RPG CHOICE

shmity72

Habitué
I've been using groq ai...

Role-playing games (RPGs) can be popular for a variety of reasons, and the illusion of choice is certainly one factor. Here are some reasons why RPGs are popular:

1. Immersive storytelling: RPGs often have engaging, immersive storylines that allow players to explore virtual worlds, interact with non-playable characters (NPCs), and make choices that affect the story's outcome.

keyword CHOICE. ....it's the question that drives us Neo...

Attachments

• yoda 4.jpg
    yoda 4.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 12

JustKneller

Habitué
make choices that affect the story's outcome

Choice is something I think about when designing a game more so than any other element. However, I'm not thinking about choices to affect the story outcome. That's easy. That's basically just interactive fiction. However, meaningful gameplay choices are a much harder concept to tackle. I do feel like choice is often an illusion in games. When I used to do design consulting, I would often see these (unecessarily) elaborate gameplay systems. However, once you simplified the equation, so to speak, the strong/right choice was often pretty obvious.

For example, as much as I love the Final Fantasy games, I don't feel like there's really any choice there (aside from FF: Tactics). The storyline is mostly linear (which is fine, I'm cool with that), but the gameplay (i.e. combat) is also extremely simplistic. You generally have five "choices": Fight, Magic, Item, Defend, Escape. I've almost never used the last two, and more often than anything just choose "Fight". Resources are limited for Magic and Item, and the latter's relevance is almost entirely dependent on context (and it's obvious when those contexts pop up). There are very few points in the entire series where anything but grinding "Fight" is the right thing to do.

Maybe ironically, I have a hard time finding meaningful gameplay choices in RPGs, computer or tabletop. The gameplay systems in RPGs tend to rely heavily on games of chance (and this kind of ties into the luck thread that was posted recently). There are things you can do to to nudge odds in your favor, but often times those things are pretty obvious (wear better armor, get a bigger weapon, etc.). There's not a whole lot to analyze and puzzle out. In the end, these games tend to rely on combat (which is fine), and combat is often just a stats game of hit point attrition.

I'm just spitballing, but It think it would require that the core resolution system includes multiple paths to victory and (particularly for computer games) the opposition is able to emerge an awareness of a) the path the player intends b) its ability to thwart that path and c) identifying the strongest path for themselves with this in mind and being able to follow that course. That's probably a lot to code for video game AI.

On the other hand, I see this work out pretty well in both board and video games, just not RPGs. Scythe, Pandemic, and Eldritch Horror are all board games that manage multiple priorities well. I would say the same for games like Age of Empires or the Civ series. I really think about my choices when playing these games and those choices matter. It seems to work well on "large scale" simulations, but I don't see why that can't carry over somehow to the relatively small scale combats of RPGs.

But maybe it's a factor of time. In all of these games mentioned, meaning doesn't come from a singular choice, or even a handful of choices, but the amalgamantion of those choices into your overall strategy. It pretty much takes the whole game for those choices to matter, and those games can take hours to resolve. RPG combats are encounter based, and for the sake of flow of play, are generally not meant to have too many turns or take that long. Perhaps it's just harder to create meaning in such a compressed time-space.

Black Elk

Habitué
I'm all for the spitball! hehe

These days I take issue mostly with the R in cRPGs, cause it seems to me that the sorts of roles we get to step into are largely similar across most games of this type. Character is expressed mainly through what the player character gets to say. So whatever mood or sense of spirit can be captured by something like a voiced line, or just the plain text word for word. We all know how the dialog trees tend to look. Usually there's a naive response coupled with a crass response, or sarcasm paired off with earnest, things like that. This fits pretty well with the limitations as they used to exist, but what I would be interested in is player choice within character creation that went a bit further than that to catch up. What I think would be particularly cool for a roleplaying game would be to start with an avatar who is essentially mute, and then see how far one can get in terms of character just from that alone, like via mask acting or pantomime conventions.

