Multiclassing in BG3

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried it myself (still in my 1st playthrough), but now when my warlock reached lvl 10, I'm thinking that I should give him multiclass levels (I actually wanted to try it even for this level up). With the Pact of the Blade, I can benefit greatly from taking 2 fighter levels for Action Surge. And ofc, the same is true for Lae'zel and Karlach - just feels a bit wrong to have them as solo classes (fighter and barbarian) when there are not many new bonuses left. In the original games, I was such a fan of multiclassing, always preferring, say, a F/T, to standard thieves.

Have you tried MC in BG3?

Larian released some graphs to show popular MC combinations in BG3.

53206228631_ff854aa256_b.jpg

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I haven't tried it myself (still in my 1st playthrough), but now when my warlock reached lvl 10, I'm thinking that I should give him multiclass levels (I actually wanted to try it even for this level up). With the Pact of the Blade, I can benefit greatly from taking 2 fighter levels for Action Surge. And ofc, the same is true for Lae'zel and Karlach - just feels a bit wrong to have them as solo classes (fighter and barbarian) when there are not many new bonuses left. In the original games, I was such a fan of multiclassing, always preferring, say, a F/T, to standard thieves.

Have you tried MC in BG3?

Larian released some graphs to show popular MC combinations in BG3.

View attachment 5953

I was thinking about it many times, but decided not to multiclass on my first run. But will definitely experiment with it on my second, evil run. I plan to play oathbreaker paladin and was thinking of dipping two levels in Fighter, precisesly for Action Surge. Having a direct comparison between Karlach and Lae'zel, I see how much of an impact Action Surge carries. Karlach may have higher chance to hit, but in the end Lae'zel trumphs with more attacks in my opinion. Having a number od attacks of a fighter with Divine Smite of a paladin seems like a powerful combo.

I don't know how deep is Minthara's class connected to her background, but I was thinking of changing her to a ranger with some multiclassing (haven't decided about the details yet).

Black Elk

Habitué
I think I'm on my seventh run messing around with Minthara. I think you could do pretty much whatever with her. Her starting kit probably could recall something like the cleric/rangers of old, but just an evil-ish version of that. She has some huntress sounding barks and she is called the Night Warden, which sounds pretty cool hehe.

I can't say I'm surprised to see Bard/Sorcerer not exactly climbing the charts, but I had fun with that for a novelty. Druid multi Fighter seemed kinda underwhelming compared to the old school Fight Druid dual, sorta stalled out on that playthrough. I like experimenting with the companions

Zaxares

Habitué
Alas, I'm kinda particular about my runs and I almost always stick with single classes. :p I did some reading about the recommended MC options and some of them are indeed very powerful (if not outright broken), but that's fine by me. I'm running a mod that eliminates the party size limit so I'm fairly sure there's nothing that my 11-man party of myself, Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale, Astarion, Wyll, Karlach, Halsin, Jaheira, Minsc and that Bard henchman can't handle. ;P

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Alas, I'm kinda particular about my runs and I almost always stick with single classes. :p I did some reading about the recommended MC options and some of them are indeed very powerful (if not outright broken), but that's fine by me. I'm running a mod that eliminates the party size limit so I'm fairly sure there's nothing that my 11-man party of myself, Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale, Astarion, Wyll, Karlach, Halsin, Jaheira, Minsc and that Bard henchman can't handle. ;P

Well, I'd advise installing also a mod that makes the game more difficult, too. BG3 is not the most difficult game out there, even on Tactician. There is a difficulty spike in act 3, but even there, there was nothing that I could handle with a couple of reloads. I imagine going through it with 11-man party would be like playing Story mode :)

Zaxares

Habitué
Well, I'd advise installing also a mod that makes the game more difficult, too. BG3 is not the most difficult game out there, even on Tactician. There is a difficulty spike in act 3, but even there, there was nothing that I could handle with a couple of reloads. I imagine going through it with 11-man party would be like playing Story mode :)
Hehe, in all seriousness though, I might actually drop some of them and keep the number to around 6'ish (just like the originals <3). The original reason why I wanted to bring everybody at once was because I wanted to see all of their reactions and responses to various situations. However, in a few places now I've noticed that the game seems to be scripted to only let one, possibly two, companions interject because the game wasn't expecting all the companions to be present. So my guess is that BG3's dialogue tree isn't structured the same way as the older games, where it essentially starts with 1 NPC and then rotates through the entire list until everybody's had their say. If this is true, then there's really no reason for me to bring absolutely everybody, so I could just fill my party with the major roles (Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Rogue) and then add particular NPCs that I enjoy and leave it at that.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Hehe, in all seriousness though, I might actually drop some of them and keep the number to around 6'ish (just like the originals <3). The original reason why I wanted to bring everybody at once was because I wanted to see all of their reactions and responses to various situations. However, in a few places now I've noticed that the game seems to be scripted to only let one, possibly two, companions interject because the game wasn't expecting all the companions to be present. So my guess is that BG3's dialogue tree isn't structured the same way as the older games, where it essentially starts with 1 NPC and then rotates through the entire list until everybody's had their say. If this is true, then there's really no reason for me to bring absolutely everybody, so I could just fill my party with the major roles (Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Rogue) and then add particular NPCs that I enjoy and leave it at that.

Yeah the only problem I have with that is that I keep running into situations where it suddenly becomes evident that it would have been relevant to have this or that character in the party, and I don't feel like going back and bringing them if it means running through a lot of terrain or content again. Sometimes it's obvious of course which companion might be reasonable to bring along (wouldn't have gone into Shar's Gauntlet without Shadowheart, obviously, or into the Githyanki creche without Lae'zel), but not always.

I would like to see all their unique reactions as well. I suppose it's not always possible, simple as that, because I don't like constantly swapping out party members. It's probably meant to enhance replayability experiences, but I don't know when I will replay, so there we are.
I don't have a roleplaying problem with having everyone at camp and occasionally setting out with a different team for different purposes, but the whole annoying issue of keeping their levels and equipment up-to-date when I can't access their character screen in camp if they aren't currently in the party really makes me use that possibility less and less.
It's probably not thought through because the idea to have everyone you want at camp was added rather late in the development and initially the plan seems to have been to lock in your party after a certain point, like they did after Fort Joy in Divinity: Original Sin 2.

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
Finally got back into BG3 after getting sidetracked and finishing multiple NWN2 campaigns on the side.

I have not regretted my Monk/Druid multi one bit. He is my main damage dealer, because all of his equipment adds different elemental damage to his attacks.

the Helldusk Gloves give 1-4 fire (with weapon) and 1-4 necrotic damage (unarmed) I use both if I am making a full attack

one of his rings gives him 1-4 psychic damage when concentrating on a spell

and the other ring gives a permanent 2 acid damage

Because he is a spore druid, he also gets 1-6 necrotic damage on attacks, and he gets a bonus attack (circle of spores, stacks with flurry of blows)

and because he is a monk, he gets flurry of blows, for 1-2 extra attacks per round, and multiattack

so with that all being said, gets 4-5 attacks per round, and 5-14 extra elemental damage per attack. The elemental damage and attacks per round can go even higher, but this is where the bonuses are at a base level, with minimal preparation and resource use.

this is a fun build, great fighting ability, healing, damage spells, shapeshifting for some minor tanking...

I am only just exploring Moonrise Towers now, so I am sure there is more I can do to build this idea up.

Last edited:

Black Elk

Habitué
Sounds fun! I keep looking for a BG3 Spor'cerer build that I can vibe on, but it's a little tough cause of that tension between Wis and Cha at the high end, competing for the top attribute to push 20. In that instance I felt like the power spike from a lvl 10 Druid/2 Sorcerer for meta nonsense would probably seem alright, like still reasonably competing in the endgame, just cause Druid sorta peaks at lvl 10 I feel like, with some room left over after that. For the draconic Sorcerers I tried the 1 lvl dip in basically every class combo, cause I figured 11 lvls was enough of a power fantasy and then the multi-class would be like a nerf or self imposed restriction. Just cause eating a spellslot and a feat for flavor seemed like a lot. Although by that point in the game the scrolls and equipment and the slush money from the rest of the party make it feel much easier to manage being slightly off the power curve. Being 2 levels off the curve feels somewhat different though, I feel like in those cases I need to invert and focus on the secondary class for the power spike otherwise the play feels very similar to vanilla sorcerer just with a few more dialogue options, or weapon/armor proficiencies and whatnot.

