Industry News / Upcoming Games

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
The trend to gather under big umbrellas of corporations (Microsoft and Embracer acquisitions) over the last 3-5 years started to backfire very badly. I hope what it will lead to is the resurgence of small/mid indie studios around the world working with small/mid publishers.
Welp.

"A new Bloomberg report reveals Disney executives are looking to get further into games. Their solution? Acquire Electronic Arts.

Sources speaking to the outlet say executives under current CEO Bob Iger want him to perform a "bolder transformation" of Disney's video game division. Rather than license out properties like Marvel and Star Wars, it should buy up a publisher with extensive game experience, and EA specifically was mentioned.

Iger is said to be "noncommittal" about the matter, but the two companies have had a somewhat stable relationship over the last eight years."

Chronicler

Habitué
Feel like Disney's a lot bolder in their acquisitions these days.

Like, smaller businesses getting bought up by companies like Disney was always a thing, but now it seems like they're absorbing other Corporate Giants. EA's one of the biggest names in their industry, short of the ones who make their own consoles.

Pretty sure that Fox merger would've been shut down under many previous governments, but I guess we're just stuck with it since they found a lax enough moment to do it.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
It's so inspiring to read about video games in an article about Grammys:

"And in only its second year of existence, the “score soundtrack for video games and other interactive media” category is bound to be filled with fan favorites. Bear McCreary’s “God of War: Ragnarok” has already won the BAFTA for game music and is a likely nominee.

“Star Wars: Jedi Survivor,” by Stephen Barton and Gordy Haab, has been widely ballyhooed, as has the first-ever interactive videogame musical, “Stray Gods,” by Austin Wintory, Jess Serro and Tripod.

Among other game scores up for possible Grammy nomination: Inon Zur’s “Starfield,” Borislav Slavov’s “Baldur’s Gate 3,” ” and the Harry Potter-inspired “Hogwarts Legacy” by Peter Murray, J. Scott Rakozy and Chuck E. Myers."

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I guess, the topic of this week is very high system requirements for Alan Wake 2 that releases soon.

F85erF6WcAAMlKY.jpg

For me personally, even BG3 was a watershed. The game's performance on an HDD was very bad. Seems AAA PC gaming might become a rich kids club soon.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
PC's in general are kind of becoming a bit of a niche specialty interest.

Amazes me how many people just don't have a desktop or laptop computer these days. They do everything on their phone.
I agree. And there are so many things that are just more convenient to do using a computer. Even just browsing the web is better done on a computer than any phone.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
The Epic Games Store still isn’t profitable. According to The Verge, we knew the company was spending millions to give away free games every week, but we’d heard it was a bit of a money sink despite not actually paying for each and every copy given away.

In case you’re keeping track, Epic Games Store boss Steve Allison says on the witness stand his store isn’t profitable yet. The goal is still growth, he says. Emails revealed during the Epic v. Apple trial suggested the company was hoping to claim half of all PC gaming revenue.

Black Elk

Habitué
So BG3 pretty much sweeps the Golden Joystick...? And SAG-AFTRA prevails on the same night!?

Feels like it's going to be a good weekend! And a pretty decent charge into the holiday season kicking off heheh

I know awards are just awards, but it does make me happy, truly! In my wildest imaginings I wouldn't have guessed I'd ever even get to see a BG3, let alone a BG3 that aces and maybe even seizes the triple crown before all's said and done. I hope they take this as a real good cue to announce an expansion! Lol

Fingers crossed!

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
It is. But imagine that experienced teams at Microsoft and Bethesda took ~2 months to think about the marketing and PR response to the not-so-great Starfield launch, and came up with this strategy. It's either the marketing and PR teams doing something that is not known to Todd & Co, or this is coming from the above. Both of these options are bad, but the latter is just plain brutal and sad if true, from the future standpoint for that company.

Chronicler

Habitué
I mean, yes, space is mostly empty, but it's not like all those other videogame journeys take place in a setting without uninteresting locales. It just skips over that shit.

If you get on a train, you're either gonna get deeply entrenched in a murder mystery or the game's gonna skip forward sixteen hours to when you arrive at your destination. Same principle. If there's a planet that's boring you leave that out of the game and make a level out of the interesting one.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
It looks awkward, especially considering the same people at the company don't fully understand the scope of the problem. When Andromeda failed, BioWare stopped promoting it. When Cyberpunk 2077 was criticized on its release, CDPR stopped all promotional videos and posts about it and got back to work.

Just look at the responses...

They would get more positivity if they didn't aggro players with these moves.

And then, it becomes more awkward when we find out apparently it took 7 years to find fun in Starfield... When the sentiment around is that fun is still lacking in that game.

Top Bottom