The Steam Awards 2023 - Your nominations

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
It's that time of the year! The time to celebrate games we've all enjoyed.

Just as in 2022 (our 2022 thread), Steam allows every user to nominate games you've played (but actually playing the nominated game is not a hard requirement) for 100%-community-driven awards. Take note that the majority of nominations are only for games released in 2023.

Share your nominations. I'll start.

Nomnations1.png

Nomnations2.png

Nomnations3.png

My choices for the Game of the Year and Outstanding Story-Rich Game awards should not be surprises for you. Baldur's Gate 3 should claim them this year, especially since Alan Wake 2, Zelda, and Spider-Man 2 haven't been released on Steam.

BG3 and Stray Gods were tied for the Best Soundtrack award, I picked Stray Gods ofc. Not every year we get a musical, but a game.

The Labor of Love award should go to CDPR in my opinion. I wanted to nominate Cyberpunk 2077, but for some reason Steam didn't allow that, instead offering to nominate The Witcher 3, which received an amazing update this year. I had fun coming back to Velen.

The Better with Friends award was a difficult choice, but I went for Diablo 4 because I can imagine playing this game with a friend for a long time, just as I did in Diablo 2. Too bad the game is very expensive, even with a sale, and doesn't provide a free copy for a friend.

The Outstanding Visual Style award was probably an even more difficult choice for me. Cocoon has amazing visuals, the art style is distinct and memorable. But I can't pass up nominating Hogwarts Legacy. It's just marvelous how close artists and designers of Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and the Forbidden Forest stayed to the original books and movies. Due to obvious political reasons, the game wasn't chosen as an option for The Game Awards, even for its art, but on Steam it has a better chance of being nominated.

However, I couldn't just leave Cocoon without any nomination, that's why it's here for The Most Innovative Gameplay.

I picked Dwarf Fortress for The Best Game I Suck at award, simply because I usually suck at playing it. And it's great to support old-school indie devs. I couldn't pick the Upveaval by @Alex Leone as the game hasn't been released yet.

And for the Sit Back and Relax award, I had so many choices. Turned out, for the majority of this year, I played either BG3 or cozy games. Roots of Pacha was a strong consideration. But I voted for Let's School.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Here are my nominations:

Game of the Year Award: Baldur's Gate 3 (the GoTY is only one)
VR Game of the Year Award: N/A
Labor of Love Award: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (I'd pick CP2077, if that would be possible. Why it isn't, though?)
Best Game on Steam Deck Award: N/A
Better with Friends Award: Baldur's Gate 3 (I don't really play with friends, but I imagine BG3 would be epic fun in group)
Outstanding Visual Style Award: Hogwarts Legacy (close tight with BG3, but I wanted to highlight HL, because they were largely ignored by the main awards this year)
Most Innovative Gameplay Award: Stray Gods (I haven't played particularly gameplay innovative games this year, but we didn't have a musical rpg before, that's innovative)
Best Game You Suck At: Street Fighter 6 (I know I would suck at SF6 and also know I would love it)
Best Soundtrack Award: Stray Gods (sorry Bobby, that was tight!)
Outstanding Story-Rich Game Award: Baldur's Gate 3 (there was no other choice)
Sit Back and Relax Award: Stray Gods (I can literally close my eyes and breathe with Stray Gods' music. Can't imagine anything more relaxing than that.)

Urdnot_Wrex

Innkeeper
Staff member
Game of the Year - Baldur's Gate 3

Best Soundtrack - Stray Gods

for the rest of the categories I have very little options to choose from, not sure if I'm going to vote there at all.

Urdnot_Wrex

Innkeeper
Staff member
To clarify: Do you mean having played the game is not a hard requirement, or owning it? Because it simply didn't occur to me to check beyond the suggested games that I have played.

VR, Better with friends, and Steam Deck are out either way because no idea.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
In each category, you can:
Pick from the games you own
Search for a specific eligible game by entering its title
Nominate Popular and Recommended Games
Look at developers making their case and search for the title again

So no, you don't need to own or play the games.

Top Bottom