So having the character defined by how they move and emote and gesture rather than by their voice. Or put another way, to make "voice" encompass all that stuff too. I think that would be an interesting kind of characterization to explore. In the same way that a player usually has to select from a series of branch dialog choices or disembodied bark-sets, something similar could be done for dynamic figurative tropes. To use an analogy from comics, focusing on the action frames rather than the little text bubbles or thought clouds.

I imagine something very simple for a start, say selecting idles and some stock facial animations to convey the character's baseline. Maybe how they take their seat, or how they carry themselves just standing or walking around. I want my character to have certain ticks, but ticks that I get to choose. This could all be done before we even get to the point where we select a voice set for the specific sound, or a face for the specific look, or anything in wardrobe and makeup.

It could start with the body and then zoom-in, incrementally, as the player begins to flesh this all out in Char creation. Starting from the basics like gesture, and then going into the deets. Just as if one were trying to paint a character portrait, they might start with broad stroke concepts like that, then iterate once they found something that grabbed them.

Handled in that way, an RPG might be able to achieve something like emergent Character, to complement emergent gameplay, but where the character who emerges is recognizably riffing off the player's initial inputs. Where the player sets the initial parameters, maybe in some sort of dimly lit cave skiagram scenario, where they can pretend to be Praxiteles casting shadows on the wall. If the player can start to build a concept that works on that level, like at that basic level of the silhouette, then by the time we step out into the light and see it all come together, that character would feel uniquely invented. Like as if the player character really did innovate their role and can see their choices expressed, visually.

I've never seen such a thing, at least not in a SP type campaign, (as opposed to say an MMO where it's more important for various roles to feel somehow differentiated, just so you're not constantly running into yourself everywhere hehe.) It seems like a thing that could be done though, especially now that I've been playing BG3 for so long, and can sort of piece together what makes one particular bit character feel notable compared to some other bit character that maybe doesn't, or among the mains the same thing comparing say companions to the protagonists. In that game the companions got all the flare and all the nuance. The companions all get first dibs and end up like very well dressed Potato heads, whereas charname is sorta just left picking from whatever was leftover in the bucket of parts. For games like D&D I've seen version of this at various points, like for digital table top charsheets or whatever, but I haven't seen it animated out and actually brought into a game. I'm not sure why really, cause I think it's almost stand alone. Meaning you can almost scrape by without even needing a particularly compelling campaign or a story per se, provided the character creator is immersive enough. NWN basically demonstrated that as proof of concept, but if such a thing actually could be married to a compelling campaign/story then it's on hit right?

I honestly don't know how many technical artists one would have to hire, probably quite a few, because the whole idea would be to have artists create the tool that then allows the average player to be their own character artists. Not exactly paint by number, but sort of like that. I think it would require a particular skillset to take what a portrait painter or character actor does, and translate that so that the language/grammar that an artist would just use. Like the main things already exist in modelling and animation and rigging suites but those are all very complex things to use. Presented in a way that a non specialized player could actually use and made part of the initial gameplay I think that would take off.

Not a hodgepodge of sliders, but an actual matrix of gestural and emotive concepts that is readily adapted and presented to the player as archetypes. The conventions from cartoons, or comics or slapstick silent era cinema more or less. I think it should start there, at like the level of Rocky and Bullwinkle. You can't make it avant garde or all extra idiosyncratic and new wavy, until the basic tropes are established. I think most RPG players can probably vibe on that, because most characters are going to riff on some kind of familiar archetype, probably coming from more established stories in novels or movies, just where the player gets to put their own spin on it. I don't think anyone would be able to create such a thing at one go, seems like something that would have to get built over time in successive waves, but I've yet to see the foundation on it even. I just want to glimpse it one of these days, in a game that has sufficient staying power to keep that concept humming beyond just a single curated campaign.

