No chance to play yet, how's it feel???

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't even noticed, but I've put 42 hours into the main release already, and I just reached lvl 4, not even explored the 1/2 of Act 1... This game is huuuuuuge.

The new content that I see (with Wyll vs Karlach etc) and camp interactions give more depth to the characters. They are still far away from the level of detail Dragon Age and Mass Effect put into companions, but it's getting better. I'd say the biggest change I observe in myself is how I react to Astarion. The more I learn about his backstory, the more I understand him. It's all about trying to get used to your companions and understanding their personalities.

The game shines in similar aspects where Divinity: Original Sin games shone: exploration, solving little mysteries in each area, and trying to investigate what happened. The abandoned village and the hidden areas below it are good examples. Every time the game tries to be something grander, it fails a little bit (to me).

The cinematics that they've been so proud of, 174 hours and all, are not on the Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk level, they're more (sorry) close to what you can see in modern Might & Magic Heroes games, but better ofc. The lack of VO for the main character in cut-scenes, coupled with theatrical expressions of the main char, sometimes absolutely inappropriate for my char's personality (e.g. the drow showing absolute fear or astonishment, so inappropriate), breaks the immersion immediately. The way every model looks so polished, so "beautiful" adds to the lack of realism. Everything is designed to look pretty in this game, maybe it's about saturation and actual item/model design.

So far, it's been a story of ups and downs, with absolute blunders happening all the time (e.g. you can't easily equip companions or even see their inventories when you're in the camp, if they're not in your current party; Dragon Age did this the right way 13 years ago). I remapped LMK to RMK for action, and this doesn't allow me to pick and drag objects (a bug). I only realized there is a bug when Karlach with her 18 STR couldn't move the initial treasure stone next to the start of the gaming areas.

The Divinity: Original Sin games worked more fluently (for me). They had worse graphics, but at the same time, they were more focused on what they tried to achieve. When you dare to show my character kissing someone or even more, the scene has to look right, not as if it's shown in the pantomime theatre.

Mind you, I still enjoy and appreciate the game, it's very fun. I'm curious what will happen next, and what I will find under every nook and cranny. However, the game is constantly mixing moments of absolute magic with total mood killers.

Zaxares

Habitué
I'm still on the Nautiloid (I know, I know, I'm slow... XD) but so far I'm fairly impressed with what I've seen. The game definitely holds a lot of potential, although some of my bigger gripes/concerns with the game will likely only make themselves manifest once I'm much deeper in (mostly plot/lore/choice issues).

Currently, my biggest complaint would have to be about the camera. You can press Home to lock it on your current character while running around, but as soon as you move the camera around to get a better look it breaks the lock. I feel like Larian would have done better to make it work the other way around; the camera stays locked on your character and you can freelook around easily the way other first-person or third-person games do it, and then if you want to break the camera off completely and go view a distant part of the map, that's when you press/toggle the button.

Also, while I'm currently enjoying the dice rolling animation for checks and such, I'm very sure that on subsequent playthroughs, it will start to get grating. Larian should implement an option that auto-skips the rolling animation if you want to speed things up.

Last edited:

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I'm still on the Nautiloid (I know, I know, I'm slow... XD) but so far I'm fairly impressed with what I've seen. The game definitely holds a lot of potential, although some of my bigger gripes/concerns with the game will likely only make themselves manifest once I'm much deeper in (mostly plot/lore/choice issues).

Currently, my biggest complaint would have to be about the camera. You can press Home to lock it on your current character while running around, but as soon as you move the camera around to get a better look it breaks the lock. I feel like Larian would have done better to make it work the other way around; the camera stays locked on your camera and you can freelook around easily the way other first-person or third-person games do it, and then if you want to break the camera off completely and go view a distant part of the map, that's when you press/toggle the button.

Also, while I'm currently enjoying the dice rolling animation for checks and such, I'm very sure that on subsequent playthroughs, it will start to get grating. Larian should implement an option that auto-skips the rolling animation if you want to speed things up.

