Industry News / Upcoming Games

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe, sure. There might be some blame on the creator. But there surely is a lot of blame on those people who posted that stuff. That's unforgivable and silly, and it happens so frequently. If one can't be "all positive and good", then at least, be constructive with your feedback, not aggressive or attacking, or "demanding".

Chronicler

Habitué
Honestly, I think it's a valid decision as a creator to just make the story you wanna tell, and hope it will find its audience in likeminded people, rather than getting all deep into what the focus groups say your target demographic likes or whatever.

That can be a trickier thing to navigate when picking up a large franchise. Obviously if you're gonna tell the latest Batman story, then a lot of Batman fans have some pretty strong ideas about what Batman should be.

It sounds like he just might not have anticipated that Monkey Island was such a sacred cow in that respect.

That being said, I've never actually played a monkey island game before, and I couldn't tell you how integral I think the art style is to the franchise, or to what degree this new art style betrays those values.

Edit: though obviously even if it was the worst Monkey Island game ever, still don't be a dick to the dude on his own blog or anything. Like that's not asking much.

O_Bruce

Habitué
Yes, I can certainly say that I have seen demanding and entitled fans, that's true. But I have also seen demanding and entitled creators as well. Neither group of those humanoid beings is saint, nor that rare. From the fans side, you know it: harassment, calling names, demands etc. From creators, inability to accept any feedback that isn't positive, blaming everything but themselves for mistakes, not considering any, even good-faith, critique as valid, calling fan names, etc. Both I have seen. I was even blocked once for daring to not compliment an artist hard enough.

Pardon me also for not mentioning things like harrassment being bad. I don't think I have to mention obvious things.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
🤣🤦‍♂️

Not even saying that the MEME is sexist, I think.

As David Gaider eloquently put it:

Chronicler

Habitué
I didn't actually see much of the meme.

One of them I did see was "She's a 10 but she's part of a playing card themed crime family" with a picture of Melanie Walker from Batman Beyond. Didn't seem overly sexist in that context. Like, that was the central conflict of the character. She had a simmering romantic/sexual chemistry with Terry McGinnis but he was Batman and she robbed banks with her mom and dad.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm happy to see Stray on top of the Steam wishlist charts. I remember that game was announced along with big guns like Horizon Forbidden West, and yet it managed to stay in the spotlight, even as an indie game. The Stray project is about a ginger stray cat lost in a huge abandoned cyberpunk city.

This happened after a big controversy around the previous wishlist leader, The Day Before (due to the developer’s use of unpaid workers).

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Steam wishlist numbers are the most useful for many PC developers as they're a metric everyone will have access to, especially non-AAA developers.

I encourage every Tavern patron over there, every player even, to ALWAYS wishlist games they're interested in, as soon as you become interested in this or that game.

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
Bumping after I finally got around to catching up on most things E3.

At this point, as someone that has spent incredible amounts of time playing the Elder Scrolls games, I just find it impossible to excite myself for anything Bethesda might be doing at the moment.

I know the world got turned upside down, I understand that I was not personally all that huge a fan of Fallout 4, but, I feel like, at some point, but stops becoming an unjust expectation for them to release something at some point. Most of the last decade has felt like nothing but teases Elder Scrolls 6 (of which we've seen one picture that culminated in an effective "we're working on it") and Starfield, which we finally just saw some gameplay of at the Microsoft event.

Far as I'm concerned, they've turned into the George R.R. Martin of the gaming world. They love telling us hard they're working and how cool it's going to be, and then never actually get around to releasing anything.

Y'know, they being terrible to their staff doesn't help matter much, either.

