Games' budgets and costs to create a video game

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I've thought about starting this thread for a while. We had a similar topic about games created in the '90s and '00s.

Here are a few snippets I've gathered about the latest info on games' budgets.

Baldur’s Gate 3 was said to have been developed by over 300 staffs across 6 studios with a budget of over $100M USD. [1]

Starfield had a team of 500 and a budget of over $200M USD. [2]

Cyberpunk 2077 had a total budget of $316M USD. [3]

CDPR spent another $103M USD on developing Cyberpunk 2077's PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S re-release as well as the new Phantom Liberty expansion. [4]

Experts put Hogwarts Legacy's budget at $150 million. [5]

According to the poorly redacted declaration submitted by Sony Interactive Entertainment during the Xbox Federal Trade Commission case, The Last of Us: Part 2 cost some $220M USD to develop, with a peak headcount of some 200 full-time employees. Horizon Forbidden West, meanwhile, cost $212M USD to develop and utilized more than 300 developers. [6]

Control had a budget of $30M USD. [7]

But that's AAA games. Check out more on their budgets here:

The gulf between AAA games and other games is substantial.

Hellblade was made on a micro-budget of under $10M USD with a small team of around 20 people. [8]

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous was developed on a $2M USD Kickstarter budget. [9]

Cult of the Lamb had a $0.5M budget. [10]

Fandraxx

Habitué
The fact that these AAA companies can have budgets of this magnitude and still can't figure out how not to crunch their employees is borderline astounding.

I'll always root for the games cobbled together from mothballs. Nothing against big budgets, but there's something about the ingenuity of the smaller titles that can't be replicated.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Two recent revelations:

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum had a budget of $15.9M.

The Lamplighters League had a budget of $22.8M.

Both games are now considered failures (and yes, The Lamplighters League was just released ~a week ago).

Skatan

Innkeeper
Staff member
From what little I've seen, heard and read about the Gollum game, it really felt like one of those kickstarter scams where the dev's make a demo, get people to pledge and then deliver something barebones and takes the net in their pockets. But this time it actually did cost quite a bit of money, heh.. where did they spend it? :D

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Lords of the Fallen had a budget of $66.6M:

$42.2M development
$19.3M marketing
$5.1M physical copies production

It's interesting that so far it doesn't seem like it sold enough to recoup (even while it is considered to be a successful launch). CI Games reported the game had sold 1M copies. With the price of $60 USD and the Steam cut (30%), it's not enough yet.

alice_ashpool

Habitué
50% of dev budget on marketing seems par for the course for movies these days based on the vids I have watched about the decline of and fall of the superhero industry. And I suppose $40M on development isn't that much for an attempt at a AAA game that tries hard to be pro but just ended up being mid. But still, sometimes I'm left thinking "this cost how much?"

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Another story for the record.

Once the most wish-listed game on Steam sold only 200k units with 91k refunds and got shut down 4 days after the Early Access launch.

IGN created a series of pictures explaining the depth of all the problems this game (and the company) had.

Just 11 days before:

"Analyst Andrew Uerkwitz, a managing director at the financial services firm Jefferies, told IGN so-called ‘scam’ games will likely become more prevalent as third-party game engines become easier to use among the spread of AI enablement. “The good news is gamers are very good at figuring these things out,” Uerkwitz said."

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
That was a very insightful read and at the same time very confusing.
Someone must have been benefiting here or stuff wouldn't have happened, right?

What do they mean with "scam" game?
AI supported copied content for trailers and stuff to raise interest, I can see that, but only for the hope that some people might not realize early enough for refund? Or is the process of developing a game somehow beneficial to someone? But how? They can't really earn money during that period, or can they?

I'm seriously confused if what we're seeing here was a very unashamed attempt to cheaply produce and sell something that looks like a blockbuster, or if it was grotesquely misjudged business strategy, or something else entirely.
They got money from investors, used as little of it as possible to develop a non-working game and raise the hype to attract more investors, then declare bankruptcy after 4 days of releasing the game so they will just keep the money left. I'm over-simplifying it but that's basically what they did.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Read on about the investigation of their finance scheme:

And on a separate note, here are the numbers for Alan Wake 2, one of the highest-rated games of this year, and deservedly so. The numbers are very, very low. They also have the Epic Games exclusivity which meant some hard numbers were received straight for that (the majority of PC players are waiting for the Steam release), but still.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
A leak by hackers shows the cost of upcoming AAA games by Insomniac Games based on the X-Men franchise.

"Of particular interest to gamers who are fans of the X-Men is a publishing agreement between Marvel and Sony Interactive Entertainment, signed by both Isaac Perlmutter, Marvel’s chairperson of entertainment, and Jim Ryan, Sony’s president. The document is effective as of 26 July 2021 and lists three upcoming X-Men games to be published under the agreement, the first being Wolverine and the rest as yet unnamed.

But the document does go into release dates and costings, as well as many other details. Wolverine is to be published no later than 1 September 2025, while the other two are to come before 31 December 2029 and 31 December 2033, respectively.

According to the agreement, Sony is expected to spend at least US$120 million on each title."

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Immortals of Aveum was released in August 2023 to a relatively paltry reception, failing to secure traction in a bustling market that saw other, more dominating games snatch the top spots in the charts with ease.

In a recent report published by IGN, it was revealed that Immortals of Aveum cost $125 million to develop: the development cost was ‘around $85 million’ and Electronic Arts – the game’s publisher – threw in $40 million for marketing and distribution costs.