If you click LMB, it will fast forward dice roll animation to the final result.

shmity72

Habitué
I remapped LMK to RMK for action, and this doesn't allow me to pick and drag objects (a bug). I only realized there is a bug when Karlach with her 18 STR couldn't move the initial treasure stone next to the start of the gaming areas.

With releases of this scale and similarity I usually wait for some patches...It would appear to be the smart move. Mayhap I'll wait for a Christmas sale.

Nimran

Habitué
Interesting!!! this might be the first kinda fully-negative comment, or at least one about disliking it or not being able to play it. I didn't get to play any of the older games, what exactly makes a 'Larian' style?
Something about the writing always seems off, almost unnatural, even. I find it hard to immerse myself in the stories they make.

That said, I have decided to keep trying. Who knows, maybe I’ll find the perfect character build that makes the game enjoyable enough regardless.

Black Elk

Habitué
I had a similar issue with keybinds, though for me it was remapping the camera rotation from center mouse click to right mouse click. Mainly because I find clicking and holding down the center mouse roller super awkward. It might work fine in games where you can lock your cam at a fixed distance or orientation, or don't have to reorient constantly, but for a game where you have to do this every couple seconds to target or just see what's happening, it blows. The problem though, is that they have the right mouse click handling the inspection/interact function as well, with a double bind by default there, but when you reassign that key you can't do the same double binding on the new key. Lot of weird little things in keybinds like that, or with double confirmation clicks for a bunch of stuff. I was struggling there. I mentioned the issue like 2 years ago lol. It was way worse when you had to cancel a previous action just in order to click a new one. Now at least for most of the icons on that hotbar simply clicking on the button for new action will automatically cancel the previous selection.

Here are the defaults... you can see how the assignments get tripped up, with the context menu and cancel action... and then trying to reassign that for something that also handles camera rotation. Basically they need a third column there or a way to double bind the key more efficiently.

Also, chasing the cam, and trying play keep up there for simple movement is a chore, even with just a single PC. Not having WASD for movement for the PC, but only the Camera, is a big oversight in my view.

Tactical mode "O" is vertigo inducing because the angle is so very high there, it reminds me of some old arcade games from the late 80s that had you at a 90 degrees looking straight down on the action. I wish I could lock my own view for that, with a more normal orbital camera for tilt, at the desired distance.

In general managing camera tilt/zoom is pretty horrid for anything trying to simulate a more driving mode of play, or even if you just want to look up sometimes in exploration. I struggle mightily with the chain movement and think it's a really poor design choice for a party based game, but this seems to be a holdover from the prior title that they were unwilling to reimagine, despite receiving pretty heavy criticism in EA. It makes me sad, but I honestly think I will probably end up playing Baldur's Gate using an XBOX controller for my PC, rather than the Mouse & Keyboard which I'd prefer for a BG game.

At least until we start seeing some more overhauls there from Mods. I expected some of this to be handled before coming out of EA, and they did make some incremental improvement, but like a lot of things it was never really addressed in full, or at least not to my satisfaction.

That said, I can still hobble along reasonably well, it's just not as comfortable as I'd wish. Makes it harder to lose yourself in the game, when the UI or controls are foregrounded that way. I guess I should be happy that the game at least still has Y-Axis inversion for the cam lol. I mean considering how many other common controls features that got left by the wayside hehe. But sometimes managing the BG3 controls is on that level for me. Like trying to play a game with standard Y axis handling, when I use inverted, and have been for most of my entire gaming life. It's a thing that cannot be re-learned at this point. I think just out of the experiences with other Cinematic RPGs, FPS and RTS games over the years, that I expect certain conventions to be adopted in the controls which were not adopted here in BG3. So it stands out anytime they tried to reinvent the wheel for those things. But this was all well accounted for in EA, so harping on it after full release seems sorta like a wasted effort. If they didn't think it was important enough then, hard to see how they'll land there now, but I still have much hope that the Mods on Nexus may come up with solutions as time goes on.

Waiting till Christmas is probably not a bad plan, since by then hopefully people will be able to get under the hood for some of those issues haha

Last edited:

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I had a similar issue with keybinds, though for me it was remapping the camera rotation from center mouse click to right mouse click. Mainly because I find clicking and holding down the center mouse roller super awkward. It might work fine in games where you can lock your cam at a fixed distance or orientation, or don't have to reorient constantly, but for a game where you have to do this every couple seconds to target or just see what's happening, it blows. The problem though, is that they have the right mouse click handling the inspection/interact function as well, with a double bind by default there, but when you reassign that key you can't do the same double binding on the new key. Lot of weird little things in keybinds like that, or with double confirmation clicks for a bunch of stuff. I was struggling there. I mentioned the issue like 2 years ago lol. It was way worse when you had to cancel a previous action just in order to click a new one. Now at least for most of the icons on that hotbar simply clicking on the button for new action will automatically cancel the previous selection.

Here are the defaults... you can see how the assignments get tripped up, with the context menu and cancel action... and then trying to reassign that for something that also handles camera rotation. Basically they need a third column there or a way to double bind the key more efficiently.

Also, chasing the cam, and trying play keep up there for simple movement is a chore, even with just a single PC. Not having WASD for movement for the PC, but only the Camera, is a big oversight in my view.

Tactical mode "O" is vertigo inducing because the angle is so very high there, it reminds me of some old arcade games from the late 80s that had you at a 90 degrees looking straight down on the action. I wish I could lock my own view for that, with a more normal orbital camera for tilt, at the desired distance.

In general managing camera tilt/zoom is pretty horrid for anything trying to simulate a more driving mode of play, or even if you just want to look up sometimes in exploration. I struggle mightily with the chain movement and think it's a really poor design choice for a party based game, but this seems to be a holdover from the prior title that they were unwilling to reimagine, despite receiving pretty heavy criticism in EA. It makes me sad, but I honestly think I will probably end up playing Baldur's Gate using an XBOX controller for my PC, rather than the Mouse & Keyboard which I'd prefer for a BG game.

At least until we start seeing some more overhauls there from Mods. I expected some of this to be handled before coming out of EA, and they did make some incremental improvement, but like a lot of things it was never really addressed in full, or at least not to my satisfaction.

That said, I can still hobble along reasonably well, it's just not as comfortable as I'd wish. Makes it harder to lose yourself in the game, when the UI or controls are foregrounded that way. I guess I should be happy that the game at least still has Y-Axis inversion for the cam lol. I mean considering how many other common controls features that got left by the wayside hehe. But sometimes managing the BG3 controls is on that level for me. Like trying to play a game with standard Y axis handling, when I use inverted, and have been for most of my entire gaming life. It's a thing that cannot be re-learned at this point. I think just out of the experiences with other Cinematic RPGs, FPS and RTS games over the years, that I expect certain conventions to be adopted in the controls which were not adopted here in BG3. So it stands out anytime they tried to reinvent the wheel for those things. But this was all well accounted for in EA, so harping on it after full release seems sorta like a wasted effort. If they didn't think it was important enough then, hard to see how they'll land there now, but I still have much hope that the Mods on Nexus may come up with solutions as time goes on.

Waiting till Christmas is probably not a bad plan, since by then hopefully people will be able to get under the hood for some of those issues haha
I had exactly the same issue witch changing camera rotation from MMB to RMB. Have you found a way to do it, without destroying inspection keybinding?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
So, I need to give credit where it's due. I played through the Goblin Camp and some Underdark content, and I need to say that it's just freaking amazing. Amazing in terms of variability and choices. My character is a drow, so everyone reacts appropriately, and it's not just one line or two, it's the whole attitude of goblins in the camp (same in the Underdark). The game allows you to hide your personality, so I could observe just how different their reaction is to my character not being a drow. The number of options where, how, and when you can approach the Camp and the Underdark cavern, is mind-blowing: not only in terms of peaceful vs fighting, but also in terms of ways you can access it and the order of how you complete things and they affect each other.

I have never ever seen anything similar in any other game. Also, the Underdark just looks and feels exactly how I could imagine it, when I played BG2 for the first time many years ago. Danger from everything, and yet beauty. Duergars, Svirfneblins, Myconids, Minotaurs...

