Duck and Cover: Fallout Permadeath Runs for the Undiscerning Wastelander

Vault-Tec Quality Assurance Survey: Your Opinion Matters!

• 2. No one cares. Seal it up and bury it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. It's fine and all, but you're assuming too much. Nobody has played this game. Explain more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Banner_fallout_collection_1200x1200.png

Hey there, hi there, everyone! Those of you who follow the "What Game Am I Playing" thread know that I've been playing Fallout permadeath style. Some of you may recall that I vowed not to start a thread on this. Evidently I lied, because here we are.

Why the change of heart? Who knows. Who cares. We are where we are. So let's get on with it, shall we?

Let's start with a question and answer session:

Q: Why are you playing Fallout in 2024?

A: Because I saw the show on Amazon Prime. I also buy pumpkin spice lattes every October. Draw what conclusions you will

Q: Which Fallout games will you be playing?

A: I'm playing on an Xbox. That means I'll be rocking the Bethesda games and the Bethesda games only. Stings, right? If I owned a PC I'd Totes McGoats be playing 1 & 2. All hail Black Isle Studios

Q: What difficulty setting will you be playing on?

A: Fallout is very easy, so we'll be playing on Very Hard.

Q: Will you be roleplaying?

A: Yes, when I feel like it. No, when I don't. No promises. I'm not taking this seriously. You shouldn't either.

Q: Will you be metagaming?

A: Do you have one of those Men in Black memory eraser thingies? If not then, yes. I know too much about the game world. It's unavoidable. I'll try to keep it on the DL, but it will be happening, everywhere and always. I promise you.

Q: Why are you calling your No Reload runs permadeath runs? You always call them No Reloads in BG.

A: Because this is Fallout, not BG, and I like to do things all proper like. In BG, permadeath runs are No Reloads. In Fallout, No Reloads are permadeath runs. If you'd like to know why, consult your local anthropological linguist. Not my job.

Q: Why should I care about this?

A: You shouldn't. Life is meaningless. A Fallout permadeath run won't change that. Then again, if life is meaningless, why not care? Really: Why not? I ask you.

Ok! Enough with the preliminaries. I'll start posting on my current run semi-soon. Duck and cover, y'all.

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Vault 101 to Megaton- Thirsty Partner?

Who's the real villain of Fallout 3? I vote for Deputy Weld. Think about it. He spends the whole fracking game standing in front of Megaton saying "Thirsty, partner?" And who is the only person in earshot? That would be Micky- Micky who is dying of thirst. That's cold even for a robot.

In a perfect world Lilith would set him straight. And if you're wondering who Lilith is, she's my Fallout character. It's not her first rodeo.
1.jpg

Lilith has already completed a permadeath run on Very Hard. She won't be trailblazing here. She'll just be doing it again, more and better. We'll see how it goes. Here she is fresh faced, cherub like, straight out of the vault.
2.jpg

Her SPECIAL stats can be seen here:
3.jpg

Her TAG skills are energy weapons, repair and sneak. Of those sneak and repair are the most important, especially sneak. We'll be dumping all our early point into that. But we're getting ahead of ourselves, aren't we?

Our story begins at the exit of Vault 101, because I am so done with baby stepping to daddy. Lilith collected all the things from the vault, as one does, and is now overlooking the Wasteland.

Lilith's first move was to secure suitable housing. Springvale seemed a promising prospect. Alas, the only house left standing was occupied by one Sara Silver. Lilith's hasty entrance led to a misunderstanding, and in the Wasteland misunderstandings usually end with someone getting shot in the face. Fortunately, that someone was Ms. Silver, not our heroine, Lilith.

With Sara's caps and drugs in tow, Lilith headed to Megaton. There she found Crow, the Wasteland trader. With our repair skill already at a respectable 38, 43 with the vault utility suit on, Lilith bought all of Crow's leather armor. The padded vault suit scores major style point, but leather is better. It has a higher DR and they both weigh the same.

Here we see Lilith astride Megaton wearing her spiffy new leather armor. Be advised, mole rats: you're overmatched.
6.jpg

With her first Perk going to Intense Training: Perception, and a pre-war baseball cap on her noggin, Lilth is now at Perception 10, ideal for casing enemies from the shadows. Once the mole rats were dead, we snagged the sniper rifle from its hidey hole. You know, the rock thing. Now we're ready for Megaton.
8.jpg
Like the good starter village that it is, Megaton has a splendid assortment of non-combat quests. We fixed the pipes, disarmed the bomb, and helped out Moira by basking in Atom's glow. That brought us to Level 3. We took Black Widow, and dumped all our points into sneak. Now clad in leather armor, and with her sniper rifle newly repaired by Moira, Lilith is ready for the Super Duper Mart. Say your prayers, raiders. It's going to be a rough night.

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: The Super Duper Mart- VATS, You're Killing Me Here

Is it just me or is the Super Duper Mart the best part of Fallout 3? That was a rhetorical question. I know it's not just me. It clearly is the best part of Fallout 3. There's no debating it. It's all downhill from here.

The journey to the Super Duper Mart was largely uneventful. We went all Kristi Noem on this puppy-wup but that was it.
1.jpg
Upon arrival Lilith was met by a trio of Talon Company assassins. Already? Holy frack. In case you forgot, dear reputation tracking algorithm, I murdered Sara Silver in her own kitchen and stole all her junk. Saint from the vault indeed.

Lilith doesn't mess around with assassins, so she immediately equipped her frag grenades. Come on, come a little closer.
2.jpg
There you go!
3.jpg
And now for the moment you've all be waiting for. Meet the Flying Talons! Give'em a round of applause!
4.jpg
Many thanks to Sara Silver's psycho stash for the assist. Is this the first time I've rolled into a supermarket loaded with drugs? No. No it isn't. It happens all the time. But if we're talking about Lilith, I think it actually is her first time. She's never buffed up in the parking lot before, as far as I recall.

