Interest check: Baldur's Gate (classic) full trilogy RP run

Who should be the one to gather her party before venturing forth?

• Beatrix

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Maven

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

JustKneller

Habitué
TLDR; I'm planning a RP-oriented run of the full trilogy that I intend to post as a screenshot let's play (SSLP). This play will take a different course than most people I've seen take, partly due to wanting to fit the B-story material in with the A-story and partly due to approaching this game less like a linear video game, and more like an open ended tabletop game. The game will be "completed" but the path taken will not follow any walkthrough I've ever read and will instead be oriented towards making sense considering the character.

That being said, I have two contenders in mind for the task.

Beatrix, the Human Cavalier

I think the Cavalier is both background appropriate and appropriately ironic. As Paladins go, the storybook Cavalier seemed far more befitting someone with a sheltered upbringing in a massive library than the more grim Undead Hunter or the kinda-weird-when-you're-surrounded-by-mages Inquisitor.
Also, while Beatrix fancies herself as a knight pure and true, she will come to find that the greatest evil she needs to slay will actually be within herself.
How poetic!

Gameplay-wise, this character will be a strong front-liner with a lot of Charisma, which is fitting for a protagonist and party leader. It's a solid class that has consistent performance through the entire game. Being a Paladin (and Lawful Good aligned) it's going to make the roleplay a little complicated in places (some parts of the game have no “good” choices), but negotiating this moral dilemmas is part of the fun, right? However, there will be some content I just skip because it's out of line with the character (i.e. some criminal side quests for the thieves' guild in Baldur's Gate). I'm not sure if this is much of a sacrifice as, being a RP run, the companions I'm taking wouldn't want to be involved in some of these things anyway.

The voice for the narrator would be sincere, slightly austere, but not righteous or pious. Likely more of a “typical" voice for this kind of story than the one for the other character.

Maven, the Half-Elven Cleric/Wild Mage

On the Cleric side, her patron is Oghma, the god of knowlege. It makes sense considering Oghma is the only faith with a temple in Candlekeep and it also supports her studious mage-side.
There is an element in the Bhaalspawn prophecy that states that deities cannot interfere with Bhaalspawn. Some people consider clerics to be invalid due to this. Other people interpret this as not allowing gods to directly intervene with the prophecy, but Bhaalspawn can still serve as clerics like any other. I'm leaning on the latter here, obviously.
As for her magery, she's just a little accident prone (Wild surges).
Perhaps it's her divine blood sending her magic askew?

Maven is somewhat mockingly known as "Maven the Craven" around Candlekeep, due to her general squeamishness. Even combat training exercises give her vertigo, nevermind the real thing. She doesn't have a compunction against necessary violence, per se, she just doesn't have the stomach for it. Gameplay-wise, this is a pacifist run. The plan is for Maven to end this game with zero kills to her name. Of course, plenty of killing will be happening, but Maven will be relying on her companions to handle the wetwork.

The voice for this narrator would be what you might expect from a cowardly hero. Compared to Beatrix, it would likely come off as a little more crass or possibly satirical/humorous. This would be a bit more of a challenge to write as I would have to substantiate motivation for this cowardly character to seek adventure. However, the prologue actually provides some solid material to move things along.

Technically this is a cheat character. Wild Mages can't multi-class, neither in this game or in tabletop. However, I would use a character editor to make it work. I could just do a vanilla cleric/mage, but the wild mage addition really adds to the concept. Additionally, the wild surges (random stuff that can happen when you cast a spell) can make both the gameplay and story interesting.

Even without the pacifism, this build is a support character. Despite being the protagonist, she will be taking a backseat to most of the rest of the party when it comes to the action. It's a little weird, but probably not a real problem. Also, I'm not sure if the pacifism is going to eventually bite me in the ass. That is, I haven't played past half of the second game so I don't know if there are parts with the protagonist is required to kill something/someone themselves to move the game along.

That being said...

If you have any interest in this kind of content, please feel free to vote for your preferred hero. Whoever gets the most votes wins! Any questions? Just ask. Thanks! :)

Black Elk

Habitué
I was on the fence. On the one hand I'm intrigued by a cavalier managing to make it happen without too much horsing around hehe. I honestly can't remember now, but I think it was all I ever spotted back there in candlekeep. Oghma rorschach on that just seems like it could be wildly entertaining. But then Wild magic goodwitchcraft will always just be more my speed I suppose. Plus paradise I think would be somewhere out there raven' around in Maven's wood maybe? Like if it's 90s are back again (and I heard it might be true) then a multi-class angle makes total sense. Satire never gets old! hehe

Last edited:

Alesia_BH

Habitué
I’m in camp Beatrix, and I plan to vote early and often.
giphy-1.gif

Black Elk

Habitué
Wells since I voted Maven and she's ahead, probably best to close the polls immediately. But if Beatrix has a dark horse comeback plan, it could be right down to the line, so I don't know.

If I had to take odds... Gustave Dore - rocking the vote, monitoring all the exit polls and absentee ballots. Could swing either way

canto 31.png

windmills.jpg

JustKneller

Habitué
Since Cleric/Mage in total (and Cleric/Illusionist in particular) is my all time most favorite class combo and I was never sold on Paladins (except of Pallegina in PoE) my vote is obvious. I also wouldn’t equate pacifism with cowardice but if you see her like this it's fine with me.
It warrants mention that I agree that pacifism isn't cowardice. Also, Candlekeep is a quiet and peaceful place where combat prowess is not necessarily admired or emphasized. The moniker that Maven has around Candlekeep is half mocking, half affectionate. Indeed, the trials she will experience will show that courage and violence are two separate things. It may be subtle, but it's an important distinction when I consider the arc for the character. That is to say, if killing is truly cowardice, and cowardice is her obstacle, then her arc is only fully realized if she becomes a killing machine. I don't think this is a good story arc for a character that is essentially a "good person". So, I have to approach it differently. The pacifism/cowardice dichotomy is resolved when Maven shows that these two things are actually separate and so courage and kill count are two very different things.

All in all, I think Beatrix is easier to play and easier to write but Maven has more potential if I don't screw it up. I would estimate this is a medium-sized "if". :)

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
I dunno OrlonKronsteen, Maven seems to be pulling ahead. You might need to campaign with some other users to give Beatrix a fighting chance. :p
In the old days I'd have gotten boots on the ground; I'd have put signs on lawns; I'd have driven people to the polls. But what with the internet...

In seriousness (as far as gaming can be serious), I hope you have a great run. Cleric/wild mage sounds like a unique build and rp opportunity. Enjoy!

Top Bottom