I'm also trying to find a Sorlock that I can get into. I enjoy the challenge of being a bit behind the power curve early on, and then having a reason to care about scrolls and camp supplies and such, like when they seem to have the largest impact in the first act. Tried a few Warlocks, the Sorlock, Padlock, and Sporlock were all pretty fun. The splits are kinda wonky though. Similar to the sorcerers and most other multi classes I feel like it's not quite legit without also sealing the deal on a pact choice, but that's a third level thing. So it's another one of those fighting against the level cap situations. I suppose by that point the itemization and crazy scrolls on offer for relatively cheap sorta allow for whatever, but it still stings a bit.

For me the only 11/1 split that seems to offset eating the feat and giving up the highest end spellslot for a character who is primarily a caster is some type of Cleric dip, just cause I get to pick a god hehe, and their cantrips and lvl 1 spell lists are pretty deep. Command and Sanctuary are a lot of fun for kiting antics, and it's cool to have an awesome weapon or some fearsome armor or a shield. Even if Draconic scales make it so that the armor is sorta pointless lol, it's still nice to pickup a sword or a glaive. I wish Dragonborn had some unique weapon proficiencies, cause their breath attacks aren't all that spectacular hehe. I tried the 11/1 split with each class, usually taking the second class in sorcerer at lvl 2. In my headgame, Durge is forgetful, so it usually takes a while for him to remember/discover his draconic lineage. Otherwise I kinda feel like sorcerer should be innate for lvl 1, but dude has so many holes in his brain that it sorta works for me. The sequence for the multi-class is sorta wonky though, cause I prefer to have the Draconic robes, but you can only grab those by choosing Sorcerer as the initial class/sub-class, otherwise I'm stuck with sleeves like the Wild Magic Sorcerers and I miss out on the cool dragon icon next to my portrait. For weapon proficiencies and armor the choice between Sorlock and War'cerer doesn't seem to matter, except that I like the dragon icon and the robes. For this I feel like a respec at lvl 2/3 or whenever Withers first comes to camp is respectable. Like basically where having Withers hinting at stuff somehow helps us to recall the draconic power within, even if we take Warlock or whatever other class first, for an extra 100 GP! lol

I have a hard time breaking away from my standard act 1 party comp of Lae'zel as a Battlemaster, Astarion as an Assassin, and then Shadowheart taking on whatever role seems to complement whatever Durge has going on for that run. Astarion almost always gets ditched for Minthara or Jaheira in Act 2, as soon as Cat's Grace or the Sleight or Hand gloves are acquired so someone can take over his lockbusting/trap disarming utility for the party. Alert Assassins are fun an all, and he's particularly useful in Act 1, where I go non-lethal damage almost the entire time, but rogues aren't really as exciting for me towards the endgame. He has the best chance for the 1 shot on merchants or NPCs that I want to keep around early on though. Mainly by having Shadowheart cast hold person, then Astarion crits whoever from the shadows, and we all bounce before anyone takes a hit in attitude. For Sorlock though I went with a different Durge character concept. Instead of Din the Dragon who already has like a dozen doppelgangers charming their way through the lower city, I went for trios of wood elf witches.

Decided to bring Runa Vall back out of retirement for a Pact of the Tome!

Screenshot 2024-06-02 180845.pngScreenshot 2024-06-03 231159.png

I prefer to blast and play the spellcaster rather than the blade type. I think I would go Pact of the Chain, except that Shovel already exists with better lines than the rando imp/quasit/cat, and I like getting Haste for a boon.

She's more of a standard wicked witch wood elf, running around in the destitute clothes with no shoes on hehe. Originally I wanted to go Archfey taking my cues from Ethel, but ultimately decided Fiend was the better fit. Basic idea is just to glom onto Wylls storyline and pretend that Raph and Mizora are showing up only because they know we're already pretty fiendish. I think for an actual Patron concept, Bhaal sorta works, it's just a matter of pretending that all the main campaign characters are kicking up a fuss over our wayward soul, like as if they weren't just always doing that anyway, for every Tav, but specifically cause we're a badass warlock. I can almost suspend the necessary disbelief to pull it off.