If memory serves, I started this post by complaining about VATS. Actually, VATS wasn't the problem. I love VATS. Lilith just had bad luck. I usually one shot most of the raiders with stealth shots from the sniper rifle. Not this time. This time we missed very nearly every fracking time. It was down right depressing. After clearing out the fridge, we swung over to the pharmacy, approaching along the wall. The first bloke we encountered, on the ground, in the stacks, charged the instant our .308 whizzed by his head. Fearing a confrontation with multiple raiders, we fell back to the fridge and dispatched him in private. Hope you enjoyed your one on one time, Mr. Knife-to-a Gun-Fight. We're rocking a laser pistol now, mostly for style points.
5.jpg
With that squared we stealthed back over to the pharmacy side. We one shoted this tool, and then leapt over the counter, securing the key, and more, importantly, the Hallway of Doom.
6.jpg
The Hallway of Doom runs out of the room with the key. It opens onto all the raider's little hidey-holes and is perfect for laying down mines. Frag mines are sufficient for these blokes, but I highly recommend throwing a bottle cap mine or two into the mix just for funsies. Yes it's wasteful, but so is playing video games so don't go there.
7.jpg
Come one, come all to the Hallway of Doom!
8.jpg

And now for the grand finale: We finally, finally, finally landed a stealth shot with our sniper rifle. Actually, no. Having sent all of our .308s into the walls and ceiling, we finished things off with a looted assault rifle. It felt good to finally hit something with a bullet. It had been a while. Blowing peeps up is all well and good but it gets expensive.
10.jpg

And that concludes the best part of Fallout 3. What's next? Not sure. Arefu, Rivet City and Tenpenny are all candidates. Decisions, decisions.

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Q: Why should I care about this?

A: You shouldn't. Life is meaningless. A Fallout permadeath run won't change that. Then again, if life is meaningless, why not care? Really: Why not? I ask you.
HAHA. Wait... You have a point ;)

Overall, a great idea and a lovely execution. A fun thread to follow. And great screenshots! Hope it's not that difficult to transfer them from your Xbox to a PC for posting.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Rivet City to Tenpenny Tower- Down With the Wall Street Gang!

You can tell a lot about someone from their favorite radio station. Most people are into Three Dog over at GNR. I get that. Three Dog is cool and all. But he's always yapping about "fighting the good fight" and what even is that? It's painfully abstract. Who knows what he really means? As for me, I'll take the sweet sounds of Chinese propaganda any day. I tune into the People's Republic of America Radio every chance I get. Sing it, y'all!

"The gang of Wall Street fat cats, and their Washington war-monger puppets, have plunged the world into war to line their own..."

"Do you think your leaders will keep you safe if the bombs fall? You will die while the Wall Street gang and their hangers-on live like kings..."

Sure, PRAR is a mouth piece for an oppressive state, but they also kind of get it. Real talk: Do you think your leaders will keep you safe if the bombs fall? Won't you die while the Wall Street gang and their hangers-on live like kings? Maybe "bombs fall" is a little far fetched these days, but substitute your pet fear -be it climate change or mid-twentieth economic collapse- and ask yourself the same questions. Do it. I'm waiting.

Huh, that got dark, didn't it? Whatever. All this is to say that Lilith had a lot on her mind when she rolled into Tenpenny Tower. And maybe -just maybe- PRAR had a little something to do with the outcome.

But I digress.

Since our last episode, there was what I would call a chain of causality. The Good Doctor Hoff showed up, with his drugs and Nuke Grenade Schematics. That made Lilith poor. Now impoverished, a visit to Tenpenny Tower made sense. But Tenpenny Tower requires a quality gun, like, say, a Chinese assault rifle. A Chinese assault rifle can be found in Grayditch, but Grayditch requires .308s and Moira's stash is tapped. Looks like we're going to Rivet City.

We fast travelled to the Super Duper Mart, and then stealthed south, towards Rivet City. Along the way, we swung by Whilhem's Warf, just to see if Grandma Sparkle is still cooking up that fire yao guai meat. Nice. We'll come back once we have some caps.
3.jpg
Evidentally the sun set or clouds rolled in between Grandma Sparkle's and The Citadel. Something like that. I'm not 100% sure why the next screenshots are dark. I will say this: I've never been more sketched out on the trip down to Rivet City. Sure, if you're a noob and you travel on the other side of the Potomac things get dicey, but if you stay to the west it's usually smooth sailing, nothing to fear. Not this time. Lilith noticed The Citadel guns ablazin'
4.jpg
She took a gander with VATS, and neither of us liked what we saw. No thank you!
5.jpg
The onward journey south was pretty chill, although a northward wandering mire lurk sent us into the Potomac a little earlier than expected. We took a Rad X to offset the additional radiation, dropped in and swam for paradise. You do have .308s in stock, right Flak? Disco.
7.jpg
We're ready for Grayditch. Time to climb those ruins and find our sniper nest. Ok, now come to mama!
8.jpg
Keep this up, creepy crawlies, and we're going to get along just fine.
9.jpg
The workers were all one hit nixed. How about the soldiers?
10.jpg
They took a few .308s each but they fell, too.
11.jpg
With the coast cleared, we equipped our assault rifle and headed down to the ground.
12.jpg
We found Mr. Wilks's corpse, scored the Chinese assault rifle and -most importantly- found this garden gnome.
14.jpg
I say most importantly because I have two objectives in this run. I want to complete my second Permadeath run on Very Hard, yada-yada, but I also want to fill my spare room with garden gnomes. Stack the bodies high and the garden gnomes higher. That's the plan.

