Games you're looking forward to

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
In this thread, feel free to mention and discuss games (announced/unannounced but rumoured etc) that have captured your interest and why.

Very often, for small indie developers, it's the word of mouth in the first place that helps bring more attention to their games. Sometimes, real gems go unnoticed for a long time.

So if you personally have found a game and started to feel hyped/enthusiastic/optimistic about it, share with others!

It would be also very entertaining to come back to the comments when the games mentioned here get released, to be able to compare expectations and the end product.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'll start with 2 games: Broken Roads by Drop Bear Bytes and Weird West by WolfEye Studios.

Broken Roads (Release Date 2022)

ss_36ebf5e943488036cae17b0135bdce0ae4559e36.1920x1080.jpg

It's an upcoming isometric RPG set in post-apocalyptic Australia. The immediate comparison is the earlier Fallout games: the isometric style, the turn-based combat, the post-apocalyptic theme, and the promise of big, difficult decisions.

Authentic Australian locations and environments, and hand-drawn artwork already make the game stand out from others.

According to the interview with Craig Ritchie, game director of Broken Roads and founder of Drop Bear Bytes (Escapist Magazine), Broken Roads basks in its philosophical occupation and distinctive setting, and one of its major mechanics is the “Moral Compass” system. Morality systems aren’t new in video games, but the one in Broken Roads is a reaction to the binary delineations that underpin so many games. “I was thinking, ‘How can we do something that is more organic?’” said Ritchie. “We wanted to have a thing that limits but adapts at the same time.”

As a result, the Moral Compass is a circle with 36,000 positions, broken into quadrants that reflect ways of being in the real world: humanism, utilitarianism, Machiavellianism, and nihilism. Even then, though, one challenge was avoiding the perception that the quadrants on either side of the compass are opposites, though “they do have opposing premises on which they’re built and then opposing ways that, if you see the world this way, you’re going to have a totally different value system.”

In that interview, Ritchie name-dropped and drew comparisons to RPGs as thematically and temporally disparate as Disco Elysium, Jagged Alliance, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Weird West (Release Date Jan 11, 2022)

ss_a3e8a59fa8c74b3c88a951402ca18931f8bf8f8c.1920x1080.jpg

It's an upcoming isometric action RPG / immersive sim. According to PC Gamer, Raphaël Colantonio, Weird West’s creative director, previously led Arkane's admirable effort to keep the immersive sim genre alive with Dishonored and Prey. In 2017, Colantonio left the studio he founded, and in 2019 he formed a new studio called WolfEye. Arkane went on to release Deathloop, a slick, modernized take on the genre, whereas WolfEye's Weird West travels back in time and plucks from classic RPGs like Fallout, arguing for an immersive sim that doesn't revolve around you.

In an interview by Screen Rant, Raphaël says the weird west "is a very, very niche genre. It’s not like a specific product, [where] I look at it like, what is "medieval fantasy" to "medieval?" If you look at those worlds – whether it’s the medieval worlds or the wild west – they both have something in common, in that it’s a one-to-one kind of world. If you think “medieval,” everybody imagines the same thing, like a knight coming on a horse is going to save this princess or whatever it is that would make this world, and there’s a troll on the way.

Of course, it’s inspired by old legends, but there’s something else. They all have these clichés, and those simple worlds allow for actually very accessible stories, that can [yet] be extremely deep and interesting and relatable, as opposed to some more modern politics or complicated conflicts with conspiracies. So I think that’s why these worlds are so easy to be drawn into. They usually go with simple stories of revenge or control of land, things that many people can grasp.

Now, if you add the mystery layer to that, you know, sorcery, magic, occult, weird horror, whatever it is, and get inspired by things like Lovecraft or Edgar Allan Poe, then you have, I think, a very interesting world. And some of us were …So it just felt…We did not look at it like a marketing opportunity. It’s interesting because it is, I think, a market opportunity. Because there aren’t that many, it’s a weird like, small niche that hasn’t been exploited at all. But that’s not how we looked at it, we just looked at it like, what is that we want to do? And it felt compelling to all of us."