JustKneller

Habitué
What do they mean with "scam" game?
AI supported copied content for trailers and stuff to raise interest, I can see that, but only for the hope that some people might not realize early enough for refund? Or is the process of developing a game somehow beneficial to someone? But how? They can't really earn money during that period, or can they?
They got money from investors, used as little of it as possible to develop a non-working game and raise the hype to attract more investors, then declare bankruptcy after 4 days of releasing the game so they will just keep the money left. I'm over-simplifying it but that's basically what they did.

Minevese kinda summed it up here. This is expected to be a growing trend with AAA games. That is, par for the course now is that a game is rushed to release and then (presumably) patched after market. The sooner you can get a release, the sooner you can start making money. Because the standards for a release are dropping, a scam game can get away with a hack job and false promises (like what The Day Before did). Of course, they are going to have an exit plan for the media. Fntastic dissolves and the same people can reform under a new company name and try again. Not to mention, investment fraud is a real thing so they have to make it look like they accidentally screwed up to dodge charges.

This is mainly why I don't even buy new games anymore. Why spend $60 on an essentially incomplete game that may or may not get polished up in the future? Better to wait a year or two (or three, depending), grab it on a gog/steam sale for $10-20, tops, assuming the devs finished the job. You get a better play experience for a fraction of the cost. As an added benefit, when you do need to upgrade hardware, you don't need the most expensive top of the line system to play what you're playing.

It's kind of a sad thing, but the AAA industry just got too big to maintain integrity and then this creates a space for leeches like Fntastic. Believe it or not, though, this conversation (for me) started decades ago back when 3d rendered games became the "standard". It seriously jacked up production costs to create more elaborate visuals, which increased the need to rush/boost sales in order to keep the bottom line in the black. Just look at the course of Looking Glass Studios, then Irrational Games/2K, then Ghost Story Games. They didn't play the shady business game and they went from making some of the most brilliant games in the hobby (Thief, System Shock 2, Bioshock) to a small indie group that hasn't actually even released a game since they were founded in 2017.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
New info on Alan Wake 2:

"I haven’t finished Alan Wake 2, but what I’ve played of it made me gasp, laugh, and scream in equal measure. It’s widely considered one of the best games of 2023, and was a strong contender for Game of the Year against the incredible Baldur’s Gate 3. It’s won a handful of other awards, been nominated for many more, and got 5 out of 5 stars from us, which is totally the most important thing.

It’s a widely-loved game, selling faster than any of Remedy’s previous efforts, including 2019’s Control. It moved over a million copies in just a couple of months, having sold 1.3 million units by February 2024. And yet, the game hasn’t broken even.

Clearly, Alan Wake 2 is still very successful. It’s not that it isn’t a good game (it is) or that it isn’t marketable (it is). But the game’s budget was 70 million euros – that’s 50 million for development, and 20 million on marketing. That’s about 54 million USD and 21.5 million USD, for the record. That’s a huge budget, and it’s not even the exception – Baldur’s Gate 3 cost more than 100 million USD. The Last of Us Part 2 cost 200 million USD. Horizon Forbidden West cost 212 million USD. Alan Wake 2 is on the lower end of triple-A budgets right now, and imagine the blow was softened significantly thanks to a publishing partnership with Epic Games."

And a take from Josh Sawyer (Obsidian):

JustKneller

Habitué
I'm not surprised. I think the AAA and even the AA industry is at the cusp of being too big to be sustainable, if it's not there already. I had a conversation about this some time ago with a friend, though we were talking about a different industry at the time, but it was a similar effect. That is, any industry, especially a luxury industry can only grow so large before it essentially collapses upon itself. And, with a luxury industry, the most expensive you get, the fewer consumers you will have. There's a reason why Bentley only has a few thousand employees and GMC has about 50x that.

The tabletop industry is a good example of both a collapse and reaching an equilibrium. For the first couple decades, it was pretty much just a handful of publishers. Then the 90s hit and you had a lot of other professional designers hit the scene. It was a bubble, though, and eventually burst when "indie" design and self-publishing became a thing. Most of the people who survived the burst did so by diversifying into things like minis, cards, etc. Basically, they started selling things that you couldn't just put into a pdf and upload to itch.io or DTRPG.

The equilibrium now is that the hobby has somewhat stabilized in its place. Because of self-publishing, there's a lot of faff to sift through. However, the quality products are put out by very small teams and have landed on a price point what works for both producers and consumers. It's a hobby, and the market generally isn't there to make a proper living (most don't make anything close to minimum wage). To be clear, I'm not referring to Wizards of the Coast. They're a whole other animal. This is just the market at large.

That being said, I think video games as a hobby are going to be fine. If/when the bubble bursts for video games, so it goes. At least the indie scene will be fine and there's plenty of space there for good writing and good gameplay. For example, take Alan Wake 2. You could probably rebuild the game in a tweaked version of the HPL engine, which was originally created in the 90s and used for survival horror games like Pneumbra and Amnesia. It wouldn't be as visually smooth, but still effective for the genre, manage the same detail of gameplay, and cost a fraction to produce.

I don't think people will stop making games like Alan Wake 2. It may come to pass that people stop making games that look like this and instead try to be effective with a more economically feasable medium. But, good game design can work with just a single person and a good idea (i.e. Stardew Valley).

Top Bottom