Games you're looking forward to

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Nightingale by Inflexion Games was first announced during The Game Awards in December, 2021. Recently, this survival crafting game got a page on Steam saying it will be coming to Early Access "Q4 2022". It's promising because Inflexion Games as a studio is led by ex-BioWare general manager Aaryn Flynn who has a big passion for worldbuilding.

I'll quote this week's article on New Musical Express

"Nightingale sees your frock-sporting, gaslamp-swinging Victorian adventurer spat out in a hostile ‘Fae Realm’ after falling foul of a dodgy portal meant to whisk them away to the safety of Nightingale, a magical city that serves as the final bastion of humanity in the wake of catastrophe. We’re yet to see any substantive gameplay, but if last year’s The Game Awards announcement trailer is anything to go by, there’s some beautiful art direction and ingeniously creepy creature design bringing these Fae Realms to life.

“We want to give players a world that they feel connected to, that feels alive and rich with history,” Inflexion CEO Aaryn Flynn tells NME, “it was something before they got there, and will be something after they leave.”

“The thing that got us excited in the earliest days of developing Nightingale was the idea of crafting a new universe with some rich worldbuilding. A lot of survival crafting games build on existing lore and understanding of how things work, that they build on over time. I think we were ambitious to say “what if we put worldbuilding front and centre?” and made it a foundational piece of our game.”

“A big element of worldbuilding to me is, as a player, can I begin to understand the rules of this world?” he adds “Can I interpret those rules and be predictive? And yes, you can in Nightingale” Flynn brings up the day/cycle, and suggests this affects how the player will approach their interactions with the world.

While Nightingale will feature NPCs, Flynn says the game is less focused on the interpersonal relationships and lengthy storyline one might associate with a traditional BioWare game.

“It’s very much a sandbox, but we want to offer players some structure in how they’re going to explore this world. But there isn’t this overarching quest – beyond finding your way back to Nightingale. It represents a north star, and you’re going to be thinking about how to find your way back.”

“We aren’t making a colonial simulator,” says Flynn “There’s a couple of things in the lore we want to offer to players to make that clear, that we can offer at a later date.” Indeed, there’s already some hints that players will be able to make progress in the Fae Realms outside of conquering, combat, and acquisition.

“It isn’t always the case that you’re there to go and slaughter something. There might be a better way to go and achieve something. Players should have that choice, and have consequences to that choice” says Flynn".

ss_5e078eea2354b38836b6858211b3dd55cfacceef.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c67698729aa399995c25e8d68a8c0cb5288079a6.1920x1080.jpg

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Songs of Conquest (Release Date: Q2 2022 for Early Access)

View attachment 926

I've first seen this game during E3 in 2019. It's an upcoming turn-based strategy game developed by Lavapotion and inspired by 90s classics such as Heroes of Might and Magic III. I'm a great fan of HoMM 3 and I like what I read about Songs of Conquest.

Here is a small interview with the team behind Songs of Conquest for Cubed3d:

"You can play it in Skirmish mode to just slug it out with the AI or other friends or you can play our campaign which tells the story of our fantastic world and the Wielders who walk it. As to why it is unique, I would say it's unique since we've added some exciting gameplay mechanics to a concept we thought needed it. And our world, even though inspired by cultures and fiction, is our own and we're very excited to see how our future players will like it. One of the things is the magic system I suppose. Our magic is based on something called The Essence. It's sort of like the soul of a being but also something that can be infused in objects. Wielders are your leaders and they can draw on the Essence around them to cast mighty spells. In a gameplay meaning this means that you will have to build your army in a certain way to unlock the spells you think will help you best. If you want to damage your foes you need to bring troops that have the Destruction essence and if you want to make your troops stronger the essence of Order is better suited.

HoMM 2 & 3 are huge inspirations for us when making this game and we will hopefully scratch that itch for those who want to play that type of game again, but we are doing our own thing with SoC. At Lavapotion, we have a wide variety of players that bring so much creativity and their own references to the table which makes Songs of Conquest a fully unique experience.

