What is an indie game for you?

m7600

Habitué
I don't think that a small team size is enough. It's a necessary condition, but not a sufficient one. The lack of corporate ties is, I think, just as important. Recall DnD Beyond's 10 minute introductory adventure. That game was probably made by a much smaller team than Larian, or the team that made Alan Wake 2. It was probably made by two or three people at most. And with a far smaller budget, I would imagine. Still, that introductory adventure is not an indie game. Not by a long shot. The reason is that it was made by Wizards of the Coast, a big corporation. It doesn't matter how small the team is or how little money they spent on it. As long as it was produced by a big corporation, it cannot be an independent game, by definition.

The real question is if Larian and Remedy Entertainment are big corporations or not. I would say no, they aren't. Not yet, at least. Are they indie studios? Not quite. They're in a gray area. To use an analogy, Warcraft 1 was an indie game when it was released, because Blizzard Entertainment was arguably an indie studio at the time. Warcraft 3 is definitely not an indie game, because by that time Blizzard was a big corporation. Warcraft 2, by contrast, was in a grayish area. Blizzard was no longer indie at that time, but it hadn't become a big corporation yet. Larian and Remedy Entertainment are in the same gray area that Blizzard was when they published Warcraft 2.

Or at least that's my take on it, for now. I might change my mind, though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Owlcat. I don't think they're an indie studio, but they're not a big corporation either. They're in the same gray area that Larian and Remedy Entertainment are.

Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out, I didn't ask the question in the OP without a reason...

Seems like (and it's great) we all here are more reasonable than the jury members for the Game Awards.

m7600

Habitué
This part is mind-boggling:

"Various members of the jury that nominated Dave the Diver either didn’t know it was published by a huge corp like Nexon, or didn’t care."

It's one thing to believe that Dave the Diver is an indie game. I think it's a mistaken opinion, but at least it's an opinion. It's an entirely different thing to be a jury and not know that Dave the Diver was published by Nexon, or even worse, to just not care. Why would you even be a member of the jury in those cases?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, I'm not a fan of him, but what he's doing matters a lot for the whole industry. It's like following news about politics when you don't like what is going on, you still follow because you need to know, and you need to react. And preferably discuss with your peers so that you all collectively could resist the obvious dumbing down.

I see a lot of resistance and understanding from people in the industry. So most likely mistakes like this won't happen again, or at least, won't happen that frequently.

The discourse helps to inform people and make them understand better what independent games are.

Top Bottom