What game are you currently playing?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
@BelgarathMTH Thanks for sharing your insight. I'm lacking knowledge because I don't know music professionally, but I've found the following interview with Paul Romero, the composer of HoMM games:

Also, I have found this old thread:

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
@BelgarathMTH Thanks for sharing your insight. I'm lacking knowledge because I don't know music professionally, but I've found the following interview with Paul Romero, the composer of HoMM games:

Also, I have found this old thread:

Great informational finds here. Thank you so much for these.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Feeling inspired by watching the Stellar Blade trailer, I decided to work on my backlog and launched Nier: Automata, an ARPG from 2017 that had been sitting in my library for a long time. I had a save about 3-4 hours in, so loaded that one and just ran around the semi-open area of a post-apocalyptic city. As an Android, you can install different chips and upgrade your weapons. For this, you need money and different crafting materials that you can gain while roaming. For now, 2B (the main character) has a short sword (a starting weapon) and a heavy sword (that I purchased), both of these can be upgraded. You aren't forced to follow the main route and can spend just as much time as you need to get better at game systems and improve your gear (there are such activities in the game as even "fishing", where you can capture mechanical fish and later sell it). Here are 2B and 9S (your sidekick Android) in a friendly "camp":

20240213181223_1.jpg

Alesia_BH

Habitué
I just rolled a new BG character, Ale'san, elven mage/thief. She's off to an auspicious start, with a successful anti-chickenator.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 10.37.39 PM.jpg

I don't expect to post on Ale'san, at least not at first. I have some relearning to do before I'll be ready for a proper run. That said, I'm excited about the character, so you may see her in the annex thread sooner rather than later. We'll see!

Best,

A.

Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Getting better at Nier: Automata. My character reached lvl 18 and I now understand how the system with chips (upgrades) work. This game is actually a constant no-reload scenario, and if you die once, you can reclaim your previous body if you manage to reach it. However, if you die for a second time before that, all your chips will be lost, and thus you'll be losing the most important loot you've collected so far, the best upgrades you've had, so you need to be careful. It would not be easy to find and improve chips again.

Here is 2B fighting a lvl 40 enemy:

20240220211102_1.jpg

I like how the game presents different events and areas, and how it tries to explain the tone by using colors (these are just screenshots from gameplay, not preset cutscenes).

20240216210943_1.jpg

20240220200126_1.jpg

m7600

Habitué
I'm trying to keep up with Wrath of the Righteous, but I just had to take a break to play Subnautica again. Man, what an addictive game, I can't wait for Subnautica 3 (Yes I know they're calling it Subnautica 2, but in my mind Below Zero is Subnautica 2).

I may start a YouTube channel to show some of the bases that I've built. And I'm also starting to mod it, maybe I'll show that as well if I can make a somewhat decent mod.

Nimran

Habitué
There’s a new tactics game coming soon called Unicorn Overlord by Vanillaware. I got the free demo on my Switch, and I am enjoying it immensely. I will likely buy the game when it comes out, and the progress I make in the demo will carry over into the full game.

O_Bruce

Habitué
I got sick, and decided to try the original Fallout again and I'm going with a build that I call "Lucky Luke": a fast-shooting character with a great luck stat, which translated into critical hits, which translates into geat damage.

How it started:

scr00000.jpg

How it's going:
scr00001.jpg

scr00002.jpg

Power Armor gives out +3 to strength, plus most S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats can be risen at one point of the game, and the result is this.

Currently, I'm looking forward to purchasing Better Criticals (for more critical hit damage) and Sniper (adds critical hit chance to ranged weapons at a rate 10 x current luck. For Luke here, that would be 100%) perks when they are available.
Luke's going to be a real killing machine.

Aside from having fun with the build, I do enjoy the mood of the original Fallout greatly. In this aspect, I believe the first game is still undefeated. Fallout 2 is too goofy at times, and Bethesda games are Bethesda games.

O_Bruce

Habitué
I wanted a good repair skill as soon as I could so that I could fix the necropolis watershed, and the generator in the glow, and also get earlier access to power armor (in case my karma wouldn't be good enough to ask for power armor as a "rescue the initiate" quest reward). It agree that it would be probably better to tag other skill than repair.

And I do agree, this game is short. Way too short.

JustKneller

Habitué
I wanted a good repair skill as soon as I could
It's been a long time, but I recall maxing out all my book skills within a week of the first time I hit The Hub. I know it was pretty early on, because you can also get the .223 there which got me through the whole game.

I've done some modding in the past, but I don't have the chops to do an overhaul mod like Resurrection or that other one. Else I would do a FO2 campaign in the spirit of FO1.

O_Bruce

Habitué
So, I finished Fallout 1 soon after I had written the previous post. I didn't get to level up to the 15th level for the Sniper perk, unfortunately, so I dealt with the main villain while my build was still incomplete. It was easy enough, though. The Sniper perk would make the fight a cakewalk
1.jpg

2.jpg

No single super stimpack was used in this playthrough. No deaths either, not counting my companions (but that's pretty much given in F1)

Now, I created my character in Fallout 2

F2.jpg

Lina would be a character who uses her charm, wit, and stealth to get through the game. In combat, she will count on her companions the most. I have played the character for a bit, and early combat encounters were not pleasant, to the point I made use of stealth. But once Lina recruited her first companion, combat became much more manageable.

I halted the playthrough for now, since I still have to finish Baldur's Gate 2 with SCS on insane difficulty. There is progress, while mages were the bane of my existence, I learned more ways to deal with them. Except for Liches, I still feel like I have no good answers for them.

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
I still haven’t played Fallout, but I suspect I might like it with its isometric perspective. Is there an enhanced version that plays nice with modern computers, or do you have to MacGyver it with mods to get it running?

m7600

Habitué
@OrlonKronsteen Fallout 1 is absolutely awesome, you should definitely give it a chance. Fallout 2 is pretty good as well, but the first game is way better, especially in regards to the tone and the ambience of the setting, as other users have already pointed out.

I have the original version of both games and I'm able to play them just fine even on Linux, using an emulator. You should be fine on windows, no need for mods. At most I imagine that you might need to use something like DosBox, but I wouldn't know since I haven't tried that.

JustKneller

Habitué
I still haven’t played Fallout, but I suspect I might like it with its isometric perspective. Is there an enhanced version that plays nice with modern computers, or do you have to MacGyver it with mods to get it running?
I play the GOG version on my laptop (which isn't super old) without any issues. I just noticed that both are on sale for 75% off. You can get both for $5.

Chronicler

Habitué
I'm playing Bravely Default 2 right now.

Early impression is I like it more than Bravely Default 1. Bravely Default 1 was cool in a lot of ways, and the gameplay in particular was top notch, but it kind of lost me with the sex humour. It was a lot of old anime style slapstick "Ooh, funny, the man did something perverted and the girl put him in his place" type stuff. You'd meet the wise old sage and he'd be one of those Lecher Types like Master Roshi or Jiraiya who's gonna need you to pose in a sexy dress or something before he offers his help. It was weirdly persistent. They'd liberally seasoned the plot with sex comedy so you were never too far away from the next gag.

Where Bravely Default 2 so far seems to be free of that stuff.

Nimran

Habitué
Okay, so having completed the demo for Unicorn Overlord, I can honestly say this game is a good 9/10 for me, just based on the demo. It’s a real-time w/pause strategy game where you control and manage an army of rebels who are trying to liberate their kingdom from an evil empire. Yes, the story (so far) is as basic as it sounds, but where the game really shines is in its systems. There are some deep customization options for equipment and tactics that can tailor units to almost any specific taste.

For starters, units don’t go into battle alone. Instead, you build ‘units’ as teams of 2-5 soldiers. There are a variety of soldier types that you can recruit and unlock by progressing through the game, and you decide which ones to put in a unit. Each individual soldier has a set of active skills and passive skills that are unique to their class. That’s already a good deal of customization, but it doesn’t stop there. Over the course of the game, you can find or buy equipment that can give the wielder new skills. This gives variety to different soldiers of the same class.

Another point of customization is the tactics system. Combat is automatic, with the soldiers of two opposing units taking turns based on their initiative, with the higher initiative troops going before the lower. Combat is resolved when both teams run out of AP (used for active skills, which are usually attacks or big heals; passive skills, which are usually buffs, quick heals, defensive skills, etc. use PP, which is its own thing). Tactics allow you to set conditions for when and where a soldier uses their skills. There are also some equipment options that give extra PP (don’t know about AP yet).

It’s a very fun game so far, and I’m definitely getting it when it comes out in two days.

Top Bottom