Routing through Act I is tough though, because again I like to keep Alfira alive, mostly for her winning personality and the kickass robes in Act II. This puts a strain on our early relationship with Minthara and also a lot of pressure on Lump and the gang to come correct during the first nail biter fight with Ragzlin. That battle sometimes goes south, like if Rags gets dropped too soon or the Ogres bounce out of initiative cause some random gobbo bangs on a drum or whatever. Or even worse, if Minthara gets nailed by an acid vial or something after being knocked out to ruin the best laid plans.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 063110.pngScreenshot 2024-06-06 022007.png

Then there was the issue of what to do with Karlach, cause I knew we'd want to keep Mizora around. Allowing Wyll to make bad decisions and take Karlach's head seemed a pretty easy way to get the ball rolling there, and ensure that the campaign would feel sufficiently villainous. Mainly cause I just don't trust myself to be wicked enough in Act II, where no matter what happens I just always cave as soon as Jaheira shows up. There are plenty of places in Act III to find our footing again, but I need something to hold onto as a villainous deed to really seal the deal early on, which we can just pin on Wyll after convincing him that the infernal robes look better on us anyway lol. I think his character is a bit more interesting when he has something to be all regretful and melancholy about, and Karlach kinda steals all that thunder if she hangs around. Then he becomes all exuberant and cheerful, so I feel like he probably should go Padlock or Bardlock in those instances for the extra good Tavs (like when he makes his turnaround), but wicked mirror version for extra evil Durges if he goes no horns and just believes Anders and Mizora to lead him astray.

Screenshot 2024-06-06 222120.pngScreenshot 2024-06-06 033713.png

Mechanically Sorlock feels like the whole thing is probably Distant Eldritch blast for strategic edgepan yeeting, or twinned haste once the Pact of the Tome comes online, but it's a bit of a tough split cause the sorcery points are few at the start and nothing is vibing really until lvl 5-6 in warlock. Getting the +1d10 bonus to any roll from the patron feels massive, along with being a CHA based caster, I get a lot of talk around options that are near impossible to miss unless crit failing in convo, and even then with 3 or 4 inspiration re-rolls there's basically nothing she hasn't been able to talk her way out of thus far. At lvl 1 Sorcerer is mostly just grabbing a key ritual spell or jump and a couple useful cantrips that I might feel like I'm missing otherwise. I should probably switch it around and lead Sorcerer for the Quickening, but I've done it so many times that way I felt like Warlock leading might be more my speed. Quicken feels expensive, and then the whole mechanic of eating spellslots to spit out sorcery points feels complicated. I think I'd probably have just as much fun playing a pure class Warlock, but also really like the idea of a hidden draconic bloodline that reveals itself with scales for the boss AC and a little elemental resistance. I think lvl 2/6 Sorlock is fun to get the spike right around Moonrise, but the longest plateau seems to come right before that leading into Act II clincher, so I might have to think on the split. I always foot drag here cause it's my favorite part of the game.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 063224.pngScreenshot 2024-06-07 000626.png

Something about darting around barefoot in the Shadowlands hehe. All those Shadows should just know to run right?! lol

Last edited:

Black Elk

Habitué
Ok so I think I've tried enough Sorlocks now to form some sort of opinion hehe. Gyrm handed me my ass like almost immediately after that last post, first honorable death in a while, just shy of the 20 hr mark, so had to try again. I got greedy and sloppy going for the Adamantine splint...

Screenshot 2024-06-09 030132.png

Second out from the Nautiloid was a little shaky, but we're back on top of things again! lol

It's tough, cause trying to do all the stuff to get the Quill scene with Durge instead of Alfira, just so I can nab the potent robes later on for Sorlock power ups is by itself fairly tricky - add to that knocking out Minthara so I can keep Evil Wyll and Mizora on board, ensuring Lump dies in the Goblin battle with Ragzlin just so I can have 17 INT, so I don't have to feel like a dunce Sorlock, then taking the Hags hair for the CHA boost etc- it's a lot of moving parts for the meta. And that's all before the Zaithisk. Took some figuring for sure.

This time I couldn't prevent Mayrina getting teleported into the Hag's lair so I wasn't able to keep her out of the deal. Meant I couldn't grab the Bitter Divorce wand this time for an extra zombie, but it's whatever. I got most of the bases covered so just kept it charging. Right around 20 hrs again, about to face down Myrkul.

Screenshot 2024-06-09 090506.png

As usual I had to lean heavily on Lae'zel to carry me in the early game building the comp around her for the standard combat. Shadowheart to CC, and the Lae'zel + Astarion combo for knock out and strategic assassinations. Otherwise, playing Sorlock the way I did it (taking 1 lvl in warlock as soon as we hit the beach) is playing pretty much the entirety of the first act at the lvl 1/4 split. This isn't too bad, since the way the areas are designed the characters might route through the first part of the game several ways and still come out ok, I think only the Gith fight vs Baretha and co can get hectic. I found that if I timed it right, I could get the dialog with Voss to pass deception so Lae'zel rejoins the group, then ping one of the Gith raiders immediately, like after Voss flies away as they're trying to run off towards the hills, and they will rejoin combat. I got a surprise round and put Baretha to bed that way hehe. She's now a member of our zombie group, Runa Vall and the Goodberry Girls lol

Screenshot 2024-06-09 015354.png

Second out I opted not to try Grym, I just went down alone and made the armor then took off. I think hitting lvl 5 spike in Sorcerer is a little easier vs the Creche. Zaithisk to nail the doctor then doing Ch'rai and nail Jeera, kill a few Kobolds and Ester and once we hit lvl 6 everything sorta evens out. I kinda bounced around once Lae'zel's personal quest is handled. Shadowheart after she has the Luminous Armor and the boots of speed scales up pretty big time to coast through the end of Act I into Act II. I ended up giving the armor to Minthara later on since I thought I'd try her dual wielding smites this time, just for a change of pace. That trio sorta does the dirty work while I focused on support till I could catch up with the second level in Warlock.

Screenshot 2024-06-14 001129.png

I feel like mechanically to make the Eldritch blast feel worth it need that extra 5 damage per ray from the agonizing blast and the push for yeeting. I went to lvl 1/6 charging to get the elemental boost for damage, then 2/6 for the blast. 2/7 right before the Ketheric fight. With the potent robes it's pretty furious. Kept Lae'zel in the Adamantine splint, going with Orange as the safety color like Heaven and Earth samurai style. Her warding bond with Minthara is pretty strong hehe

Screenshot 2024-06-14 033829.png

Main issue though, and I think this is just how BG3 handles creating sorcery points, but it's sorta set up so that you have to eat the lvl 1 sorcerer spells before you can eat the lvl 1 warlock spells. Basically so you can create like another half dozen sorc points and always open quickened. Since pushing short rest you can replace 4 more points all together it's pretty similar to pure class Sorcerer just with a better cantrip and the warlock flavor. Probably magic initiate feat with Eldritch blast would feel pretty similar without all the Warlock spell eating complexity, but I didn't feel like I was lagging too far behind the rest of the party in terms of power. Unique spells would be stuff at the low end like Hellish rebuke as a reaction cause I'm already doing fire damage. I went with HEX over Arms of Hadar, just cause it felt thematic. It competes directly with Haste though, so doesn't get used much now, still thought it made sense for a Witch. Command for my main Warlock spell, which I've used in a pinch many times since it can be upcast. Overall pretty entertaining. I miss out a bit on the higher lvl perks from Warlock, especially Hunger of Hadar which I find myself missing, also the pact boons, but I think having the extra Sorcerer spells especially 4th and 5th level spells makes more sense than anything I can get from Warlock trying to do a more even split. 3/9 feels like it would be just for RP, but 2/10 I think will get the job done. Guess we'll find out before too long hehe.

Good times!

ps. Handled! Minthara knocked him down a peg with the full goon squad. Didn't mess around this time...

Screenshot 2024-06-15 200825.png

Screenshot 2024-06-15 201723.png

Screenshot 2024-06-15 202453.png

Screenshot 2024-06-15 223912.png

Our undead army was more formidable than his!
Eldritch Blast FTW!

