Games you're looking forward to

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
I'm still waiting for the first good VR rpg to push the hardware to its limits. It's good for so many unique gameplay experiences I don't even know where to start.

I'm a huge fan of Tyranny and I can't help but think how good a setting like that would do. I mean, Edicts are just the type of world-spanning power that would feel so good to use in some VR world where you can see the destruction all around you, and much larger than you. I volunteer as a tester for some vr rpgs some indie devs are making because I just want to see a quality product. Right now every VR game feels like a tech demo, even when the gameplay is great. Too short, too limited, only good at one or more things when these things really need to be combined to some degree.

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
Ah now it's clicking, I think you mentioned Skyrim VR somewhere but I had totally overlooked the "VR" part.

I'm curious how that actually works, I mean of course I've seen videos of people using VR but I have difficulties imagining how it works and feels to actually play an RPG, for example Skyrim, like that.

Could you specify a bit what you mean when you say most games feel like a tech demo, or how gameplay feels?

What I mean is that most VR-native games offer some clever gameplay mechanics to add immersion and overall play very well, but are all extremely short. I can complete the average VR game in half a day or less. Devs need to take the platform seriously, because it really deserves it.

As much as I am bored *to death* of Skyrim and Fallout 4, I can't deny they are the best VR experiences to date. The little things, like being able to physically pick up a bottle and look at its contents, or picking up a fallen enemy and tossing them off a cliff, really add to the experience. Of course I installed HD retextures of everything from carpets and potions to soul gems and smoke from the fires so it looks amazing. You know those falling rock traps? Well you can pick one of those large rocks up, sneak up on somebody, and brain them with it! It does decent damage and, frankly, is just funny. You can even hide up above them and drop it on their head. There are quite a few of these unique approaches to the game that are only really possible in VR.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I remember I was so impressed in 2021 by the first trailer of IXION. That was how space sci-fi should feel like, to me:

Now, this upcoming space station city builder from Bulwark Studios got an awesome demo on Steam Survival Fest (runs from August 1-8).

This game is coming soon this year and it's amazing! The soundtrack is composed by the 40k Mechanicus composer, David Guillaume. The UI is clean and easy to understand, the game looks absolutely beautiful and mechanics-wise, it seems very promising.

You can try the demo right now in the Steam Survival Fest.

M5lXaOX.jpeg

JERSwfI.jpeg

G8gehL6.jpeg

Q4ZBR9D.jpeg

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
More Nightingale gameplay will be shown live at Summer Game Fest on June 9, 11 AM PST, looking forward to it!

View attachment 2272

This doesn't really promise a good future for the game, considering the game's development. They had already moved from SpartialOS to UE4 before, now they moved from UE4 to UE5.

I want to believe it will be a fun game, but it's amazing to see how much change has happened to the game's concept, and it only continues. Usually, there are so many risks of getting things half-baked in similar situations.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
A Plague Tale: Requiem by Asobo Studio releases in exactly two months. I'm so looking forward to it. The first game was such a unique experience: a good, yet a bit scary, story, full of French & medieval feeling, nice mechanics, and most importantly, a very rare game for "young adults".

That is one of the most well-made trailers I've seen. It alone reminded me of all the good feelings the first game showed: friendship, sister and brother relationship, adventure, scare, joy.

alice_ashpool

Habitué
Anyway, back to the game itself. The woodcut artwork with the sidesliding characters and the medieval or maybe renaissance drawing and manuscript style sets the tone and atmosphere right away. I missed the prologue or introduction because the guy at the station clicked through stuff rapidly to get to character creation when I asked to use mouse and keyboard instead of a controller, but I knew the beginning. You're Andreas, a journeyman artist, and your friend has been accused of murdering a prominent person.
I watched the trailer and saw "crude" woodcut style, but there was one scene (with a king?) with a much more renaissance art appearance with formal perspective and detailed backgrounds - but with the same woodcut figures in the foreground. It would be interesting to see a game that really played with art styles to indicate things.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
There is another series that hasn't been mentioned much on this site, yet. Yakuza, which now apparently will be called Like a Dragon.

