Playing Persona 5 for the first time

Chronicler

Habitué
Decided to make this thread to talk about my thoughts as I play through Persona 5. This is my first time so I won't be able to make this a proper tour of the game, but I'm pretty excited and I think there'll be a lot to talk about, so I think it's worth a shot.

Gonna start by copying my comment from another thread here.

Bought Persona 5 for Switch. I'm an hour and a half into it and having a super good time. Haven't jived with a game like this since maybe highschool.

The story isn't afraid to get theatrical in flamboyant ways. I feel like a lot of modern games are all muted colours and stoic leads and stuff, where these Phantom Thieves seem to be intentionally incorporating showmanship into their heists and a villain just showed up wearing nothing but a King's Cape and Crown.

The Battle system is classic Turn Based fair, with mechanics based around figuring out the enemy's weakness and then capitalizing on it. But it looks like it probably gets pretty involved as it goes on. Right off the bat I'm noticing they're giving me weird elements like "curse" and some attacks cast from my hitpoints.

It's... surprisingly adult? Not necessarily in the sense that it seems emotionally mature or anything but there's been a lot of swears and a sexual assault scene and the game's barely started.

The map is kind of hard to navigate. It feels very much like a real modern city. I had to get off the subway just to transfer to another subway. My immediate reaction is that the verisimilitude is actually a little off putting but maybe as I spend more time in the setting it'll grow on me.

So, additional thoughts. This thing has a very anti-establishment theme. I've heard that the Persona Games all sort of start that way but tend to end with the characters all integrating into society properly, so I'm being careful not to expect to much there.

But before the game started, the player character saw a woman being assaulted in the streets, and stepped in. The man said something like "Stay in the kitchen while I run this country", so I think he was implied to be a person of power, like a politician or something. The assailant sues him for intervening, and you get a criminal record as a result.

Your school expels you. Your parents kick you out. They send you to live with this cafe owner, who sets you up with a room above his cafe. He has a home that he returns to after work but you live in the cafe. He's super stern about how he knows you're a troublemaker and if you cause any problems you're right out on the street.

Your new school is the only school that would take a kid like you with a criminal record. They do the same song and dance. If you cause any trouble, you're expelled, and then no school will take you. Nobody seems to have any sympathy for your circumstances at all, and it's unclear if they're even aware of what exactly you did to earn your criminal record.

Your narrative intertwines with this other kid at the school. His nameplate just said "Vulgar Boy" before you learned his name, and I can't actually remember what he's called right now. Vulgar Boy used to be the star of the track team, but then he had some violent incident, and fell out of grace. It seems to have something to do with the PE Teacher who coaches the volleyball team. The coach is a former olympic medalist who has taken their volleyball team to amazing heights, and he basically owns the school. He can do no wrong. He broke the vulgar boy's leg which is why vulgar boy can't run anymore.

We've been venturing into this world. Think they might've called it "The Metaverse". It's between dreams and reality. In this world, the school is a castle, and the PE Coach is its king. It sounds like there's basically two kinds of "real people" in this world. There's people like the coach, who bend reality to match his vision of it. And there's people like us, whose rebellious spirit allows us to resist this vision, and maintain our sense of self within his world.

So, the whole thing with the establishment being corrupt and us not fitting in with it is reflected in this metaverse.

Now, I thought this was going to be a simple thing, where we use our metaverse superpowers to beat him up in the castle and that would somehow fix things in the real world, but my first real surprise is that this doesn't seem to be where it's going. His castle is populated with slaves that he abuses, but the kicker is, they're not real. They're basically figments of his imagination. We don't need to save them.

Rather, the concerning thing about the abuse is that it's reflective of his true heart in the real world, and if this is how he sees his students surely he's treating them poorly too. So our first big mission is to track down the real world counterparts of these slaves, so we can investigate his crimes and try to expose him in the real world. This is obviously a much messier mission than it would've been to just brawl with his super powered inner id. We're basically teenagers who've taken it upon ourselves to be Junior Sleuths and try and take down this authority figure who probably brings in a lot of money for the school. Some of the students on his volleyball team have also been walking around covered in really obvious bandages and bruises so it doesn't seem like this guy has even been putting all that much effort into hiding what he does beyond like plausible deniability.

Last edited:

Chronicler

Habitué
I think a slight grievance I have is that I'm 3 hours into the game and I haven't really been given free reins yet.

I've done I think 3 fights so far. Barely been given an opportunity to become acquainted with the battle system. I keep just kind of being shunted off from cutscene to cutscene.

I don't know if the whole game is like this or if this is tutorial stuff. I remember Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was a very fun game but the tutorial was unskippable and it took about an hour to play it start to finish. Always felt like such a big commitment to start a new game.

I'm reading online that apparently, because of the time system in this game, it can't really be speed run. It takes a flat 102 hours to complete the game. A scooch more than that if you do some sidequests.

I don't know that I believe that right off the bat. I've seen a lot of games that advertised themselves as taking 100 hours to complete but I'm not sure I've ever played one that measured up to that. Tales of Symphonia was this amazingly prolonged saga that advertised itself as having 100 hours of content and even it I'm pretty sure didn't take me much more than 40 hours after really taking my time.

But if it is a 102 hour game then I guess in theory 3 hours to get the ball rolling is just par for the course.

Xzarloxara

Innkeeper
Staff member
I played Persona 4 previously. It was a lot of fun, and a really good story. The story was a murder mystery, and you had to figure out who the culprit was. At first you are only able to figure out who will be killed next and you have to rescue them. Eventually you have to put all the clues together yourself and figure out who is behind it all. The list of suspects you have is every single person you know, so it isn't a very easy thing to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom