Movies/TV Series/Books that surprised you

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
I must say the new X-Men 97 took me completely by surprise.

Since I saw the announcement for it, I didn't expect much from a Disney reboot of a 90's cartoon.

But IT'S GOOD!

It's mature, the authors are not afraid of killing characters,
so far Professor Xavier, Magneto and Gambit have died, and Storm lost all her powers, Moira was disintegrated, the entire nation of Genosha was reduced to rumbles after an attack

It takes the entire discussion abou the consequences of hate for those that are different from you very seriously.

It positively surprised me.

Fandraxx

Habitué
These are a surprise! Even moreso that I found them for cheap!

DSC_0001.png

(OH MY GOD THEY'RE SO BAD. THEY ARE BORDERLINE HORRIFIC. THEY'RE SOMEHOW WORSE THAN THE INTERNET SAID THEY WERE. THEY MAKE NO SENSE. THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY BE A COMPLETE WASTE OF PAPER. IT USES THE WORD "CUCKOLD" SERIOUSLY AT ONE POINT. I'M EMBARASSED *FOR* EVERYONE INVOLVED).

shmity72

Habitué
on a lark my sister and i went to the theatre to see some silly guy stripper show. very very well crafted and funny. the full monty
the outer limits 95- i didn't think they would do classic twilight zone justice but it was good.

mere Christianity by cs Lewis read it 3x..and i'm hardly a christian.
oh and in high school i read fiction books in the library instead of finishing my math problems: Michael chriton andromeda strain.

let's throw in an album: Sarah McLaughlin such a voice so well produced.

THIS is the first time I REALLY heard the blues in 1992

Last edited:

Black Elk

Habitué
These are a surprise! Even moreso that I found them for cheap!

View attachment 8245

(OH MY GOD THEY'RE SO BAD. THEY ARE BORDERLINE HORRIFIC. THEY'RE SOMEHOW WORSE THAN THE INTERNET SAID THEY WERE. THEY MAKE NO SENSE. THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY BE A COMPLETE WASTE OF PAPER. IT USES THE WORD "CUCKOLD" SERIOUSLY AT ONE POINT. I'M EMBARASSED *FOR* EVERYONE INVOLVED).

I loathe the book, but love the author, just for this... which was the most surprising thing of all!

About a page down after the prologue hehe

[...]

Under no circumstances should you read Baldur’s Gate. It’s out of print anyway, and please don’t bother trying to find it. This was my first published “novel,” and I wish it would disappear from the memory of mankind for all time.

Let’s go back a bit to the beginning.

BioWare was working on a computer RPG, under license from Wizards of the Coast, set in the Forgotten Realms world. The buzz started to get pretty positive really early and the idea was floated by someone I’ve since forgiven that we should publish a novelization of the game. Because I’m a total moron, I participated in a blind proposal process in hopes of being the person to write it. Because of reasons unknown, my proposal was picked and I was assigned to write the book. That was somewhere around Halloween and they needed the first draft by Christmas.

A “long” book wasn’t going to happen, so though I don’t remember what the assigned word count was, it was less than the average 90,000 for other Forgotten Realms novels. So I went in knowing it was going to be short and though I didn’t really hope it would be bad, I did start the process with that same sense of the freedom of low expectations.

First of all, this was a novelization, so the story was (more or less—it’s complicated, but for our purposes . . .) all spelled out for me. Gary Gygax, Ed Greenwood, and everyone else who came after them had already built the world, and so all of the up-front work was done. I just had to write it up.

I also went in comfortable with the fact that all I needed to show up with around Christmas was a first draft. That draft would then be read and vetted not just by my editor at Wizards of the Coast but by someone at the game studio, and together they would make sure I was in line with the spirit and the letter of the game story, and so on.

So I did my best with what time and story material I had and went for done—not for good, not for long, just . . . done.

And I was done on time, and the book went to my editor and someone—I have no idea to this day who and still think it might have been no one—and after a few weeks I got notes back from my editor, and nothing from anyone involved in the game except some kind of vague, “It’s fine.”

I was pretty sure it wasn’t fine.

After all, at that point there wasn’t even a beta version of the game to play. I was working from a very early story document and that’s it.

But it was “fine,” and a production deadline loomed before us, and almost as if we planned it, the second the book went to press we got a pre-beta version of the game that crashed too early on to tell how off the mark I was, but gave me just enough negative feedback to know I was in trouble in Chapter 1 . . .

Then the book came out to a flurry of online hate, all directed at me, the worst writer of all time, who had clearly never bothered to even play the game and . . . My short bad book wasn’t revised into a longer better book. It stayed short and bad, and though it sold a crap ton of copies, at least by today’s standards, it remains most Forgotten Realms fans’ least favorite FR book, and something of an albatross around my neck.

Conscious of the fact that I may have just terrified you out of ever pursuing Dani Shapiro’s advice to start out writing a short bad book, I still think you ought to at least try it. Just, for Bhaal’s sake, make it better, if not longer, before it’s actually published!

—Philip Athans

71xY-7Tz3FL._SL1031_.jpg

The longest shadows! lol

Fandraxx

Habitué
I loathe the book, but love the author, just for this... which was the most surprising thing of all!

About a page down after the prologue hehe

I like Athans, as well, but I have a really hard time looking past some of the stuff, here. Even with the understanding that he was undoubtedly screwed by the circumstances to some degree, I don't think there's any amount of revising/rewriting that would've saved them. They're borderline nonsensical for the most part. Which, honestly, is an outstanding accomplishment considering the characters and story are so shallow.

It almost feels like there isn't enough substance for anything to be considered nonsensical - and yet!

JustKneller

Habitué
On the topic of questionable (to put it mildly) D&D adaptations, I just have to mention the animated Dragonlance movie.

I don't know what you're talking about. The horrendous adaptation perfectly synergizes with the inconsistent animation. I googled what Keifer Sutherland was doing in 2007-2008 that could possibly make him think this was a good idea. Apparently he was coming off a DUI and winding up for a divorce. Ouch. He did get his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame the year this came out, though. Pretty sure that's unrelated. :p

Seriously, that trilogy was my favorite D&D inspired books. I've probably read it three or four times. Tasslehoff Burrfoot inspired many a D&D character for me. I made it 7:56 into that video (and I was skipping ahead a bunch, too). I just wanted to see how they did the Tanis/Flint reunion. After that, I had seen enough.

JustKneller

Habitué
And this movie is from 2008, so it's not like there weren't better 3D rendering capabilities at that time.

2008. So, nine years after The Matrix, seven years after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and five years after the Lord of the Rings, this is the best they could pull together? Granted, their budget was probably the $50 check the producer received from their grandma for Christmas, but still. They could have skipped the trashy 3d animations, poured it all into 2d editing and it would have been a lot tighter. The thing that annoys me the most, though, is that they got some generally talented people for the voice acting and (I also watched the first bar scene after the Tanis/Flint reunion) it was like nobody really gave a shit. This was worse than a cut rate cheesy 80s cartoon. The trilogy actually builds to a really good story but the movie just comes off as a goof. And, I'm super critical of high fantasy stories (I could rail on BG2 all day), so that's saying a lot that I hold the trilogy in such high esteem.

Last edited:

JustKneller

Habitué
Did Caramon Majere actually check out Tika Waylan's breasts / butt like that in the book? I don't remember that at all. One of the movie's cringiest scenes for sure.
No, in fact, there was a whole b-story at how he was normally a bold guy, but he would go all bashful and shy around Tika. I don't think it even resolves until the third book when he finally pulls the trigger on letter her know how he feels.

I caught that butt shaking scene and it was total cringe.

Top Bottom