No chance to play yet, how's it feel???

Black Elk

Habitué
Apparently it was my kleptomania and wanton slaying that was the cause of that campaign totally foot dragging. Guess it serves me right for playing such a horrid villain lol.

Xartav might have to wait until after patch 5 for his just desserts now that I know the dire consequences of all those NPC approval drops. I guess this would be the time to atone at the temple of Restartitus, with some sort of no-kill no-steal Paladin type run I suppose, least till week's end.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
I haven't been stealing and pickpocketing as much in this game as I used to in D:OS2. Somehow I found it less fun, maybe because I got caught repeatedly without being able to say why (nobody saw me) and therefore I couldn't really pull it off and got tired of reloading for too much aggro. I'm not playing a murder hobo, just a bard with occasionally sticky fingers, and not getting caught is more difficult and less predictable here.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, stealing and pickpocketing in this game can be more fun than in D:OS2 because you can arrange it more safely. First of all, you have the TB mode outside of combat. Also, you have plenty of spells you can use, e.g. darkness. It allows you to stay hidden from everyone around, so you can even steal in crowded areas. Remember the Keeping it together, Brie square in D:OS2? It was impossible to steal there. In BG3, you can do that.

You can use the cat familiar to meow and attract people's attention. You can use the Minor Illusion. The key here is to experiment.

Nothing can be more exciting than stealing the hell out of someone like a Zhent before you attack the whole camp.

As for nobody seeing you - there is the gaming tip in the loading screen that sometimes they hear you, not only see you. So you need to be far away from someone, or they'll hear you stealing their stuff. Again, distraction spells help.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
It seems I lacked creativity and imagination. It didn't occur to me to use spells like Darkness or Illusion or the cat, I only tried to engage people in conversation or lure them away with a bard performance, but my bard also had the highest slight-of-hand.

Also, entering turn-based mode didn't occur to me to try. I guess people who don't think of all that and trample in to snatch something deserve to get caught. Maybe I'll play a barbarian next time.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Well, it's labeled "biggest emotional moments" so I thought it's for the really impactful stuff. Sometimes it's just a decision I took, a funny moment, or a nice picture I liked, not something big. But maybe it's better only to share more relevant things anyway and not just "hey look what happened today", sorry.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Well, it's labeled "biggest emotional moments" so I thought it's for the really impactful stuff. Sometimes it's just a decision I took, a funny moment, or a nice picture I liked, not something big. But maybe it's better only to share more relevant things anyway and not just "hey look what happened today", sorry.
You can really share whatever feels important, funny, goofy or interesting about BG3. You can easily post it here if you ask me, or start a new thread if you feel you'd like to post more frequently. I definitely would like to read your thoughts about my new favourite game ;)

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
You can really share whatever feels important, funny, goofy or interesting about BG3. You can easily post it here if you ask me, or start a new thread if you feel you'd like to post more frequently. I definitely would like to read your thoughts about my new favourite game ;)

Thanks. It's just that I'm excited that my worry about Rivington and losing interest in the game was unfounded, and I'd like to share those "Hey look what happened to me today!" moments, discuss options and decisions, but then it hit me that it's probably insignificant and doesn't matter to other people. Also, spoilers.

But then, nobody is forced to read, react to or comment if it's irrelevant and all. I'm just happy that I enjoy playing again and want to share and discuss the impressions.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Thanks. It's just that I'm excited that my worry about Rivington and losing interest in the game was unfounded, and I'd like to share those "Hey look what happened to me today!" moments, discuss options and decisions, but then it hit me that it's probably insignificant and doesn't matter to other people. Also, spoilers.

But then, nobody is forced to read, react to or comment if it's irrelevant and all. I'm just happy that I enjoy playing again and want to share and discuss the impressions.
Don't worry, I also posted spoilery things. As long as you put a big flashy spoiler alert before, you're good.

And there is nothing wrong of being excited. Hell, I'm playing the game for the second time, and I'm as excited as when playing it the first time. Sometimes insignificant things are those that bring the biggest joy.

For example, exploring the Shadowcursed lands for the second time I started to realised how well-designed the town of Reithwin is, with all those little secret stories, environmental storytelling and peculiar creatures. I think it's one of the best designed locations in BG3 or in any other crpg game I've played. Both from pure visual and FR lore perspective.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Oooh I wish I had thought about multiclassing earlier, it would be funny to roleplay a Bard-barian!
Charms people with music and all that blade flourish but sometimes rages and hits them over the head with a spare lute.

Also, if sharing trivial silliness is OK, once I'm back at the PC I can share a funny encounter between my bard, Gale and the Drow Twins :cool:

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Oooh I wish I had thought about multiclassing earlier, it would be funny to roleplay a Bard-barian!
Charms people with music and all that blade flourish but sometimes rages and hits them over the head with a spare lute.

Also, if sharing trivial silliness is OK, once I'm back at the PC I can share a funny encounter between my bard, Gale and the Drow Twins :cool:
I started to explore multiclassing in my second run, with some success. For example I multiclassed my oathbreaker paladin with warlock (pact of blade), which I am extremely happy. I had to respec it, to drop his Strength and boost other stat. Since the pact weapon uses my primary spellcasting stat (Charisma) instead of Strength, I can dump Strength and boost other other abilities, like Constitution.