The game's features include Bespoke Experience (each playthrough is unique as the game tailors the story to the player's actions and past choices for an ideal dramatic arc) and Immersive Sim (Weird West supports different styles of play in a simulated sandbox world where characters, factions, and even places react to a player's decisions.

alice_ashpool

Habitué
I too am looking forward to BG3, I had a lot of time in the early beta but didn't play much with the subsequent (slowly released) patches due to the same reasons. I do like that BG3 does a relatively decent job of disguising how stripped back (and in my opinion dull) the 5e rules are - personally, having played a lot of Solasta and BG3 beta I don't think they make a good ruleset for a cRPG, with neither the spellcasting complexity of 2e nor the overall crunchy-ness of the 3e/Pathfinder 1 stuff. Sorcerer is one of those things where I look at the class in 5e and its like playing in the ruins of a fallen civilisation.

On the plus side all the other RPG goodness is there with BG3 and I am looking forward to Alice the Githyanki Priestess of Vlaakith doing her thing.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
As I have mentioned in another thread already, I hadn't really been paying attention to new or announced games until very recently (except for following Baldur's Gate 3), because they were out of my old laptop's league anyway. Now that I have a new one, the possibilities have grown, and with them my curiosity for shiny new experiences out there. So don't judge me for discovering now what others have known about for a while.

I was searching about announced games, especially RPGs, and since it's no secret I'm a big fan of the Mass Effect trilogy, I was looking if there's anything noteworthy of science fiction out there.

Yes! Definitely!

View attachment 243

I was absolutely excited to find out about Starfield! Apparently Bethesda already announced it in 2018, and this year in June they published the first teaser and the release date, 11.11.2022.

After watching the cinematic teaser only, which obviously doesn't give much information yet, I was already completely flashed. My teenage future astronaut dreams come true!

What do we know?

It's set in the year 2330, in a part of the Milky Way that's called The Settled Systems, about 50 light years away from the solar system. 20 years ago, there was a war between the United Colonies and the Freestar Collective, the two most important factions in the Settled Systems. They're at peace now, sort of, but it's still a dangerous region, full of pirates and mercenary groups.

In June 2021, Bethesda Game Studios Executive Producer Todd Howard gave an interview to the Washington Post , where he called the game a "Skyrim in space".

(from the interview):
According to Howard, in “Starfield” players will join an organization dubbed Constellation, the last group of space explorers. At the outset, players will choose their character’s background, with many options for customization that will impact how some things in the game unfold.

Istvan Pely, the game’s lead artist, dubbed the look of the game “NASA punk,” Howard said.

We haven't seen actual gameplay yet, but there's more material about locations and factions on the official website . Also, it has been confirmed that the game will support mods.

I can't even say what my expectations are, to compare to reality later. I'm just super excited that there's going to be a great new RPG in space. I want to explore unknown planets, fly a space ship, walk around on dodgy black market smuggler moons, learn about cool technology, fight space pirates and mercenary gangs, and generally discover a new and fascinating world populated with interesting people, both potential new friends and enemies.
This will be available day 1 in Game Pass.. .probably a few days before release as Forza Horizon 5... I'm a subscriber... Guess what I'll do :)

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Today I learned about Corsairs Legacy - Pirate Action RPG by an indie developer Mauris.

The release date is shown as 2022 but it sounds a bit too soon.

Basically, this is a game inspired by old classic Sea Dogs games and, as explained on Steam, the developers have spoken to original Sea Dogs developers, mod developers, and developers of other projects related to those games.

The project got a teaser just 1 week ago:

To learn more about what kind of game this can be, you should read through this piece by PC Gamer on mods for the original Sea Dogs games:

I also have to mention there is a remaster of an old game being developed as well:

Sea Dogs: Legendary Edition

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Wierd West got another trailer, explaining (in less than 2 mins) its environmental interaction. I'm so looking forward to trying out these opportunities (they've added elements of stealth games where you can draw enemy's attention to an object by throwing it into the enemy's line of sight; they've also added surfaces - you can fire oil, electrify water; you can even gather water from the rain into a barrel and drink from it restoring your health!)

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Songs of Conquest (Release Date: Q2 2022 for Early Access)

ss_1465c7c8ff6b6758ff7321c3d826162064b1e8c2.1920x1080.jpg

I've first seen this game during E3 in 2019. It's an upcoming turn-based strategy game developed by Lavapotion and inspired by 90s classics such as Heroes of Might and Magic III. I'm a great fan of HoMM 3 and I like what I read about Songs of Conquest.