Last edited:

Black Elk

Habitué
Alas I forgot my main reason for playing as Dragonborn in BG3 - the forced visualization in Act III! Oh no! hehe

Cause I can multiclass all day long, but only get one chance to choose our character's fantasy race. I remember Elves having it particularly rough on this one.

Sadly in BG3 there are a few points during the game when our main character's base avatar undergoes a change in the visualization. You know, that we then have to see reflected back at us in cutscenes, especially during the final third of the game. Sometimes it seems less egregious than others, since stuff like the signature blood and mud can be rocked or washed off using create water, although even there it frequently happens that our main character or one of our companions will start railing off their lines looking like the end cuts from a 'Punch-Out!!' game or something hehe. I don't know, like after a climactic fight to save some NPC, but then in the very next scene with 1 HP they have two shiners, and are bleeding from both ears, with like purple cheeks and dirt all over their mug for rousing dialogue. Seems like overkill. The first branch in any convo tree should probably be something like "Oh my god, are you alright?" and then they hand us a handkerchief or just start praying for healing words to clean us up before the cutscene proceeds lol

It's whatever, blood and mud isn't really run ending. The astral touched tadpole on the other hand can sink my motivation to play out the third act a bit, depending on how it ends up looking on a given character. Not every character is the same in this regard. It looks quite different if playing as a Dragonborn or a lineage with scales, or as a Half Orc or maybe a Tief who already has horns and crazy demon eyes. For the more mundane humans and elves the visual is somewhat more overpowering. Volo's Eye I can ignore, but the half-Illithid stuff nearly ruined me again.

Thankfully Runa Vall doesn't care all that much and just rocks the scales now I suppose. I had been using the shredder hood, since I have light armor proficiency with the 2 lvls in warlock, but that jacks with the AC bonus from our bracers of defense and the scales. It's the difference between 19 AC and 14 AC so can't be wearing that one. Had me rethinking the itemization I went for now.

It shouldn't be a shocker I suppose that listening to the Dream Guardian all those times just came back to haunt us, but unlike some other story based choices we might make (like with Volo's eye) this one requires a check and that check is also weighted against how many abilities were unlocked. Passing the point of no return, no reload, there's just nothing to be done for it really without giving up the ghost. At least with the mud we can break out our canteen for a shower, but the tadpole bit is more perma style, with no backsies. It's like darkside corruption that can't be hidden. Even in a setting full of magical disguises, there's still just nothing for it. We get some facepaint and body art options sure, some zombie makeup or similar at the mirror, but no matter which pattern we choose the tadpole visual is always telegraphed from a mile away. We see Ethel and Orin guising about and doing stuff to make themselves inconspicuous, but for our main characters it's no such luck, even with the mask that changes our appearance. All those avatars just do the same thing and end up looking the same way, veins around the eyes and such.

No facepaint option to just paint over our whole face at once to cover up the half illithid-ness. Like the full venetian plaster foundation method. All the paint and tattoo options are just some version of a Darth Maul or like tribal whatevers from the late 90s, with a lot of gaps. I tried a few glowing face tats but didn't really fit the vibe. There are some masks and helmets I guess, if I feel like watching all the cinematics without any facial expressions, but I can't masquerade much there either. The optimal shredder hood of Menzoberranzan competes with other headgear that would be better for my character concept, and it has those special armor proficiency requirements that nerf anything based on wearing no armor. You're also then locked into that armored appearance for the duration, rather than using the camp appearance, since the latter doesn't have hats or headgear of any sort.

I feel like the visualization they foist on us for this stuff would recommend some headgear like Zorro, or Visas Marr from KOTOR 2, maybe a hood with a deeper cowl like Kreia's (also from KOTOR 2). Basically riding hats with the brims super low, such that we never see our characters eyes at all. The Shar/twister sister look I suppose, but again, not on offer for the custom character. I searched the whole sewer for a phantom of the opera mask, but never came across one lol. Plenty of capes with clips, but no scarves or like habits with a veil to gloss things over like sister Lidwin. I think probably the best one can get is to crank one of the face tattoo options so it's glowing, maybe with the devil lines over everything to knock it back, but again just kinda looked weird to me.

