An article I wrote about different D&D Editions.

Fandraxx

Habitué
Hey all,

I've been writing article accompaniments to many of my videos over the past few weeks and figured that I would share one of them here. Got asked a pretty interesting question by a commenter about what I thought about the different editions of D&D and really wanted to elaborate on it. There's also some other stuff up there, including a short story I wrote awhile ago, for anyone interested.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
A good read. I think your opinion shared there is quite popular. I'm not a tabletop player myself, and all my acquaintances with D&D editions happened in games:

2E in BG
3E in NWN
4E (kinda) in PoE
5E in the Early Access of BG3

Just judging by the digital adaptations of these editions in the games from the list above, I would say I enjoyed the systems from BG the most, but I also can say that the new Pathfinder games, which are not DnD obviously, were fun as well. Pathfinder began when fans of the old 3.5 edition D&D system and designers for the old system were upset by the switch to the 4th edition and the changes it brought, so I guess I like 3.5 as well.

With PoE, I felt it was too "balanced" and a bit boring. With BG3, I think I haven't played it enough, and also have no idea about what gameplay will be like after getting to lvl 5 and above. On lvls 1-4 it felt a bit limited, to be honest.

m7600

Habitué
Nice article!

I'm not a tabletop player myself, and all my acquaintances with D&D editions happened in games:

2E in BG
3E in NWN
4E (kinda) in PoE
5E in the Early Access of BG3

If you wanna complete the list, you could try 1E in Pool of Radiance! It was released just one year before the publication of 2nd edition. But it seems that there was a lot of communication between the developers and TSR, since a few 2nd edition rules made it into Pool of Radiance. Most notably, THAC0. But, overall, it uses 1st edition rules. For example, the classical first level spell Sleep, which appears in every edition of D&D, is extremely powerful in 1st edition, because any attack made against a sleeping character or monster automatically kills them. Compare this to, say, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, where you can't always Coup de Grace a fallen enemy, and even when you can, it's not an automatic kill, instead you have to make a roll.

Fandraxx

Habitué
With PoE, I felt it was too "balanced" and a bit boring. With BG3, I think I haven't played it enough, and also have no idea about what gameplay will be like after getting to lvl 5 and above. On lvls 1-4 it felt a bit limited, to be honest.

I think it's going to be very interesting to see how 5E plays out in digital. The reality is that combat in 5E is pretty simple in comparison to basically every edition before it, especially in the way it was turned into a singular turn-per-character (i.e. no speed factors or anything like that). Games like Solasta have seemed to do well, but time will tell in relation how good it can actually be.

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
I experienced 4th edition in a video game when I played the Neverwinter MMO. I thought it was - just okay. I didn't hate it. But it was definitely my least favorite edition, with 5th coming in just ahead. Like a lot of people, I absolutely hated what they did to the lore (Spellplague? So many of my beloved pantheon gods dying?)

It's probably my age talking, but my favorites ranked in order are:
1) 1st edition AD&D (my high school and college memories)
2) 2nd edition. (BG dominates my memories of mature adulthood during the early 2000's)
3) 3rd edition. (Heavy Neverwinter Nights play during my transitional years into middle age)
4) 5th edition. (Not much experience with this yet, to be honest. I tried Solasta and couldn't connect with it.)
5) 4th edition.

m7600

Habitué
4th edition is the last one on my list as well. I don't actively dislike it, it's just that I think that the other editions are better. I get what they wanted to do with the Spellplague, and it I think it was a cool idea. It just wasn't executed well. An apocalyptic, world-shattering event like that needs to be perfectly executed in order to win over the fans instead of alienating them. I know that it can be done because I've seen examples of such events that were done perfectly in other franchises, such as Vampire: The Masquerade and Magic: The Gathering.

As for 3rd edition video games, I gotta mention The Temple of Elemental Evil and Icewind Dale 2. I know that a lot of people dislike them, especially IWD2. But, for anyone that can't or doesn't want to play tabletop D&D, but still wants to check out 3rd edition rules, I'd definitely recommend them.

5th edition is cool. I really like the advantage / disadvantage mechanic, that's probably my favorite feature from this edition. And they're doing a lot of other stuff besides rules. They brought back Spelljammer! : )

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Same as Antimatter I have no tabletop experience and only know D&D from the video game adaptations.