My previous opinion still stands, the game is full of ups and downs, but sometimes, it just goes so high that I can do nothing else but admire it.

You don't need to wait until Christmas, it's rather ok for a new release. Act 1 has been tested in Early Access for years, so the beginning of the game (and I'm still in Act 1 after 50+ hours) is rather smooth. Sure, there are problems with keybinding and some bugs, but overall, the enjoyment is very strong.

Black Elk

Habitué
Yeah it really does stun and amaze sometimes! Has a lot of glorious shining moments where I'll be like 'Holy shit! Is this like exactly what I used to dream about in 1998!?' Cause it's pretty damn close haha

To the middle mouse click mapping, I found a working solution, but it's somewhat inelegant and not really what I would wish. I remapped the interaction bind to center mouse, and kept the Esc key as the only cancel action button. Eases the burden on exploration a bit, but only by offloading that onto cancel action and object interaction, but that happens less often than cam rotation, so I figured I could manage and it works better for my needs.

Ideally I just want to make some of those key bind assignment into a shift click, alt click or click and hold type combo, but it doesn't give me the range of choices there. I'm really hoping we see some form of cam unlock for exploration/targeting from the Mods that could making it smoother for me. But least for now my clicker finger doesn't feel like it wants to fall off quite so bad lol

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Yeah it really does stun and amaze sometimes! Has a lot of glorious shining moments where I'll be like 'Holy shit! Is this like exactly what I used to dream about in 1998!?' Cause it's pretty damn close haha

To the middle mouse click mapping, I found a working solution, but it's somewhat inelegant and not really what I would wish. I remapped the interaction bind to center mouse, and kept the Esc key as the only cancel action button. Eases the burden on exploration a bit, but only by offloading that onto cancel action and object interaction, but that happens less often than cam rotation, so I figured I could manage and it works better for my needs.

Ideally I just want to make some of those key bind assignment into a shift click, alt click or click and hold type combo, but it doesn't give me the range of choices there. I'm really hoping we see some form of cam unlock for exploration/targeting from the Mods that could making it smoother for me. But least for now my clicker finger doesn't feel like it wants to fall off quite so bad lol
My working solution at the moment is that I got used to using Q/E for camera rotation. Not as smooth as rotating via mouse, but it's good enough.

Black Elk

Habitué
Well, quite the boost up here with that hardware improvement. Hell yeah! I can actually see the hair and textures again hehe.
Looks like this now...

Pretty clean, worth every penny on sale. Some of my UI click responsiveness issue may have been performance related, cause it feels a fair bit cleaner moving about. Party members still pinball around with a mind of their own, but at least fluid wild movement now haha. OK there goes this month lol. Catch you in the Underdark!

Last edited:

Zaxares

Habitué
To echo Cahir, let me know if you find a good workaround too! Like you, I'm very used to using RMB as my "freelook camera" button, but being unable to use it for Inspect (another super common function I find myself doing) is quite the pain.

Black Elk

Habitué
I'll let you know for sure! The second I can find a better keybind combo or we get a cam unlock. It's one of my top issues, like I'm pretty sure it was in my 'first impressions' feedback to their portal on day 1 of the EA launch hehe. Problem is that Larian sorta left their main feedback clearing house like the wildwest for most of their Early Access period. You know, like someone would give some great and very considered feedback in lengthy threads, but then it'd just get buried under memes or whatever. Who knows what was actually seen.

Not to diminish at all what they achieved, cause this is still an excellent game! My view though, is that it's only about 66.6% of what they really needed before bringing the game out of EA. Like across the board. So a 4 character party when it should have 6. 10 Companions when it should have 16. 2 columns in the keybinds when I guess there should have been 3 lol. Within the character Creator I think they were further off, like by almost an order of magnitude, because everything there should have doubled or tripled, by gender and race and all that. So again... 4 'voices' in EA, when there should have been a couple dozen. 2 body phenotypes when there should have been like dozen. If they gave us 6-8 heads to test, should have closer to 24-32. These aren't like magic numbers, it's just what would have been needed to make the options feel on par with the previous entries in BG, but still taken to the next level, in a modern presentation.

