All Things Space

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly, seems nobody here does. I always wanted to, maybe in the future one day? The idea is just too appealing. For now, I'm limited to using an Android app and looking at the sky with my own eyes.

Gromit

Habitué
Since the very first time I heard and read about Black Holes I have been enthralled by them. Many times I envisioned what they may look like until finally, in 2017 the first, a supermassive black hole, was imaged called M87* located in the Messier 87 galaxy. Two years later in 2019 the second black hole known as Sgr A* was photographed by EHT. That image looks like this:
eso1907a-1600x900.jpg

The rings white-hot plasma is estimated to be 10 billion degrees K or 18 billion degrees F with a mass around 4 million times that of the Sun, but it's size would fit the orbit of Venus! This black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way. Once the thought was no light ever escaped a black hole, but now it is known that some light does exist just beyond the point of no return.

I would love to see better images of these in the coming months and years.

m7600

Habitué
Since the very first time I heard and read about Black Holes I have been enthralled by them. Many times I envisioned what they may look like until finally, in 2017 the first, a supermassive black hole, was imaged called M87* located in the Messier 87 galaxy. Two years later in 2019 the second black hole known as Sgr A* was photographed by EHT. That image looks like this:
eso1907a-1600x900.jpg

The rings white-hot plasma is estimated to be 10 billion degrees K or 18 billion degrees F with a mass around 4 million times that of the Sun, but it's size would fit the orbit of Venus! This black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way. Once the thought was no light ever escaped a black hole, but now it is known that some light does exist just beyond the point of no return.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Since the very first time I heard and read about Black Holes I have been enthralled by them.

Yes, yes, YES!

For me personally, Black Holes are the MOST exciting topic in science along with the very beginning moment of the Big Bang.

Researchers actually used computer simulations of Black Holes and machine learning to generate a revised version of the famous first image you've shared.

black holes.jpg.png

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
This fascinating lecture presents arguments of why there may not be any other life in the universe. Quite frankly, it's the most compelling and intellectually sound discussion I've heard on the topic. It is 'must watch,' imho.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
I think statistically it's improbable there is no other life in the universe. The recent discovery of organic compounds in an asteroid is a good indication that the seeds for carbon-based life forms are common. Now how common it is, if there is life in this galaxy or if the nearest lifeform is a million galaxies away, those are all unknown. There is no certainty it exists. Also, no way to know the probability of other intelligent life elsewhere. We just don't have the data.

So do I affirm there is life elsewhere. Nope. Not at all. We don't have enough data for that. If I think it's highly probable. Yes. Recent discoveries on Mars, the Asteroid belt and even some exoplanets give us good clues there may be life out there.

If there is life, is it intelligent? Again, not enough data so unless we find a construction so huge we can see it from here or if a fleet of alien ships suddenly arrive here there is no proof. We have no idea or data to judge how common intelligent life is if there is life out there. :alien:

Last edited:

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
It's a fascinating subject. I don't have nearly enough scientific knowledge to have a truly informed opinion, but I read about this stuff sometimes and try to understand it (along with cosmology and other topics in physics that are over my head, and will probably remain so). Until watching that video, I was firmly in the camp of: 'statistically there must be life out there.' I found this lecture interesting in that he demonstrates that, based on our current understanding of life, and in lieu of meaningful data to evaluate certain variables, this argument is fairly meaningless at present. I also found the bit on extremophiles really interesting. Of course, he doesn't say there isn't life out there, just that our reasoning for assuming there is, isn't sound. My own intuition is that there definitely could and maybe should be life out there, but, again, what do I know?

And again, if so, is there a reason?

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
fermi paradox? thats hot.
My pet conspiracy theory is that the aliens built a protective perimeter around the solar system to protect the primitives from contacting other life too early :alien:
It's a fascinating subject. I don't have nearly enough scientific knowledge to have a truly informed opinion, but I read about this stuff sometimes and try to understand it (along with cosmology and other topics in physics that are over my head, and will probably remain so). Until watching that video, I was firmly in the camp of: 'statistically there must be life out there.' I found this lecture interesting in that he demonstrates that, based on our current understanding of life, and in lieu of meaningful data to evaluate certain variables, this argument is fairly meaningless at present. I also found the bit on extremophiles really interesting. Of course, he doesn't say there isn't life out there, just that our reasoning for assuming there is, isn't sound. My own intuition is that there definitely could and maybe should be life out there, but, again, what do I know?

And again, if so, is there a reason?
We are finding more evidence of life building blocks in space. We also found what may be bacterial fossil from Martian samples, still unconfirmed. We found at least two planets with methane or CO2/O2 cycles that are indicative of the presence of life... all indirect and still inconclusive but it makes the balance shift to the "there's probably something alive out there" side

m7600

Habitué
One thing that I will point out about Kipping's presentation is that he uses the term "optimism" to refer to the belief that aliens probably exist. However, if we're talking about Lovecraftian aliens, then I would much rather be a pessimist than an optimist or an agnostic. It seems to me that it would be far better to be alone in the Universe than to have to share it with Cthulhu.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
One thing that I will point out about Kipping's presentation is that he uses the term "optimism" to refer to the belief that aliens probably exist. However, if we're talking about Lovecraftian aliens, then I would much rather be a pessimist than an optimist or an agnostic. It seems to me that it would be far better to be alone in the Universe than to have to share it with Cthulhu.
Not a problem if he exists on the other side of the observable Universe and can't travel faster than ligh 🔭

Top Bottom