Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
CD Projekt Red just revealed their entire upcoming roadmap:
  • Sirius: An entire New Trilogy of Witcher Games
  • Orion: The Code Name for the Next Cyberpunk Game which is already beginning pre-production
  • Hadar: A New IP

Going forward, CD Projekt Red will also include multiplayer in their next projects as well.

It's pretty cool to see a big game company be this transparent about everything they're working on!
I'm kind of in the position of "wait and see". I was in the group of very disappointed customers of CP2077, because I bought it initially on PS4 Pro, where it was virtually unplayable after release. Only over a year later, after patch 1.5 and on PC, I was able to enjoy the game.

CDPR definitely aims high, with so many projects planned, but I plan to resist any hype and just watch the news. I wish them well, of course, but I do believe criticism after CP2077 launch was justified. They need to earn my trust once again, especially since I didn't like TW3 either.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
The global gaming industry will be worth $321 billion by 2026, according to PwC’s Global Entertainment and Media Outlook 2022-26.

“People were looking for ways to both entertain themselves and maintain their social connections,” says Bartosz Skwarczek, co-founder and CEO of online gaming marketplace G2A.com. “Gaming has so often been painted with the wrong brush – stereotyped as being isolating and unsociable. However, the pandemic has shown this could not be further from the truth.”

Many players believe gaming helped their mental health during lockdowns. A survey of European gamers suggested 16% felt this way, with those spending time on multiplayer genres feeling especially positive.

Video games made up just 6.1% of global spending in the entertainment and media sector in 2017, but by 2026 they are projected to grab a 10.9% share as gaming becomes even more mainstream, the PwC report says.

China and the US dominated the market in 2021, accounting for about half of gaming and eSports revenues. But future growth could come from less wealthy countries with growing populations.

The PwC report predicts that the games market will expand fastest in Turkey, with average annual growth of 24.1% between 2021 and 2026. It will be followed by Pakistan, with expansion of 21.9%, and India on 18.3%."

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
The global gaming industry will be worth $321 billion by 2026, according to PwC’s Global Entertainment and Media Outlook 2022-26.

“People were looking for ways to both entertain themselves and maintain their social connections,” says Bartosz Skwarczek, co-founder and CEO of online gaming marketplace G2A.com. “Gaming has so often been painted with the wrong brush – stereotyped as being isolating and unsociable. However, the pandemic has shown this could not be further from the truth.”

Many players believe gaming helped their mental health during lockdowns. A survey of European gamers suggested 16% felt this way, with those spending time on multiplayer genres feeling especially positive.

Video games made up just 6.1% of global spending in the entertainment and media sector in 2017, but by 2026 they are projected to grab a 10.9% share as gaming becomes even more mainstream, the PwC report says.

China and the US dominated the market in 2021, accounting for about half of gaming and eSports revenues. But future growth could come from less wealthy countries with growing populations.

The PwC report predicts that the games market will expand fastest in Turkey, with average annual growth of 24.1% between 2021 and 2026. It will be followed by Pakistan, with expansion of 21.9%, and India on 18.3%."

I think this is especially true for MMO's, but it can be just as true for single player games paired with a good forum. I think most of us here have shared screenshots and stories from documented runs together before, and we've reacted, commented, and taken advice and encouragement from each other, showing how even single player games can be social.

Chronicler

Habitué
I think this is especially true for MMO's, but it can be just as true for single player games paired with a good forum. I think most of us here have shared screenshots and stories from documented runs together before, and we've reacted, commented, and taken advice and encouragement from each other, showing how even single player games can be social.

The Four Job Fiesta charity event was probably the most actively involved in a larger gaming community I've been all year. Just a bunch of people doing Final Fantasy 5 challenge runs raising money for planned parenthood.

While there's a stereotype of single player videogames not being a social activity, I think it often works on much the same principles as for example everybody talking about this week's episode of Soprano's around the water cooler.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
God of War: Ragnarök is a new contender for the GOTY award. The praise was expected, but still, similar to Elden Ring, it's unusual to see a project living up to such high expectations. And it's interesting to hear about side quests there.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
A press release concerning the situation at ZA/UM from Robert Kurvitz and Aleksander Rostov:

"We are Robert Kurvitz and Aleksander Rostov — the game director and art director of Disco Elysium.<...>

After five years of gruelling work we released Disco Elysium, a game beloved by millions. As our reward, we were summarily fired and cut off from our life’s work — the world of Elysium. The company we built has been looted, while our own earnings are insufficient even to cover legal fees.