Since the main offender here happens pretty far along in the campaign, it just feels like there should be a way to choose how the Half-Illithid transformation will present on the character with a bit more nuance. You know, with more than just a one-size-fits-all approach. For example, the blackout sclera or demon eye effect might be separated from the spider neck veins or whatever, maybe a slider to change the colors etc. Depending on the base avatar model chosen initially, the portraits will also show this half-ilithid effect pretty differently. Wyll getting horns, or Shadoheart going platinum is similar, but both those characters are companions, it feels different when the same thing happens to the Player's own creation.

When it comes to the main character I feel like the game shouldn't be all trying to yank the steering wheel away from me or force us to course correct the character's sense of aesthetic progression (or lack of) in that way. Not when there's still like another 100 hours of gameplay to go after that point.

It comes across as an obvious malus for the character who leans villainous, because there is nothing we can really do about it in terms of dissembling. Whereas if there was an option to "Hide Illithid Appearance" whether through magic or mundane UI button means, then the same thing happening would probably come across as a cool bonus.

Choosing to look like the worm when you want would be a bit different than just always looking that way, if there was a toggle for this like there is for camp appearance it wouldn't be the same issue, but this feels more forceful than it needs to be. The choice during the final ascent is largely similar where my attachment to any specific character concept just immediately tanks if going for the full Illithid transformation. This is framed as the self sacrificing choice rather than a power play, so that's a bit odd.

You can eschew the initial half-transformation thinking you're doing the right thing there, only to get hit by that same train again at the end. If instead the player chooses vanity and just wants to keep their initial appearance it might be too late for honour. The way that scene goes down the choice comes after a long fight and a long expository monologue, with dice rolls for the checks too. Comes at a somewhat inconvenient point in the campaign too, right before we head back to a situation with normal lighting. On the surface in Rivington, with a lot of mini-cutscenes and convo dialogs in rapid succession where of course I just notice my face a lot more. Stuff like this hammers the replay in Act III for me, because I start making meta choices based on the appearance changes that I know will eventually occur.

The game goes out of its way to present that one as a particularly consequential choice, but for me it was a consequence of the choices that I already made, the dialogue looped me cause I was too far gone. I think the only option was to stomp the tadpole, which I declined to do. It's just kinda funny. I'm hiding in the slums right now trying to figure it all out lol

Screenshot 2024-06-16 024945.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-06-16 024316.png

This is what we're dealing with...

Screenshot 2024-06-17 022651.jpeg

This my current solution.

Screenshot 2024-06-17 024132.jpeg

I ended up leaning into the Red Dragon lineage, red tone 5 with the glowing pink tattoos just cause it gave an alright portrait and seemed to fit the draconic vibes. Redder than Orin at least, maybe not quite as red as Raphael lol

Screenshot 2024-06-17 024303.jpeg

I keep running back into the barn to make adjustments, I guess it's our dragons lair now lol.

Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
But aren't you not forced to use the astral touched tadpole? I mean, fashion > character power :)

I agree that customization and visual options are lacking in BG3, and one has to use a ton of mods to work around those limitations, which sometimes have no effect.

Black Elk

Habitué
For sure! I'm not entirely certain if there was any way to avoid it, given that our brain had like a dozen tadpoles swimming around in it already (I took the hit for the team there, except for Minthara, who unlocked Luck of the Far Realms with 1), but if I had it to do again I'd probably have quaffed a potion of heroism, used all the inspiration, whatever it takes. I figured black holes and flight might compensate for being behind the power curve at the lvl cap, but it's a rough trade off. I just feel like there are already enough surprises going on in that interlude. A face change on top of the rest is sorta grating...

Soon as I got back from the Astral plane Lae'zel got all up on her high horse about it lol...

First I got the cold shoulder, then the Djinni called us 'ugly one', go figure lol. Thought we'd recovered true love at the circus, but since I persuaded my way through the gates before doing anything else, Orin just merc'd Zethino right then and there in front of us. Like just after the love tree. Totally punked me out. Talking about how "Father" was hella disappointed in us, just to rub it in hehe. Pretty hardcore, I hadn't seen that one before...

Screenshot 2024-06-17 031843.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-06-17 032525.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-06-17 034250.jpeg

Then I had the craziest bug I've experienced to date, legit, in like 4 years of playing the game since EA, with the flamming fist and the teddy bears. It was this exact bug, except instead of Mol endlessly looping her line it was the guards.