I would probably have agreed with @Fandraxx about the 2nd edition, but in the end I have come to the conclusion that it's simply the ruleset I'm most familiar with because of the Baldur's Gate series, and it most certainly wasn't the easiest to get into in the sense that I knew what I was doing for quite a while. (think Thac0, and spell schools with all their odds, and far too many saving throws)
Class restrictions made it complicated and a well-balanced party was a must, on the other hand you didn't need to worry much about builds, except for where to put your thief skill points or weapons points.

3rd edition, or what I know of it from Neverwinter Nights, gave more flexibility, but made it very, very complicated for me. All those multiclass options with a level of this, a level of that for all those bonus things you get, only to find out then that you should have invested one more point in DEX to take the next one in that branch, or that you miss one other choice to be able to take that prestige class... that's where the encyclopedia of build optimization started.
Which you don't need in a tabletop game, I assume. But in a computer game that gives you only one restricted henchman, or that lets you play on a variety of multiplayer servers (which I have never done), it can make quite a difference.

5E? No idea. I have seen a bit of BG3 Early access gameplay of course, but not enough to form an opinion (and the way that is going, I'm not buying it before release), and I backed the 5E campaign book Raiders of the Serpent Sea on Kickstarter, but as @Brent Knowles said in his thread about it here, apparently 5th edition is easier to get into than the older ones, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works.
And since Fandraxx said 5E gives more room for roleplaying, that sounds good to me too.

One issue I have with D&D rules in general are the dice. Yeah, yeah, I know, people whining about unfair dice or incorrect odds appear all the time, I don't mean that.
In a game with friends, this random element of chance is fine, adds to fun or frustration and evens out the chances a bit.
In a video game, especially when it comes to fights, I prefer a tactical approach, not a game of chance. So while I need to be careful at lower levels, there's a point in a game where I would like to control the fight or fail it through application of my skills, ideas I have, calculating how the enemies might react and prepare or counter accordingly.
What I don't like are "save or else" scenarios, where I survive only through a lucky saving throw, or where the whole outcome relies on lucky dice rolls that I might repeat a few times for success. If luck hits, I'll take it of course, but I want to find a solution that makes it possible to succeed without save-scumming.

What especially bothered me in NWN 3rd edition were critical failures. I get it that no matter how honed your skills are, mistakes happen and perfection doesn't exist. But please, what's the equivalent of rolling a 1 and missing when we're talking about a highly trained fighter being able to fight blindfolded but missing a hit with a hammer on a big unmoving object? (I know, critical misses could be deactivated. I did.)

Aerakar

Habitué
I think @BelgarathMTH nailed it for me as well, almost exactly:

1) 1st edition AD&D (my high school and college memories)
2) 2nd edition. (BG dominates my memories of mature adulthood during the early 2000's)
3) 3rd edition. (Heavy Neverwinter Nights play during my transitional years into middle age)

I wonder if D&D is like music, you like most what you play/hear in high school? :)

Black Elk

Habitué
Fun read!

I think edition matters in this one respect, that I very much want to see a "6th Edition" Dungeons & Dragons.

I think the person who came up with the name "D&D One" should be instantly fireball'd hehe. The only worse name I can even think up would be if they called it D&D+ like yet another streaming service, or D&DX I guess lol. But honestly it's nearly that bad.

New Editions which get a source book, but not a number, immediately become "previous edition .5" when talking shop, which is mildly infuriating. Like just own up and give us a full integer right? I don't know why, but I feel especially protective and annoyed that they chose to do this right before hitting the occult sweet spot with 6.

Like maybe if it was 7th edition or 6.5, and they went to One, then whatever, but I wanted to see that 6 in print with the typography and style it deserves! Anything short of that, and I gotta gripe hehehe

Each edition of D&D, in addition to the rules, also has a particular art direction which is distinct and comes to define that era in D&D as a visual shorthand. The art they choose for the covers, the illustrations in the margins, the layouts, the style of the logo font even. I want to see the 6th edition branding in full regalia, like a Heraclitean multiplicity of D&D editions. Parmenides can kick rocks on this one. Obviously you don't get to do "D&D One" and have it been cool, until you've already done 10 numbered editions. Because then 10 can = One, and maybe that's cool. But meantime, since they aren't there yet, just give me the 6!

That's what I want

:devilish:

Anyhow, again good read!

Last edited:
Top Bottom