AI Art

O_Bruce

Habitué
I am very concerned about how AI art would screw over actual artists, but this concern diminished a bit today. Why? Because in a niche I make art in, I see that AI-made images, while appearing pretty, look style-wise nearly the same. Roughly the same shading style, contrast, generic elements that don't fit specific scene/characters etc. With that in mind, I think actual artists would be still needed to some extent.

With the art station and their response, I congratulate them on their inability to read the situation and inability to hear their actual user base.

Also also, related to AI art, I recently heard a podcast in which I learned that AI generated music, for example, uses public domain and voluntary work in their database, which seems fair. Too bad that this isn't the case when it comes to images, digital drawing/paintings etc. Double standards. I have no idea why musical artists are respected, but illustrators are not.

I also applaud myself for keeping my thoughts on the matter civil, given that, like gun, I have one trigger and that is AI "art".

m7600

Habitué
Lately I've been trying to learn more about the legal aspects of AI Art. All of this is very new, so I don't know if there are any legal precedents to begin with. What I did find is that some artists did another protest, one in which they used AI software to generate images of Mickey Mouse in the hopes of getting Disney to file a lawsuit against the creators of AI art generators like Midjourney and DALL-E. Here's an article that covers that topic:

m7600

Habitué
I've been really busy with work lately (tons of stuff to do during March/April, as usual), but I just wanted to drop by and say hi to everyone!

Also, I saw this conversation the other day between a programmer and an AI (ChatGPT-3) and it genuinely freaked me out at times. I know that I'm being irrational, because the AI is not conscious, nor self-aware, in any way. It's just a computer program, more complex than (but not different in nature) to a chess AI, or to any video game AI. But the conversation still gave me the creeps nonetheless. ChatGPT-3 is extremely convincing in its simulation of self-awareness.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
So major news.

"Chinese tech giants, such as Tencent and NetEase, that own large video-game publishing divisions, have been researching how to cut game development costs with artificial intelligence for years. NetEase’s Naraka: Bladepoint, an action-adventure battle royale game, rolled out a temporary feature in March that allowed players to create new “skins” for avatars using the company’s in-house AI program. Following a criminal investigation against a prominent voice actor, allegedly because of a business dispute, gaming companies miHoYo and NetEase used AI to generate the voices of his characters.

A spokesperson at NetEase told Rest of World the company had applied AI-based technologies to assist game animation, and the models are trained using its proprietary or licensed resources. “Our goal has been to develop better tools to enable our talented teams of art designers and illustrators to create assets faster or more efficiently during the game development process,” the spokesperson said."

m7600

Habitué
Slightly off topic, since it's not about art, but it's about AI. Normally I don't take stuff like this seriously, but I think that The Guardian is still a relatively reputable source. The article is about the results of a simulation, real people were not harmed in this experiment:

alice_ashpool

Habitué
as a teacher, who lives in a permanent "last days of rome" fugue, every new little bit of awfulness just seems to elicit an "I told you so" sigh. But yeah, colour me a luddite - leave you "AI art" at the door thanks, and you can take your mobile phones, today's internet and video games too if I had to make the "hard choices" about "today's technology" for everyones' common good 💀💀💀

Just throw it out all and start again imo.

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
All new technologies had that effect... old professions died; new ones showed up. It will suck if your job no longer exists because of AI but in 50 years nobody will remember it was once a problem.
Well, the problem with AI is unprecedented scale. Entire industries may be wiped out. In an oligarchy, who do you think the technology is going to serve? Will our society be here in 50 years? Collective memory may be a moot point, either due to extinction, complete societal collapse, or the emergence of a new order - rising from the convergence of AI and digital media in a post-truth world.

One one hand yeah, on the other hand, there are areas in which literally nobody asked for to be replaced by AI
This. Do we want a future in which you can never be a writer, a teacher, a designer, an artist? But it doesn't stop there: in conjunction with digital media and robotics, AI has the potential to eliminate the need for just about every occupation there is. At some point, you have to ask what the meaning of life is.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Once upon a time, before I took an interest in investing and retired early, I was an academic. I worked with mathematical models of human genetic and cultural evolution. Dual inheritance theory, as it's called.

I came to the conclusion that we humans aren't really in control, and that we never will be, since cultural evolution moves so much faster than genetic evolution. On the time scales of cultural evolution, the human evolved psychology is a static fitness surface that cultural evolution can exploit with ease.

Between group selection, acting at the level of social systems, selects for cultural schemas that manipulate and organize individual humans in such a way as to advance the interests of the overarching social-cultural complex adaptive system. It's not a coincidence that the major religious systems that survived the ancient era emphasized population growth, in group kindness and out group nastiness. It's also not a coincidence that the modern era witnessed the emergence of social systems that prioritize economic growth above all else and rationalize away counter indications. These are all adaptations, resulting from selection acting on cultural information, vis-a-vis between group competition. We are not in control. We're merely the substrate of the process.

It's comforting to think that we can restrict AI, but any society that does will just be outcompeted by the societies that do not. Not in the near term, and not when we're talking about art and such alone, but in the long term, on time scales of hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of years.

Long term, it strikes me as inevitable that culture/technology bound complex adaptive systems will almost entirely replace DNA bound complex adaptive systems, with our particular species persisting in a state of subservient symbiosis, if it continues to exist at all. We're in the early-mid phase of that transition now, with the enthalpic input demands and entropic venting of our cultural-technological systems growing exponentially, parallel to rapid loss of diversity and mass in the biosphere. And in all honesty, I don't think there's anything anyone can do about it. A day will come when DNA is seen as an outcompeted and archaic information transmission vector. We're the facilitators of the transition, nothing more.

That, in case anyone is wondering, is why I decided to retire early and spend my life hiking and goofing off. I might as well have fun and appreciate biodiversity while it exists. It's not like I can change anything.

A.

Last edited:

alice_ashpool

Habitué
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
That's a lovely poem, Alice, but it's terrible advice, lol.

Raging at the inevitable is a recipe for misery. It's better to see it, comprehend it and, to the extent that resistance is preferable to acquiescence, approach the endeavor in a spirit of laughter and wisdom.

Where life is the cause, resistance is best served by celebrating what is rather than prematurely mourning what may be lost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom