[Forum Game, finished] Dear guests and residents, beware of the hills north of the Tavern!

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm relieved (it's not easy to admit) you're coming with us, as we might just need your alien psionic powers.

As for my powers, I can provide throwable traps with antimatter (so-called magnetic atom traps). Due to my invisibility, I can serve as a party scout - I guess this makes me almost a rogue? A rogue who has to сonstrain themselves, or everything will annihilate.

Also, you can use my energy in small proportions to bake food and boil some water.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
I'm relieved (it's not easy to admit) you're coming with us, as we might just need your alien psionic powers.

As for my powers, I can provide throwable traps with antimatter (so-called magnetic atom traps). Due to my invisibility, I can serve as a party scout - I guess this makes me almost a rogue? A rogue who has to сonstrain themselves, or everything will annihilate.

Also, you can use my energy in small proportions to bake food and boil some water.

I had hoped the nimble ferret @Nimran would join us, but he's probably still afraid because of that stolen shrub.

Now don't call me prejudiced against people with oppositely charged particles, but can you guarantee your restraint, @Antimatter , or will you look like this when you scout?

exploskeleton.jpg

(Exploskeleton, Divinity: Original Sin)

m7600

Habitué
After making all the necessary preparations, the party headed north, to the green hills where the ruined tower awaits. For a while, the path was easy enough to follow. As they drew closer, the vegetation became more abundant. The adventurers found themselves among stout trees, most of which were pine and mahogany, although there were a few mighty oaks. The air was sweet, a pleasant combination of fragrances and aromas that are typical of wild, untamed forests.

To the party's surprise, a strange cyan light seemed to emanate from the ruins of the stone tower. A circle of trees surrounded it. Their branches moved gently in the wind, which was rather peculiar, since the gusts of wind did not seem especially strong that afternoon. Rather, it was as if those branches moved by themselves.

It was at this point that the party would have to deliberate and decide what to do next.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
(In a low voice)
There, do you see it? The circle of trees wasn't there when I left, but they look just like the ones that blocked the way. I didn't notice the odd light then, either.

Let's withdraw a bit into the underbrush before they notice us. I'd suggest we send someone small or invisible ahead to get a closer look and then decide if and how we approach them, but let's hear all opinions first.

m7600

Habitué
Hidden from sight, alice_ashpool and mlnevese made their way forward, cautiously scouting. A few feet away from the ruins, they found a spot from where they could observe the scene clearly. The peculiar cyan light that they saw before turned out to be a sort of slowly rotating whirlpool of blueish colors, about the size of a door. Beneath that swirling spectacle of cold pastel hues, there was a small multicolored stone, which glowed with a soft, cyan light of its own, though not as intense as the spiraling parade of lights above it.

As they were watching, mlnevese and alice_ashpool heard deep, rumbling sounds from some of trees that encircled the stone ruins. These did not seem to be random noises, since there was a certain cadence or rhythm to them. It sounded articulate. A curious melody imbued with speech-like qualities.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
I stay back at our hiding place, watching for signs of movement, not sure where our invisible companions have gone.
"Let's hope they don't do anything rash, the Treants might not ask about our intentions first." I mutter to the others under my breath. I drop our bags quietly and get in a position ready to charge, just in case.

m7600

Habitué
While Urdnot_Wrex watched attentively for signs of movement, alice_ashpool got closer to the blueish lights. She spotted a wooden cellar door at the base of the tower.

Suddenly, a cloaked figure emerged from the portal, carrying what looked like a middle-aged man between his arms. He was struggling to free himself, but it was futile. *Please, somebody help me! Help, help!", he kept shouting.

Some of the trees that encircled the portal uprooted themselves. They opened the cellar door, and the cloaked figure tossed the man inside. The strange fellow removed his grey cloak. But there was no person underneath it. Rather, it was a vaguely humanoid tree.

A different tree picked up the long, grey cloak. After putting it on, the creature stepped through the blueish portal and disappeared.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
I'm beginning to lose my patience as I can't see what our spies are doing. I try to pretend I wasn't startled when a raven landed on my shoulder.
"Ah, @Blackraven , glad to see you decided to join us" I whisper to him. "Any chance you can speak their language? I was thinking to just run and follow that one into the portal, but if we can't communicate, they could turn hostile quickly. If we try to talk to them first and give them a chance to act, it might ruin our chances to do something at all, though. What do you think?"

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
I grow tired of waiting and watching. I stand up to my full height, spread out my arms to show that I carry no weapons and walk slowly towards the circle of trees. I trust my companions to either help me or get away fast if this won't work.

I try to assume a firm but non-threatening stance and speak up.

"I'm Urdnot Wrex. I guard the Tavern, and you took something that belongs to us. I mean you no harm, but I demand to know what's going on here, and why you took our Rogue Stone. "

m7600

Habitué
The Treats slowly turned to face Urdnot Wrex, somewhat surprised. Then they looked at each other, and uttered a few unintelligible sounds. One of them seemed to raise his tone, as if attempting to quiet the other ones. Turning again to the Krogan, he said:

Treant: "I speak Common, yes. I have seen you before. You were here the other day. You took berries, nuts and mushrooms without our permission. So, we took your Rogue Stone without your permission. It's only fair."

The other Treants started to mumble again, but the one that speaks Common shushed them once more.

Treant: "Excuse them. As for your stone (*he points to the multicolored stone beneath the portal*) we have not damaged it. You can have it back tomorrow, if it means that much to you."

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Say, do Treants have a Goose agent working for them in the tavern? How could they sneak the stone from the place located quite far from them, considering Treants don't leave their biome easily, and of course they can't act quickly?

I think there should be a bluff check somewhere. Also, those other Treants mumbling might be just them disagreeing with the Common words shared by that one who speaks.

I can pivot to the invisible exploration of what lies beyond the wooden cellar door at the base of the tower.

Top Bottom