Industry News / Upcoming Games

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I'll be honest, I was very disappointed with all those gaming conventions until Xbox Showcase, which saved the day, basically.

There are a couple of games that caught my attention, to be sure:
  • Starfield (I was hyped, then skeptical, then "we'll see", and now I think it may actually work)
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (obviously, but at least first trailer was very underwhelming)
  • Fable (this trailer was fantastic, and I loved the first Fable back in the day)
  • Clockwork Revolution (I wasn't a fan of Bioshock, but Fargo said it's a rpg through and through, so it goes to my notebook)

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Here is an example of a surprise indie game that is becoming a smashing hit. DAVE THE DIVER, a casual, singleplayer adventure RPG featuring deep-sea exploration and fishing during the day and sushi restaurant management at night, launched the 1.0 version yesterday, already has 12k+ reviews on Steam (the game had been in Early Access since October) and a 97% positive rating.

"Dave the Diver is a sensational game that combines deep sea diving and restaurant management to create an experience that must be played to be believed. The amount of ideas packed into this adventure is ludicrous, and thanks to a whole lot of varied missions you’ll always have something to be working towards."

Last week, there was a story about another indie game that dominated the Steam charts.

"The $15, 254-player FPS made by four people has been a top seller on the platform since it released in early access a week ago, managing to outperform the most popular games on Steam and even Starfield preorders."

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'd wanted to link an article about the U.S. Federal Trade Commission trial for a while, and finally found the one I'd consider a deep insight into the game industry.

First, read this piece by Kotaku:

"Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella gave testimony during the FTC vs. Microsoft hearing that’s been making headlines since June 22. As reported by The Verge, he was asked about exclusives and pointed fingers at the PlayStation maker.

“If it was up to me I would love to get rid of the entire exclusives on consoles, but that’s not for me to define especially as a low-share player in the console market,” Nadella said. “The dominant player there [Sony] has defined market competition using exclusives, so that’s the world we live in. I have no love for that world.”

And now, read the opinion of an IGN author:

"I’ve been interviewing Microsoft and Xbox executives since 2019 and keeping careful notes on how the company has marketed its new console, cloud gaming service, and position against Sony. I found that some of the insights that came out of the trial testimony and documents demonstrate what Microsoft was really thinking internally and contrast directly with their external marketing. At times, Microsoft confidently showed off new products, while internally admitting to bigger worries, all of which highlight the ways the games industry relies on a culture of secrecy, and why this trial is such an important moment to understanding this industry." - Shannon Liao can certainly tease. I'd recommend reading the whole article. Here are some snippets:

"In 2020, Xbox told me that the strategy was to reach gamers where they are, whether that’s on the subscription service Game Pass or on Windows PCs. But in internal documents and testimony, Xbox admitted that it would have liked to sell games exclusively on Xbox consoles… it started to bundle these titles on Windows to grow revenue, according to Spencer. “That’s not something Sony does,” he said in court.

In a panel with reporters earlier this month, Spencer echoed this, saying of Xbox’s strategy, “We’re going to focus on allowing player choice, but we know that console is kind of the core to how people think.”

Xbox is trying to play all sides here and is changing up its tune depending on who’s asking. The FTC trial has given us a unique look at what’s truly going on though: according to the internal documents, Microsoft executives saw their growth was slowing down and sought to build out a compelling way to reach mobile gamers using cloud gaming. When the U.K. antitrust regulator cited cloud gaming as a reason to block the deal, Microsoft revealed major shortcomings to the technology — issues that Spencer and Gluckstein had discussed in internal emails in 2019. The company hoped outwardly that casual mobile gamers would pick up Project xCloud, but internally, it feared that only hardcore gamers would give the cloud a try, and even they might not care. And even though Microsoft lags behind its console competitors, it’s fully intent on spending its way to the top, similar to what it tried with Mixer and its $10 million contracts to lure Twitch streamers."

If you're interested in the whole trial, check out this link:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
And here you go, a summary of that "controversy" by PC Gamer, now with Swen Vincke's response:

Touche!

BG3 continues to remain the main topic of the industry, almost for the whole month already (!). Started with the Panel from Hell in July and the druid bear scene, continued with that controversy thread on Twitter, then continued with pre-order numbers, then with huge concurrent player numbers on Steam, now with a 97 review rating on Metacritic and challenging Zelda for the game of the year.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still playing through BG3 (currently 180 hours in, almost at the end of Act 2). Just had to mention that Starfield got released in "Early Access" before the main release tomorrow. Initially, the game started at 88 on Metacritic, and dropped to 86 as of now. I don't have the game and don't plan to play it, and what I read after the game release contributed to my previous negative feelings towards it. Your mileage might vary, depending on the expectations you've had though.

From what I've read, Starfield is more like Fallout 4 than Skyrim, and I'm definitely more of a Skyrim person myself. If you enjoyed F4, there is a good chance you'd enjoy Starfield. However, if you enjoyed and loved Skyrim for what it was, there is a chance Starfield would disappoint you.