We've looked at a lot of both new and old games and I've always loved the old rpgs like fallout and Baldurs Gate and the sort of turn based action they provide. So when it comes to that we've looked at it for sure, but not in a larger sense than that."
This is now out (in EA)!!!

Yaaaaay! 95% positive reviews from 100 over 1 hour after the release on Steam.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
As shown today during 505 Games' first showcase, Mutant Year Zero devs (The Bearded Ladies) are making a new tactical RPG called Miasma Chronicles.

While the trailer didn't offer much insight into what Miasma Chronicles will be all about, 505 Games also sent along an interview that shed some more light on the mysterious teaser. According to the development team, Miasma Chronicles will feature Elvis and his robotic "brother" Diggs, who are on a journey to find Elvis' mother in a grim world dominated by "Miasma." The studio describes it as a "tactical adventure" with concepts similar to Mutant Year Zero, but with a larger scope and more involved narrative elements. There will be lots of exploration mixed with tactical turn-based combat, along with "RPG elements".

Miasma Chronicles is currently confirmed for PC, with its release date listed only as "coming soon."

Miasma-Chronicles_2022_05-17-22_002.jpg

I'm very interested, maybe because of the style, maybe because it's a tactical RPG (and I'm planning to finally try Mutant Year Zero this summer), maybe because of the whole robot thing.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Greedfall 2 (from Spyders) has been announced!

The first game was hugely marketed as a game for players who have been missing the Dragon Age experience.

"GreedFall certainly left me wanting more; while its story may be a bit shallow in places, it’s still got a lot of depth, a fluid, intuitive combat system and enough morally-grey missions to bring me back to Teer Fradee some time soon. Forget waiting for the next Dragon Age, GreedFall is an impressive debut for what could well become a classic series."

According to the press release for Greedfall 2, this is an RPG that focuses on story and player choice but also includes new gameplay in the form of more tactical combat and revisits the unique universe created by its predecessor.

The story starts three years before the events of the first game and the adventures of De Sardet. This time you play as a native of Teer Fradee, uprooted by force from your island and taken to the continent of Gacane, where the colonists are from. In this old world ravaged by war and scarred by the Malichor plague and the political scheming of the different factions, you must regain your freedom and control of your own destiny. Using diplomacy, cunning or combat, as well as help from allies you make, it's up to you to end one man's ambitions of conquest, which could spell the end for the continent and your island.

"We are very excited to reveal GreedFall 2 to everyone, the new game from Spiders," said Alain Falc, CEO of NACON. "Many fans across the world were begging for this sequel, and we are delighted to be publishing this new game that these fans are sure to love. We also hope it will appeal to new players and all fans of role-playing games, great stories, action and fantasy."

"While we were working on Steelrising, our love of the GreedFall universe never faded, and so we are thrilled to be returning to it," said Jehanne Rousseau, Founder and Director of Spiders development studio. "In this new chapter, players will explore the old continent with its bigger and more diverse environments. They will meet new companions and new factions, and I hope they will have unforgettable adventures."

The game now has a Steam page where we can see some stunning screenshots.

I haven't played GreedFall because I've been a bit discouraged by some negative aspects of the game, but the game still sold 2 mln copies, this is massive. There is hope the second game will be an improvement. And the setting looks unique!

Also, a new RPG by Techland has been announced. For now, we only have this concept art and some info about people working on the game. I'm in love at first sight.