Not going to lie, the trip down to Tenpenny Tower was a nuisance. We were ambushed by three dogs and by that I don't mean the disc jockey Three Dog I mean three actual dogs. That was the sketchiest moment in the run so far. On top of that there were mole rats galore and enough bloat flies to make your 5.56s go bye, bye. Lilth persevered, though, and, after a trip to Lucky's to snag some new shades, she was ready to conduct the Warrington Trainyard's rendition of Swan Lake. Places everyone, places!
17.jpg
Well done, darling, well done!
18.jpg
There was more of that in the tunnels. Just use your imagination there. This post has too many screenshots as is.

Speaking of gratuitous screenshots, here's a snap of Lilith's pow-wow with Roy Phillips. Anyone else detect the influence of People's Republic of America Radio?
19.jpg
We scored our key from Herbet Dashwood this time and in all honesty I felt bad about this one. Lilith has no comment.
20.jpg
Opening the basement door brought Lilith to Level 5. We're at 100 stealth already, so we're working on Repair now. Good timing, too, since Repair is helpful when you're looting.
23.jpg
Personality test one is your favorite radio station. Personality test two is what you do while the ghouls are tearing up Tenpenny Tower.
25.jpg
Lilith picks out her pre-war bonnet. She'll be rocking that for the rest of the run.
26.jpg
That's better. Now we can enjoy the show.
27.jpg
While the ghouls finished up the ground floor, Lilith checked the corpses for keys. That's a nice one.
28.jpg
I'm not sure why Lydia Montenegro, proprietor of Boutique Le Chic, is wearing a dirty pre-war spring outfit. Lilith is an interloper from the Wasteland and she has, like, six brand spanking new pre-war spring outfits by now. Whatever. Back to work. That's a fat stack of garden gnomes right there. Progress.
30.jpg
Let's survey the carnage, shall we? Shakes took down Roy Phillips. Not bad for a drink mixing tin can.
31.jpg
Chief Gustavo looks kind of adorable, taking his nappy-poo.
32.jpg
But where the rock is Tenpenny? His outfit is lit. We totally want that. We tried and tried but we just couldn't find him. Hmmm: Now that's a clue...
33.jpg
You sneaky little devil, you! I almost didn't find you!
34.jpg
And that as they say is that: A job well done. We're looking good, and that garden gnomes collection is coming along nicely. Take that, ya Wall Street gangsters!
35.jpg

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Arefu and Minefield- Yes, Alanis, It's Ironic. Now Go Back to Sleep

In our last episode Lilith savaged Tenpenny Tower, inspired by People's Republic of America Radio's admonition to tear down the fat cats. And what, pray tell, was the reputation designation she received for that most noble deed, to the glory of the people?
1.jpg
Someone has a sick sense of humor, and this time it isn't me.

I didn't love this. I've never been evil before, and I have no idea who the evil doer hunters are, or how dangerous they might be. And so Lilith's first objective was to rehabilitate her rep. We could bribe the Church of Atom, but I really don't get why that works. Shoveling cash over to a bunch of whack jobs with asinine delusions doesn't make you a better person. It just makes you a fool.

Maybe we could give Micky some water?
1b.jpg
Oh, right. And we sold the last batch for bullets, lock and load being a higher priority than drink and live, evidently. We could say nice things to the ghoul, I guess, but that will only get us so far.

The plan, I think, is to stay away from ambush sites until Wadsworth gets those condensers running again. Minefield and Arefu seemed like safe bets.

First things first: Let's go hunting.
2.jpg
Thanks to Lydia's key, we had a dart gun schematic on hand. We were just missing one piece of the puzzle: radscorpion venom. Our little hunting trip tool care of that.

We'll head back to Megaton and Moira's workbench when when we're good and ready. For now we have some raiders to kill. Let's scope'em first.
3.jpg
These were baseball bat wielders, so the dart gun would have been nice to have, actually. No matter. We laid down a couple frag mines, and then took aim with our sniper rifle. The first raider fell before she could reach us. As for the second, so close but yet so far.
4.jpg
Now seems like a good time to forge that dart gun. Fast travel to Megaton. Go to sleep. Build that dart gun. And then bam: fast travel back. Easy right?
5.jpg
Ok, maybe not. This was a reminder that fast travel is dangerous. Sometimes you teleport into a mess.

At first I was kind of happy about this. That super mutant is wielding a nail board, so he's a perfect victim for the dart gun, with its leg crippling abilities. At first things looked great. Here we see Lilith taking aim with her assault rifle as the now crippled mutant limps forward. Steady as she goes.
6.jpg
Then -out of nowhere- we were decked with a fracking missile. Evidently there was another super mutant, this one with a missile launcher. We didn't even consider looking for him. We just healed up, took some Med X and ran for it. I don't have any screenshots here because I was in full on panic mode. I mean, frack all: A missile launcher? At the Moonbeam Cinema? That's crazy.

Once we got out of range we fast traveled back to Megaton and took a breather. We then redirected to minefield, this time on foot. And here we are: Minefield.
7B.jpg
Setting aside the ghouls and the mutants and the post apocalyptic hellscape, the Wasteland is kind of like modern day America: if you stay away from cars you'll probably be fine. Seriously, these cars have kick. Arkansas, the Minefield sniper, likes to blow them up. Lilith likes to beat him to it, detonating them from a safe distance. What's a safe distance? Farther than this.
8.jpg
Even at that range we took a beating. The damage was tolerable but we were crippled. Lilith ducked into a nearby home, rested up, and headed back out. This time we're steering way clear: Like, way clear. All good in the hood.
9.jpg
With the second car taken care of, we inched forward to the playground. From there we could gamble some .308s on taking down Arkansas at range.
10.jpg
Our odds aren't great, but this is a good gamble. There's a sniper rifle and a dozen or so .308s up there. This should be a winning proposition. Happily, it went even better than expected. Our second shot was a hit. Cha-ching!

We headed back to Moira to collect our praises and prizes. While we were there, we checked up on Wadsworth.
12.jpg
That's a relief. Making it rain on Micky got our rep back to neutral. Now the coast is clear: No ambush risk for us. We can head to Seneca Station and chit-chat with the Fam.

