- Messages
- 1,835
I've wanted to get it off my chest for a while. The trigger was this Reddit thread about Minecraft and its upcoming voting for the next mob added to the game. Lots of players there use the following phrase(s):
"will Mojang add really interesting plants?" "If Mojang only added things that were “interesting” "Mojang really didn’t try this year"
Mojang is the game developer company title.
So what I'm not ok with is this exact approach where gamers refer to developers by their company name. Change that to e.g. "will Mojang designers add really interesting plants?" "If Mojang designers only added things that were “interesting” "Mojang designers really didn’t try this year", and the sentences suddenly make much more sense.
A game dev company is not a "person". It's an entity consisting of people, and these people serve different purposes, work in different fields, and have different expertise.
Such examples exist everywhere. "Game dev company title is good/bad" "I'm waiting until game dev company title fixes its X" "I wonder if game dev company title ever thought about Y" etc etc.
In every case, it would be much fairer and more correct to use a certain noun. E.g. notice the difference between saying "CD Project Red leadership team needs to make amends for the launch of Cyberpunk 2077" instead of "CD Project Red plain sucks". "Particularly, I was not fond of the Obsidian team working on The Outer Worlds and prefer the work by another Obsidian team which previously worked on the Pillars of Eternity titles" instead of "Obsidian games are bland".
There is always a person, or a collective of people, responsible for this or that task, project etc, not the whole company. Be it a design team, a leadership team etc - target your point more precisely.
From the industry insight point of view, I can say that reviews and opinions like "Mojang really didn’t try this year" don't really help going forward. If the feedback said it was the designers' fault, then the leads would make sure the next time designers do their job better. Otherwise, they will ask themselves, what "this Mojang" really is. And quickly come to the conclusion that "I'm not Mojang, you're not Mojang, so whatever".
When people say e.g. "I don't like Larian humour", what do they really mean? A much more useful would be a review that says: "In this particular case, under this and that circumstances, I didn't like how writers wrote this particular funny response".
The opposite side to this argument is when gamers target specific game developers (remember how many targeted a certain writer during any last gaming scandal you read about). It's rarely about an individual, but more about a team. Writers often work in groups, and they also have a supervisor. A producer, or even a CEO, or at least, a studio director, or a creative director, will manage other writers. So target your complaint appropriately. It won't be "company title is bad" or "this writer is bad", it's that you have a complaint about writing in this particular game and that's why.
Every game developer company has different departments: QA, design, leadership, LiveOps, etc. Often, companies have even different sets of teams working on different games, so criticism towards one game doesn't mean the same issues could be present in other games by the same company developed at the same time. When you refer to an exact team, it would make your point more valid and trustworthy.
"will Mojang add really interesting plants?" "If Mojang only added things that were “interesting” "Mojang really didn’t try this year"
Mojang is the game developer company title.
So what I'm not ok with is this exact approach where gamers refer to developers by their company name. Change that to e.g. "will Mojang designers add really interesting plants?" "If Mojang designers only added things that were “interesting” "Mojang designers really didn’t try this year", and the sentences suddenly make much more sense.
A game dev company is not a "person". It's an entity consisting of people, and these people serve different purposes, work in different fields, and have different expertise.
Such examples exist everywhere. "Game dev company title is good/bad" "I'm waiting until game dev company title fixes its X" "I wonder if game dev company title ever thought about Y" etc etc.
In every case, it would be much fairer and more correct to use a certain noun. E.g. notice the difference between saying "CD Project Red leadership team needs to make amends for the launch of Cyberpunk 2077" instead of "CD Project Red plain sucks". "Particularly, I was not fond of the Obsidian team working on The Outer Worlds and prefer the work by another Obsidian team which previously worked on the Pillars of Eternity titles" instead of "Obsidian games are bland".
There is always a person, or a collective of people, responsible for this or that task, project etc, not the whole company. Be it a design team, a leadership team etc - target your point more precisely.
From the industry insight point of view, I can say that reviews and opinions like "Mojang really didn’t try this year" don't really help going forward. If the feedback said it was the designers' fault, then the leads would make sure the next time designers do their job better. Otherwise, they will ask themselves, what "this Mojang" really is. And quickly come to the conclusion that "I'm not Mojang, you're not Mojang, so whatever".
When people say e.g. "I don't like Larian humour", what do they really mean? A much more useful would be a review that says: "In this particular case, under this and that circumstances, I didn't like how writers wrote this particular funny response".
The opposite side to this argument is when gamers target specific game developers (remember how many targeted a certain writer during any last gaming scandal you read about). It's rarely about an individual, but more about a team. Writers often work in groups, and they also have a supervisor. A producer, or even a CEO, or at least, a studio director, or a creative director, will manage other writers. So target your complaint appropriately. It won't be "company title is bad" or "this writer is bad", it's that you have a complaint about writing in this particular game and that's why.
Every game developer company has different departments: QA, design, leadership, LiveOps, etc. Often, companies have even different sets of teams working on different games, so criticism towards one game doesn't mean the same issues could be present in other games by the same company developed at the same time. When you refer to an exact team, it would make your point more valid and trustworthy.