What game are you currently playing?

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
I've been playing Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. I can agree the narrative and writing are really well-done. All the 10 hours I've been playing, I've been smiling, it's just that funny. Unfortunately, the game has stuttering/lagging in certain cut-scenes and during transitions between cut-scenes and gameplay, and sometimes, even during the gameplay (and considering the gameplay is very active, it's bad). I've checked online and seems like the issue is present since the release, and sometimes happens even on the console. It's really too bad. Ignoring the performance issues, the game is really fun, and I can see why players got excited when the Guardians' writer Mary DeMarle joined BioWare as the senior narrative director for Mass Effect 4.

Played this on the XBox and was quite surprised by how good it was. Also no stutters, etc. on the console version.

Skatan

Innkeeper
Staff member
Playing Phantom Doctrine, a X-com-esque game set in 1983. You manage your spies and your base, do missions and try to avoid being caught or have your identities revealed while trying to stop the enemy's spies and plans. So far, so good, although I am only in the first part of the game so let's see how it turns out.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to get back to The Witcher world for a while. Hello again, Geralt!

20230412151459_1.jpg

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I've been playing The Witcher 3 for some time now, too. I approached this game twice in the past (first time on PS4, second time on PC with lots of mods), but I never actually finished it (haven't touched DLCs either). Now, I decided to do it properly, and I'm finally loving it. I simply wasn't ready for this game before. Here are some screenshots:

screenshot_124049.png

screenshot_212653.png

screenshot_20623.jpg

screenshot_215839.png

screenshot_195642.png

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve gotten really into Wartales recently. It’s a game where you control a small group of mercenaries, and you build them into a large, capable force (or you can keep them small too, but I think part of the spectacle of the game is having large numbers).
Ohhh! I've been keeping an eye on that game. Would be interested to read your thoughts on Wartales as you continue playing it.

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
I mentioned it in another thread, but lately I've been really into Star Wars: The Old Republic. It is an MMO version of Star Wars that has origin stories like Dragon Age: Origins, and a very generous free-to-play option. Combat is near story-mode level of non-difficulty for the solo portion of the game, so I would compare it to Elder Scrolls Online for its combat and structure.

For any Star Wars fans who have tried and liked Elder Scrolls: Online, I would highly recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic for a very similar experience in the Star Wars universe.

I've been playing both the Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular origin stories, and references and Easter Eggs related to the old single-player Knights of the Old Republic games abound, including music tracks, and mentions of Darth Malak and Revan in the histories. One of my storylines on Taris took me into the wreckage of the Endar Spire, and the actual music from the KOTOR opening sequence played. I was delighted by the sudden wave of nostalgia. There's plenty of John Williams in the soundtrack, too. They apparently secured rights to all music from the franchise.

Fandraxx

Habitué
Baldur's Gate 1, and Fallout 1

View attachment 4240
I'll always have a soft spot for the first Fallout, mainly cause it served as a life lesson for a younger me.

I spent hours, and I mean HOURS, one day in middle school figuring out how to get it to run on Windows 7 from an original disk. Troubleshooting, scouring the internet, all that good stuff. Eventually, after doing/trying just about everything imaginable, down to creating batch files to run the game through, I FINALLY got the thing to run.

Unsurprisingly excited, I rushed to tell my father. I was a software wiz! A hacker! A coder extraordinaire! My father, someone who's actually trained in software/IT skills, let me regale my tale and, once I was finished, simply smiled and said:

"That's good, pal. Now, what cost more? The time spent doing that, or the five dollars it would've cost from GOG, packaged and ready to go?"

Granted, he was still proud of me and whatnot, but it was a nice lesson in the value of time, cause he was definitely right.

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
Darkest Dungeon. One of my favorite party building RPGs of all time, and bite sized enough that I can spend 20 minutes or all day on it. Characters are likely to die, and death is permanent. The stress of adventuring can cause you to go insane or inspire you to new feats of heroism. Strategy is key. The modding scene in this particular game is incredible and really adds to the flavor.

Balrog99

Habitué
Still playing BG2EE and HOMM IV myself. Too old to change I guess. Thought I'd finally found the perfect evil character to play when I decided on a Cleric/Mage and Keepered her to Necromancer. Alas, after finally getting the band together (Viconia, Korgan, Dorn, Hexxat and Edwin) I saw a post in the forums about an all ranged party and restartis kicked in yet again. We'll see how long my L-Bow Archer, S-Bow Archer, X-Bow Archer, Dagger Kensai, Axe Kensai, and Charname Slinger fighter dualed to thief keeps my interest. Probably not long if historical data holds to form...

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Still playing BG2EE and HOMM IV myself. Too old to change I guess. Thought I'd finally found the perfect evil character to play when I decided on a Cleric/Mage and Keepered her to Necromancer. Alas, after finally getting the band together (Viconia, Korgan, Dorn, Hexxat and Edwin) I saw a post in the forums about an all ranged party and restartis kicked in yet again. We'll see how long my L-Bow Archer, S-Bow Archer, X-Bow Archer, Dagger Kensai, Axe Kensai, and Charname Slinger fighter dualed to thief keeps my interest. Probably not long if historical data holds to form...

I guess there is no actual "end" for a game like HoMM IV. As for BG, kept playing it until I could go through all the challenges I had set and completed that "one last completionist run" where I got everything exactly as I wanted and was 100% happy about the outcome. You know, beating Ust-Natha without reloading on the Insane SCS difficulty level with a party, not solo, without any HLAs and levels after the 3 mln of XP.

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
I guess there is no actual "end" for a game like HoMM IV. As for BG, kept playing it until I could go through all the challenges I had set and completed that "one last completionist run" where I got everything exactly as I wanted and was 100% happy about the outcome. You know, beating Ust-Natha without reloading on the Insane SCS difficulty level with a party, not solo, without any HLAs and levels after the 3 mln of XP.

My list of to-dos in BG is still huge despite me having over a decades worth of time with the game at this point. I want to run off-brand PCs like a Skald or a Wizard Slayer (I made the ishlilka mod just because I wanted to use the class without using the class lmao), I want to see Chaotic Neutral Anomen or Aerie and Haer dalis as a couple and take them into TOB, I want to finally explore SOD like it deserves. Havent played in years but just talking about it is tempting me.

Chronicler

Habitué
Been playing through Final Fantasy 5 again. The Four Job Fiesta charity event is coming up. Every year they have something called "The Run" where fans vote on classes, and then a bunch of speed runners stream as they play with those classes back to back.

This year I'm playing along at home. The classes are Knight/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. It's been mostly pretty civil, but the Forked Tower was a major roadblock. It's pretty optional for this team comp but I still wanted to do it.

How the forked tower works is you have to split up your party into two groups that will each explore one of the forks. One of the forks is physical only, and disables all magic. The other is magic only, and counters anything physical.

Problem is this group doesn't have any real magic users. Geomancer should count but doesn't. So the boss of the magic fork is The Omniscient and his gimmick is that any time you attack him through non-magical means, he casts a spell that resets the battle back to the beginning.

I'd read about a few strategies I could try, but only one of them ended up working. What you do is you equip the mage masher, a weak dagger usable by most classes which has a chance of silencing the enemy. You equip reflect rings on your characters. You attack your own characters, because he won't counter that, but when the silence procs, it bounces off your reflect ring and silences him instead. If the silence is successful, you have a shockingly short window (maybe 5 seconds?) where you can attack him, and he won't be able to cast his reset spell.

All in all the process of figuring out what I needed to do and doing it took about two hours. The part where I was using the working strategy was about 40 minutes. I also abused save states for this one, because a single misclick undoes all your progress, and maybe there's somebody out there that can do all that without once zigging when they were supposed to zag, but I really think I would've been there all day if I'd tried to do it all in one clean take.

Top Bottom