The trip to Meresti from Seneca is a bit sketch. There are a couple of deadly tripwires and a pair of mire lurks to deal with. If you know where the trip wires are it all boils down to the mirelurks. We took out the first mirelurk with a bottle cap mine. Conserving resources, we used frag mines and our Chinese assault rifle for the second. The coast is clear. Awesome sauce.
15.jpg
There's probably a multitude of ways to resolve this quest. I only know of one. We gave Ian Lucy's letter and high tailed it out of there. It's a good thing we're neutral now, because now we can exit the station without fear of an ambush. Right? Right?
16.jpg
White Talons? I'm not even a goody, goody ya freaks! Why are you trying to kill me? Seriously: What's up? We took all our drugs, then ignored the knife wielder and targeted his ranged support with frag grenades. Once they were toast, we finished up with our assault rifle.
17.jpg
Done and done! Now: Why the rock are you bothering me?
18.jpg
Tenpenny? Tennpeny? I'm ok with that, actually. It makes me feel better about nixing him and his coterie. I can only hope that's the end of that. For now, all we can do is put on our PJs and get some sleep. Speaking of which, I should do the same. It's 3:40am up in here.
20.jpg
Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Rivet City to the Museum of History- A Little Bit of History Repeating

Lilith has found this thread and she isn't happy. She says this isn't Baldur's Gate. I'm assuming everyone knows this game when most people don't. Maybe she has a point. But y'all aren't most people. You're people who hang out on a RPG forum. Maybe you do know the game? Maybe you don't? I'm not sure.

For those who haven't noticed, there's a poll at the top of the page now on this very subject. For those of you who have noticed and still haven't voted:
giphy.gif

For reals though, if you'd like more exposition, let me know. I can be a little less lazy, I guess. No promises. Like I said at outset: I'm not taking this seriously.

Ok, so where were we? Or, more precisely, where was Lilith? Better yet, where is Lilith?

Lilith is in the urban dungeon you kids call a metro. She's on her way to the Museum of History. She wants the Lincoln Repeater because it's bad ass.

The best way to get to the Museum of History is from Museum Station, via Anacostia, right next door to Rivet City. It's a quick jaunt, but there's raiders galore along the way. That's ok. Lilith is good at killing raiders. Very good. It's fun for her, actually- kind of her pastime. She decided to have some fun with this lovable bunch.

There were three raiders in the first batch. Three may not sound like much, but it's a lot. There's only one Lilith, after all. Divide and conquer is the name of the game. Mine and snipe is the play. We laid down a couple frag mines, and when the scout wandered a wee bit away from her brethren, we took a shot with our sniper rifle. That was a miss, but it got the scout's attention, and that's all we needed. Yes, yes: Do your duty. Check it out. Explore. See what you can see. Come a little closer.
1.jpg
Now crippled, searching for a hidden foe, she wandered into the bathroom. Most excellent! That's one down.
2.jpg
Let's try that again, shall we?
3.jpg
There you go! I know that leg hurts, but you really should investigate.
4.jpg
Thanks for playing!
5.jpg
With just one left, we skipped the mines, closed and just went for a head shot. Bu-bye.
6.jpg
This little outpost has some sweet loot. Lots of drugs. Lilith hoovered them up and then moved on. Looks like we have a baseball bat wielder here.
7.jpg
Let's see. There's a staircase above him. If we get the right angle, we should be able to cripple him with the dart gun, and then cut him down as he limps up the stairs.
8.jpg
We're in business! Alas, he was a little too smart to race up the stairs. Instead he cowered in fear which, was probably his best move. It doesn't really matter. Either way he's dead.
9.jpg
Moving on. With our pre-war bonnet enhanced perception, we detected two raiders in a little nook, just off the tracks. They're close together, hard to separate. This is a job for frag grenades.
10.jpg
And there you go: ticket punched. Enjoy the ride.
11.jpg
There's still one left. Let's see if we can scope him.
13.jpg
No dice. He must be around the bend. Ok. There he is. He's wielding a shotgun so he'll want to close. If we take a shot at him, and duck around the corner, he'll chase. A frag mine at the intersection should soften him up before he reaches assault rifle range.
14.jpg
Let's get this party started.
15.jpg
Around the corner we go. Surprise!
16.jpg
We didn't have much room to maneuver for the next one, so we used a pulse mine. This is spendy for a throw away mook, but that's ok. It's fun and it looks cool.
17.jpg
And done.
18.jpg
We've made it to Museum Station now. Only two left. There's one on top of the train, another on the raised platform.
19.jpg
We can separate these two. We just need to get a good angle on the train topper.
20.jpg
The first shot crippled him. The second took him down. Just one more. This one is a toughie so Lilith decided to soften him up with a frag grenade.
21.jpg
Fin!
22.jpg
We're ready for our museum tour.
25.jpg

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
If I recall correctly, that museum trip means you're about to find my most favorite weapon in FO3. But it's been forever since I've played.
Yuppers! I’m partial to energy weapons, specifically A3-21s Plasma Rifle and the Alien Blaster, but the Lincoln Repeater is my fav early game weapon. It does excellent damage, and it’s easy to maintain since it can be repaired with generic hunting rifle parts.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Grayditch to Marigold Station- Them or Those?

No, dear reader, our subtitle isn't a grammar quiz. It's a shoutout to the inspiration for the Fallout 3 quest "Those!," the 1954 horror flick, "Them!"

Alrighty then! Who's down for a good old fashion monster hunt? Lilith, now rocking Lincoln's Repeater, totally is.
1.jpg
Me less so. These ants freak me out.

I usually do Those! Part 1 early, but I typically leave little Bryan in his Pulowski for a long time- a very long time.

Why do these things scare me? Fire, that's why. Fire melts health quick in this game.

