Black Elk

Habitué
Here's a few of mine, like from way back when hehe

Which Dragons were your favs?

71S8Dvp89cL._SL800_.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
1534868_877374998997586_8261211556232839387_o.jpg
904207970_eaf4da6dc1_o.jpg
MV5BMjEwZGFkOTItYTBiNS00NWIyLWJiY2QtNTFkOWQ0NWY4ZDQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3NDgwNzU@._V1_.jpg
card00511_fr.jpg
874f9dd395b22e2ec82b7895f0b91c95.jpg
partha.png
dragonslayer-2-1680212997231.jpg
tsr.png
TSR(1).jpg
20231115_005204.jpg
TSR(2).jpg

m7600

Habitué
3rd edition Draconomicon cover is really beautiful. Actually most of the art in that book is amazing.
Todd Lockwood's designs for the Draconomicon were truly revolutionary, they marked a before and after. Before that book, the bodies of dragons were mostly based on crocodiles, iguanas and lizards. This is why old-school dragons tend to look a bit fat and slow. Lockwood decided to use a different inspiration, the bodies of his dragons are based on cat anatomy. He took inspiration from lions, tigers, panthers, etc. That's why his dragons look more lean, predatory and agile. Today, almost every artist that has to design dragons follows Lockwood's footsteps, taking inspiration from cat anatomy instead of reptile anatomy for the bodies.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
Just to spoil it a little... I'm an evil alien, don't blame me :)

Black Elk

Habitué
Mine was devoured by time, but this one... The 1999 printing! hehe

s-l1600.jpg

Different head on the front from the 1990, so it might have been apocryphal, but that was my golden go to lol

Here's some extra grit...

https://www.etymonline.com/word/chroma and it's near relation

grit (n.)
Old English greot "sand, dust, earth, gravel," from Proto-Germanic *greutan "tiny particles of crushed rock" (source also of Old Saxon griot, Old Frisian gret, Old Norse grjot "rock, stone," German Grieß "grit, sand"), from PIE *ghreu- "rub, grind" (source also of Lithuanian grūdas "corn, kernel," Old Church Slavonic gruda "clod"). Sense of "pluck, spirit, firmness of mind" first recorded American English, 1808.

Like making colors from the dirt of the earth, crushing lapis, whatever hehe.

I like the idea that Tiamat has 5 heads. To me this recalls the pentalpha

5 senses, 5 fingers, 5 joys, a five spot and five on it like the apple star, or like Gawain in the grail cycle where he repped it on the shield, or the even older stuff lifted from Pythagoreans, cause the scales are right after the grit thing, like the very next entry in the etymn hehe.

Also cause Tiamats name is a chaos callback, to the encircling river Ocean and cosmogenesis, Lotan Python drakes and all that, I like that it got salty.

Inverted, so the malevolent magnificent version. I feel like purple dragons and black dragons are particularly related, though I have no lore to support the claim hehe.

mary_blair.jpg

From the other video making the rounds, and remembrances of elementary school, it's real hard to make Purple from Red and Blue in the tube. This doesn't usually give a Purple like what we tend to think of, indigo, purple, violet but something more brownish and muted most likely. Makes sense I guess for the browns and the grays. It's because red and blue are imperfect primaries as pigments.

As light they work, like if combining a red light with a blue light, you'll see the purple light between them, but as paint it's hard to add more chroma to the standard primaries without busting open another tube. Not that dragons need to work like paint does necesssarily, but since the vid does go there...To make actual purple in pigment we'd need to mix Magenta with Cyan, or a very cool red plus a very warm blue. The CMY vs RGB dragonoic lineages maybe?

Dragons vs Giants is basically like Primordials vs the Titans for the old gods right?

So maybe like Dendar the world eating serpent of night and oblivion mates with the luminous cosmic dragon of the stars, in the first dream, and births Tiamat and Bahamut and the rest in that moment? In this Dragonology Tiamat would represent the absorption of light (like pigment), while Bahamut represents the reflection of light, or something along those lines.

Other dragons can just kinda get folded into it that way as a battle royal among the various siblings in the proto factions. The 5 heads there would represent the Chromatic lineage as RGB, plus Black and White as tints (which are only sorta vague echoes of the true primordial drakes.) Tiamat having somehow overthrown her CMY sister dragon, then assumes the mantle later on, like after that power grab. So the base of the pentacle star in the age of Tiamat's ascendance would be Black and White lineage at the feet of the star, Red at the crown, Blue and Green on either wing, to make the evil drake star. But it's like all the one will, under Tiamat's gaze.

tiamat_pentagram.png

This explains the visualization on the cover of Tyranny of Dragons, where the heads are colored in that sort of position. Sorta the best visualization we're gonna get for a classic rendition on her.

tod_alduin_900p.png

In that sort of hot take, the secondary dragon colors that aren't covered in the dragon color wheel orthodoxy, could make a reappearance. Cause her Tiamat, and her chosen Chromatic dragons would be like an affront to the true Light Dragon. Light is RBG, so it doesn't need the yellow, this can be made by mixing Red and Green light, but if Tiamat is false and deceiving, it would maybe be the CMY aspect was slayed long ago, or perhaps simply forgotten? The Yellow dragons all retreating into the briny deep or flying so fast that no one can see them anymore. Might work!

To get it to really sing though, they'd need to somehow mythologize that into the Dodecahedron. Basically so you could somehow end up here...

1280px-Pitch_class_space_star.png

Which is a geometric challenge, cause like the heads are always moving around probably hehe. Good old dragons!

The claws should look like this!

Fig_02_combined.jpg

Fig_03_combined.jpg

advanced.jpg

Just hording all the wiki treasures lol

Last edited:

m7600

Habitué
There are also Brown Dragons, Pink Dragons, and Gray Dragons in D&D

On the metallic side, there's Iron Dragons, Steel Dragons, Mercury Dragons, Tungsten Dragons, and some other's that I don't remember right now.

Top Bottom