Baldur's Gate III News

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
According to PCGamer and other sources, it seems that preload in general isn't possible with/allowed by Steam if a title has been in Early Access.
Preload will only be available for PS5 release.

That means for my timezone Aug 3 at 5 PM is when I can start downloading and installing... So it might not be until Aug 4 after work that character creation can start for me... pity.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
And here's the extract from the Larian Gazette about the tadpole use.
It still doesn't tell us too much about negative consequences of its use except for some companions' disapproval or others of them upgrading their own tadpole powers though...

Wield the Power of A Mind Flayer​

When we announced and launched Baldur's Gate 3's Early Access back in 2020, we ran with the line “Mysterious abilities are awakening inside you, drawn from a mind flayer parasite planted deep within your brain,” and since, we never really expanded on what this meant mechanically. We hinted right from the get-go that mind flayers would be a central pillar in our story, which we’ve explored many times since then, but now it’s time to explore how it ties into the RPG systems of Baldur’s Gate 3.​
c3e010b4948d167b2fa5ca49ec5e653ff91bc2772ca4f19b824ced94ee0d4244.jpg
While these creatures may be a source of great power, all that they offer comes with a cost. As the parasites' hosts, you must make a choice. Will you resist the powers and the corruption that comes with them or will you embrace them, risking your body, mind and soul to save the Realms... or destroy them?

If your desire for power outweighs your concern for the well-being of anyone else, or if you simply think psionic levitation would be a really neat party trick, then Illithid Powers may be for you.

Illithid Powers are a hidden skill tree used to enhance your command over your newfound illithid capabilities. Those who wish to harness the parasites' power must first find more of these parasites throughout the Forgotten Realms – some can be located inside jars and in pools of brine, others within the skulls of the infected. And then you must consume them.​
f6815ebb245b91ca3c9e8507dfbfb3b9a7cb0e03c777cb8d9eef162ad686a06d.png
Each parasite consumed unlocks one new Illithid Power within a skill tree of 25 powerful mind-flayer-inspired abilities, completely separate to the options you have when you level up in a traditional sense. These are divided into five branches themed around manipulation, health restoration, psionics, and abilities that can inflict immense damage and torment enemies to gradually weaken them over time. Some abilities can be used to control those around you, pushing them to say things in dialogue they would otherwise not. Others endow you with the power to push and pull enemies like ragdolls during battle.​
ff1ce125291409fc3f2fcd96cecd86d86008b71112f321342b4b4f97d6b0f289.gif
You can even become a displacer beast.

The deeper you go through the illithid skill tree, the more powers you'll discover. But nothing comes without cost. While your companions can also consume parasites to gain their powers, not everyone in your party will agree to it, and your companions' perception of you can undergo a significant shift based on how you approach this opportunity.

Things can also get a bit more… complicated. But we won’t spoil it. That’s for you to discover.​

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Only a few hours left!

The last community update here strongly recommends the following steps to ensure a smooth launch:

1. Delete your in-game Early Access saves

2. Uninstall the Early Access version

3. Delete your mods

Steps in detail how to proceed to make sure everything's clean can be found in the link. Having the Early Access installed will NOT speed up download and installation of the full game, and keeping the saves (backup of them can still be stored somewhere else) can lead to issues.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Very excited, -- it's only 30 mins left until the release and thus the ability to start downloading the game. Fingers crossed Steam won't crash this time similar to the Early Access start.

Today feels like a special date, considering I've been following this game since before it had even been announced. 🥲

Juk0

Habitué
Happy BG3 day!! i remember seeing comments before about some people not being able to play it when it comes out cause of the time it releases in their country along with the download speed not being fast enough :< I hope you guys get to play it soon and enjoy it!! Looking forward to watching videos on the different playthroughs soon :3

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Happy BG3 Day everyone! Does anyone have tips to recommend for beginners to get through the Druid class? (unless its not recommended at all) Heard its not very newbie friendly (Druid Wiki)
I haven't played as a druid yet, but you need to put 16 points in your Wisdom, obviously, and focus on either Constitution or Dexterity for another 16. Put everything else as you see fit. You'll start at lvl 1 and will slowly get to know the game from one level to another, so actual neat features of the druid class, e.g. shapeshifting or picking a subclass, will happen later in the game. It's a friendly class for new users as you'll be able to talk to animals in this game, and talking to animals is a big deal.

Xzarloxara

Innkeeper
Staff member
Happy BG3 Day everyone! Does anyone have tips to recommend for beginners to get through the Druid class? (unless its not recommended at all) Heard its not very newbie friendly (Druid Wiki)
I started as a druid, and haven't had any trouble yet in the short time I have played the game. Not sure that helps much though... One thing I did like about my druid was that she had access to a spell which helped grab loot during a timed battle near the end of the prologue.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
Druids may be a little tricky. Choice of spells and deciding when it's better to shapeshift, for instance. But the only way to learn is playing one so go for it and you have doubts just ask them here or open a new thread :)

Butters

Habitué
I haven't played as a druid yet, but you need to put 16 points in your Wisdom, obviously, and focus on either Constitution or Dexterity for another 16. Put everything else as you see fit. You'll start at lvl 1 and will slowly get to know the game from one level to another, so actual neat features of the druid class, e.g. shapeshifting or picking a subclass, will happen later in the game. It's a friendly class for new users as you'll be able to talk to animals in this game, and talking to animals is a big deal.
The 'talking to animals' is definitely the main factor that drew me in! Thanks for this. There need to be more existing step-by-step intro tips somewhere cause some build guides are still hard to follow ><

Butters

Habitué
I started as a druid, and haven't had any trouble yet in the short time I have played the game. Not sure that helps much though... One thing I did like about my druid was that she had access to a spell which helped grab loot during a timed battle near the end of the prologue.
Thats great! Hopefully, the game goes easy on me. A friend of mine said this will be great introduction to the DND universe

Top Bottom