In Grayditch, above ground, the ants aren't much of a threat. You can snipe them, or backpedal and fire. Either way there's no reason to get toasted. Down in the metro tunnels it's a different story. Make a wrong turn and things get dicey. That's why we wanted the Repeater for this. We wanted our stealth shots to have a little extra kick.

Lilith had sniped most of the ants earlier, but there were still a few over by Marigold Station, including this warrior.
2.jpg
Those of you who know your way around Grayditch know that Lilith did a frack ton of backpedalling here. Like I said, these things creep me out.

Four? That's a hard pass. We'll stealth down to Marigold, thank you very much.
3.jpg
Our monsters come in three flavors, four counting the nest guardians. The workers can't handle the Repeater. They we pretty much all one hit nixed.
4.jpg
The soliders are tougher. They can take a hit. With room to backpedal, we'd shoot and fade. In closer quarters, we used our frag mines. Here we see Lilith, with room to maneuver, conserving both mines and .44s
5.jpg
The warriors are no bueno. We used our bottlecap mines on them. Fortunately we have a pretty fat stack right now.
6.jpg
We handled the nest guardians in the same way, although we ended with a flourish. The first two didn't leave room for backpedalling, so we bottlecap mined them.
8.jpg
By the time we reached the third we had room, so we used the Repeater. The bottlecap mines are gold, and it isn't always easy to find the parts, especially the lunch boxes.
9.jpg
Nudging forward, we were surprised to find the last two guardians clumped together. Time to tap that nuke grenade stash. I love these things, even if I struggle to target them. Happily this one found the mark. It's fun to blow things up.
10.jpg
We did it! Hooray! We've saved the day! This level up was well earned. Don't you agree, Bryan? You're still alive, right Bryan? You didn't suffocate in that Pulowski, did you? Better check up on him.
7.jpg
Anyhoo, our perk went to Bloody Mess. And since Lilth is already at Perception 10 wearing her signature bonnet, we took Ant Might instead of Ant Sight. Next stop? I honestly don't know. I haven't thought about it yet. Hopefully Lilth has an idea or two.

Best,

A.

PS: Fun fact, Lincoln's Repeater is actually a thing in real life. It's in the Smithsonian American History collection.
l.jpg

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Tepid Sewers to GNR Plaza- Sometimes You Just Want to Beat the Piss Out of Some Mole Rats

After our harrowing trip to the heart of hymenoptera darkness, Lilith and I found ourselves at odds. She was eager for a grand adventure- something new and exciting, a test of her strength. I, on the otherhand, was in the mood for a fetch quest, or, better yet, nothing at all. I was totally content to just watch a couple episodes of the Prime series. I even pitched that idea. Lilith wouldn't have it. She insisted that we at least complete a quest. After a heated back and forth, I thought of Moira, and the good old days of mail-it-in Survival Guide quests. Then I remembered that we were supposed to be doing one right now. Where were we supposed to go again? That's right: the Tepid Sewers.

Tepid (adj.)
2a: lacking in passion, force, or zest
2b: marked by an absence of enthusiasm or conviction

That's me exactly. And what were we supposed to do there? Beat the piss out of some mole rats. Fracking perfect. We're doing it. I was happy with myself, but Lilith's speedy agreement put me ill at ease. She was up to something. Whatever. I still wanted to beat the piss out of some mole rats.

First we had to cross the Potomac. Lilith suggested we cross north of the Super Duper Mart to avoid the raiders. I was cool with that. And oh, will you look at that: It's Farragut West Station. Huh, that's interesting.
7.jpg
I should have known she was up to something. I just didn't think about it. My eyes were on the prize.
3.jpg
After three glorious blesmol beat downs, we were accosted by a raider. Raiders? In the Tepid Sewers? But I was looking forward to a lack of passion, force and zest. That's ok. The Repeater will put them down. I don't love that turret thing up there, but we can handle this.
4.jpg
What the frack!
5.jpg
You see that ball of flame? That's Lilith. Every now and then that happens in dungeons. A bullet or something ignites something and we go up in flames. I don't understand the mechanics and that makes me super uncomfortable. We finished off the raider- in style, I might add...
t.jpg
Then we got the rock out of dodge. "How about we check out West Farragut Station," Lilth said, "I bet there's mole rats in there." She was playing me like a fiddle, but she was right so I went along with it.
8.jpg
Ok, the mole rats are dead. We should go now...
9.jpg
Lunch boxes! I like lunch boxes. She really knows how to string me along. But where is she leading us? What's the gambit? Oh, no.
10.jpg
Ok, Lilith, fine: Have it your way. But don't come crying to me when we run out of .44s and frag grenades. We're not ready for this.

There's little to fear on the trip from Farragut to Tenleytown. We could have slipped by these ghouls peacefully. We just neglected to put the ghoul mask on in time.
11.jpg
That wasn't a problem although, we did end up fighting in closer quarters than I would have liked. Ready for your root canal, Mr. Ghoulie Ghoul?
12.jpg
The only issue here is that we're running low on .44s. I have to admit, though, it's fun to shoot ghouls in the face. And it was nice to see our Bloody Mess perk kick in for the first time.
13.jpg
We're really doing this, huh?
14.jpg
For those of you who don't know the game, the issue with going to GNR Plaza is that the route is loaded -loaded I say- with super mutants. Welcome to the Jungle, y'all.
16.jpg
Fabulous screenshots aside, the plan is to punk these blokes at range. Scope'em and drop'em. That's what you get for looking out the window.
19.jpg
Yes, yes: gather together. We like that. Harder to miss. We won't even need VATS.
18.jpg

20.jpg
We made excellent progress with our sniper rifle, but sniping was only part of the plan. We had set up a Hallway of Doom just behind our sniping spot, just in case one of them charged. Surprise, bitch.
22.jpg
Sniping the last of the first wave. We're in business. Move out.
23.jpg
The sun is setting, and we're out of .44s. No worries. We have an insane number of energy cells and Lilith is pretty good with energy weapons by now, even pistols. The laser pistol wasn't the star of the show here, though. It was the defilade.
25.jpg
By now we had cleared a path to GNR Plaza. Now we're really in the jungle. Here we see the Brotherhood fighting mutants.
26.jpg
And now we see mutants fighting mutants.
27.jpg
Hold up a minute? Mutants fighting mutants? Are we sure about that?
28.jpg
29.jpg
We're sure about that. Lilith and I agreed to sit this one out and enjoy the show. By nightfall only one remained.
30.jpg
Let's make a break for it. Run!
31.jpg
And that, dear reader, is how we met Three Dog. We're currently at GNR headquarters, plotting our next move. Lilith wants to fix the radio tower. I want to get some sleep. She's not buying me off with mole rats and lunch boxes this time.

