AI Art

shmity72

Habitué
The following I think qualifies as an off topic rant on the above, just to let off some steam in the cypher hehe.

So at some point this conversation will be so old hat and so ubiquitous that it ceases to be all that interesting anymore, but for now at least, I still think it's funny as all hell that Wikipedia, (the most comprehensive encyclopedia in the history of the world), is currently in the process of downgrading the reliability of sources that have knowingly published AI generated content alongside the regular stuff.

From the leap year article...

This is particularly amusing, since for years and years Wikipedia was scrutinized and denigrated esp. in media with claims questioning it's reliability, at least in the popular parlance, I mean right. Now it's Wikipedia going to bat for us on the credible information front haha. Currently CNET is all embroiled for their decision to give a byline to a computer and then pushing out plagiarized garbage with reckless abandon starting some time in 2020. Perhaps it was meant to be humorous, or just fad chasing, but now that game of chicken came home to roost. They went from a Green 'mostly reliable' designation, to a Red 'mostly unreliable' designation inside of 3 years. Their reputation as a credible secondary source is effectively destroyed. Not that CNET was ever all that great to begin with, but the AI branding doesn't just wash off from the later mea culpa. Their brand is already tarnished.

It's the same as an AI title sequence in a TV show ruining the whole show before you even watch the first 10 minutes of it. Or some jank AI image ruining everything else hanging in an art gallery, simply by being there. This whackness just permeates via osmosis or something. The backlash seems to be very very swift, to the point where I would be scarred shitless if I was a chief editor of anything, that somehow something like this makes it's way to the front page, or I don't know say a cartoon on the cover of TIME, that just ends the whole thing in farce?

As little things like this continue to happen - as AIs muddle and pancake everything down into the mire, and we become more saturated - I bet the reaction will become even more knee-jerk in response. This is possibly a new dividing line or wedge that's going to fuck up the discourse on basically all fronts at once. I don't mean terminator drones coming for the actors, or Lensa on her midjourney, but just the overall numbing whackness like a law of thermodynamics or something, the entropic effect of general AIs just floating around being lame - day to day. I mean do you all get that too?

I legit think the single worst thing a game developer or publisher could be doing right now is trying to save a buck in this way. It will mark the final product as trash, like the opposite cool, and peeps will be far less likely to pay for things that they know where made so cheaply and at such a hidden cost (trying to ditch all the humans involved.) The red line is super clear right now, like if they want to see where it leads just follow the trajectory straight off the graph paper down to the floor. My neuro-divergent quadrangle on this stuff is kinda laying it out for me over here, L7 to the point where the cards are pretty hard to misread at this point. Probably the same dumbasses who think that corporations should be people, or who want to extend personhood down to the cellular level in a freezer, would be the same sorts to unwittingly declare that now AI bots are also persons, just cause they bring a sufficient amount of cash to the table or whatever. Like to just say that and make it true, and put it on the books. Weirdly the same logic and cohort that probably says all the animals are for sure definitely not persons, or that the environment doesn't exist, or that nothing is real except for the one thing they happen to be on about at all times. It's at least as big as art or geopolitics right or MTV, and 24 is gonna be rough. The straits seem like they could potentially get that dire, if you know what I'm saying.

Then all these peeps getting laid off and sent packing during in the great bloodletting that has befallen workers in the games industry right now, it's all predicated on this idea that the broader public will acquiesce to AI generated content replacing them. Anecdotally, I see the exact opposite going down. In my brief time kicking around on planet earth, I don't think I've seen anything quite this extreme for a response.

The negative reaction towards a novel technology and the speed of its adoption, it just seems to be of a different order here. Like sure, people might have bemoaned cars or smart phones or socials or TV when they arrived, but learning to fucking hate AI takes a lot less time hehe. I've noticed that I no longer trust or have much confidence even when it comes to little things like random posts on general discussion boards. Especially if they are provocatively framed at the outset. There's no way to captcha on this one to tell whether it's a legit human or a bot anymore, or at least not for online communities at scale. Twitter is dead in the water already, youtube and meta, likely the same. The major publishers and studios seem to think they're pulling a fast one like 28 days later, but instead it's already spotlights way off in the distance. Zombie content is on the rapid rise, but also everyone can see em coming. Like good grief, what is this nonsense anyway. Affective polarization is off the charts everywhere already, and then the AI zombies arrive right on time, just cause of course they would lol. Bah. I will keep trying so hard to make sure that people know I'm human, or very cynical dog, and not just a fucking robot, even if it's hella long winded a bit more us/them in the framing than I'd usually countenance, but here why not I guess lol

