What's the last game you've finished?

Fandraxx

Habitué
The Blackwell Legacy! An old-school point-and-click made in... 2006?

That was pretty much what made me want to play it, cause the mid-2000s decidedly weren't a fertile time for the adventure game genre. Overall? Pretty good. Technically dated but more than worth the time. Found it interesting enough that there's a video in production for it now.

maxresdefault.jpg

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I finished Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, an HD remaster for PC of a DS game from 2011 (the playthrough took ~15 hours). I played the demo during the Steam Next Fest, and had no concerns buying it when it released. It's a story-heavy puzzle game where you play as a dead (?!) detective investigating your own death.

This game is currently the #5th game of the year on Metacritic, and it fully deserves attention.

Check out the gameplay in this first part of the playthrough by the Pixel Partners YT channel.

Gameplay is very unique and nothing like I've ever seen before. A remaster of this game from 2011 feels amazingly fresh in 2023, with its stunning art style and unique puzzles.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Feeling like I'm on a roll, I finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. 12.4 hours, and yet, so many emotions. I had to come back to the game after leaving it around the '6 hours mark a few years ago as I had not been ready to enjoy and appreciate this piece of art. Now, I was. It's a very personal story about Senua who is suffering from a mental illness and has to go through various life horrors to find the meaning in life and stop abuse from those she previously trusted (and who turned out to be not whom they had seemed). It's a very dark and grim tale in the Scandinavian setting, with an exceptional level of cinematics and sound design. And the Scandinavian part is true to John Bauer's (and artists/writers' like him) take on the folklore, not something you see in the Marvel movies. The gameplay is a mixture of action, adventure, puzzles, and combat. The binaural sound, the atmosphere, and the way they show the main character in the cutscenes (the direction) make it a very special game.

20230704213229_1.jpg

20230703205334_1.jpg

20230704130417_1.jpg

20230705163737_1.jpg

20230704131027_1.jpg

Skatan

Innkeeper
Staff member
Just finished XCom 2 again. I had completely forgotten how obvious they made that there was going to be an XCom 3 and that it would be based on terrors from the deep... It's a shame it was never done.
Haven't heard that. Xcom2 was a huge success I thought. I played a bit of all the old Xcoms, 1-3, and enjoyed them a lot. The terror from the deep was a great take!

O_Bruce

Habitué
Finished Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. I want to beat entire BG1 and BG2 on SCS before I'll purchase and play BG3, so I'm now halfway there.

Now, for people who beat SoD before... It is just me or it is exhausting? The last 1-2 hour of the game feels really tiring, and some combat sections were designed more as a way to irritate than challenge.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
This weekend, I finished Cocoon - a very small (~5-6 hours) game that has a Metascore of 92 and is nominated for the best indie game of the year.

It's certainly one of the most pleasing games of the year. It's a puzzle game with very good-looking art design. Can recommend it to absolutely everyone! It's very rewarding to solve the puzzles while absolutely chilling to the soundtrack and nice visuals.

Cocoon1.jpg

Cocoon2.jpg

Cocoon3.jpg

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
aa12.png

I finished Nier: Automata, and this is only the beginning. Gameplay-wise, the game is perfect. It tells a very intriguing story in a fascinating world where androids fight machines. The main themes are finding value in life and the reasons people kill. But Ending A leaves more questions than answers. Considering the game is rather short, and very addictive, I plan to dive back in and see what happens now, during the second playthrough.

P.S. And a few minutes in, it's evident the "second" playthrough (probably it's better to call it "Nier: Automata Part 2") would be different as it starts with a totally different cutscene and gameplay sequence. This game has been surprising me all the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom