Free games (a thread to monitor & get currently free games)

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Nice image, immediately makes me want to be on that boat, feel the sun and wind on my face, hear the waves and smell the salt.

Punishing combat, getting stunlocked and ragdolled across an island doesn't really fit that mood, though.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Some time ago, I've mentioned how good It Takes Two is. @O_Bruce agreed with that comment and later privately messaged me he had discovered that game with his partner and they were totally fond of the game. He also recommended me a game called Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons as also created by Josef Fares. I knew nothing about the game and just "updated my journal" to keep an eye for an opportunity to grab and try it.

This week's free game from the EGS is Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons. " Guide two brothers on an epic fairy tale journey from visionary Swedish film director, Josef Fares and top-tier developer Starbreeze Studios. Control both brothers at once as you experience co-op play in single player mode, like never before. Solve puzzles, explore the varied locations and fight boss battles, controlling one brother with each thumbstick."

In 2013, both IGN and PC Gamer stated Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons was one of the best games of that year. IGN stated this with "it's no secret that we love Journey. It was our Game of the Year for 2012, after all. And we quite love Fable too [...]. So to combine the two into one cinematic, story-driven experience – one written and directed by a decorated Swedish filmmaker – meant our interest was piqued. And after we saw the game, we knew: this is going to be good. Really, really good". PC Gamer said "this could easily shape up to be one of the indie darlings of 2013".

The game won the Best Game Innovation Award at 2014's British Academy Games Awards (BAFTA).

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
1. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey will be free to play from Dec 16 to Dec 20 on Ubisoft Connect.

While even 5 days are not enough to complete this game, it's still a kind gesture on their part. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is a 3rd-person action RPG set in Ancient Greece and has one of the best-looking worlds I have explored. If you want to have a 5-day vacation in sunny Greece and enjoy all the mythology (and dialogues with Socrates of course!), I can't recommend the game enough. It also has one of the best female protagonists I've played!

Your progress during the "free weekend" can be saved if you then purchase the game (and knowing Ubisoft, it'll be hugely discounted, eg. 80% off).
And here we go, now the next game in that series also has a free weekend:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Thea 2: The Shattering (a follow-up to Thea: The Awakening) which brings the idea of innovative genre hybrid, with elements of turn-based, 4X strategy, survival, RPG and a card game, to "a new level", is currently free on GOG.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
The Elder Scrolls Online and Morrowind DLC are free to play until 26th April. That's still 9 days and probably good to get a solid first impression (for people who happen to have enough time right now).
Apparently it's because of a new expansion that will be released in June.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/el...-play-and-heavily-discounted-until-april-26th

I'd certainly be curious, with my recent really good experiences in Skyrim (yes, I'm new to that world). Unfortunately I have a 60 hours week ahead of me, so probably not, but I wanted to pass on the information.

The free trial is available both on Steam and on Xbox.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Postal 2 (a 2003 first-person shooter developed by Running with Scissors) is free on GOG for the next 48 hours. Set in the fictional town of Paradise, Postal 2 follows the life of "The Postal Dude", who must carry out mundane tasks throughout an in-game week, with the player deciding how violently or passively he will react to various situations. The player navigates the open world to carry out his chores, with player choice having an effect on the setting.

Amnesia: Rebirth (a first-person horror adventure) is free on the EGS. It's a 2020 survival horror video game developed and published by Frictional Games. The player assumes control of Tasi Trianon, who must wander through desert caves and ancient tombs in order to find the whereabouts of her companions. The game is dimly lit, and players must use light sources, such as Tasi's own fuel lamp, to see clearly and find ways to progress. Players can also scavenge matches, which can be used to light up mounted torches and candles. Players also need to solve various puzzles to progress in the game, and read the notes left by non-playable characters to know more about the story.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
3 games are free on the EGS today:

Prey, Redout, and Jotun.

Arkane’s fantastic sci-fi immersive sim - Prey - is a well-known game. It's a good choice, go pick the game up!

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
My favourite shooter out there. A game with amazingly written characters, lots of dark humour, and very, very sweet & satisfying gameplay.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is available for free on the EGS. Get it, and then buy the sequel, which is even a better game.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Ohhhh! Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is currently free on the EGS. It's an indie cult-classic created by Spiderweb Software, a studio founded in 1994 by Jeff Vogel. Since then, he has written many fantasy RPGs, including the Exile, Geneforge, Avadon, and Avernum series and Nethergate: Resurrection.

When the remaster was released, I wanted to get it-- because I hadn't played the classic game back in the '90s. Maybe our Tavern patrons @m7600, @Chronicler and other old-school fans would be interested (and even post about their playthroughs here). ;)

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Top Bottom