Honestly for heads, 200 heads (100 for each gender, and not gated by fantasy race) is what they really need. Because once you hit 100 the numbers do start to work some magic. It would create a real sense of "wow, I can be anyone!?" even if in reality it's more like "found a dozen that I'm totally vibing on! And another dozen that are close enough!" But when you only got a couple you tend to fixate on stuff that's conspicuously absent. Also kinda unfair to put the normal avatars up against the supermodel-y avatars in pursuit of the sublime, but this is a D&D game where character concepts need to be broad, and appeal on multiple levels at once. In that case you want a lot more variety I feel, because you need spread to capture the vibe. I think they're expansion shy, but it wouldn't have been a bad plan to steady drip char creation content on that front in EA. Anyhow water under the bridge, down by the river.

For the emotive aspect mentioned early (PC barks the wrong sorta 1 liner, or you see them do an animated expression that doesn't fit what your character would do) my solution there would have been to make some of the emotes part of the character creation process as well. You know where the player basically provides some inputs for the sorts of common "expressions" they feel suits their character best, and then the cinematics could key off those initial choices. Like you just gotta give the player that little bit of control, and ability to put their thumb on the scale. Basically allowing the player to play casting director a bit there, for their PC's emotes. Choosing the idles, and a set of standard grimaces or whatever. That would have been cool!

Still, for all my gripes, I'm still having so much fun!

I mean even if they didn't fully deliver for me, they still basically delivered. I hope strong sales will ensure a sequel using this same scheme, hopefully improved over time via updates and mods. Much as I want to, I'm reluctant to dive in on Nexus, for fear something in a subsequent hotfix might jack me up. Like I figure they'll be some updates in the weeks ahead, so I'm going vanilla for the first out, but I think I need that party of 6 for my sweet spot hehe. I'm sure that'll be next run. Good times though! Haven't had a blast like this in a while. Ride the lightning!

:devilish:

ps. lol just had my first TPK. First I convince Arka to get revenge on those goblins, with the plan to frame and blame the great escape on her. But my mind control failed and we had to take on the Druid camp at level 2. Got off a couple chromatic orbs, then turned on Gale and shoved him off the ledge, in the hopes he might go boom while we made off on sly. Attempted a leap of doom the other direction, but with no feather fall at the ready yeeting myself off the cliff did not go to plan. Guess I shouldn't have tried to thunder orb so hard lol. We teleported to the camp in mid dirt nap, a flashy of display of storm chaos teleportation! Not too shabby. The mind worm brings us back like groundhog day.

To the below, same! Although I also think a cool approach would be very limited sorta barks and an emote suite (similar to how I imagine a portrait suite might look for the little portrait we click in the interface, where we can set the pose and expression) but just done for the animated avatar. So maybe we get a series of dropdowns with colorful titles that try to flesh out how the character moves or what sort of emote ticks they might have. Similar to how barks worked, I think a little can go a long ways there, but you need a real spread to make it feel like it's hitting all the right notes. I do hope as time goes on that people will find the ways to make custom voicesets and models that hum and can just sorta stitch in to some form of BG fan-edit ultimate cut that never ends, with all the infinite dvd bonus features in the engine. We won't get the cinematic cinematics I don't think, but the in-game stuff is pretty impressive there. Still feels like I want more out of the scene direction as the PC. I haven't tried any of the origins, I just see them as companions and not really what I want from a main. I might get there eventually just to see what that fuss is about, but I feel like Charname has to be the main event to draw me in. I wish all the companion models were available to do doppelgangers hehe. I might just grab Alana's head unlock mod, and kittentails, cause I had that one in EA and it rounds things out nicely, least for the heads and hair, also the threads are pretty great they got some cool getups, but for the voices it's like people would need to record custom sets there or something and build out a library, which doubtless takes a while. Same for the heads. Hoping a year in or so with the Blender, that we'll start to see more and more of those get made. But I'm sure it's fairly tough to get stuff looking aces right away, so that'll be mixed bag. Probably not as mixed as say 2d portraits might be in the older games, in terms of style, since presumably we'll see it pretty cohesive, similar meshes. But I know people got eyes on the elves and halflings, so I really hope they can do more there. Body types and the like. Guess we'll see, but for now back to Faerun! Catch ya next round