Weirdly I feel like 4x games sometimes can pull this off, but they do it at the level of like civilizations and armadas, rather than individuals, which is kinda funny. Just cause of the AoE and Civ mentions, or like how to have a computer GM who's looking to thwart our alternative timeline and throw obstacles in our way on the fly, that feel like they are somehow catered towards us specifically. I thought BG3, sorry to always keep brining it up, just that it remains top of mind, but I think BG3 did manage to touch on the idea with the Daisy/Dream guardian set up. So sorta like, not just defining your character by how they look and sound, but by what they dream of at night. But then they didn't really follow up on that in any terribly meaningful way. An interesting concept might have been something like creating ones own nemesis, or their own Yoshimo, but then not knowing how that all will coalesce in the end to form the big reveals, or surprises down the road. Or just that whole idea that everything which is chosen in character creation or in the prologue would have knock ons that just kept knocking on the entire game, all the way to the finish. In pathfinder we had the mythic paths, but then the framing there was sorta more frontloaded. I think it was almost too much there at the outset, and perhaps not as emergent as one would want for a more general sort of audience that isn't as familiar with planning out their character build/arch - or with the same sorta systems familiarity that a game like pathfinder assumes the player has. What I mean is rather, the character creation stuff that doesn't even require it, cause it's operating more on the level of like universal/generic character tropes, and not stuff like say class or fantasy race or level progression.

I just keep coming back to this idea, that the player is somehow their own casting director and the character creation process is like some version of an audition, and we get all that sorted with the look and the voice in broad strokes, but then it keeps on going. We go from casting director to voice coach and motion coach, hair and makeup, wardrobe and then the really important decisions like which sword hehe. The whole thing should be like a campaign unto itself and maybe take several sessions just to get through that and the prologue. By the time the lights dim and the show begins for real, we'd already be halfway to total immersion.

Anyhow, I might have switched from spitballs to paper airplanes or jacks or something mid-post, but anyway, yeah. Just were head ran hehe

Last edited:

Black Elk

Habitué
ps. sorry rambled too long there lol.

I'm still trying to think how to name or frame it, something like actor raised eyebrow but the Hexidecimal version of that lol. Performance capture, of the sort we've seen in many games, but gamified into the character creation, how the avatar is visualized. Maybe you design the hands and the feet down to the gloves and fingers, boots and toes, and all the stuff above the head. For all those scenes like at the mirror, or ripple in still water reflecting back on the player, so they can see the choices and the threads. They could probably just hire dancers and players would spend like an hour choosing whatever animation moves they'd maybe only get to use once in the entire campaign, but then when that part happened it would be like 'oh wow, they went there even!' I could see it, but still kinda only darkly. I think the challenge would sorta be in how to make that all descriptive at a glance. Like probably a dozen columns and rows, with technical language or creative shorthand's to help the player track it out. I keep trying to think of how to storyboard such a thing but struggle to communicate it. The closest I can get to it is maybe something like a viewfinder, between this and this...

335369-1600x1066-vintage-antique-view-masters-51103716.jpg

Stereoscope_003.jpg

probably cause I watching this earlier for some random reason

With the various wheels and knobs and whatnot, while we cycle through the matrix hehe

Last edited:

shmity72

Habitué
ps. sorry rambled too long there lol.

I'm still trying to think how to name or frame it, something like actor raised eyebrow but the Hexidecimal version of that lol. Performance capture, of the sort we've seen in many games, but gamified into the character creation, how the avatar is visualized. Maybe you design the hands and the feet down to the gloves and fingers, boots and toes, and all the stuff above the head. For all those scenes like at the mirror, or ripple in still water reflecting back on the player, so they can see the choices and the threads. They could probably just hire dancers and players would spend like an hour choosing whatever animation moves they'd maybe only get to use once in the entire campaign, but then when that part happened it would be like 'oh wow, they went there even!' I could see it, but still kinda only darkly. I think the challenge would sorta be in how to make that all descriptive at a glance. Like probably a dozen columns and rows, with technical language or creative shorthand's to help the player track it out. I keep trying to think of how to storyboard such a thing but struggle to communicate it. The closest I can get to it is maybe something like a viewfinder, between this and this...

View attachment 8115

View attachment 8116

probably cause I watching this earlier for some random reason

With the various wheels and knobs and whatnot, while we cycle through the matrix hehe
Keep going. This is one of your best posts. consider the man vs machine. the man being the imagination and the machine being the UI. delineate. I like what you're on about.

and blessings to your family.

