What game are you currently playing?

Urdnot_Wrex

Innkeeper
Staff member
The only small negative points about StrayGods so far:

The subtitles being at the top of the screen instead of the bottom is very distracting.

Due to the slides style of the graphics, each character has very few repeating facial expressions, which gets a bit old after a while, but of course the outstanding voice acting makes more than up for it.

I definitely have to play this game several times to see more options because several times there's quite a discrepancy between which dialogue choices I'd pick for roleplaying reasons and which of them lead to the music styles I like more.

Speaking about music, there's not as much as I expected. For now it seems we have heard the best parts during the demos and their show already. But then, I haven't progressed that far yet and can only judge that appropriately after finishing the game.

Favorite characters so far: Definitely Persephone and Pan. Although Apollo is a bro and the lighthouse song with him was quite touching.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Hey there, hi there, everyone! Good to see you again. I hope everyone is well.

I ended up spending more time with Street Fighter 6 than expected. About a month ago I reached the Diamond level with my preferred character, Lily.
ca0u9ysenawb1.jpeg

I also founded a little Subreddit for the character, r/SF6LilyNation.

My time in Capcom-land has been a hoot, but I've been feeling the call of my home genre, RPGs. I'm currently using the platform I purchased for Street Fighter to replay the Mass Effect Trilogy.

It'll come as no surprise that I'm getting curious about Mass Effect no reload play. Has anyone here no reloaded the Mass Effect Trilogy? Was it challenging? How much experience did you have before you succeeded? Thanks!

Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Salute to reaching the Diamond level. That's what I said back then - the ranked system always makes sure you get to the actual level you have. Turned out, your level is Diamond, not Gold (or whatever it was back then). You kept pushing and getting better! Kudos!

I don't remember seeing a lot of no-reload content for Mass Effect, even on old BioWare boards tbh. Would be interesting to see ofc!

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Good to hear from you, Antimatter :)

No reloading the Mass Effect trilogy may be tricky. I'm not sure. I'm still a noob, so I can't say. The core mechanics seem tractable, but there are a lot of quirky, timer related encounters, not to mention the chase scenes.

I've done 1. That's straightforward. IIRC I did 3 back in the day. I feel like 2 is doable for me, especially if I skip the hammerhead missions. I don't really have a read on how many trials I'd need to get the trilogy right, though. I may be over estimating the difficulty. I may be underestimating it. No clue. I'd love to hear from someone who's done it.

Last edited:

Urdnot_Wrex

Innkeeper
Staff member
Haha yeah you'd have to be a really sick masochist to try to no-reload the Hammerhead missions.

The thing with the Mass Effect trilogy is that you can only unlock higher difficulty settings if you have finished the game at least once, but there's also some insanely OP DLC weapons and armor in 2 and 3 that are not locked behind difficult quests but simply high prices, or in some cases even given to you right away.
I think they changed that in Legendary Edition? (I which I haven't reached 2 yet so can't say for sure)

And then there's the fact that you can take your leveled character after finishing the game and start a new run with it. So the game doesn't exactly have a natural power/difficulty progression.

Anyway it would be cool to hear about it, especially with screenshots!
There are Krogans after all!

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
Until You Fall for sword combat in VR, and Onward for FPS in VR.

When I can finally afford a new PC, I want to do Fallout 4 in VR again. It was one of the best gaming experiences i've done, and I can't even play vanilla F4 for it being too tedious. But VR fundamentally changes the gameplay of FPS games into something I like a lot more.

And the insects are genuinely creepy when you have a good graphics set up. My lord, those bloatflies.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
Until You Fall for sword combat in VR, and Onward for FPS in VR.

When I can finally afford a new PC, I want to do Fallout 4 in VR again. It was one of the best gaming experiences i've done, and I can't even play vanilla F4 for it being too tedious. But VR fundamentally changes the gameplay of FPS games into something I like a lot more.

And the insects are genuinely creepy when you have a good graphics set up. My lord, those bloatflies.
If I found a cockroach about the size of my arm in my house, I'd go for a shotgun... or a flamethrower if I just happened to have one...

Urdnot_Wrex

Innkeeper
Staff member
If I found a cockroach about the size of my arm in my house, I'd go for a shotgun... or a flamethrower if I just happened to have one...

The problem with that is the furniture behind the cockroach will be gone as well, possibly the wall too.

VR sounds interesting indeed, maybe I'll see if I can try somewhere at Gamescom next year. Not for my day-to-day use certainly, but I'm curious how the immersion is.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
The problem with that is the furniture behind the cockroach will be gone as well, possibly the wall too.

VR sounds interesting indeed, maybe I'll see if I can try somewhere at Gamescom next year. Not for my day-to-day use certainly, but I'm curious how the immersion is.
Who needs furniture? Or walls?

🪳
giphy.gif

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Hammerhead missions will be a challenge. Many situations with 1 hit kills...
Not to worry. I'm never touching Space Pinto again.

When I overheard the Mako vs Hammerhead debate in the cargo hold, I just shook my head. Mako for days. Hammerhead anywhere is the real suicide mission.

(Speaking of the Mako, if we at TavernRPG ever find ourselves in a soap box derby, we should totally build a M35 Mako. Can we agree on this?)

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
The thing with the Mass Effect trilogy is that you can only unlock higher difficulty settings if you have finished the game at least once, but there's also some insanely OP DLC weapons and armor in 2 and 3 that are not locked behind difficult quests but simply high prices, or in some cases even given to you right away.
I think they changed that in Legendary Edition?
Putting OP weapons in DLC wasn't BioWare's finest hour. I think the thing to do is skip those.

The Typhoon is a pass for me. The Supressor, too, once the mission it was designed for is finished.

What else is problematic?

Last edited:

Urdnot_Wrex

Innkeeper
Staff member
Putting OP weapons in DLC wasn't BioWare's finest hour. I think the thing to do is skip those items.

The Typhoon is a pass for me. The Supressor, too, once the mission it was designed for is finished.

What else is problematic?

I think you've named the most important ones. I wish I had known about DLC weapons the first time I played, as I was using the Typhoon without knowing, and kinda feel that I cheesed my way through. Although the main point at that time for me was the great story and companions anyway, not the challenge, but still.

I'd say the Arc Projector is pretty exaggerated too but opinions may differ here, several people say the same goes for the Locust from Kasumi's mission but that's only second-hand knowledge as I never had a thing for submachine guns.

IIRC @Xzarloxara was very fond of the Cain I think, which apparently is some kind of super nuke, I can't give an opinion on that one though.

One thing to consider is, as I said above, the difficulty. If you have finished the trilogy, unlocked and decided to play Insanity, those weapons are probably the only way to go? It is possible they were added precisely for that.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
One thing to consider is, as I said above, the difficulty. If you have finished the trilogy, unlocked and decided to play Insanity, those weapons are probably the only way to go? It is possible they were added precisely for that.
I haven't tried the higher difficulty settings yet. I've been playing on Veteran.

My tendency is to angle for the highest difficulty setting that isn't gimmicky. So, in Baldur's Gate EE, for example, that means Insane sans double damage, rather than LoB.

In the Mass Effect world I'm thinking Hardcore is the best choice? Not sure.

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Alora Shepard is ready to go, on Hardcore.
8c4fa5d7-e05b-4030-b92f-44de5c80a2eb.png

She’s a colonist who grew up in low G, which is why she’s so tall and lanky. It’s weird for her, too, although she doesn’t understand why.

She’s an Infiltrator, with specialization in shotguns. She’s locked and loaded, ready to teach these Reapers how to be happy.

I’ll set up a thread for her if people would like to follow her adventure.
Mako.jpg

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
IIRC @Xzarloxara was very fond of the Cain I think, which apparently is some kind of super nuke, I can't give an opinion on that one though.
The Cain is my first choice for style points on shore leave. There's nothing quite like rolling up to a bar with a nuke launcher on your back.

That said, the Cain has some serious usability issues in combat. It's basically a one shot weapon with a long charge cycle. It leaves you visible, out of cover, for ages. Here's a vid of the Cain in action. Note that in this case, facing melee enemies stuck on a platform, it worked well. If those enemies were firing ranged weapons it would have been a different story.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Finding myself in BG3 confronted with a difficult decision: Which of the remaining two big bad boss guys do I try to kill first? :)
I still haven't tried BG3. I figured I'd wait a few months, let the early patches settle in. The August release seemed tailored to get any kinks worked out by Christmas.

Are all systems go now? Is it a good time for a patient player to buy?

NW: And to be clear, I didn't have any reason to think that BG3 would be buggy on release. This is just me being me. I didn't watch LoTR: 1 or 2 until after 3 was released, because I wanted to see them all in one session. I'm just oddly patient with this stuff, willing to wait until I get the experience I desire.

Last edited:

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I still haven't tried BG3. I figured I'd wait a few months, let the early patches settle in. The August release seemed tailored to get any kinks worked out by Christmas.

Are all systems go now? Is it a good time for a patient player to buy?

NW: And to be clear, I didn't have any reason to think that BG3 would be buggy on release. This is just me being me. I didn't watch LoTR: 1 or 2 until after 3 was released, because I wanted to see them all in one session. I'm just oddly patient with this stuff, willing to wait until I get the experience I desire.
I think it's just the perfect time to buy it. Big patch 5 just rolled out, with a lot of new content (new epilogues) and two new difficulty modes (Honour mode and Custom mode), something that might be particularly interesting to a no-reloaders, like you. This patch also came with a significant performance boost, courtesy of XBox version that should be released in December.

That said, Larian is so awesome there is no guarantee they have not cooking anything else major for the upcoming months, but our guess is that what will come next will be mostly hotfixes for any remaining bugs. But my personal experience is astonishingly good, also from a performance point of view. I run into just one serious bug for the entire game, which is amazing for game this big and complex.

Now, Larian has a history of releasing Definitive Editions, somewhere around year or two after release, usually with some good amount of updates, but with all those additions from patch 5, we are thinking that this may not be a case for BG3. But it's always a possibility, given the game's enormously good reception.

Now, to summarize. It's a perfect time to buy BG3. If you're really worried about buginess, you can wait a couple of weeks for some imminent patch 5 hotfixes, as Larian happen to introduced regression bugs from thine to time, while introducing new features, but overall, yeah, go grab it, if you plan to play it. It's an amazing game, that especially with Honour mode may be a challenge to you.

Top Bottom