Techland-RPG_05-17-22_001.jpg

The team’s staff includes:
  • Karolina Stachyra – Narrative director who previously worked with CD Projekt RED on The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, plus its downloadable content.
  • Arkadiusz Borowik – Narrative lead who previously worked with CD Projekt RED on The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, plus its downloadable content.
In just the last few months, the team was also joined by:
  • Bartosz Ochman – Open world director who previously worked on Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt.
  • Mario Maltezos – Creative director who previously worked with companies like Ubisoft (Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time), Warner Bros. (Mad Max), and Microsoft.
  • David McClure – Lead game designer previously associated with Arkane Studios (DEATHLOOP), Deep Silver, and Playground Games.
  • Kevin Quaid – Lead animator with over eight years of experience at Guerrilla Games, working on titles such as Horizon Zero Dawn and its expansion, “The Frozen Wilds.”
  • Marcin Surosz – Lead user interface / user experience designer with amazing skill in defining players’ needs, formerly with People Can Fly.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
More on Greedfall 2. I admire people who follow their dream. Also, yay for the studio's CEO to be so involved into actual game development.

"Jehanne Rousseau, CEO of French developer Spiders, loves BioWare games. She, along with her development team, love BioWare games so much that Spiders’ informal mission is to make character-rich RPGs during a period when BioWare… just isn't.

“We are all fans of these types of games, so I guess [the reason Spiders decided to make BioWare-style RPGs] was partly out of our frustration, because we couldn't play these types of games again,” she says. “Because [BioWare] was a huge influence to us we really wanted to be able to develop those kinds of games.”

"The plan is for GreedFall 2 to feature seven companion characters (up from the original’s five), making for a roster that rivals (at least in raw numbers) the crew of the Normandy. “You will be able to take control of them,” promises Rousseau. “So we are getting closer and closer to our reference there. The idea is really to try to give players who love the type of BioWare games like Dragon Age [the ability to] travel in another world with a different type of setting.”

Also, she's modest:

"With inspirations picked from BioWare’s golden years, you’d think that Spiders is aiming for the stars. Yet Rousseau is very humble about her ambitions for GreedFall 2 and her studio. “I won't say the usual stuff like, ‘We want to become the best studio in RPGs, blah, blah,’” she says. “No, it can't be true because there are far bigger studios over there. But we can deliver some amazing adventures to players and share with them this love for these types of games, for these types of stories, and this is what I'm aiming for today.”

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
The game seems to be a mix of No Man's Sky with Fallout, Elite and Mass Effect :)

I have the same feelings (although I haven't played Elite, so can't judge here), but would also add CP2077 (for the combat feeling).

Generally, here are my feelings from what Bethesda has shown so far:

Things I like so far:
  • Exploration - I feel the Fallout vibe here, which is a good thing, because I love Fallout's setting.
  • Graphics - I think Bethesda pushed Creation Engine to the limits. The game looks really nice. Even the character models look much better than in Fallout or Skyrim.
  • NPCs - it's too early to judge, but I get a feeling NPCs will be much more developed than in previous Bethesda's game.
  • Character creation - looks really complex, I like it. There are many options to choose from.
  • Ship upgrade - this is something that really looks interesting.
  • Space exploration - I was not much into space exploration games thus far, but this looks quite good.
Things I'm a bit concerned about:
  • Performance - this was looking awful, with frame rate dropping like crazy. I really hope one of the reasons Bethesda pushed the game to 2023 is to improve performance.
  • Over 1000 planets to explore - with this number of planets available to explore fully, I really can't see how they can't avoid the majority of these planets to not being generated procedurally (with the same assets, similar topography etc). I'd rather see 50 fully fleshed planets than 1000 randomly generated. But, we'll see, how it goes. I'd really like to hear more about this in the near future.
  • UI - I like it's minimalistic, but I'd like it to be a little more aesthetically please (like less generic font, better looking lockpicking minigame, these sorts of stuff). But it's not bad as it is now, just maybe worth polishing a bit.
  • Combat - I'd really like to see more of it, but for now I didn't see anything I haven't seen in other games. I miss some unique features here at the moment.
All in all, I'm even more hyped to play Starfield than I was before this presentation. I know it's Bethesda, I'm prepared for a rough release, but I hope they will learn from their and other studio's mistakes (I'm looking at you Fallout 76, CP2077 and No Man's Sky).

