Movies/series you're looking forward to

O_Bruce

Habitué
I think I'll watch this movie and probably will forget about it later. That's the impression I have, after watching the trailer once again. I am puzzled by its tone, though most people do approve. It is because DnD sessions are often as wacky as this? I really don't know.

About tv shows etc. I can't really say I am looking forward to much nowadays. There are probably more shows I don't want another season to come out - the "Witcher" comest to mind - than the other way around.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
I think I'll watch this movie and probably will forget about it later. That's the impression I have, after watching the trailer once again. I am puzzled by its tone, though most people do approve. It is because DnD sessions are often as wacky as this? I really don't know.

About tv shows etc. I can't really say I am looking forward to much nowadays. There are probably more shows I don't want another season to come out - the "Witcher" comest to mind - than the other way around.
As a 20+ years tabletop player I can say even the most serious and grim campaigns have wacky moments, such as the one where my CN mage blew up an inn because he thought the sailors were trying to rape the elf ranger and had the entire party being hunted by the city guard and later by the royal guard. Quite a complication when ou are trying to save the world...

Last edited:

m7600

Habitué
4ivc7iz8yvf61.jpg

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
This vacation, I watched Our Flag Means Death (not gonna lie, I had re-watched my favourite Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy before). And Oh-My-God! It's beautiful, full of humour, romance, adventure, it's so fresh, and funny, and interesting! The fact they managed to create a well-made series about such a difficult topic nowadays, and stayed creative and managed not to fall into "Let's just make a copy of Pirates of the Caribbean" trap deserves so much praise.

It's just a must-see. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Nimran

Habitué
A big part of the fun in DnD is playing with a group, and it’s practically guaranteed that at least one player will create a ‘jokey’ character. I, for one, always end up playing a joker, even when the character wasn’t originally intended to be that type of character. My sense of humor just keeps finding ways to peek out from under the curtain, so to speak, and before I know it, I’m playing another funny character that makes everyone in the group laugh, including the DM.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
A big part of the fun in DnD is playing with a group, and it’s practically guaranteed that at least one player will create a ‘jokey’ character. I, for one, always end up playing a joker, even when the character wasn’t originally intended to be that type of character. My sense of humor just keeps finding ways to peek out from under the curtain, so to speak, and before I know it, I’m playing another funny character that makes everyone in the group laugh, including the DM.
Don't forget the mandatory overpower, destroyer of worlds character :)

m7600

Habitué
Well, I just saw Blair Witch 3. It was quite good, honestly. Definitely not a masterpiece like the first one, but not terrible like the second one either. And while it wasn't exactly frightening, it did have a few scary moments.

I think that the main problem that this film has is that it lacks subtlety. It could have been a lot scarier if some of the special effects were less noticeable.

m7600

Habitué
Just a thread for taking about movies.

I'd like to start by mentioning Bright, from 2017. Has anyone seen it? It got terrible reviews from critics, and I can understand why. The execution is a bit underwhelming. But, I find it conceptually intriguing. The genre is urban fantasy. In other words, humans, elves, orcs, etc. living in a modern city.

Here's the trailer

I'd love to know your thoughts on Bright, as well as hearing what other movies you'd recommend.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to raise this thread to life because maybe we can talk about all movies here, not only those that haven't been released yet. Thanks to this long weekend, I managed to spend time and watch a few movies that I had had my eyes on for quite some time.

This is one of the best movies I've ever watched (yeah, very big praise): Her. It's a movie about dating an AI. A concept not new, but realized so masterfully. I really, really, really recommend it (18+ though). Joaquin Phoenix is great here. Expect to be emotionally affected. Lots of topics: love, loneliness, relationship, responsibility, happiness. Also, extremely relevant with all the progress in the AI development lately.

m7600

Habitué
I had completely forgotten about this thread, lol. That's why I started a movies thread recently, but I should have continued posting in this one instead.

Her is of those movies that I didn't watch but everyone keeps recommending it to me, I will definitely watch it soon.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I merged 2 threads now, @m7600. And I overlooked you started a new one, sorry. But let's keep the old thread as the main.

I watched Star Trek: Discovery season 1 and I loved it. I'm probably in the minority, but this is the best Star Trek experience I've had. Too bad season 2 was much worse and I dropped it during the 3rd episode. Having the wish to see more sci-fi, I decided to give The Ark a chance (it's an ongoing show, still in season 1). Not as good as Star Trek: Discovery, but still fun.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
BG3 had probably exceeded my expectations as a game, and now One Piece the TV series for Netflix did the same as a show. I can mention the performances, story, visual effects, and quite close faithfulness towards the characters and events from the source material. If someone told me a few months ago "You'd appreciate the live-action One Piece", I'd doubt that almost as much as if someone said that a turn-based cRPG would appeal to the general audience.

I'll be definitely looking forward to their second season.

Hahaha you are crazy man

BG3 had probably exceeded my expectations as a game, and now
When reading this, I had an impression "and now Netflix is creating a BG3 movie". :D Sorry, I don't love BG3 so I am biased against it. I think it's a worse game than the reception it receives, but their promotion budget is infinite. I wouldn't be surprised if a bigger franchise and a movie was among the plans too.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, it would be totally dope (for me) if there was a BG3 movie with BG3 actors.

It's alright not to like BG3 though, absolutely no problem with that. Impossible to please 100% of people.

One thing I need to clarify: their promotion budget was finite actually. Their marketing team was as small as ~10 people maximum. They self-published the game and had to pay for the BG license.

Top Bottom