Did you know? (Infinity Engine games' secrets)

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I remember how I tried to charm cats to make them kill those rats Reevor asks you to clear. I thought it would be appropriate.

I also remember how in the pre-EE times a lone cat could sound an alarm and invite guards if you dared to steal from one of the containers this cat observed.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Well, I remember how I tried to charm cats to make them kill those rats Reevor asks you to clear. I thought it would be appropriate.

I also remember how in the pre-EE times a lone cat could sound an alarm and invite guards if you dared to steal from one of the containers this cat observed.

Well charming a cat to kill rats sounds reasonable. The cat in Candlekeep was probably as motivated as the one in that video, though :ROFLMAO:
Unlike the cat that sounds an alarm. By the way, that's where our Tavern goose would do an amazing job.

I sometimes tried to charm the bats in the underground temple of Bhaal to distract Sarevok and his gang for at least a few moments. It just never worked as well as I hoped. But the idea of the great evil Sarevok waving his hands trying to bat away the bats swirling around his head was just too much fun.

Chronicler

Habitué
I really wonder if people found that out by accident or if someone runs through a game actually trying to kill everything that moves. If so, you totally deserve being haunted by innocent cows with their beautiful sad eyes in your dreams! :p

(Or cats, of course. Shame on you.)
When I was really new to the game I was pretty big on just interacting with anything any way I could and looking for fun touches. That did mean killing a lot of stuff (and then promptly reloading). I remember being really impressed by the attention to detail in this game but honestly I think I've forgotten most of those unique interactions at this point.

There was a certain childish wonder to just going in every house to see what I could find. I remember being really blown away by one house where the woman's lover was hiding in the closet, but I haven't been to that house in years. There must not have been any treasure in it or something because it never became a part of my ingrained habits when running through the campaign.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
10. "I'se The B'y" (also I's The Bye), a traditional Newfoundland folk song/ballad, is referenced in BG 2: Shadows of Amn. You can read about the song here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I's_the_B'y

The credit of this discovery goes to u/Underkiing on Reddit.

41iaswuvlia81.jpg

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
11. This one is really mysterious. The end-game fight in Siege of Dragonspear has some music reminding of the LotR music. And SoD composer Sam Hulick can't tell how it got there. It's the tune that played in the famous Gandalf vs Balrog scene in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Sounds fitting, though, for the devil fight. ;)

Twitter link.

Reddit link.

HarbsNarbs

Habitué
I love this thread!

So, I posted this one on Reddit a while ago, but in BG1, if you look in Volo's inventory he has an acquamarine gem which in FR lore can usually only be found in the north of Faerûn.

Volo's Guide to the North is set in 1366DR with BG1 being set in 1368DR. It's a possible nod to his time there.

I tweeted this at Ed Greenwood and he gave it a like (a pity like perhaps?).

Anyway, it would be cool if this was intentional.
mqdt9hd4hky41.png

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
3. In the Enhanced Edition, bard songs stack if these are different songs. For example, an Enhanced Bard Song and a Skald song will stack for the following effects: +8 damage, -8 THAC0, -8 AC, 5% Magic Resistance and immunity to fear/stun/confusion/normal weapons on all your characters.

The Unkitted Bard song (up to +3 Luck) and the Blade song (+1 Luck) will also stack (but there is a current bug that the Unkitted Bard song doesn't affect summons).

I have used this to great advantage on certain runs. Skald/Haer'dalis was a lot of fun.

Actually kind of blows my mind that Irenicus only got a backstory at the last minute. I always felt that he felt weirdly out of place in the trilogy. BG1 and TOB are on topic, BG2 is a very lengthy sidequest.

Top Bottom