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
I have the same feelings (although I haven't played Elite, so can't judge here), but would also add CP2077 (for the combat feeling).

Generally, here are my feelings from what Bethesda has shown so far:

Things I like so far:
  • Exploration - I feel the Fallout vibe here, which is a good thing, because I love Fallout's setting.
  • Graphics - I think Bethesda pushed Creation Engine to the limits. The game looks really nice. Even the character models look much better than in Fallout or Skyrim.
  • NPCs - it's too early to judge, but I get a feeling NPCs will be much more developed than in previous Bethesda's game.
  • Character creation - looks really complex, I like it. There are many options to choose from.
  • Ship upgrade - this is something that really looks interesting.
  • Space exploration - I was not much into space exploration games thus far, but this looks quite good.
Things I'm a bit concerned about:
  • Performance - this was looking awful, with frame rate dropping like crazy. I really hope one of the reasons Bethesda pushed the game to 2023 is to improve performance.
  • Over 1000 planets to explore - with this number of planets available to explore fully, I really can't see how they can't avoid the majority of these planets to not being generated procedurally (with the same assets, similar topography etc). I'd rather see 50 fully fleshed planets than 1000 randomly generated. But, we'll see, how it goes. I'd really like to hear more about this in the near future.
  • UI - I like it's minimalistic, but I'd like it to be a little more aesthetically please (like less generic font, better looking lockpicking minigame, these sorts of stuff). But it's not bad as it is now, just maybe worth polishing a bit.
  • Combat - I'd really like to see more of it, but for now I didn't see anything I haven't seen in other games. I miss some unique features here at the moment.
All in all, I'm even more hyped to play Starfield than I was before this presentation. I know it's Bethesda, I'm prepared for a rough release, but I hope they will learn from their and other studio's mistakes (I'm looking at you Fallout 76, CP2077 and No Man's Sky).
I wouldn't really be worried about performance in a prerelease game. This thing is probably running full of debug hooks.

My fear is that it seems to be trying to be everything... starship simulator, community/base simulator, combat game, survival game, exploration game and RPG... The history of games that tried to be everything is pretty sad.

O_Bruce

Habitué
I think the credit should be given where it is due. The graphic looks excellent, the character creation looks good and the ship customization looks cool. I also appreciate the moment nearly at the beginning, the character encounters some kind of potential dangerous life form. Instead of mindlessly attacking unprovoked, it did a threat display before moving away. This is quite realistic behavior for an animal so I do approve of that. It might be just a scripted interaction, though.

The 1000 planets to explore is a red flag though because it is either Todd Howard being a lair he is, or that we will have those 1000 planets, with most being procedurally generated and uninteresting as result. Time will tell.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
I think the credit should be given where it is due. The graphic looks excellent, the character creation looks good and the ship customization looks cool. I also appreciate the moment nearly at the beginning, the character encounters some kind of potential dangerous life form. Instead of mindlessly attacking unprovoked, it did a threat display before moving away. This is quite realistic behavior for an animal so I do approve of that. It might be just a scripted interaction, though.

The 1000 planets to explore is a red flag though because it is either Todd Howard being a lair he is, or that we will have those 1000 planets, with most being procedurally generated and uninteresting as result. Time will tell.

Yes the creature AI seems to be really nice. The opponent AI turning their backs to you while you are shooting at them on the other hand... :)

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a long-time Bethesda fan, and Starfield was one of those games I had been really looking forward to since its first reveal in 2018. Until June 12. I'm still sad and a bit empty because of this feeling. In the 2 days after the extended reveal, I managed to order my thoughts a bit.

The game looks dated, as if it comes from 2019, or even before. This unfortunately confirms a few leaks we've had about its troubled development and lots of time spent on reworking the concept. If only it was released in 2019 instead of 2023. By dated, I don't only mean the quality of graphics as is. Take the "talking heads"-style dialogue similar to Oblivion (2006), for example. Even in Skyrim, they showed the body of the NPC you're talking to more - and things like this help tremendously with immersion.

