Game Guides

Fandraxx

Habitué
Does anyone remember the olden days of gaming guides? I recently found this gem for cheap (and have ones for the base and second game on the way) and can't help but get nostalgic about them.

I know they've been largely displaced by digital means (and don't even think that's necessarily a bad thing, to be honest) but I used to love reading guides as a kid. I liked reading to begin with, but getting to read about games in the process? Just made it even better.

unnamed.jpg

m7600

Habitué
Yeah, Nintendo Power was cool, I didn't have a subscription but I had a few numbers.

I think I had less than a dozen NES / SNES games combined. Regarding the former, besides the original Mario Bros that came with the console, I remember I had Karnov and a couple of other titles which I can't remember now. As for the SNES, in addition to Super Mario World, which again came with the system, I had Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Mortal Kombat 2, Primal Rage, and Demon's Crest.

My friends had other games, so we would exchange titles pretty often. That's how I got to play Super Metroid and Mega Man 7, without having to spend money. We would also rent games from Blockbuster instead of buying them.

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
Not exactly on topic, but for anyone who can't find/can't afford old paper guidebooks and needs to use the "digital means", I know a website that's a treasure trove, and for some reason it doesn't come up high in search engine lists and thus is very hard to find if you don't already know about it. It's called mocagh.org , which stands for "Museum of Computer Adventure Gaming History."

Here's my link to the Prima guide for Might and Magic 6:

Black Elk

Habitué
For Might & Magic this just totally blew my mind... Like I remember the big hot pink and orange boxes, but whatever they had going in Japan must have been next level!

clouds of xeen japanese print.png

Also Nintendo Power was so great!

Here, watch me date myself completely... lol

zelda_guide_lttp_nintendo_power_us_0000.png

Nintendo power was like the Zoobooks of Nintendo! I never had more than a couple, but I remember them floating around for sure heheh

oh and...

https://archive.org/details/nintendo-power-issue-049-june-1993

haha the classics!

Fandraxx

Habitué
For Might & Magic this just totally blew my mind... Like I remember the big hot pink and orange boxes, but whatever they had going in Japan must have been next level!

View attachment 7721

Also Nintendo Power was so great!

Here, watch me date myself completely... lol

View attachment 7720

Nintendo power was like the Zoobooks of Nintendo! I never had more than a couple, but I remember them floating around for sure heheh

oh and...

https://archive.org/details/nintendo-power-issue-049-june-1993

haha the classics!
Something about these old boxes is just so nostalgic. There's really nothing like them in the world today.

Top Bottom