Pokémon

Xzarloxara

Innkeeper
Staff member
Messages
249
I, myself, have been a fan of the series since it began. Over the years I have played just about every main series game available outside of Japan, as well as several spin-off games, and have accumulated quite a vast collection as a result. One of my main problems, though, is a shortage of friends who play the games, especially ones that are as fanatical about the series as I am, so I am always on the lookout for friends with whom I can play, trade, and discuss things.
 

Chronicler

Habitué
Messages
432
I wouldn't describe myself as "Fanatical", but I've been known to enjoy a Pokemon from time to time.

I was about the target demographic when Red and Blue came out all those years ago.

Never got a Switch so I haven't played the current generation though. X and Y are probably my favorites, and I'm a big fan of Purrloin. Whenever possible I build my team around optimal use of Purrloin's Assist move.
 

Nimran

Habitué
Messages
199
I’ve been known to play from time to time. I just love coming up with unique teams in every Pokémon game. Sure, I could just go with the strongest team in the game, but where’s the fun in that?

In recent years, I’ve started playing through every game with the same mindset as most of the gym leaders in the series: pick a type and make your entire team have that type. I’ve done a ground-type team for Ruby/Sapphire, a rock-type team for X/Y, a ghost-type team for Sun/Moon, and a bug-type team for Sword/Shield. Haven’t yet decided what I want to do for a Red/Blue or Gold/Silver run.
 

Xzarloxara

Innkeeper
Staff member
Messages
249
@Nimran neat! Would you be interested in communicating with me to trade and battle or anything? I have been having a lot of trouble finding friends to play Pokémon with. Most of my gaming friends either don’t play Pokémon much or don’t own a switch. It would be really nice to have someone finally.
 

Nimran

Habitué
Messages
199
I wouldn’t mind it, but I’ve recently moved on to other things for a bit. I’ll get back to the Pokémon games, as I always do, but for now it’s other things that are occupying my time.
 

Xzarloxara

Innkeeper
Staff member
Messages
249
I wouldn’t mind it, but I’ve recently moved on to other things for a bit. I’ll get back to the Pokémon games, as I always do, but for now it’s other things that are occupying my time.
Sure. I have times like that too. Will you be playing Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl? I am excited for their release this Friday!

Perhaps I could breed a shiny or something for you. Is there anything in particular you would want?
 

Nimran

Habitué
Messages
199
Yep, I’m planning on getting it. It will be the first time I play Diamond/Pearl (didn’t have a DS when they came out the first time).

I appreciate the offer, but I want to sink my teeth into the game first before I think about trading. Once I have a good idea of what I’m dealing with, I’ll probably have an idea of what I want. I can try to get you something you want as well.
 

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,835
Has anyone here tried Pokémon Legends: Arceus yet? From the moment it was announced, this open-world adventure set in feudal Japan faced one constant comparison – to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (one of the most high-rated games of all time). After the game actually released, it became clear that Arceus is different from Zelda.



I wonder what the experience of playing it is like (I don't have a Switch)?
 

Nimran

Habitué
Messages
199
Has anyone here tried Pokémon Legends: Arceus yet? From the moment it was announced, this open-world adventure set in feudal Japan faced one constant comparison – to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (one of the most high-rated games of all time). After the game actually released, it became clear that Arceus is different from Zelda.



I wonder what the experience of playing it is like (I don't have a Switch)?
I’m almost done with it, and I can tell you it’s really fun. The battle system is somewhat different (IMO it’s better) than in the main series of games. It’s still turn-based, but having higher speed matters more, as Pokémon with much higher speed than their opponent can often move twice, or even three times before the opponent can, sort of like in Final Fantasy before they became action rpgs. In addition, Pokémon can ‘master’ moves by leveling up, which allows them to use ‘styles’ to alter the moves—Agile style makes the move faster while sacrificing the move’s power, while Strong style makes the move more powerful, but sacrifices speed. Personally, I found the Agile style more useful, since speed matters so much. The best thing about this change is that the opposing Pokémon can, and often will, use these styles as well, and in a way that actually works to their advantage, which helps fix one of my biggest gripes with the newer Pokémon games: the difficulty, or lack thereof. One thing to note, however, is that it costs 2 of the move’s pp to use a style, so you’ll risk running out sooner than you think if you keep using them.

Pokémon can still only have four moves at any time, but unlike the other games, you can switch them in and out at any time, even in the field. This is good for when you have multiple moves that are super effective against different types of Pokémon.

The story is, well, a Pokémon story. For the sake of not spoiling, I’ll leave it at that. Just don’t expect anything really different in this department.

The new evolutions/regional variants are mostly pretty cool. The starter Pokémon (rowlet, cyndaquil, and oshawott) all have a new final form. I chose rowlet, and I was blown away by the new decidueye’s design. After seeing the other starters’ final forms I still think it’s the best one.

Then there are the alpha Pokémon—bigger, stronger versions of certain Pokémon that are found in the field. Finding one for the first time can be catastrophic, especially n the beginning of the game. I believe the first alpha I encountered was a level 40 rapidash in the first area, when my Pokémon were under level 10. Thankfully, you can still control your character during battle, and you can run away from it, causing the battle to end. That said, if you think you can beat them, or even catch them, you should. It’s very rewarding, with both experience and items that they drop upon being defeated.

Trainer battles are sparse in the game. You get most of your experience and money from battling and catching wild Pokémon. The game encourages you to catch many of one species of Pokémon by changing how the game’s Pokédex works, as well as limiting your income so that you only make money by catching Pokémon. That said, the game also gives you the means to collect materials and make your own items in the field for free, so money isn’t really that important. I only ever used my money to expand my inventory so I can carry around more materials and items that I make myself.

Lastly, you no longer need to trade certain Pokémon in order to evolve them anymore. Just get your hands on the specific item needed to evolve them and you can do it. And yes, you can find those items in the field as well, but they’re very rare.
 
Top Bottom