Horizon Forbidden West tried to substantially improve the cutscenes compared to the first game, and it paid off.

Cyberpunk 2077 forever changed how cutscenes can look and work.

And Cyberpunk is the game released in 2020.

The use of the old technology (no matter how much they improve the Creation Engine, it's still dated) can't allow Bethesda to even try some of the new approaches towards dialogue and NPC interaction.

Yes, sure, it looks better than in Fallout 4 (2015) and Skyrim (2011). But it's 2022 today.

Combat looks dated. When an enemy is continuing to run and shows no impact of your bullets you keep shooting at them, it looks dated and unrealistic. I just can't unsee Fallout combat when I watch combat in Starfield.

What about exploration then? The main point of Bethesda games. Well, what have we seen? Search for minerals and scanning of the wildlife? They haven't shown anything except for that. I would say catching bees and butterflies, gathering flowers and mushrooms, along with chopping wood and fishing, in Skyrim, looked more immersive.

When I looked at those barren planets they have shown, did I want to go on top of that mountain? Or maybe that mountain? No. I didn't like exploring empty planets in ME1, and I doubt it would be interesting here. Especially since they're using procgen to create more than 1k planets. Really? No Man's Sky shows how quick it becomes boring to explore same planets and just scan, scan and scan. That game shows how uninspiring it is to clear procgen-created hostile camps and look for procgen-created treasures.

But what about the space topic? You know, I'm a big sci-fi fan. I like space. I like science. But here, we'll be searching for artefacts of the previous / ancient / superior civilization. For the XXth time! The initial teaser from 2018 made it look (at least, that's how I perceived that) more scientific. Not only the main story of gathering artefacts doesn't sound exciting to me. It also uses one of the most common tropes there could be in space-related books / movies / games. There is a chance there will be twists in that story, sure - but at this moment, the story doesn't appeal to me.

Do environments in cities and towns look appealing? No. They're bigger than Whiterun, sure. But it's still very basic and almost barren. I asked myself - do I really want to explore the places they have shown? Unfortunately, no.

I'm sorry to say this, but after the showcase, I no longer look forward to Starfield. Maybe I'll play it, but it's too bad the company decided to take so few risks and still used their old tricks that worked 7 and 11 years ago.

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
@Antimatter , I'm sorry to hear it looks like it will be a disappointment to you, after you were anticipating it for so long. I'm not into sci-fi themed games at all myself, unless it's Star Wars, so I don't have a dog in this race.

I keep reading a lot of posts from Elder Scrolls fans complaining because Starfield is apparently delaying development of Elder Scrolls 6.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
This weekend, I've tried The Steam Next Fest June 2022 Edition. What is it? Essentially, hundreds of demos of games that will soon be released (and "soon" is tentative). You play a game for up to 2 hours and decide whether you're interested in following its progress in the future or not. It's such a great event by Valve - so many developers get natural marketing just due to players playing their demos.

And I've got one of the brightest experiences of my gaming life ever: Metal: Hellsinger by The Outsiders. I never knew I wanted that type of game. It's a rhythm FPS where you shoot enemies with powerful weapons while listening to metal music. The point is to get to a flow state that makes you feel like a badass: the vocals kicking in when you max out your multiplier (when you shoot getting into a rhythm with the song) is such a great touch. I found myself really wanting to keep up my streak not because I cared about the score, but just because I wanted to keep the vocals going.

It's beautiful. I never played rhythm games and don't often play shooters, so it was a bit difficult during the first 20 minutes, but then I got into it and enjoyed absolutely top music mixed with fun gameplay.

Just look at these bands and singers:

MHS_Roster_600_003_v2.png

On top of that, the game is narrated by one of my favourite VO actors, Troy Baker.