Attachments

• calvin hobbes.jpg
    calvin hobbes.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 11

shmity72

Habitué
You are correct. AI will never be fashionable. It will allow the carts to move much farther without carrying all that weight on our backs though.

fashionable: ai is a one and zero. ..can it be subjective? anything's possible yet I feel that is improbable. it is not alive per se as a cell would be.
allow carts to move: the next greatest 'tool'/wheel.
all that weight: failed diplomacy due to the inadequacies of human intellectual communication. global not 'peace' but 'stability' ought be coming from AI in that regard.
our backs: there is only one earth and there is only one 'our' that is every human soul.. (although I do not believe in souls/religion/or divinity and am a Christian with faith in the archetype of Jesus) you catch my drift....

end.

Black Elk

Habitué
Because it's an art thread, I find myself searching for an art historical analogy and I think it's something like 1913 maybe? (at least where I live) cause I think that might be the last time it ever got shook this hard in the arts. I think that was also sorta the end of painting styles right? Like they sorta mark it there, everything post that is pretty modern and ambiguous.

I'm thinking specifically of like that change that happened between say a Gustave Moreau who actually trained the Fauvists and taught them how to paint to a Matisse and what came almost immediately after right. Even though I really had trouble with Matisse (like I get it, but you know what I mean hehe) and Cubism wasn't my first fav. But then there's that whole riff where this one in particular got bounced from the gallery... cause it was deemed too futurist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_Descending_a_Staircase,_No._2 and then the whole framing like contra Muybridge and the advent of photographic mimesis. Also weird that it was legit at an Armory, like for the infantry units. Too wild. By that point it's already in the weeds right, and everything is just reactionary/revolutionary from that point on. Except that illustration was sorta insulated from it all maybe I suppose. Like that's avant garde, but it didn't hit on the same level as say cinema to capture the popular imagination, cause those tropes are still the older ones. I mean outside of the most experimental stuff, early cinema is totally preoccupied with the most romantic and symbolist subjects right, or just trying to port theater ghosts onto the screen before they started leaning into the medium a bit more a few decades on. Gave us the cartoons too. Games are now almost totally cinematic, or like some riff on an aerialist view combined with that, and it's totally kinetic. I feel like AIs making the whole deal would be some kind of logical extension of that trope, which is sorta fascist like that's where those art movements ended up just taking it and meme-ifying it and not crediting it even when jacked and repurposed and resold. 24 is legit mildly terrifying as the article I didn't post (cause it didn't seem all that gameful really so much as depressing) was this one...

Where I guess the only plan is what, to rate it M for mature? My goodness. Somehow it's going to morph into the same old problems again probably. Just on Xbox? It's hard not to despair for the games and the game players though. I think one thing they likely don't take to heart is that people who make games are often players of games, and vice versa, in a nice loop, so like if you just torch all your game designers it's pretty much torching your players too. Long term I mean, the knowhow will just sorta disappear in like a glut of material. The eye glazes over and then everyone decides neah, not cool, and moves onto something that grabs them more, probably made by humans, cause that's kinda always been the thing. People get bored when it becomes so formulaic that it can be predicted in advance. Always happens the same way probably. It just sucks that you know full well AI will come for video games first and try to cash in there big time, cause it's kinda the lowest hanging fruit. Like it already has to kinda borrow from motion pictures whatever status it might claim as arts, but I don't know that it ever really has, or at least not until very very recently. Doesn't seem to matter if someone buys a copy of a golden Zelda for like 100 million dollars, it's still kinda off brand in that way as far as Art goes. Makes me worry, even though it's a bit alarmist, that games will be like some kind of front line here where the AI bots are concerned. I'd have more respect I think for any developer that just walked the other direction completely, even if the final product has some jank. Least human jank might still count for something. I think, anyway. The stuff outside the arts way harder to figure. Seems like it might be an important year. What with Dune in theaters and all. Like who woulda seen that coming back in 1999? Crazy

no spoilers hehe

Last edited:

shmity72

Habitué
Because it's an art thread, I find myself searching for an art historical analogy and I think it's something like 1913 maybe? (at least where I live) cause I think that might be the last time it ever got shook this hard in the arts. I think that was also sorta the end of painting styles right? Like they sorta mark it there, everything post that is pretty modern and ambiguous.

I'm thinking specifically of like that change that happened between say a Gustave Moreau who actually trained the Fauvists and taught them how to paint to a Matisse and what came almost immediately after right. Even though I really had trouble with Matisse (like I get it, but you know what I mean hehe) and Cubism wasn't my first fav. But then there's that whole riff where this one in particular got bounced from the gallery... cause it was deemed too futurist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_Descending_a_Staircase,_No._2 and then the whole framing like contra Muybridge and the advent of photographic mimesis. Also weird that it was legit at an Armory, like for the infantry units. Too wild. By that point it's already in the weeds right, and everything is just reactionary/revolutionary from that point on. Except that illustration was sorta insulated from it all maybe I suppose. Like that's avant garde, but it didn't hit on the same level as say cinema to capture the popular imagination, cause those tropes are still the older ones. I mean outside of the most experimental stuff, early cinema is totally preoccupied with the most romantic and symbolist subjects right, or just trying to port theater ghosts onto the screen before they started leaning into the medium a bit more a few decades on. Gave us the cartoons too. Games are now almost totally cinematic, or like some riff on an aerialist view combined with that, and it's totally kinetic. I feel like AIs making the whole deal would be some kind of logical extension of that trope, which is sorta fascist like that's where those art movements ended up just taking it and meme-ifying it and not crediting it even when jacked and repurposed and resold. 24 is legit mildly terrifying as the article I didn't post (cause it didn't seem all that gameful really so much as depressing) was this one...

Where I guess the only plan is what, to rate it M for mature? My goodness. Somehow it's going to morph into the same old problems again probably. Just on Xbox? It's hard not to despair for the games and the game players though. I think one thing they likely don't take to heart is that people who make games are often players of games, and vice versa, in a nice loop, so like if you just torch all your game designers it's pretty much torching your players too. Long term I mean, the knowhow will just sorta disappear in like a glut of material. The eye glazes over and then everyone decides neah, not cool, and moves onto something that grabs them more, probably made by humans, cause that's kinda always been the thing. People get bored when it becomes so formulaic that it can be predicted in advance. Always happens the same way probably. It just sucks that you know full well AI will come for video games first and try to cash in there big time, cause it's kinda the lowest hanging fruit. Like it already has to kinda borrow from motion pictures whatever status it might claim as arts, but I don't know that it ever really has, or at least not until very very recently. Doesn't seem to matter if someone buys a copy of a golden Zelda for like 100 million dollars, it's still kinda off brand in that way as far as Art goes. Makes me worry, even though it's a bit alarmist, that games will be like some kind of front line here where the AI bots are concerned. I'd have more respect I think for any developer that just walked the other direction completely, even if the final product has some jank. Least human jank might still count for something. I think, anyway. The stuff outside the arts way harder to figure. Seems like it might be an important year. What with Dune in theaters and all. Like who woulda seen that coming back in 1999? Crazy

no spoilers hehe
AI is and is only starting to majorly MAJORLY disrupt life as we know it. internet? not as big a deal that's just electrical wires with wave info. Entertainment industry. That is interesting as you say the AAA titles are going to be even more hand holding cinema. but! in regards to your article. I think that...I know this is wayyy out there...there will be a biological psychic response to AI reflecting 'reality' 'artificially'. like a big throw up of you know? human trafficking information should be on the news more than silly cat videos that sell detergent. I'm hoping for an ah ha! moment in the minds of human kind of priorities and that AI will slap us across the face and say SEE:

virtue, n.

As a mass noun. Conformity to moral law or accepted moral standards, the possession of morally good qualities; behaviour arising from such standards…

Top Bottom