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: GNR Plaza to Rivet City- The Hangover

Ensconced at GNR Headquarters, with Three Dog sound asleep, Lilith and I had a lot to discuss.
0.jpg
She was pleased with herself, having single handedly defeated an army of super mutants, but there was the small matter of the bill. It wasn't pretty.

Our Chinese assualt rifle is almost busted, same for the sniper rifle. We have no spare parts and not enough caps to fix them.
1.jpg
We’re out of .44s. Our frag grenade stash is down from 22 to 8. You want to charge off to the Museum of Technology, Lilith? Then how exactly are you going to kill things? That laser pistol isn't going to cut it. We have some bottlecap mines and a handful of frag grenades. That's it. Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, you're a junky now- a triple junky, in fact. A triple junky with radiation poisoning, I might add.
2.jpg
And what about my wants and needs?
3.jpg
We haven't added a single god damn garden gnome to that collection since Tenpenny Tower. Maybe -just maybe- we should try things my way this time, huh Lilith?

I'm not sure if my argument swayed her. With Three Dog asleep, GNR was playing an Adventures of Herbert Dashwood re-run and I could detect a twinge of guilt in her eyes. Resigned, she turned off the radio, and then agreed, on one condition: We'd wake up Three Dog and tell him we're in on the Museum of Technology caper. Fine. We need the key to the backdoor to get out of this mess, and humoring Three Dog is the only way to get it.
TD.jpg
Coolio. I'm calling the shots now. We're going to Rivet City. And we're stealing that garden gnome.
4.jpg
Next, we're taking you to the doctor. We need to fix you up. Now, what are we going to do with our limited supply of caps? Buy as many frag grenades as we can, yes. Buy a few busted missile launchers and build us a spiffy one, sure. With 6 missiles already on hand, that'll help in a pickle. What about our last couple hundred? Bullets are the obvious choice. But the Repeater is our only functional small gun right now and neither Moira nor Flak are carrying .44s. There's only one solution: We need to find Pinkerton.

For those who don't know, Pinkerton is a dude who hangs out in the broken bow of the Rivet City ship. Getting to him scores you one of the best energy weapons in the game, A3-21s Plasma Rifle, but getting to him isn't easy. Unless you have a lock picking skill of 100, you need to take a secret underwater tunnel. It's easy to drown down there, and when you emerge there are two mirelurks right on top of you. It's a tough gig, but I have a plan. What do you say, Lilith are you up for it?

We took a Rad X and plopped into the drink. Once we slipped through the secret door, we paused before our next dive, the big one, the risky one. We took a Med X and a Buffout. Finally, and most importantly, we activated our first Stealth Boy. The Stealth Boy would give us the time and space we needed to lay down our bottlecap mines. And if that fails? Well, that's what the Buffout and Med X are for. We'll cut'em to pieces with the Shishkebab. We've got this. Time to dive.

There's one.
ML1.jpg
And there's two.
5.jpg
Our bottlecap mines did the deed. Do you see why I wanted those two lunch boxes, Lilith? Method to the madness, as they say.

And there he is: the man, the myth, the legend- Pinkerton himself.
6.jpg
Now all we need to do is convince Harkness to let us nix Zimmer.
7.jpg
And there we are: Our first kills with A3-21's Plasma Rifle. Now we're not dependent on .44s. We can tap that stash of microfusion cells.
8.jpg
We're back in business. Teamwork makes the dream work, as they say. Next stop, the Museum of Technology? Maybe. Lilith and I are going to hash that out over at the Weatherly. Stay tuned.

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
I gotta say, I haven't looked at Fallout 3 since I first played it many, many years ago when it first game out. This run has me wanting to pick up with GOTY edition and take another run for old time's sake. I've wishlisted it on GOG and will wait for a sale (once I get done my current queue of games).
Very cool! It's a hoot. It's flawed for sure. And there's a zillion ways to criticize the joy out of it. The writing it bad. The gameplay is wonky, and full of exploits. And, yes: It's not Black Isle's 1 or 2. Those are all valid points, to which Lilith and I say, "So fracking what?" If you set that all aside, it's a gas, daddio- a big goofy post-apocalyptic playground. All you need to do is give yourself permission to enjoy it.

Whenever you do get around to playing, feel free to share your run! I'd love to see someone else's take on the game world.

Last edited:

JustKneller

Habitué
The writing it bad. The gameplay is wonky, and full of exploits. And, yes: It's not Black Isle's 1 or 2.

I would say, sorta to Beth's credit, that while the writing isn't great, it's at least serviceable with the patched ending. It's definitely better than the dumpster fire of Fallout 4's script. I do vaguely remember the janky gameplay. I actually started modding games by trying to mod Fallout 3. I remember there being an issue that was especially noticeable with the Yao Guai where a sneak attack kill would launch them across the map with really silly ragdoll animations. I never could sort that one out. Still, I also remember having some laughs with the game. It's definitely worth another run when I find a good sale on it.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Rivet City to the Museum of Technology- Get Happy

With Lilith healthy again, and our equipment woes assuaged, there was little reason not to help out Three Dog. He wants a radio dish to get his station running again? And he'll reward us with a weapons cache? Fine. We're in. Why not?
1.jpg
Ok. That's a pretty good why not- especially since he wasn't alone. Three Dog wasn't lying. This won't be easy. There's a frack ton of mutants here. They seem, like, pre-occupied or something, though, so maybe we can sneak by. Maybe we don't even need a stealth boy. Maybe we can just slip on by with our maxed out Sneak skill.

Oh, no. We've been spotted.
2.jpg
That's ok. We can handle this, right? As long as he doesn't call the cavalry, we'll be fine...

Care to guess what happened? He called the cavalry. They all gathered near that car. Wait a minute? Car? Car!
3.jpg
That's what I like to see.
4.jpg
With an explosion like that this is no longer a stealth mission. We're fighting the garrison head on. We can full on panic or roll with it. Lilith and I agreed to roll with it. Cue the music.

Mutants started streaming out of the trenches in droves. Two brutes with mini-guns came out of nowhere, flanked by a trio of foot soldiers. We're out numbered and there's no cover in sight. It's a good thing we bought that Nuka Grenade schematic from Doctor Hoff.
5.jpg
Let's see what these things can do.
6.jpg

7.jpg
With the mini-gun wielders nixed, and the melee fighters hobbled, we can make it to cover now. Thankfully we found some .44s in Pinkerton's crib. We could use the plasma rifle, but it's choice and we don't have parts to repair it right now. It's an emergency only weapon, and we've got this under control.
8.jpg
Second wave is down. Move out.
10.jpg
You want to take the high ground, Mr. Super Mutant? Fine.
11.jpg
We'll take this mail slot defilade and see who wins...
12.jpg
Only one left now. He's a master. Those are scary, but this one is a sledgehammer wielder.
13.jpg
We've got something just for blokes like him. We even let the poor bastard charge. Come at us bro. We're not afraid of you. We've got our dart gun from Le Chic Boutique.
14.jpg
With the master crippled, and everyone else dead, all we had to do is fire and fade with the laser pistol. Is that it? Is that really it? Did we really kill them all? Sure looks like it.
15.jpg
Did anyone notice the metro station in that shot? Right in front of the Museum of Technology? I sure did. I wonder what station that is?
16.jpg
Museum Station! Museum Station! The one we came in through! You mean all we had to do was exit on the other side of the station and we could have skipped this mess! Oh, well. Next time...

If you guessed that the Museum of Technology was loaded with mutants, you'd be right.
17.jpg
If you guessed they'd be wielding whatever the rock this is, then you're a better guesser than I am. I still don't know what that is. I didn't even notice it during the fight. It's like one of the ghostly artifacts that shows up in pictures from the 1920s. I have no clue. Something they found in the museum, I guess? I'm just glad it didn't kill us.
18.jpg
We're making progress. We're almost to the Virgo II, and its radio dish. Expecting an ambush, we brought the big gun out. I've never actually done any of this on Very Hard before. This is all new to me.
19.jpg
And yes: here come the bastards. Just as we were enjoying the planetarium show, too.
20.jpg
We have a nail board wielder, supported by a hunting rifle bloke. The plasma rifle is out already, so we might as well splash the charger.
21.jpg
Now we can settle into some cover and wear down that range fighter. We're back to the pistol now because this guy isn't a threat, not with the cover we found.
22.jpg
Since Lilth still can't pick locks, we used the computer to open the final door.
25.jpg
We figured there'd be a master or two guarding the prize, so we put down a bottle cap mine and equipped the plasma rifle. You're not long for this world, Mr. Master. And btw, thanks for the Chinese assault rifle. We could use the parts.
26.jpg
Just one left. Maximum disrespect here: laser pistol, out of cover.
27.jpg
There it is! The Virgo II! We've done it!
28.jpg
And with the Mall cleared of mutants, all that's left is a stroll. Judy Garland would be proud of us.
30.jpg

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Jefferson Memorial to Vault 112- So the Story Goes

With Three Dog's problem solved, it was time to focus on our own. Lilith was missing her dad. I was missing some garden gnomes. I'm pleased to say that we solved Lilith's problem. Mine less so.

Before we get to the Jefferson Memorial, I should tell you about Hamilton's Hideaway, the location of Three Dog's weapons cache, our reward for the museum heist. In the past I've just skipped this. I didn't need weapons. I didn't need ammo. I didn't need caps. Why bother? This time I went ahead with it mostly because there are mole rats in the vicinity of the cave. Lilith was looking forward to the weapons. I was looking forward to the mole rats. I expected to do a silly celebratory post about how we had both reached our respective promised lands. That was not to be. We were both bitterly disappointed. Serves me right for expecting good things.

Things went flooey the instant we arrived. My prized mole rats led us to a radscorpion which led us to a yao guai which led us to super mutants which led us to a mirelurk. It was a farcical monster parade, with Moira's repellant stick serving as baton. Seriously: this was nuts. I don't have any screenshots from this because I was too busy cursing Bethesda for making this game, and my parents for bringing me into this cruel universe. Suffice to say I wasn't happy.

Fortunately, by the end everything was dead expect for Lilith. We were ready to move on. But first, we had another prize to collect: Xuanlong, via the Museum of Technology. This, too, was a little NWIE, Not What I Expected. There were still super mutants up in there. Lilith is super good at murdering those blokes by now, though, so it wasn't a problem. Smile for the camera guys!
1.jpg
Can't we get a break? Enough with the depressing surprises. How about a pleasant one for once? Believe it or not, the Wasteland delivered. It was enough for me to forgive Bethesda. I still hate my parents though.

What, pray tell, could be so delightful? How about Commando Doctor Hoff: That's him, leading the charge into the Jefferson Memorial. Huh?
2.jpg
For those who don't know the game, Doctor Hoff is a merchant- a drug dealer, really. He's not supposed to be doing this. It's like if Bernard from the Copper Coronet randomly grabbed Stonefire and killed all the slavers himself. Evidently the Good Doctor is tapping his own stash.