I played Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon and fell in love with it: the main character, Ichiban, his friends, serious and funny (even absurd) topics, turn-based fights, RPG parts, atmosphere, original Japanese vibe, just everything. Now, the sequel has been announced.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
Not a game I've been looking forward to personally, but Return to Monkey Island has been released 4 days ago and even at my workplace people are talking about it. It's a huge nostalgia thing for many and I too remember back when we didn't have a PC yet, sitting with my little sister in her school friend's garage watching him steer Guybrush Threepwood across the games, figuring out puzzles and trying to beat his antagonist LeChuck. At least when it was so rainy that even we wouldn't play pirates anymore outside in the woods.

So I was wondering if anyone else among you here, especially the pirate fans, is into this and can share an impression?
I loved the first 3 games... the ones after not that much. I'll probably grab this one when it's on sale.

Xzarloxara

Innkeeper
Staff member
I will never understand this concept. You buy two games with very little difference (maybe in the new one the difference is actually a bit bigger than usual, but still), for a few different Pokemon that you could otherwise get through trading.
I would support this concept if it meant encouraging contact between players, or make competitive play more interesting if people from version A could only battle against people from version B and only with Pokemon originally found in their version, but paying twice for slight differences in otherwise identical games?
Seems like a marketing trick to sell you the same game twice, because apparently that's not as rare as I thought.
Well, it is obvious that they do things this way to make more money, true, and I totally do not blame your average Pokémon fan if they choose not to get both versions. I personally do not consider myself an average fan of the series, however, and I like to collect as many of the games as I can. I like to replay the story from time to time, so it is nice to have an extra copy for some games. I still have some cartridges from very old games and the systems that could run them (whether or not they still work is another question). In any case, it is a bit annoying that Nintendo still does the two versions thing, but it is what it is. Personally, there are things that bother me a lot more about the series than that, such as Japan centric event distribution and, lately, how every generation introduces a new game changing mechanic while making previous ones unavailable.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I need to give credit where it's due.

It's been an excellent idea for Bethesda's marketing team to arrange this interview with Todd. It's not your usual "PR talk"-type of interview, it's more an insight into development. Even while I still have the same opinion about Starfield as I did after this year's pseudo E3, I can appreciate this video:

An extra thanks goes to him for handling the hard sci-fi question.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to Blacktail (from The Parasight S.A.), a first-person action-adventure game inspired by Slavic folklore. Here is the official gameplay overview trailer:

Bonus point: a morality system of some kind depending on the choices you make in various encounters/dialogues. Can't wait to play as Yaga!

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Need to post this for folks interested in Starfield:

Todd Howard said he loves companions and romance systems in games, and Starfield will have 4 romance options that are more complex than Fallout 4.

You can check this link for more info from the recent interview/podcast by Lex Fridman.

m7600

Habitué
So I was scrolling through YouTube, and the algorithm recommended me this. The game is called Hellish Quart. Right now it's Early Access on Steam. It's a fighting game, but it aims to be a realistic fencing / swordfighting game.

I would definitely play this game. I'm not entirely sure if I would enjoy it, but I would play it for a different reason, namely to get a better understanding of realistic swordfighting, if that makes any sense. I mean, as far as entertainment goes, I prefer flashy and unrealistic swordfighting, like in movies or RPGs for example. But this game's combat mechanics look so realistic that playing it must be in some sense comparable to reading a book or a research paper on swordfighting during the Middle Ages. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this one.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
So I was scrolling through YouTube, and the algorithm recommended me this. The game is called Hellish Quart. Right now it's Early Access on Steam. It's a fighting game, but it aims to be a realistic fencing / swordfighting game.

I would definitely play this game. I'm not entirely sure if I would enjoy it, but I would play it for a different reason, namely to get a better understanding of realistic swordfighting, if that makes any sense. I mean, as far as entertainment goes, I prefer flashy and unrealistic swordfighting, like in movies or RPGs for example. But this game's combat mechanics look so realistic that playing it must be in some sense comparable to reading a book or a research paper on swordfighting during the Middle Ages. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Looks interesting but I've never been good at fighting games. I can never get the button combinations right. But i'd enjoy watching someone who plays this well.

Top Bottom