~Jason

JustKneller

Habitué
So whatever mood or sense of spirit can be captured by something like a voiced line, or just the plain text word for word. We all know how the dialog trees tend to look. Usually there's a naive response coupled with a crass response, or sarcasm paired off with earnest, things like that.
This got me thinking of Pillars of Eternity. Specifically, your attributes affected not only your combat performance but also dialogue choices. On one hand, I thought it was a clever use of attributes, but on the other, I feel like it took choice away. That is, if you wanted a character that had a particular disposition, it pigeonholed how your character functioned. I had a lot of issues with it as my preferred party composed of mostly controllers and tanks, but if I created a damage dealer, it predisposed me to play a verbally aggressive character.

I think this approach was meant to be an evolution of the dialogue tree system, but it came with other problems. I don't think it's a lost cause, though. If we're talking about the "R" in RPGs, this is the kind of thing that gets evoked in the story and stories are usually a combination of descriptive text, character action, and dialogue (the latter two being the PCs contribution).

I honestly don't know how many technical artists one would have to hire, probably quite a few, because the whole idea would be to have artists create the tool that then allows the average player to be their own character artists.
I think this is the biggest obstacle to your idea. Essentially, adding customizable body language to the core visual elements of a character would require and additional (animation) team. However, with the way the industry is (mal)functioning, it seems they can't even sustain what they are doing currently, never mind add in an extra cutting edge tech element.

In terms of increasing the "R" in RPGs, realistically, I see this happening more with much smaller scale indie designers, likely manifesting as a character's dialogue choices contributing to larger scale contexts (rather than just being an essentially meaningless path to the same destination). This kind of thing is much easier to code, and you wouldn't even need additional teams for it, just a clever designer that can work out the system.

Black Elk

Habitué
Yeah even at the level of a static visualization for the character portrait/avatar it feels like it would be pretty hard to pull off, let alone to somehow animate such a thing and give it the breath of life with a performance.

This is pretty left field, but I thought it was funny cause it shows Calliope and Homer playing a high stakes game of 'figure it out' right in the middle square... lol

thalia and melpomene.png

calliopegame.png

I think I was trying to think of ways to visualize/quantify the somewhat vague D&D attribute Charisma, but done up more like choosing a school of specialized wizardry in older editions. You know where it's like pick two, or maybe there's an opposition school, or something along those lines. I like the tick tac toe version, maybe more straightforward than the radial presentation, just cause it fits nicely in that simple grid like the old alignment stuff, but just a different sort of riff.

KosMuses.png

For the two tone choices, maybe something like that. Like where the player picks their character's mask, Comedy or Tragedy, and then that feeds into how the character would visualize in some kind of Globe character matrix? With the Garricks off to one side, the Eldoths on the other, and some knock ons down the road hehe

newyorkpubliclibrary.jpg

Or just that idea where the player chooses first between socks or buskins... As like the very first choice. To set up their dramatic persona on it, in the most basic of terms.

thalia_flora.jpg

In trying to think about how it might look I keep arbitrarily starting with something like this... Headshots and radial reels I guess, which would capture a range of expressive types that the player can key off or use to tune.

I think it sorta almost works. So take something like so, but also with the prompt "make it Goblins," except instead of prompting some generative AI, do it with the huge team of human technical modelling artists who could actually parse a request like that hehe. Not sure why I'm choosing Edér for this but whatever lol

Eder-portrait.png
Fezzerk.png

Then repeat those sorts of morphs for each of the fantasy races, say Elves or Ogres or whatever, to get some archetypal anchor points for a face and figure and general character morphologies. Hair and Wardrobe you could maybe imagine is being built out sorta at the same time with a hundred hands going at once in front of the magic vanity mirror.

mombi.png

Set it all up inside Baba Yaga's hut with the glow skulls?!

ivan_bilibin.jpg

And that'd just be for the bard stronghold

Trying to imagine it for every permutation would doubtless take a long ass time. Alas, I'm not into live service really. I want someone to make a crazy thing like that for the small party rather than the massive one.

Seems like a tall order though, for sure. Still, it's the sort of thing I'm after hehe

Last edited:
Top Bottom