AI Art

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
That's a lovely poem, Alice, but it's terrible advice, lol.
Not necessarily. Again, there comes a point when you need to ask what the meaning of life is. For some, acceptance and acquiescence may be the wise path. For others, fighting may be the way. In the end, we don't know what the ultimate meaning of existence is, but even if meaning merely a product of our invention, it still matters.

Also, there is the possibility that your thesis isn't inevitable. You are obviously brilliant - and indeed you may be right - but the universe, and life within it, is so complex that there are almost always variables we don't see.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Not necessarily. Again, there comes a point when you need to ask what the meaning of life is. For some, acceptance and acquiescence may be the wise path. For others, fighting may be the way. In the end, we don't know what the ultimate meaning of existence is, but even if meaning merely a product of our invention, it still matters.
Agreed. As the poet Gary Snyder said, resistance in the face of the inevitable is a matter of character and style. Acquiescence suits some. Buddha-mind opposition suits others. Rage suits others still.

I was over-simplifying for stylistic purposes, as Dylan Thomas was in his piece. But, yes, there is a multitude of suitable responses. Laughter and wisdom is the right choice for me, but it isn't for everyone. Life's diversity is a beautiful thing and it should be celebrated here, too.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Also, there is the possibility that your thesis isn't inevitable. You are obviously brilliant - and indeed you may be right - but the universe, and life within it, is so complex that there are almost always variables we don't see.

Absolutely! If you look back at history even the greatest thinkers make fools of themselves when they attempt to predict the future. My take is my take, nothing more.

While we're sharing poems, here's a different view on what could be.

All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace

I like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
past computers
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal
brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.

-Richard Brautigin, 1967

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
OIG.MS1ZBU88sQ9wM.jpeg

I just asked Bing AI to create a picture about derailing a thread :)

shmity72

Habitué
I know what the answer is.

At ihop there was a poster of a monkey. it read: as soon as i knew all the answers they changed all the questions.

The answer as person alluded to was that we are in a transitionary time with ai if you look at the above instant art of derailing. you notice...

it's one thing above all else.

poignant.

humans generally are not.

and this is where we synergize with tech. the time is now.

To understand that the answer is accepting human/technology union.

not like some star trek cyborg punk bs...

recognize the differences. celebrate our success together.

shmity72

Habitué
I know what the answer is.

At ihop there was a poster of a monkey. it read: as soon as i knew all the answers they changed all the questions.

The answer as person alluded to was that we are in a transitionary time with ai if you look at the above instant art of derailing. you notice...

it's one thing above all else.

poignant.

humans generally are not.

and this is where we synergize with tech. the time is now.

To understand that the answer is accepting human/technology union.

not like some star trek cyborg punk bs...

recognize the differences. celebrate our success together.
Poignant is an adjective which is used to describe something that can affect your emotions strongly or sharply. Though ,it generally has a negative connotation, it can also be used with a positive connotation. robots don't use dull blades....

poignant to expound ai is simply put IF THEN architecture therefore: it cannot be not poignant. People are emotional animals...they sure as hell can be not poignant and to a degree that is what is necessary...so no...the machines ain't taken over :)

Considering the adjectives to describe AI art:
Uncompromising.

another word like poignant is 'uncompromising'. ai art is poignant because ai is uncompromising...2 plus 2 always equals four is Newtonian math. ai is one and zero, 'Newtonian'. this is not metaphysical (one of the other things the universe is made up of re: hopes and dreams).
It may be concluded therefore that ai 'good Newtonian science' and humans have a lot of promise to work in conjunction.

I know...heavy subject but I likes to think about stuffs.

I've discovered that AI may simulate the construction of poetry like Shakespeare or Kipling.. but will it ever be able to give a subjective evaluation of the scent of a rose?

When asking chatgp whether AI could subjectively describe the scent of a rose it responded:

However, it's worth mentioning that advancements in AI and related fields could potentially lead to new approaches for scent analysis and interpretation. Researchers may develop technologies that can simulate or approximate human scent perception by combining data from various sources, such as chemical analysis, machine learning, and human feedback. Nonetheless, achieving a truly subjective evaluation of the scent of a rose or any other fragrance remains a significant scientific and technological challenge.

In that vein when asking chatgp 'can ai be metaphysical:

In summary, AI, as it currently exists, is not metaphysical in nature. It is a practical technology focused on problem-solving and data analysis, lacking the philosophical aspects associated with metaphysics and consciousness.

CONCLUSSION:

so there you have it: If ai ever does become conscious it will basically be a new unique life form on this planet. yay, what's the big deal Darwin?

personally? I wouldn't mind living next door to a new species of consciousness and if it were ai? They'd probably find more value in factual things like documentaries on the geopolitics of national superpowers rather than fictional episodes of south park on tic toc. Would that be so bad? :)

Last edited:

O_Bruce

Habitué
Shad Brooks. For the majority of the people known as Shadiversity aka. the YouTube sword guy did a rather large upsie recently-ish both on Twitter/X and on his main Youtube channel. The upsie is related to Ai-generated products

Where he is showing his ai-generation process and pretends to be artist, and two X posts. First relates to the video and it has roughly the same problems:

The second is a response to a backlash:

Aside from being objectively wrong on many of his claims - those were refuted in the past by response videos to his claims at several occasions - he pretty much lashes on his former fans, calling them a mob and getting all defensive. Instead, for instance, focusing on some self-reflection. He also created video today on his alternative echo-chamber channel - KNIGHTS WATCH - where he addresses the controversy. Due to it being created day after backlash, I doubt it would contain any refined thoughts.

Why I am saying this? Because people like Shad Brooks are a good example of why AI-generated images shouldn't be considered art and why people who direct AI to do stuff shouldn't be called artists. In Shad's instance, he openly admits that he doesn't like the drawing. He just wants to see results. He wants the credit of being an artist without the discipline, effort and time it requires. His time he spend on his newest product/image, he claims is 2,5 hours which is really cute.

I don't know what's so difficult for people like him to openly admit they are coders. Or "prompters". Or maybe "AI directors". Why the need to claim themselves to be artists when they have no necessary, experience, experise and even character to be one. They would be more respectable homo sapiens sapiens had they just admitted the truth.

But enough about shad, I was meant to share this video somewhat earlier, but AI related stuff just happened to add up:

It does not sound optimistic at all. But that's just how life is.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
I would agree with you on that, @O_Bruce, thanks for sharing.

On a side note, here is one of those cases when using the AI is done absolutely correctly:
Unfortunately, these cases will be the exception, not the rule. The main reason corporate entities are drooling over AI is the prospect of not having to pay wages.

And when it comes to using AI for civil administration (dispatch, managing city infrastructure, etc.) it will be to abdicate responsibility. But this is drifting away from the subject of art. And AI art stinks!

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Top Bottom