It kills me to think about. All they had to do, all anyone wanted them to do, was release ES6. Nobody asked for online Fallout. Nobody asked for online Elder Scrolls! Nobody asked for a decade-long delay for your most well known franchise but once ESO became a thing I knew it was inevitable. Can't have it compete with your cash cow. :cautious:

That being said, Skyrim VR, extensively modded, is still one of the best experiences you can have on a quest. With stuff like being able to block when dual wielding, or when you have a staff in one hand, a better perk and magic system, HD retextures of every single in-game object and some 3D remakes of 2D stuff, it looks incredible and plays very similarly to games like Until You Fall. And you can still do the big stuff like explore Cyrodil.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
So happy for It Takes Two, Hazelight studio, and Josef Fares! I played It Takes Two about a year ago, and I still feel impressed by the experience. A good read on its success and lots of good points about great decisions regarding the games he created (innovations, in a way):

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I briefly stumbled upon this honest and inspiring article.

An excerpt from it:

"How to lie with statistics

“Over 30 million players,” touted Sea of Thieves in a recent E3 trailer. “Join 10 million players,” says a Naraka Bladepoint trailer from the same event. This is almost exclusively the language that publishers use to describe how popular their game is. You’d be forgiven for thinking 30 million people are playing Sea of Thieves on a regular basis, but what developer Rare is actually saying is that throughout Sea of Thieves’ lifetime, 30 million accounts have played the game for a period of time ever.

Such is the power of the lifetime player count: a big number that sounds impressive in a piece of marketing. What are fans supposed to do with that information, and what does it even mean? How often does someone have to play to be counted in that 30 million? Is Rare counting my friend who downloaded Sea of Thieves with Game Pass and played for 14 minutes before uninstalling?"

Chronicler

Habitué
You see that a lot with gacha games too. They'll have a "29 Million Players" celebration. How are we counting players? Really what they mean is that 29 million accounts have been created. That means Doug in Portland Ohio, who created 300 accounts trying to get his favourite character on the initial free roll, he counts as 300 players.

Though to be fair, most of the time these Player Count Milestone celebrations are more just filler for when it's time to give out free shit and there's no real occasion. Granblue Fantasy for example, they had the 32 Million Player Celebration in May, but we've actually been up to like 40+ million accounts for a couple years. At some point they just started raising the number by another 1 million every time they held a new celebration regardless of how many new accounts had been created since the last one, so they've effectively been decoupled.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I watched Gamescom's Opening Night Live yesterday. The reaction is mixed, but I saw a few games that interested me personally:

Under the Waves by Parallel Studio, a narrative-driven adventure game "about the engulfing power of grief. Set in the depths of the North Sea in a techno-futuristic 1970s, professional diver Stan is struggling to overcome a life-changing loss and embrace a new future. The isolation of the deep sea is a fitting manifestation of his state of mind, and as Stan retreads further into his self-imposed solitude, he starts to experience strange events far beneath the waves. He will eventually have to make a difficult choice... stay lost in the depths forever, or break free to the surface and to the rest of his life. A love letter to the oceans, Under The Waves invites you to dive into a gorgeous underwater world, brought to life in a poetic blend of cinematic visuals and poignant storytelling."

Blacktail by THE PARASIGHT, a one-of-a-kind blend of intense archery combat and dark storytelling set in a vibrant fairy tale world. "You play as Yaga, a 16-year-old girl accused of witchcraft and expelled from a medieval Slavic settlement. When living memories of your past return as foul, walking spirits, you are left with no other option than to hunt them down in hopes of unravelling your own mystery."

Where Winds Meet by Everstone Games, an open-world RPG that is set throughout the Northern Song Dynasty in China. The game is set during the Ten Kingdoms period of medieval China, at the end of the Southern Tang Dynasty. You will be able to pick a side in the war, but you will also apparently be able to pursue professions like doctor, merchant, or just aimless wanderer. There will be plenty of fighting though, with the ability to mix and match sword fighting, Wuxia-style martial arts, Tai chi, and magic. Both in its action and gameplay, Where Winds Meet seems to draw parallels with the likes of Assassin’s Creed and Ghost of Tsushima. There are beautiful sweeping environments of all kinds to explore, along with horseback riding, climbing, wall-running, and what looks like a potentially colossal boss battle.