We thanked the Doctor for his service, and finished the job on our own. Despite having Xualong and Lincoln's Repeater, we're rocking energy weapons almost exclusively now. They look cool and they're easier to target, not that Lilith could miss at this range.
3.jpg
We let our guard down at the very end, only to be met with one last super mutant. We backpedalled and guess who showed up? Can't keep a good drug dealer down.
4.jpg
We sat back and let Dr. Hoff take care of business. It's fun to watch him work. Two super mutants is two more than we expected from him.

Now that we're getting closer to replacement parts, A3-21's Plasma Rifle is seeing regular use. It one shots most enemies. I'm not sure how this super mutant got so close. Maybe we were futzing around with Xualong before busting out the big gun?
5.jpg
I could share more pics from the memorial, but this would be like subjecting you to a tiresome string of vacation photos, only with more dead bodies. The mutants died. We found the next clue. We're off to Vault 112

We set off from Vault 112 and then promptly stumbled onto a Mr. Gutsy, one of my least favorite enemies. They wield plasma rifles, and it feels like they're stealing my thing. Worse still, they carry energy cells, which we have a ton of, instead of microfusion cells, which we need. I'm not sure what Mr. Gutsys think of Lilith, but I'm guessing the feeling is mutual. This must have felt like whack-a-mole, what with Lilith popping up on different side of this rock outcropping.
7.jpg

6.jpg
(Is whack-a-mole even a thing at this point? No matter. I feel semi-confident y'all know what it is. If you were Gen Zers you'd be on Twitch. If you were Millenials you'd be on Youtube. I'm guessing we're Gen Xers here, right?)

Anyhoo...

My review of Vault 112 is mixed. There were mole rats, but I couldn't steal this garden gnome.
8.jpg

3 stars, maybe? Lilith gives it 5, what with her finding her father and all. I'm happy for her, but I'd trade her dad for a closet full of garden gnomes any day of the week.

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Fallout 3: Jefferson Memorial to Little Lamplight- I Have Nothing, Actually You Have Nothing

I like dropping musical references. They're fun because everyone gets them. Every now and then I drop one that's not fun because no one gets it. For example: Today's subtitle. That's a reference to a Whitney Houston song from the 1992 film Bodyguard, starring Kevin Costner. Why would I do that? Remember what I said about life being meaningless?

There is, however, a tortured connection here. Lilith played bodyguard in this episode. She would have done great- better than Kevin Costner I'd wager- were she not saddled with cowardly me. Unfun fact: Kevin Costner gave a 17 minute eulogy at Whitney Houston's funeral. 17 minutes. Kind of self indulgent if you ask me. Almost like, I don't know...talking about the 1992 film Bodyguard and Kevin Costner on a video game forum. I should really get to it, shouldn't I? I'll do that.

So: We're back at the Jefferson Memorial, moving forward on the storyline. We're here to sweep the monsters out of the place so the scientists can do their thing. By now A3-21's Plasma Rifle is Lilith's go to killing tool. She loves it. Her enemies less so. Sneak attack with this thing are gnarly.
1.jpg
If you've ever wondered what happens when the bloody mess and plasma kill animations interact, now you know. It's like Christmas, but with carnage. Who brought the milk and cookies?
1A.jpeg
In phase one of this quest you fight super mutants. In phase two, enclave soldiers. If you're packing A3-21's Plasma Rifle it doesn't really matter. They're all one hit nixed and they all end up looking the same.
1C.jpeg

1B.jpg
Once you take out the mutants and the enclave soldiers, you need to escort some scientists to the Brother of Steel Citadel. This is the bodyguard part, and I was fracking awful at this. Here we see Lilith using the person she's supposed to protect as a human shield as she fires a plasma charge over her shoulder. This was my idea, not Lilth's.
1D.jpeg
And it gets worse. We were supposed to lead the scientists through this spacious room with sweet firing lines. The trouble was that we couldn't get a good angle on our target, a deadly plasma rifle wielding enclave soldier. In panic mode, I made Lilith run for it. As for the scientists, they just had to sprint across the battlefield.
2.jpg
I wasn't entirely sure they'd make it and I wasn't entirely sure what would happen if they didn't. I was pleased to see Dr. Li emerge from the darkness, safe and sound. I'm not sure if her friends made it. Neither she nor we brought it up. Better that way.
2A.jpg
Those of you who've played Fallout 3 know there are companions, people who will fight alongside you. The pooch, Dogmeat, from the Black Isle games, is the most iconic. Lilith isn't a dog person so you won't see him here. Lilith did, however, pick up Star Paladin Cross at the Citadel. I'm not sure why she looks like a 3rd grader who needs to pee, but there she is.
3.jpg
Star Paladin Cross is a badass. Lilith is a badass, too. They make a formidable team. Their first mission together was the return to Vault 101. Their badassery was contrasted with the dumbassery of the one foe they faced in the vault, Office Wilkins. Seriously, dude: You're a yokel cop who lives in a hole. What made you think you could take this on?
4.jpg
Officer Wilkins was the only enemy we faced because we settled this peacefully, installing our childhood pal, Amata, as the new overseer of the vault.. Having maxed out her primary skills, Sneak, Repair and Energy Weapons, in that order, Lilith is not working on Speech. Explosives will follow.
5.jpg
With all squared on the homefront, we were ready to head off to Little Lamplight, where we met Mayor McCready: Protector of Lost Children, Kicker of Shit Butts.
6.jpg
These last two episodes have been duds combat wise, for sure, but we have a choice episode ahead. We're off to Paradise Falls to rescue Mayor McCready's friends from a gang of slavers. It'll be fun. And I won't mention Kevin Costner once. I promise.

Best,

A.

Last edited:
Top Bottom