Here is a small interview with the team behind Songs of Conquest for Cubed3d:

"You can play it in Skirmish mode to just slug it out with the AI or other friends or you can play our campaign which tells the story of our fantastic world and the Wielders who walk it. As to why it is unique, I would say it's unique since we've added some exciting gameplay mechanics to a concept we thought needed it. And our world, even though inspired by cultures and fiction, is our own and we're very excited to see how our future players will like it. One of the things is the magic system I suppose. Our magic is based on something called The Essence. It's sort of like the soul of a being but also something that can be infused in objects. Wielders are your leaders and they can draw on the Essence around them to cast mighty spells. In a gameplay meaning this means that you will have to build your army in a certain way to unlock the spells you think will help you best. If you want to damage your foes you need to bring troops that have the Destruction essence and if you want to make your troops stronger the essence of Order is better suited.

HoMM 2 & 3 are huge inspirations for us when making this game and we will hopefully scratch that itch for those who want to play that type of game again, but we are doing our own thing with SoC. At Lavapotion, we have a wide variety of players that bring so much creativity and their own references to the table which makes Songs of Conquest a fully unique experience.

We've looked at a lot of both new and old games and I've always loved the old rpgs like fallout and Baldurs Gate and the sort of turn based action they provide. So when it comes to that we've looked at it for sure, but not in a larger sense than that."

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Wow, this does look like old good "Heroes"! I stopped playing the series after HoMM4 (which was not bad at all too). I liked HoMM3 the most (no surprise), but I have also good memories playing HoMM2. And this is probably the only game I ever played in multi (well, hot seat, but still).

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to Starfield so much. I think it's obvious Elden Ring will be awarded as the Game of the Year, but there is hope (a small one tbh) Starfield can also turn out to be a fun and quality game, and move the genre of open-world RPGs forward.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to Starfield so much. I think it's obvious Elden Ring will be awarded as the Game of the Year, but there is hope (a small one tbh) Starfield can also turn out to be a fun and quality game, and move the genre of open-world RPGs forward.

Speaking about which...

Today Bethesda offered a new peek at the world and mechanics of Starfield in a new video (I like the format of dialogues between game designers btw):

In that video, game director Todd Howard, design director Emil Pagliarulo, lead quest designer Will Shen, and lead artist Istvan Pely touch on a few elements of the sci-fi role-playing game. Howard and Pely say that Starfield will include character depth akin to “older, hardcore RPGs” and that the studio has “severely leveled up” its player-created characters.

“It’s nice with Starfield to go back to some things we didn’t do — the backgrounds, the traits, defining your character, all of those stats,” Howard says. “There are so many games that do those things that people are ready for something that does a lot of the things that older, hardcore RPGs — some that we used to do, doing those again in a new way.”

Elsewhere in the video, Shen and Pely discuss Bethesda’s willingness (and requirement) to “embrace the chaos” of interlocking character choices and factions; Howard and Pely wax about in-game companions and the importance of how those characters feel about and respond to you; and Shen and Pagliarulo touch on Starfield’s persuasion system, a dialogue interaction mechanic that sounds, perhaps intentionally, influenced by The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion’s systems.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Weird West (Release Date Jan 11, 2022)

View attachment 240

It's an upcoming isometric action RPG / immersive sim. According to PC Gamer, Raphaël Colantonio, Weird West’s creative director, previously led Arkane's admirable effort to keep the immersive sim genre alive with Dishonored and Prey. In 2017, Colantonio left the studio he founded, and in 2019 he formed a new studio called WolfEye. Arkane went on to release Deathloop, a slick, modernized take on the genre, whereas WolfEye's Weird West travels back in time and plucks from classic RPGs like Fallout, arguing for an immersive sim that doesn't revolve around you.

In an interview by Screen Rant, Raphaël says the weird west "is a very, very niche genre. It’s not like a specific product, [where] I look at it like, what is "medieval fantasy" to "medieval?" If you look at those worlds – whether it’s the medieval worlds or the wild west – they both have something in common, in that it’s a one-to-one kind of world. If you think “medieval,” everybody imagines the same thing, like a knight coming on a horse is going to save this princess or whatever it is that would make this world, and there’s a troll on the way.

Of course, it’s inspired by old legends, but there’s something else. They all have these clichés, and those simple worlds allow for actually very accessible stories, that can [yet] be extremely deep and interesting and relatable, as opposed to some more modern politics or complicated conflicts with conspiracies. So I think that’s why these worlds are so easy to be drawn into. They usually go with simple stories of revenge or control of land, things that many people can grasp.