I played the demo for 60~ minutes and now I'm totally sold. I'll pre-purchase the game once it becomes available-- I have no doubts I'll enjoy the whole game and will play it many, many, many times just to get all the streaks and listen to those vocals. It's a unique example of where experimenting and trying something new provided such a rewarding feeling.

It's also a great example of why events similar to Steam demo fests are so cool: besides Metal: Hellsinger, I tried a few other games (up to ~10 of them) which development I'll be following in one way or another (e.g. I played the Last Worker for 35 mins of demo, it was exactly what I thought it would be from the summer trailer), among them are:

Anvil Saga

Ballads of Hongye

Spirittea

Cult of The Lamb

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
It looks awesome that Josh Sawyer is working on a passion project. I hope this game will reignite his creative love for gaming instead of a full burnout with game designing (something that happened after PoE 2 hadn't sold well).

Also, I have to salute Obsidian for working on all kinds of games, even big experiments for them: first a survival game, now a 2D murder-mystery RPG set in a 16th-century illuminated manuscript. It's very neat they allow their creative leads to create games they would want to do, instead of focusing only on AAA games (which actually are also worked on by other teams in the company).

InGameScientist

Habitué
I wrote in the Wildermyth thread about Mars Tactics, so I'll post about it here.

It is a tactics game at heart, in the vein of XCOM and Wildermyth.

The (solo) dev is really focusing on emergent gameplay - things that happen (and you do) as a reaction to whatever else is happening in the game. A lot of the surprising things that happen in games happen because they are scripted - and sometimes these events are forced to progress a story in a certain way. One of these was explained in a recent dev log, which he calls "dead but not out". It's a cool mechanism where your downed characters can still act to help you, or they can lie still awaiting rescue - the dev talks about one instance where he kept one of his downed characters still long enough that the enemy "forgot" about the downed character. Then, he pulled off a surprise (last) attack with that downed character.

The units in this game also don't have a typical progression tree - they acquire their skills by you actually making them do those things in the game. Did your unit just chuck a bunch of grenades into the enemy? Congrats, your character might gain a grenadier-related skill! Or if your unit just survived an onslaught from the enemy without a single scratch, they might come away with a "lucky" attribute.

This, combined with a strategic overlayer where things like reinforcements in the tactical battles is possible, has me really excited for this game because of the different ways stories can emerge through gameplay. I'm also a sucker for indie games and tactics games, and the publisher, Hooded Horse, is basically publishing every game on my wishlist, so I'm keeping a close eye on it!

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Since cat videos and pictures are so popular here and everywhere, how about a third person action adventure in a cyperpunk setting where you play as a cat? Today I came across a teaser trailer for Stray (some time in 2022), and what I see looks unique, funny and original.

"Stray is a third-person cat adventure game set amidst the detailed neon-lit alleys of a decaying cybercity and the murky environments of its seedy underbelly. Roam surroundings high and low, defend against unforeseen threats and solve the mysteries of this unwelcoming place inhabited by nothing but unassuming droids and dangerous creatures.

See the world through the eyes of a stray and interact with the environment in playful ways. Be stealthy, nimble, silly, and sometimes as annoying as possible with the strange inhabitants of this foreign world.

Along the way, the cat befriends a small flying drone, known only as B12. With the help of this newfound companion, the duo try to find a way out.

Stray is developed by BlueTwelve Studio, a small team from south of France mostly made of cats and a handful of humans."

I think the environment looks interesting and it's a cool idea to play as a cat among robots in a cybercity. Its opens up so many original options to solve problems: Much smaller than a human, no fingers, can't speak, but can quickly and silently jump, climb and slip through narrow gaps where a human wouldn't stand a chance. Also, it's cute. So, I'm curious at least.

More than 3 months have passed since that post, I pre-ordered Stray a couple of weeks ago, and tomorrow it's going to drop!
Hope I'll get the chance to try for a bit after work, but it's more likely I won't have much, if any, time for it before Friday, but once I get a solid impression of the game, I'll share it!

Top Bottom