I also tried to multiclass Minthara with paladin of vengeance and war cleric combo, but I wasn't happy with a result. I end up turning her into a wizard. It doesn't clash with her story too much so far, so I'm good.

I turned Lae'zel into a Shadow monk and after being a lackluster of a melee combatant the first couple of levels, she really started to shine from level 5 onwards. And now she can stun enemies with her fists, which is awesome.

Astarion was turned to a bard and he is persoftming really nice. Some bard features are really handy.

I kept Gale as it is, cause I don't use him much this time around.

Shadowheart is also mainly benched, but I changed her to a Life cleric, since her default domain is meh. It doesn't fit her thematically, since he stayed Shar devotee, but at least she can heal now.

I also have Jaheira, but I don't care to change her. I won't use her this time.

Wyll and Karlach left when I razed Emerald Grove. And Halsin obviously rot in goblin prison.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Shadowheart is also mainly benched, but I changed her to a Life cleric, since her default domain is meh.

Well, now that I have been explained how to improve stealing, I find it quite useful, but sure, healing is important.

I'm still staying away from multiclassing because the level cap is low anyway, I still have to figure out where it's worth it and where it leaves me gimped.

I hope you have fun with your evil playthrough. I'm curious about different choices and outcomes too, for example I just refused Raphael once more and would like to see where the alternative leads, but I don't know if I have the stomach to side with the cultists and all that.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Well, now that I have been explained how to improve stealing, I find it quite useful, but sure, healing is important.

I'm still staying away from multiclassing because the level cap is low anyway, I still have to figure out where it's worth it and where it leaves me gimped.

I hope you have fun with your evil playthrough. I'm curious about different choices and outcomes too, for example I just refused Raphael once more and would like to see where the alternative leads, but I don't know if I have the stomach to side with the cultists and all that.
I'm actually having a blast. Couple of decisions I've made:

(Act 1 and 2 spoilers ahead!) - don't read if you haven't gone through act 1 and 2.
  • Ritual killing of Alfira, the tiefling bard from Emerald Grove as a part of Durge quest
  • Allying with Minthara and killing druids and tieflings in Emerald Grove. As a result, Wyll and Karlach left the party
  • Killing Isobel as a second part of Durge quest, which resulted in moonshield collapse and the death of everyone incthe Last Light Inn (except Jaheira), including gnomes, Wulbren and Barcus.
  • Persuading Shadowheart to kill Nightsong and embracing the Shar's will
I also plan to ally either with Raphael or Gortash (probably the former) and still undecided if I use the astral tadpole or not. I haven't decided what to do with Gale yet. Or Lae'zel.

But overall, yeah, I'm living it. I wasn't sure if I find myself comfortable playing evil, but I managed to find a good way of balancing between resisting the urge in general, and succumbing to ot in key moments of the game.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Another really cool detail of playing a bard is that if you come to a place and someone is performing a song on an instrument, you can join in. No matter the instrument, if you pick the same song, you will start performing in harmony with the NPC and it sounds really good. Now I'm dreaming of a 4 bards party, each of them with a different instrument, performing with everyone they meet, oh that would be cool. Amd it would even be enough to give one bard level to each of them, so it doesn't need to be a mercenary custom party.
Astarion with a violin, Lae'zel with a war drum, Shadowheart with the Spider's Lute...

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
I stopped playing at entering Wyrm's Rock Fortress for now... I'm still a bit annoyed by how difficult it is to navigate through buildings with several floors and find people (or find the staircase for that matter), but I think I got used to no longer being in the wilderness, and after solving some parts of quests I think I managed to pick up the thread of important matters again. I don't think I'll take another long break, the one I had after leaving Act2 already made me forget stuff that I now needed to remember.
Orin gives me the creeps.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I stopped playing at entering Wyrm's Rock Fortress for now... I'm still a bit annoyed by how difficult it is to navigate through buildings with several floors and find people (or find the staircase for that matter), but I think I got used to no longer being in the wilderness, and after solving some parts of quests I think I managed to pick up the thread of important matters again. I don't think I'll take another long break, the one I had after leaving Act2 already made me forget stuff that I now needed to remember.
Orin gives me the creeps.
I think you'll learn the lay of the land after a while, and at least exploring the city alleys will become easier. Navigating house interiors is indeed a bit awkward with the way the camera currently is working. There are mods to help navigate the camera, but of course I wouldn't recommend it now, when patches are still frequent, due to possible incompatibility.

As for the city itself, I agree with @Antimatter, that there are some of the best and longest quests in BG3.

And yeah, Orin is a creep. Can't wait to kick her shapeshifting ass with my Slayer form. This is going to be epic :cool:

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
I wish all those people who starting from so many years ago were ranting that this game should not be called Baldur's Gate 3 could see what I'm seeing.
I have only started to scratch the surface of Act3, and yet there is already so much, history, so much lore, places in the city, the noble families, lore about Balduran etc.

Sure, the game is not "Bhaalspawn saga 3" but first, there are far more connections to the original games than Minsc, Jaheira and a few books lying around, and second, the city itself with its rich history and lore and everything is so very well done that yes, this is definitely "Baldur's Gate 3" and worthy of the name.

Top Bottom