Now, if you add the mystery layer to that, you know, sorcery, magic, occult, weird horror, whatever it is, and get inspired by things like Lovecraft or Edgar Allan Poe, then you have, I think, a very interesting world. And some of us were …So it just felt…We did not look at it like a marketing opportunity. It’s interesting because it is, I think, a market opportunity. Because there aren’t that many, it’s a weird like, small niche that hasn’t been exploited at all. But that’s not how we looked at it, we just looked at it like, what is that we want to do? And it felt compelling to all of us."

The game's features include Bespoke Experience (each playthrough is unique as the game tailors the story to the player's actions and past choices for an ideal dramatic arc) and Immersive Sim (Weird West supports different styles of play in a simulated sandbox world where characters, factions, and even places react to a player's decisions.
This was released today! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097350/Weird_West/

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, not yet! But this I'm going to play 💯!

Some reviews (it doesn't bother me much that the reviews are in the ~70-80 range).

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Trek to Yomi (by Leonard Menchiari) - Releases 5 May, 2022, announced this week.

Trek To Yomi is the tale of a young swordsman in feudal Japan, whose vow to protect his town leads him on an adventure taking a supernatural turn. Yomi is the land of the dead. So off he goes, stabbing in side-scrolling violence with dramatic camera angles.

RockPaperShotgun's ed recently "had a go on a preview chunk. He quite liked what he played, calling the combat "elegant", and especially liking what he saw. "I'm convinced it's going to be the most Instagrammable game out there," Ed said in his preview. He concluded, "Trek To Yomi is a refined samurai slasher that shows great potential. There's no bloat here, only a simple story backed by a gorgeous setting and refined combat. I'm keen to unsheathe my blade and get back in there - mainly so I can get some more nice screenshots."

I am not easily interested in action-adventure games & side-scrollers, but the Japanese flair on this one looks so tempting.

That is the gameplay screenshot below: 😮

ss_1d5a360df41a82d27e83ca93c920e4c02264b1aa.1920x1080.jpg

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Interesting, I wonder if Vasco will be more akin to HK-47, an assassin droid from Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic, or security robots known from Fallout series (Victor in Fallout: New Vegas or Codsworth in Fallout 4) or maybe it'll be similar to Legion, as mentioned by Urdnot_Wrex. Or perhaps it will be completely something different? I wonder how much sentient it'll be. Can't wait to see the flesh and blood characters. As much as Vasco is intriguing, I always prefered living characters.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
First mentioned in July 2021, Sovereign Syndicate (a cRPG set in Victorian steampunk London) by Crimson Herring Studios got a Steam page refresh 2 weeks ago, adding new screenshots and a trailer that shows off more gameplay and the new UI.

To get some additional player feedback and show off all the latest content they've also launched a public playtest in preparation for a full demo release.

ss_0e2324532bde30d20f46c5f0cc2e55f4da798272.1920x1080.jpg

Looks very promising. @IsaacCHS

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Bethesda released a video about Starfield's music:

Audio director Mark Lampert and Starfield composer Inon Zur chat about what music means to them, and why it is important for the overall gameplay experience.

"I always say, music is the fourth dimension. It is the emotional dimension," Zur explains. "In order to create this, you have to ask these questions - where are you going? What is your motivation? What is your story? What is really pushing us?" It is these questions, that Zur says are "as big as space", that drove the compressor forward with his work on the game.

Lampert reiterates the importance of music within a game. "The main theme sets the tone for everything else we do," he states.

In addition to this, some more of Starfield's concept art was also revealed within the video. These pictures give fans a small taster of some of the worlds they will be visiting on the game's release, but they also played a key part in helping the musicians' compositions grow.

Zur revealed that seeing some of the artwork for the game left him "inspired". He wanted his music for Starfield to have a "circular" motion, with a sense of going out, adventuring and discovering and then returning once more. "There is always this drive to go back home... we want to complete our mission; we want to complete our journey."

The composer used different sections of the orchestra to portray different parts of the world, likening the woodwind section to particles in space. Meanwhile, Zur explained how the string section will play long chords and crescendos to create a "blanket" around the waves of space, and the brass section acts as a beacon calling out to the player.

starfield-orange-world.jpg

starfield-green-world.jpg

starfield-space-base.jpg

Top Bottom