Until now, we’ve refrained from speaking out. This has been entirely voluntary, out of consideration for the people still working at ZA/UM — and for our own mental health. But given the severity of our suspicions — and the seriousness of the evidence we have — we think it’s time people knew what has transpired at the company.<...>

Tütreke OÜ must have obtained control over Zaum Studio OÜ by fraud. We believe the money used by Tütreke OÜ to buy the majority stake was taken illegally from Zaum Studio OÜ itself, money that belonged to the studio and all shareholders but was used for the benefit of one. Money that should have gone towards making the sequel. We believe that these actions — which in our view, and the view of our lawyers, amount to criminal wrongdoing punishable by up to three years imprisonment — were perpetrated by Ilmar Kompus and Tõnis Haavel with support from Kaur Kender, another minority shareholder.<...>

We are now in the process of reviewing our legal options. Both civil claims and criminal charges are on the table — in Estonia and the United Kingdom."

m7600

Habitué
A lot of people have recommended Disco Elysium to me, I really need to find the time to play it.

It's really sad to hear that the team that made it got screwed over and that they're in the middle of a legal battle.

Chronicler

Habitué
That whole news story seems to be pretty deeply tied into a cultural landscape I know nothing about, so I'm hesitant weigh in on the issue too strongly.

But from what I can gather it's another example of creative control being taken from the artists and given to some business minded suits, which seems pretty universal. Tale as old as time. Fucked up in any language. Hope the working man gets whats his.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Obsidian Game Director Josh Sawyer has said Pentiment wouldn't exist without Game Pass "I never would have proposed making Pentiment without Game Pass. Like I literally just wouldn't have done it. I just don't think it would have been possible."

He's basically saying a "niche" game like Pentiment isn't something he would have pitched in the traditional model because it would be so hard to get a publisher to pick up.

Xzarloxara

Innkeeper
Staff member
@Xzarloxara Are you enjoying the game?
Yes, I am enjoying it VERY much. Much more than I even expected to enjoy it. It is sort of like an open world game in Pokémon. Amazing really. It has a few minor bugs, but not too many. After a certain point you are free to explore at will. There are objectives for you, but you can accomplish them in any order you want. Battle gyms in any order, etc. It is a very nice experience for a Pokémon game, since there are very few restrictions on what you can do and when you can do it.

I also apparently have an amazing luck stat, since I found a lot of shiny Pokémon already. Not sure how I do it, to be honest.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
"11 years on from Portal 2, any experienced Valve-watcher knows the rules: Valve don't do threes.

A new video from YouTuber DidYouKnowGaming interviews some of the key creatives behind the series and, while there's a lot across the videos to unpick, the standout is that Jay Pinkerton and Erik Wolpaw, largely responsible for the exceptional scripts, have a firm idea for the third: and not only that, it's been shopped-around internally a little.

"I don't know, it's almost like the numbering system works against us," said Wolpaw. "Because we made Half-Life 2, then sorta made a 3, but it was an episode, so maybe that was just the luck of the draw."

Naturally Wolpaw makes the point that this isn't deliberate, and that it happens because Valve staff "just keep getting sucked into other stuff. Someday hopefully there will be a 3 of something."

"So you know, it's good we have this idea but there's a lot left to do. Someone's gotta think up some new portal puzzles! But we do have an actual idea, yes."

I consider Portal 2, even while it's not an RPG, to be probably the best game in terms of how it's done and how intact all gameplay elements are. I can't recommend it enough. It's good to hear that a sequel might happen one day.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
It's happening. Prices for AAA titles are increasing from 60 USD to 70 USD.

Beginning in 2023, games built for Xbox Series X|S including Forza Motorsport, Redfall, and Starfield will cost $69.99 USD at launch. While Xbox has noted that regional pricing may differ, it has not yet given specifics for other countries.

"This price reflects the content, scale, and technical complexity of these titles," a Microsoft spokesperson told IGN. "As with all games developed by our teams at Xbox, they will also be available with Game Pass the same day they launch.”

Other platforms will follow, I think.

What do you think about this?

Chronicler

Habitué
I haven't bought a AAA game on launch in a long time.

When Baldur's Gate 3 was taking pre-orders, I was surprised to see it was going for $80. I knew they go for 60 USD these days but it had never occured to me to wonder what that would be in Canadian Dollars.

I think I'd have to be pretty excited about one of these games to buy them when they're not heavily discounted at this point. But from what I hear they're all getting worse anyway. It's becoming ever more the industry norm that you release the game as a mess and then patch it into shape over the course of the next year or two. I don't need to be a part of that.

Top Bottom