Multiclassing in BG3

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried it myself (still in my 1st playthrough), but now when my warlock reached lvl 10, I'm thinking that I should give him multiclass levels (I actually wanted to try it even for this level up). With the Pact of the Blade, I can benefit greatly from taking 2 fighter levels for Action Surge. And ofc, the same is true for Lae'zel and Karlach - just feels a bit wrong to have them as solo classes (fighter and barbarian) when there are not many new bonuses left. In the original games, I was such a fan of multiclassing, always preferring, say, a F/T, to standard thieves.

Have you tried MC in BG3?

Larian released some graphs to show popular MC combinations in BG3.

53206228631_ff854aa256_b.jpg

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I haven't tried it myself (still in my 1st playthrough), but now when my warlock reached lvl 10, I'm thinking that I should give him multiclass levels (I actually wanted to try it even for this level up). With the Pact of the Blade, I can benefit greatly from taking 2 fighter levels for Action Surge. And ofc, the same is true for Lae'zel and Karlach - just feels a bit wrong to have them as solo classes (fighter and barbarian) when there are not many new bonuses left. In the original games, I was such a fan of multiclassing, always preferring, say, a F/T, to standard thieves.

Have you tried MC in BG3?

Larian released some graphs to show popular MC combinations in BG3.

View attachment 5953

I was thinking about it many times, but decided not to multiclass on my first run. But will definitely experiment with it on my second, evil run. I plan to play oathbreaker paladin and was thinking of dipping two levels in Fighter, precisesly for Action Surge. Having a direct comparison between Karlach and Lae'zel, I see how much of an impact Action Surge carries. Karlach may have higher chance to hit, but in the end Lae'zel trumphs with more attacks in my opinion. Having a number od attacks of a fighter with Divine Smite of a paladin seems like a powerful combo.

I don't know how deep is Minthara's class connected to her background, but I was thinking of changing her to a ranger with some multiclassing (haven't decided about the details yet).

Black Elk

Habitué
I think I'm on my seventh run messing around with Minthara. I think you could do pretty much whatever with her. Her starting kit probably could recall something like the cleric/rangers of old, but just an evil-ish version of that. She has some huntress sounding barks and she is called the Night Warden, which sounds pretty cool hehe.

I can't say I'm surprised to see Bard/Sorcerer not exactly climbing the charts, but I had fun with that for a novelty. Druid multi Fighter seemed kinda underwhelming compared to the old school Fight Druid dual, sorta stalled out on that playthrough. I like experimenting with the companions

Zaxares

Habitué
Alas, I'm kinda particular about my runs and I almost always stick with single classes. :p I did some reading about the recommended MC options and some of them are indeed very powerful (if not outright broken), but that's fine by me. I'm running a mod that eliminates the party size limit so I'm fairly sure there's nothing that my 11-man party of myself, Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale, Astarion, Wyll, Karlach, Halsin, Jaheira, Minsc and that Bard henchman can't handle. ;P

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Alas, I'm kinda particular about my runs and I almost always stick with single classes. :p I did some reading about the recommended MC options and some of them are indeed very powerful (if not outright broken), but that's fine by me. I'm running a mod that eliminates the party size limit so I'm fairly sure there's nothing that my 11-man party of myself, Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale, Astarion, Wyll, Karlach, Halsin, Jaheira, Minsc and that Bard henchman can't handle. ;P

Well, I'd advise installing also a mod that makes the game more difficult, too. BG3 is not the most difficult game out there, even on Tactician. There is a difficulty spike in act 3, but even there, there was nothing that I could handle with a couple of reloads. I imagine going through it with 11-man party would be like playing Story mode :)

Zaxares

Habitué
Well, I'd advise installing also a mod that makes the game more difficult, too. BG3 is not the most difficult game out there, even on Tactician. There is a difficulty spike in act 3, but even there, there was nothing that I could handle with a couple of reloads. I imagine going through it with 11-man party would be like playing Story mode :)
Hehe, in all seriousness though, I might actually drop some of them and keep the number to around 6'ish (just like the originals <3). The original reason why I wanted to bring everybody at once was because I wanted to see all of their reactions and responses to various situations. However, in a few places now I've noticed that the game seems to be scripted to only let one, possibly two, companions interject because the game wasn't expecting all the companions to be present. So my guess is that BG3's dialogue tree isn't structured the same way as the older games, where it essentially starts with 1 NPC and then rotates through the entire list until everybody's had their say. If this is true, then there's really no reason for me to bring absolutely everybody, so I could just fill my party with the major roles (Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Rogue) and then add particular NPCs that I enjoy and leave it at that.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Hehe, in all seriousness though, I might actually drop some of them and keep the number to around 6'ish (just like the originals <3). The original reason why I wanted to bring everybody at once was because I wanted to see all of their reactions and responses to various situations. However, in a few places now I've noticed that the game seems to be scripted to only let one, possibly two, companions interject because the game wasn't expecting all the companions to be present. So my guess is that BG3's dialogue tree isn't structured the same way as the older games, where it essentially starts with 1 NPC and then rotates through the entire list until everybody's had their say. If this is true, then there's really no reason for me to bring absolutely everybody, so I could just fill my party with the major roles (Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Rogue) and then add particular NPCs that I enjoy and leave it at that.

Yeah the only problem I have with that is that I keep running into situations where it suddenly becomes evident that it would have been relevant to have this or that character in the party, and I don't feel like going back and bringing them if it means running through a lot of terrain or content again. Sometimes it's obvious of course which companion might be reasonable to bring along (wouldn't have gone into Shar's Gauntlet without Shadowheart, obviously, or into the Githyanki creche without Lae'zel), but not always.

I would like to see all their unique reactions as well. I suppose it's not always possible, simple as that, because I don't like constantly swapping out party members. It's probably meant to enhance replayability experiences, but I don't know when I will replay, so there we are.
I don't have a roleplaying problem with having everyone at camp and occasionally setting out with a different team for different purposes, but the whole annoying issue of keeping their levels and equipment up-to-date when I can't access their character screen in camp if they aren't currently in the party really makes me use that possibility less and less.
It's probably not thought through because the idea to have everyone you want at camp was added rather late in the development and initially the plan seems to have been to lock in your party after a certain point, like they did after Fort Joy in Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Top Bottom