Has anyone tried doing Siege of Dragonspear with only one half of the Minsc/Dynaheir duo?

Chronicler

Habitué
So, BG1, there are paired companions. If you boot one, the other will leave with them.

But there are workarounds. Like if one half of a duo happens to fall in combat, the other half will continue the journey without them.

This was done away with in BG2. No more duos.

In siege of Dragonspear, Khalid and Jaheira are no longer a duo. You can take either individually. But Minsc and Dynaheir still are a duo.

In theory the same workarounds should work, except that these characters actually have pretty in depth stories and questlines in Siege of Dragonspear, BG2 style. If you took just one of them, would it bug out the parts of the story that expect you to have both?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I've looked into this and you seem to be correct, having Minsc and Dynaheir as a duo in SoD is essential for at least some of their quests and interactions.

As an example, I looked at the Julann and Rigah encounter. In NearInfinity you can see the following requisites for some lines:

!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Minsc")
!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Dynaheir")

But then, there are party interactions that don't require both of them at the same time. For example, when you encounter Dorn, there are special lines:

Dorn: Who in their right mind would choose to face the wrath of the mighty Dorn Il-Khan?
Minsc: No one at all. Minsc stands ready!

This is a response trigger for IsValidForPartyDialogue("MINSC")

Dorn: Who in their right mind would choose to face the wrath of the mighty Dorn Il-Khan?
Dynaheir: What does it matter? This one reeks of blood and treachery. He is where he belongs.

This is a response trigger for IsValidForPartyDialogue("DYNAHEIR")

Overall, there are 76 hits for searching IsValidForPartyDialogue("DYNAHEIR") and 303 hits for searching IsValidForPartyDialogue("MINSC") in Siege of Dragonspear (but that is expected, of course, since Minsc has such a distinct character personality).

I recommend either looking for it yourself, or testing out in the game.

Top Bottom