I think it might be related to using the "friends" cantrip on a higher difficulty setting (honour mode here) but he would auto reinitiate the convo, say his line, then just immediately go back and say it again, same cut over and over and over. It would play over trying to access the inventory or hotbar, even the main game menus were getting interrupted.

Manip Nestor's infinite loop "I don't need you standing here gawking, thanks" then "I don't need you standing here gawking, thanks" again and again. Trying to move or take an action or pause the game, there's no time. Single save was stuck on it, I reloaded like 6 times in a row and it'd just dump me back into the same loop.

I ended up having to ungroup in the half second that I was able to regain control of the cursor, before he'd spit out the line again, then over the course of like 20 minutes trying to move Shadowheart away from the barn inch by inch. It aggro'd the entire Refugee area in the process. I was going to try and kill everyone, like fuck it, but then Biscotti also came at me!!!

I had to kill Lae'zel myself with a fireball from the rafters, just to prevent her from using riposte on the dog heheh. Managed to save the hound and drink an invisibility potion, eventually escaped, but it took forever. There were like 35 enemies descending on the donation chest including Bex and Dannis lol. It was such a chore trying to resist the Urge on that one. We're never going back to that place hehe. I'm just glad I remembered to talk to the one Sharran guy, cause I don't think anything else there really matters. But yeah, super hectic lol

Where was my fiendish patron when we really needed em?! heheh

Other than that, Sorlock Multiclass is going alright thus far. Pretty soon it will just be all down to the items, but I picked up my interupt AoE with the Ice storm so I feel like we're cool now. I kinda wish there was a fire spell to do something similar with bludgeoning damage and knocking everyone prone, but I just go with the whole dry ice thing, 'it's so cold it burns' red dragon style I guess. Eldritch blast is putting up pretty reliable damage now per ray, with haste and some quickened fireball and ray of fire antics. I'm trying to theme Jaheira for fire summons as well, even though they're not quite as powerful as air for this part of the game.

Pretty fun! Trying to use Minthara as a dual wielder instead of heavy weapon or sword and board was also kinda charming. I put her in the Yuan-Ti scale with the Dex gloves for now, cause she seemed to benefit most from that combo, Indigo as the safety color. Now she's a bit sneakier with the high initiative hasty smites and auras.

I just want to blast through Rivington and get the ball rolling, so I don't lose too much momentum. This part of the game always sorta drags for me, with so many npcs competing for our attention all at once. Usually all I want to do is get a nice looking dye job going for the gear before advancing into the city proper. I almost wish there was a dungeon with some more trash mobs and monsters to smash. Just to get a feel and try some stuff out without having to bring the robocops into it. I feel something like that would probably help the pacing a bit, but I just try to go after the setpiece stuff and hoof it to the next section with a quickness.

Unlike BG1/2 where Dual Classing or Multiclass has a real power payoff at the cap that makes up for the early lagtime, in the 5e/BG3 scheme it feels like Multiclass is more about finding a way to increase actions or bonus actions per turn at this halfway mark and on. Least for a dedicated caster type, cause I can have a bunch of spellslots all day, upcasted meta etc, but it's still down to the actions per turn and running up against that limitation for the overall burstiness.

Basically everything I cast has to be distant, twinned, or quickened meta magic to make up for not having those more powerful spells at the highest end, relying heavily on haste to cram enough actions into the turn. Distant spell is surprisingly useful, and relatively cheap. Not only can I kite in with an edgepanned attack spell to open, just so the enemy has to waste a round dashing over, but it also really shines for certain spells like wall of fire (which can made extremely long that way), or just for pinging a robocop off the cliff with a good old fashioned Eldritch blast repulse. The black hole quickened fireball combo is also quite entertaining, just a very satisfying series of kabooms there. Lvl 2/7-2/8 Multiclass for this part of the game, next to my companions at lvl 9-10. I still end up needing the crew to carry me, but not nearly as much as during the Act 1 climb. The big gun spells, stuff like chain lightning or the globe I figure we'll just grab some scrolls, but for the regular dungeon crawling feels pretty solid. Thus far anyway, I don't know, there are some tough battles towards the end. We'll see what happens hehe

Last edited:
Top Bottom