Industry News / Upcoming Games

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
A very interesting debate, I hope more people will chime in!

My view on the matter is that there are a few reasons for the latest "tension":

1) Ubisoft designers commenting on the Elden Ring UI
2) a worldwide success of Elden Ring
3) the fact that Horizon: Forbidden West was released just one week before Elden Ring
4) quite a few games released by Ubisoft in the last few years which share the same design philosophy
5) not many open-world games released by other companies in the last few years

Thinking about it, Skyrim (released in 2011!) handled exploration and map markers (and even the actual map) much closer to Elden Ring. It's just that the last SP game by Bethesda is old now (Fallout 4) and everyone remembers the more recent experience.

This makes me incredibly excited regarding Starfield and its take on an open world. How will they do it? What modern tendencies will they account for?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
You know, that video reminded me of the real UI from EVE Online (the below image is a "typical screen of the EVE user interface while docked at a station")...

A-typical-screen-of-the-EVE-user-interface-while-docked-at-a-station.png

Now, that's what one could call crowded and probably being a bit difficult to comprehend.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
The next big thing is Ghostwire: Tokyo (releases on March, 25).

I'm actually excited for this game. It's a first-person sandbox-style action-adventure game set in Tokyo (with stealth elements). Tokyo mirrors the real city, so since I have no option of going there in the nearest future, it would be very cool to watch the city at least in the game. Another aspect I'm super excited about is how magic casting looks in this game.

And the third aspect I'm very much looking forward to is Tokyo's verticality. There are a lot of buildings and high-rises, so there's another dimension to the game other than just a horizontal area. Imagine how many discoveries can be hidden there...

You can probably find gameplay videos (they are long), but here is a short one with both gameplay and cutscenes. Looks absolutely magical. To me, it reminds bits from Dishonored and Bioshock games.

And of course, I just can't help but love everything related to Japan, Japanese mythology and secrets.

Ghostwire: Tokyo's producer is Shinji Mikami (Tango Gameworks). He's a very well-known game producer and designer, who got a “godfather of horror games” title when he directed the first Resident Evil.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Another big game releasing this week is Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands. A looter shooter RPG.

It sits at a solid 80 score on Metacritic.

"Wonderlands features the same titular bomb-obssessed teenager playing as a D&D-style dungeon master guiding players through surrealist shootouts filled with shiny guns, big swords, and wacky, ocassionally off-putting banter."

Has anyone here played Borderlands games? What do you think about Tiny Tina?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. Vampire The Masquarade: Swansong seems to be an RPG! Exciting!

FYI, this game is not the (now) infamous Bloodlines 2. Swansong was announced back in May 2019, was scheduled for release in 2021, but got pushed back to Feb and then May 2022 as a result of COVID.

Chronicler

Habitué
E3 from what I understand has shifted a lot in its role over the years.

It went from being an industry convention to having a progressively larger fan/consumer presence, to the point that it was actually a bit of a struggle for professionals and investors and such to find space within it to do their thing.

It would make sense to me then that the two functions might split off from eachother past a certain point. The people in the industry will scoot off to their own little corner again to talk brass taxes and leave us to have our fun at some gathering more specifically tailored to the fan.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'll quote an article by Kotaku (which I agree with) regarding this subject.

"In the short term at least, the answer to what happens to E3 now is “Geoff Keighley’s Summer Game Fest.” Keighley created Summer Game Fest, his own annual showcase, in light of E3 2020’s cancellation and his departure as a host. Now, it threatens to subsume E3 altogether. Originally planned as a months-long online festival spotlighting devs of all sizes, Summer Game Fest has shifted focus. Its 2021 showcase had more in common with Keighley’s year-end show, The Game Awards, a lengthy and almost uninterrupted firehose of world premiere trailers for upcoming games. It will now, functionally at least, replace E3 2022.

