All Things Space

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

ESA’s Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer (Juice) lifted off on an Ariane 5 rocket from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana. The successful launch marks the beginning of an ambitious voyage to uncover the secrets of the ocean worlds around giant planet Jupiter.

Thanks to the legacy of previous Jupiter missions it's known that three of the planet’s largest moons – Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto – hold quantities of water buried under their surfaces in volumes far greater than in Earth’s oceans. These planet-sized moons offer hints that conditions for life could exist other than here on our planet, and Juice is equipped to bring us one step closer to answering this alluring question.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Today, to celebrate the 20th birthday of ESA’s Mars Express, we've got the chance to get as close as it’s currently possible to a live view from Mars directly from the Visual Monitoring Camera on board ESA’s long-lived and still highly productive martian orbiter.

“This is an old camera, originally planned for engineering purposes, at a distance of almost three million kilometres from Earth – this hasn’t been tried before and to be honest, we’re not 100% certain it’ll work,” explained James Godfrey, Spacecraft Operations Manager at ESA’s mission control center in Darmstadt, Germany.

“But I’m pretty optimistic. Normally, we see images from Mars and know that they were taken days before. I’m excited to see Mars as it is now – as close to a Martian ‘now’ as we can possibly get!’

Turned out, it was possible! The delay was only from 3 to 22 mins.

m7600

Habitué
Ok, let's start placing bets on what there could be under the ice in Europa.

I'm betting 5 copper pieces that there are living microbes, at the very least.

I'm also placing a bet of 3 copper pieces that there is something similar to plant life. Sessile organisms of some sort, even if they're not plants in a genetic sense.

Finally, I'm betting 1 copper piece that there is something similar to animals. Organisms capable of mobility. I expect them to be small but not microscopic, maybe similar to small crustaceans.

m7600

Habitué
I never thought of that. Would there not be radiation under the ice?
Maybe... But since we're speculating, if there are alien lifeforms, some of them might find radiation beneficial, just as some deep-sea organisms find volcanic vents beneficial.

If there really are alien lifeforms, they could be unlike anything that we have here on Earth. Maybe they don't have cells. Maybe they aren't carbon-based...

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
Extremophiles show we know nothing about life requisites. They often exist in places where no life should exist.

There was a strong movement a few years ago that we should stop looking for life signs only on Earth-like planets and extend our search to any planet where the conditions match our own extremophiles. To them we would be extremophiles, living in a world with a corrosive/explosive atmosphere, surrounded by one of the most potent solvents in existence :)

Top Bottom