Last edited:

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I'll let you know for sure! The second I can find a better keybind combo or we get a cam unlock. It's one of my top issues, like I'm pretty sure it was in my 'first impressions' feedback to their portal on day 1 of the EA launch hehe. Problem is that Larian sorta left their main feedback clearing house like the wildwest for most of their Early Access period. You know, like someone would give some great and very considered feedback in lengthy threads, but then it'd just get buried under memes or whatever. Who knows what was actually seen.

Not to diminish at all what they achieved, cause this is still an excellent game! My view though, is that it's only about 66.6% of what they really needed before bringing the game out of EA. Like across the board. So a 4 character party when it should have 6. 10 Companions when it should have 16. 2 columns in the keybinds when I guess there should have been 3 lol. Within the character Creator I think they were further off, like by almost an order of magnitude, because everything there should have doubled or tripled, by gender and race and all that. So again... 4 'voices' in EA, when there should have been a couple dozen. 2 body phenotypes when they're should have been like dozen. If they gave us 6-8 heads to test, should have closer to 24-32. These aren't like magic numbers, it's just what would have been needed to make the options feel on par with the previous entries in BG, but still taken to the next level, in a modern presentation.

Honestly for heads, 200 heads (100 for each gender, and not gated by fantasy race) is what they really need. Because once you hit 100 the numbers do start to work some magic. It would create a real sense of "wow, I can be anyone!?" even if in reality it's more like "found a dozen that I'm totally vibing on! And another dozen that are close enough!" But when you only got a couple you tend to fixate on stuff that's conspicuously absent. Also kinda unfair to put the normal avatars up against the supermodel-y avatars in pursuit of the sublime, but this is a D&D game where character concepts need to be broad, and appeal on multiple levels at once. In that case you want a lot more variety I feel, because you need spread to capture the vibe. I think they're expansion shy, but it wouldn't have been a bad plan to steady drip char creation content on that front in EA. Anyhow water under the bridge, down by the river.

For the emotive aspect mentioned early (PC barks the wrong sorta 1 liner, or you see them do an animated expression that doesn't fit what your character would do) my solution there would have been to make some of the emotes part of the character creation process as well. You know where the player basically provides some inputs for the sorts of common "expressions" they feel suits their character best, and then the cinematics could key off those initial choices. Like you just gotta give the player that little bit of control, and ability to put their thumb on the scale. Basically allowing the player to play casting director a bit there, for their PC's emotes. Choosing the idles, and a set of standard grimaces or whatever. That would have been cool!

Still, for all my gripes, I'm still having so much fun!

I mean even if they didn't fully deliver for me, they still basically delivered. I hope strong sales will ensure a sequel using this same scheme, hopefully improved over time via updates and mods. Much as I want to, I'm reluctant to dive in on Nexus, for fear something in a subsequent hotfix might jack me up. Like I figure they'll be some updates in the weeks ahead, so I'm going vanilla for the first out, but I think I need that party of 6 for my sweet spot hehe. I'm sure that'll be next run. Good times though! Haven't had a blast like this in a while. Ride the lightning!

:devilish:
To me the biggest gripe I had from the beginning is silent protagonist. For all the money and time Larian put into voice acting and motion capture, this is something I can't understand. I'd rather have just one male and one female voice, but fully voiced. Those silly facial expressions are on my opinion the result of muted main character. At least they could fully voice origin characters...

inryu13

Habitué
I've finally gotten around to playing it and honestly, all your comments, positive and negative, make sense!!!

My partner has also had this bug where she's unable to interact with anything all of a sudden. Loading a save doesn't work and she has to restart the whole game every single time it happens, and it's been happening a lot -.- .

Black Elk

Habitué
If you want black hair, crank the "greying intensity" to 100% and chose a darker valued hue.

black.png

Took me a while to figure that out lol. The default "black raven" or "black brown" default doesn't match the description anywhere close to black unless you tweak the greying.

Top Bottom