The Expanse by new Telltale, an adventure game. "In the near future on the outskirts of the asteroid belt, a bloody mutiny breaks loose on the Artemis. You take the role of XO Camina Drummer, where your choices determine the fate of the ship. What will you do with the truth, Bosmang?" It is set before the television series and follows Camina Drummer and her crew aboard the Artemis, a scavenger ship in the Belt. In The Expanse, players will have to work with mag boots to "walk on walls and ceilings and utilize Zero-G thrusters to float through the void". Along with this gravity defying setting, players will also be given a "greater authority over the action" that goes beyond what has been experienced in past Telltale games.

Scars Above by Mad Head Games, a sci-fi shooter. You'll play the role of Dr Kate Ward – The Sentient Contact Assessment and Response team (SCAR) member—who wakes up dazed, alone in a strange, hostile environment. Determined to survive, you set out to find your crew and unravel the mystery behind what’s happened. "Kate is an astronaut and a scientist—not a soldier—but she’s resourceful and determined to do anything to survive. Use a combination of ranged weapons, devices, consumables and melee attacks, you need to manage stamina as you run, dodge, exploit weak points and discover effective tactics to defeat your foes. Combine different elemental attacks to beat the odds and break through otherwise impassable obstacles. Craft different items and gadgets to aid you against the countless threats in this exoplanet."

Wyrdsong by Something Wicked Games is "planned as a dark, historical fantasy that takes place in a fictionalized version of Portugal in the Middle Ages. Though we don't yet know any details about the story, players will take on the role of a fully customizable protagonist and will engage with the world through RPG mechanics including combat and questing".

"The lore part, that’s very interesting, because I’m actually trying to avoid lore for the most part,” said Gardiner, whose closed his 16-year tenure with Bethesda Game Studios one year ago as of Friday. “So I’m setting it somewhat historical. […] I want to explore this idea of the player being an unreliable narrator, and there’s no better setting than this, sort of semi-mythological, [Knights] Templar sort of backdrop.”

"Wyrdsong is a “preternatural, occult, historical fantasy” game, and it’s going to be an open world RPG. It’s definitely single-player, no comment for now on multiplayer, and players can be “any race or gender” they want. It’s set in Portugal in the middle ages, and will explore themes around questioning the nature of reality, unreliable narrators, and the stories people tell themselves about their experiences. It is, he says, a “coming together of two great RPG houses” in its Bethesda and Obsidian DNA, and thus will include choices and consequences, Obsidian shades of grey, and in-depth dialogue trees. “We really want to have big, monumental elements you can only do in single-player games where you’re really affecting the world around you, and maybe other worlds as well,” Gardiner says.

But if between this description and the Opening Night Live teaser you still aren’t sure what Wyrdsong really is, don’t worry. Gardiner isn’t 100% sure either, but that’s a good thing - it’s still quite early in development. Gardiner says that this very, very early development announcement is really more of a studio announcement for Something Wicked, but he wanted to “put a stake in the ground” in terms of the type of game he was making so he could attracted developers interested in helping him define more fully what Wyrdsong will be, collaboratively. He’s not interested in being an auteur."

What are your impressions of the Opening Night Live? What games have interested you?

Chronicler

Habitué

Pokemon introduces autobattling. I don't know. This sort of thing always seems to betray a tremendous lack of faith in your product. Like "We know this game's not very fun to play, but don't worry, we programmed it to play itself."

But then again, I do spend most of my time playing shitty gacha games that play almost entirely automatically precisely because more time went into developing their predatory business model than making a fun game, so maybe I'm a huge hypocrite.

Chronicler

Habitué
The visuals of being able to watch your Pokemon run around alongside you acting somewhat independently also seems really cool.

Like it's always been fun when they let you see your pokemon following you in the overworld, and this is in a sense an evolution of that, giving your pokemon a sense of life beyond being a fight-robot you pull out when there's battle to be done.

Just the auto-battling part that kind of immediately has me wary. Battling is supposed to be fun. You're supposed to want to do it. What does it say when they're just starting from the baseline assumption that it's a chore much of their playerbase would rather skip?

Top Bottom