Kaleidoscopic World

Chronicler

Habitué
Been thinking about Eahta in Fate Grand Order a bit lately.

He's a character who has devoted himself to the pursuit of strength. He's forged himself like a blade, cutting away weak parts of himself. Sharpening his edge. He's forgotten even his own name in this quest.

So, of course, central to his quest is the question of "What even is strength?". In point of fact, strength is many things, and many of them are conflicting. The world is a constantly shifting kaleidoscope of circumstances. The strength that serves a king does not serve a peasant. The strength that served you at one point in your life may become a weakness when you escape the environment where you needed it.

To pursue strength is to be a student of strength. To meet other strong people, and learn the nature of their strength, and see what parts of it are worth incorporating into your own.

He's forgotten his age, but he knows he's not a young man. His body needs more maintenance than it once did. And yet, there's still so much to see and learn. Where I left off in his story, he seemed to have made some new resolutions. He says that in the pursuit of strength he once abandoned his humanity, but he's decided never to do that again. He watches this new young captain he follows (the player character), whose strength comes from his interpersonal connections as much as anything else. He's been helping raise a small child, who needs his guidance to understand her strange power. I think he's come to realize that his old routine is holding him back. He once could be nothing but a blade, but now he needs to be something more.

I think it's cool how they took a kind of one note premise and fleshed it out into something interesting. The latter chapters lean much more heavily into the "Weird Grandpa" angle that I think is much more endearing than the "Strength for Strength's Sake" routine he was doing at first, but even that they've turned into something a bit more involved and detailed than I thought it would be.

For context, he's a part of a group of characters called The Eternals who each claim to be the mightiest user of their weapon type. He's the katana user of the group. So like, the pursuit of strength on its own isn't exactly much of a character nugget, doesn't differentiate him from the group too much.

Top Bottom