What game are you currently playing?

m7600

Habitué
Currently playing Demon's Crest, a classic SNES game.

Screenshot from 2023-06-16 19-36-20.png

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
The Steam Next Fest still has 1.5 days left. I'm playing as many demos as I could. Here are a few highlights:

Broken Roads. I mentioned this game as my first pick in the thread about games I'm looking forward to in November 2021.

Absolutely loved the demo. Fallout 1&2 fans, you can't miss it! It also has some kind of a mix between Pillars of Eternity (but without golden backer NPC texts!), and Disco Elysium, in a fresh setting (I mean Australia, post-apocalyptic is not fresh per se, but the Australian culture and background are not used often). It's a big demo, I enjoyed roleplaying my character who was focused on Charisma and Agility. The game offers exploration but doesn't overdo it. Offers many NPCs but doesn't make it an unreadable wall of text. Offers a lot of systems, but (after character creation) doesn't throw them all on the player, slowly opening up and explaining how they actually act based on the events in the game.

Gord.

A fresh take on a party survival game. I think it can be a good game for those who haven't played survival games much but don't mind a world as dark and grim as The Witcher. You play as a settlement (5-10 people, RTS style). You get to know their strong and weak sides. Slavic folklore and music, a very authentic atmosphere. A demo is even a bit longer than Broken Roads.

The Invincible.

I'm intrigued. Very different from other games I usually play, but I loved it. The attention to detail is great, and I can't wait to find out what is going on after the events of the demo. Not many sci-fi games around, difficult to ignore this one. First-person is very immersive.

En Garde.

Very quick and very simple. A bit simpler than I wanted, but still very fun. Spanish music, atmosphere, and humor.

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
After losing my long time gaming PC I had to resort to my long forgotten tablet. Lo and behold, the BG enhanced editions are on it! So I download them, swiftly learn how to transport my mod lists, and am having a blast since it has been years since I touched them after obsessing over them for just as long.

I am now inspired to make a few new NPC mods, something I haven't done in a long time, but if I do get around to it they will be for the Black Pits. So short and sweet and off the beaten path.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Got a bit bored with Diablo 4 and decided to give Dragon Age: Inquisition a second chance. This time I set some ground rules to avoid repeating the same scenario than last year.
  • Focus on main story. I'm going to push the main story, mainly to rush through the infamous Hinterlands, which I felt were bloated and tedious last time I played.
  • Set difficulty to Easy. I hate camera in DAI, and in result I feel combat is clunky and difficult to navigate. Tactical camera doesn't help at all, because it's closely zoomed in and doesn't show the whole battle field, which completely kills its purpose. I have set companions' AI on, difficulty on Easy and won't bother with combat much. Experiencing the story is my priority.
  • No plans for 100% run. I don't care to complete this game fully, as I find many side quests dull, fedex type stuff. If I find some quest interesting, I'll do it, but won't bother with it. The asem with finding all shards, or closing all rifts. If I find myself close to one, I'll do it, but I don't want to backtrack constantly. I may hunt for codex entries more, though, as I find DA lore one of the best I've seen.
I plan to finish the game before BG3 release. If there is a time, I'll squeeze Pentiment after DAI, but BG3 is my top priority for 2023, so as soon as early access (of release build) is active, I'll jump in.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I've decided to come back to Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I played this game for ~5 hours in 2021 because of all the industry recommendations. I enjoyed the binaural sound (one NEEDS to play this in headphones) and found the whole setting unique. Throughout the game, Senua suffers from psychosis and can hear a variety of voices, with some seeking to instill terror, and others looking to offer her guidance. I left, because at that time I wasn't ready for solving puzzles (the gameplay is an exploration with puzzle-solving and occasional fighting as you learn the story). Now it's time to finish the game, especially with the sequel releasing in 2024 according to the Xbox showcase trailer from the beginning of June.

Set in a dark fantasy world inspired by Norse mythology and Celtic culture, the game follows Senua, a Pict warrior who must make her way to Helheim by defeating otherworldly entities and facing challenges, in order to rescue the soul of her dead lover from the goddess Hela.

20230703173429_1.jpg

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I've decided to come back to Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I played this game for ~5 hours in 2021 because of all the industry recommendations. I enjoyed the binaural sound (one NEEDS to play this in headphones) and found the whole setting unique. Throughout the game, Senua suffers from psychosis and can hear a variety of voices, with some seeking to instill terror, and others looking to offer her guidance. I left, because at that time I wasn't ready for solving puzzles (the gameplay is an exploration with puzzle-solving and occasional fighting as you learn the story). Now it's time to finish the game, especially with the sequel releasing in 2024 according to the Xbox showcase trailer from the beginning of June.

Set in a dark fantasy world inspired by Norse mythology and Celtic culture, the game follows Senua, a Pict warrior who must make her way to Helheim by defeating otherworldly entities and facing challenges, in order to rescue the soul of her dead lover from the goddess Hela.

View attachment 5535

View attachment 5535
Nice! And Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is currently on a big discount on Steam, so it's at least worth checking.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
I'm playing Street Fighter 6, believe it or not. It's my first fighting game, and first non-RPG, non-Civ game of any kind. I play Lily.
lily_ss03-f1f7.jpg

It's been an interesting experiment. I feel I'm doing reasonably well (Silver 2, a month in) but the learning curve has felt steep. Has anyone else tried picking up a new genre, and in particular a reaction time based genre, later in life, after 35?

m7600

Habitué
Would you recommend SF6, @Alesia_BH ? I heard a lot of negative things about it, so I haven't tried it yet. I think that the street fighter series peaked at SF3, but that's just an entirely subjective statement on my part.

As for picking up a new genre, I've been meaning to get Subnautica for a while now, I'll probably try it out in the next few days.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Yay for new experiences. That's the only way, to try new stuff, to see what you like and why, what you don't like and also why, and try another new stuff again.

Not sure about "after 35" as I'm only 36 y.o., but I can definitely say I played my first non-RPG, non-strategy games only much later in my "gaming life", and they opened my eyes a lot. Games like Portal, Wolfenstein shooters, Death Stranding, Control, Stardew Valley, It Takes Two, they changed me (not only as a gamer but as a person) forever. I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Tagging @O_Bruce here for Street Fighter games and a reaction time based genre (thinking of Monster Hunter).

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Would you recommend SF6, @Alesia_BH ? I heard a lot of negative things about it, so I haven't tried it yet. I think that the street fighter series peaked at SF3, but that's just an entirely subjective statement on my part.
It's super-fun, and it's highly accessible. As a newcomer to the genre I've been enjoying it.

The critiques are mostly coming from fighting game vets. SF6 has simplified the mechanics, in the interest of catering to the sizable casual gamer market. This is probably a smart business decision, but it does compromise the experience for veteran players.

As a new player, I'm on the other side of the fence. I appreciate the simplified input style, and the existence of easy to use characters, like Honda and Lily.

The rumblings are likely to get worse if and when the Classic input style is largely supplanted by Modern. New players are picking up Modern in droves, and the high level Japanese players have started switching to it. Judging from the Japanese Pro League matches I've watched, it's just a matter of time before Westerns start switching, too. Even at the highest levels, the speed of Modern input creates problems for Classic players that more than compensate for the 20% damage nerf- that's how it looks as things stand, at least.

In the end, I it depends on where you are and what you're looking for. If you've been playing Street Fighter since the early days, and are looking for a refined test of skill, SF6 may feel offensively "scrubby" to you. If you're new to the genre, like me, it's a grand ole time. Rumbling good fun.

Cheers,

A.

O_Bruce

Habitué
Hah, thank you for tagging, @Antimatter . Though I don't know how much of a help I can be. As a kid, I played both 2d and 3d platformers, rpgs/arpgs and some strategy games. So it's not like I started playing movement/reaction-based games in my adulthood. Although I can say that once in a while picking a game outside of your usual comfort zone can be a really rewarding experience. Since @Antimatter mentioned the game already, I can add that I owe Monster Hunter probably my peak gaming moment in terms of feeling of satisfaction/reward/relief after overcoming what felt like an invincible, unbreakable wall.

Another benefit of mixing up genres of games you play is that, in my opinion, you start to appreciate the games in each genre more. If I was to play rpgs all the time, like a Baldur's Gate, then each of my playthroughs would be just out of habit, like an autopilot perhaps. But by changing genres and thus experiences, things are feeling much more fresh to me.

As for SF6 in particular, I have heard overwhelmingly positive about it. Even solo players have apparently plenty to do in that game.
For the simplified imputs, I don't know exactly how they look like now, but - even though I rate my skills as beginner - I don't think inputs are the problem in accessibility for games like Street Fighter. Because the input wasn't that hard, and even if you make them easier, you'll still probably get bodied online. Why? Because you'll still need to know the machups (and these comes only with experience), you'll need to know what you and your opponent can do and what your opponent is likely to do. You need to be able to perform combos with 2-3 frames of link between them. And so on, and so on. Overall, I don't see inputs as something that gatekeeps people from trying the game. And even if they are simplified, there's still much more to the game than that.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Thank you for your perspective, O_Bruce.

If you tried the Modern input system, your opinion would probably change, at least to an extent. It's a difference maker- especially when deployed with the simpler characters, Honda and Lily. I'm new to the genre, and after less than a month I'm at rank Silver 2, which corresponds to about the 50% percentile.

What I'm doing is insanely simple. I don't really know the matchups. I only use three normal attacks: crouch light, crouch heavy and jump heavy. Aside from that I use throws and specials that can be activated with one button and one direction, along with automated combos that require holding down a button while pressing another button two or three times, depending on the desired combo.

If Lily and Honda weren't around, and there wasn't a Modern input option, it would take a lot more time and effort to get to where I am, the middle of the pack. I haven't tried earlier editions of Street Fighter, but based on what I know I'm pretty certain the learning curve was a lot harsher for new players.

Cheers,

A.

Last edited:
Top Bottom