In spirit, Summer Game Fest is the future that the modern version of E3 was barreling towards. It’s hours of advertising and hype, delivered at fire-hose pressure, with Keighley stepping in periodically to spruik a sponsor that also has a game on the way. The crucial part for marketers is that Keighley’s model obliterates any need for press access and goes directly to the audience. This is the same thinking that saw Nintendo convert its E3 press conference into a Direct broadcast. It’s the same thinking that led to publishers like PlayStation and Electronic Arts departing E3 entirely. They don’t need E3, they just need to reach the people who will buy their games, and Keighley’s take goes down the smoothest."

It's also useful to look at this piece by IGN from 2020:

"The second is to follow Nintendo’s lead, and take those announcements in-house and online. The Direct model has been successful enough for the world’s biggest console manufacturer to adopt it, and Sony’s State of Play has been joined by the likes of Xbox, Devolver, and Blizzard, who have all taken digital announcement events in their own directions. It feels likely that some of E3’s major players will now attempt to create their own schedule, with the benefit of making big announcements entirely on their own terms, and with less possibility of being drowned out by someone else’s mega-news arriving on the same day."

"What’s truly interesting is what happens if those approaches prove successful, and perhaps more successful – at least in potential savings – than a traditional E3 announcement. E3 might have been seen as something like an industry safety blanket for some time – companies announce there just because. Removing that marketing beat from the equation might push publishers to reconsider strategies and their traditional reliance on E3 -- a lot of companies may be about to realise that it’s simply better for them to handle their announcements in a different, more personalised way."

Here is also a good recent article from DenOfGeek:

"IGN is reporting that their sources claim that discussions revolving around E3 have been “fraught throughout the year,” and that even though the company tossed around the idea of a “possible digital equivalent,” those pitches lacked “strong momentum.” As outlets such as GamesRadar and GameSpot have pointed out, big game publishers don’t really need or even use the expo anymore. Nintendo has seen a ton of success thanks to its Nintendo Direct videos, which debuted in 2013, and Sony followed suit with similar PlayStation State of Play segments. Even EA joined the E3-less party in 2016 with its EA Play Live videos.

According to GamesRadar, those digital presentations are much more developer-friendly as they help ensure that studios no longer have to hastily cobble together demos for the E3 show floor. Nintendo Direct and PlayStation State of Play events can showcase the kind of big trailers that were previously limited to E3 whenever they want, and studios can now release demos digitally more or less on their own schedules. Furthermore, reports have long suggested that renting any space on E3’s show floor is prohibitively expensive. Why would companies spend tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars reserving space at a convention to release a trailer when they can now just post videos on their own dedicated YouTube channels and Twitter pages for pennies on the dollar?

Put it all together, and you’ll find that the increasingly popular consensus is that E3 is obsolete. More and more companies have skipped the expo in favor of their own proprietary presentations, and others might have already found a replacement in the form of Geoff Keighley’s Summer Game Fest event (which is still scheduled to take place in 2022). While this is mere speculation, many outlets and gamers theorize that E3 2022’s cancellation can easily be seen as the convention’s potential death knell. After all, it’s one thing to cancel the physical event given all the outside factors in play, but the decision to cancel a potential digital E3 2022 event and cede the floor to competing programs feels telling."

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I guess this depends on each developer and their game. IIRC, Swen Vincke used to say he preferred hands-on sessions with a demo of a game that is being developed for fans and media instead of online interaction on the forum.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
I really miss the old times when most games had demos and allowed us to at least discover if we would like the full thing or not. I think Game Pass and other subscription services like it help a little allowing you to play a game before you buy it.

Chronicler

Habitué
I don't know if Undertale would've become what it became if it didn't have that demo for its kickstarter. Being able to tell the audience the premise is one thing but seeing it in action, feeling it in your hands, that's another thing entirely.

Chronicler

Habitué

Beamdog announced their next game today. Mythforce, a rogue-lite! Weirdly I think a rogue-lite is the kind of game I would've gotten most excited about from them. I feel like they'd do a good rogue-lite for reasons I can't quite articulate.

It's inspired by 80's fantasy cartoons, which was before my time, but I can't imagine it's gonna require you know all the thundercats deep lore to enjoy it.

Chronicler

Habitué
Truth be told I haven't played a whole lot of rogue-lites, so I don't have an in depth understanding of the genre.

I like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and The Binding of Isaac a lot though.

I agree you have to be in the right headspace for it. A lot of games are built around scratching some internal itch you have for "progress". MMO's especially are known for being a sort of perpetual treadmill where you can always be moving towards a new goalpost, where these games don't scratch that itch at all, so it can feel a bit more like an idle pass time than other games, even though that's kind of what they all are.

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
Could someone clarify for me the definition of "rougelite"? Doesn't that mean the game is constructed of a series of puzzle-like combats that will kill you again and again until you figure out the "trick" to get past that one and go to the next one?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video game characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.

More recently, with more powerful home computers and gaming systems, several new games include elements of the roguelike genre while incorporating other gameplay genres, thematic elements and graphical styles as well. Such games typically retain a roguelike's notion of procedural generation and permanent death of the player-character but do not include all the high-value factors of the Berlin Interpretation. These games are frequently labeled as "roguelike", but also are referred to as "roguelike-like", "rogue-lite", or "procedural death labyrinths" to distinguish them from the more traditional roguelikes.

Because of the expansion of numerous variations on the roguelike theme, the gameplay elements characterizing the roguelike genre were explicitly defined at the International Roguelike Development Conference 2008 held in Berlin, Germany; these factors encompass what is known as the "Berlin Interpretation".

Here are the "high-value" points that a game should have to be called a roguelike by the Berlin Interpretation:

1. Turn-based action.
2. Tile-based movement.
3. Randomly-generated map.
4. Permadeath.
5. Movement, battle and other actions take place in the same mode. Every action should be available at any point of the game. (Overland maps, dialogue trees or cut scenes, shopping screens, and other such interfaces violate this rule.)
6. Complexity. There's more than one solution for various common goals.
7. Resource management.
8. Most of the game is hack 'n' slash.
9. Exploration and discovery.

There's also a half-dozen "low-value" factors that are often part of a roguelike, but aren't required.

A roguelite is missing one or more of those high-value characteristics, but missing one or more of those traits doesn't automatically make it a rogue-lite. And it might be possible to make a game that hits all of the high-value characteristics and yet isn't a roguelike.

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
@Antimatter , Thank you for the detailed answer. I'm still not quite seeing how Beamdog's new game qualifies. It looks like it has a story for the four main characters, and lots of cutscenes, so how would that involve randomly generated maps? Or tile-based movement? Perhaps a definition by example would help me understand better. What are other games could I look up to get a better understanding?

I played Dragon's Lair in the arcades during the 1980's, so if that's a roguelike, it would help me understand what to expect from a game with that label, but if not, I guess I'm back to square one.

Dragon's Lair didn't have randomly generated maps, although it did have disguised tile-based movement. You could only go four directions, joystick up-down-left-right, for each scene, and only one or maybe two didn't lead to a death cutscene. Actually the whole thing was made of cutscenes. You also had to respond quickly with the joystick in the correct direction to not get a death. The trigger points could be in rapid sequence in parts of the game.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
What I meant to say is that a roguelite is not-nearly-a-roguelike. It's a roguelike with missing high-value points. So, for example, this new game doesn't have tile-based movement, so it's not a roguelike. But it still has other features that qualify nearly as a roguelike. This is why it's called a roguelite. Does this make sense?

You can google Hades, one of the best games, not just roguelites, ever. It's isometric, not 1st person, but it should explain the genre to you, more or less.

Or watch this video:

Or Children of Morta - another amazing roguelite. 1st person games are rarely roguelites (but there are good exceptions, like Gunfire Reborn or Ziggurat).

Dragon's Lair is an arcade game, not a roguelite (back when it was created, nobody knew what a roguelite would be; Rogue, though, already existed).

Top Bottom