Here is a video by Cohh Carnage after ~7 hours in the game showing the game followed his expectations and he seems to be enjoying it:

However, what affected me personally were 3 big reviews from "big" media outlets which I usually follow: PC Gamer, IGN, and Gamespot (75, 70, and 70 review scores appropriately), and also Emil Pagliarulo's interview about Starfield:

Here are snippets from the Gamespot's review that talk to me on a deep level:

"Starfield's main quest is the most emblematic of the game's shortcomings. Despite romanticizing the idea of taking to the stars to explore the great unknown, these narrative ambitions fall into shallow stories that undersell the spacefaring premise. You start as a lowly miner extracting resources for a faceless corporation and within minutes, come in contact with an "Artifact" that activates mysterious visions of something bigger out in the galaxy--a sort of leaving-the-vault moment like in Fallout. You're then shuffled into the ranks of a small organization called Constellation, whose sole purpose is to chase these Artifacts and uncover their purpose. With the handful of characters who make up the group, Starfield tries to instill personality into its story, but consistently weak writing and generic dialogue means these characters--who do have a few interesting moments along the way--largely fall flat. It's especially tough to buy into the Artifact-collecting scenario when the game's story extolls the virtues of science, yet undermines them by haphazardly throwing around scientific concepts in dialogue and then resorting to inexplicable supernatural forces that everyone in-game seems to just accept at face value. There's very little weight or impact given to what characters often describe as great discoveries that could change the course of history, and it's missing an earnest examination on the nature of humanity's place in space, even when it tries to be self-reflective. I was never asking Starfield to lecture me on quantum physics, but I hoped for a story that wants to pay reverence to the scientific philosophies that make the genre intriguing to give those concepts their necessary respect."

"Accounting for all its ups and downs, the main thing I wrestle with is that Starfield is missing an overall sense of purpose. My favorite RPGs have their fair share of shortcomings and limitations, but the best ones always leave a lasting impact that comes through having a clear purpose. Even my favorite Bethesda RPGs do this well. Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim have intricate magic systems, cultures to familiarize yourself with, and rewards for exploration in whichever direction you wander in. Obsidian's Fallout: New Vegas drops you in a barren desert wasteland as a nobody, yet is so full of personality, humor, and sobering examinations of the human condition in the wake of a societal collapse. I can't help but feel Starfield banked on the intrigue of space exploration and the vastness of the cosmos, and forgot to create an identity beyond that. Despite the nigh-limitless possibilities the final frontier offers, Starfield's version of humanity remains largely homogeneous--300 or so years into the future across the galaxy, and the game's imagination rarely extends beyond the sci-fi archetypes we've seen many a time. It doesn't have much to say about humanity leaving Earth behind and doesn't really reckon with the realities that dictate the world--our world--that inspires its very premise. In the periphery, you can learn about how life is sustainable across the galaxy or tease out lore on how governments and religions evolved, but Starfield struggles to integrate that into its core ethos. I didn't come in expecting something poetic like the Carl Sagan books I read growing up, awe-inspiring like The Outer Wilds, or as intricate as the sci-fi lore built over the course of the Mass Effect trilogy. But I did want something more than the pared-down Bethesda template transposed over a space setting."

"The Bad
Uninspired main story with weak writing and characterization
Underwhelming vision of space exploration and humanity's spacefaring future
Shallow RPG mechanics with regard to dialogue, quest solutions, and influencing outcome
Terrible map system makes key locations tough to navigate"

Black Elk

Habitué
I'm getting pretty excited for Star Trek: Infinite so I basically just teleported some enthusiasm and anticipation over to that one lol.

I mean when your target audience is squarely in the 29.99 quadrant, leaves a little more room to get stoked.

If I exclude Star Wars games, and Mass Effect, then my favorite sorts of 'Space' games are really more in the 4x genre than CRPG.

Master of Orion and the sequel MOO2 were top favs, as two very well knocked off Star Trek type games, which I enjoyed more than the actual Star Trek games and there have been many of those. MOO CTS and Stellaris pretty much same deal.

Stellaris I think was more compelling as a game, and certainly had more staying power, but I still found that last MOO title pretty fun too despite its many shortcomings. (I dont speak of MOO3 as that game dissappointed me greatly.) But anyway, now the peeps that brought us those, are using the Stellaris framework to do this. Go figure!

This I think could work though, I mean they already had Worf as the narrator for MOO:CTS and Stellaris is Stellaris, so that gives them some street cred with me. Like at least they probably got a few people on comms who know who to call, ya know hehe.

shopping.jpeg

I like Berkey illustrations and the whole vibe like the Expanse that I think people wanted from Starfield, but it's just hard to do a setup for that without going all Aliens all over the place and having that be the central thing that drives it. I think it's more fun to roleplay an entire spacefaring civilization rather than a spacefaring individual, or crew of individuals on a ship, but that's probably for a whole host of reasons specific to my own gaming background.

My Trek era is definitely DS9. I could try to claim TNG but that was like only in syndication. DS9 hooked in just at the right age. Obviously Picard season 3 was great, an unabashed success, and I'm all for Legacy, but some of the newer stuff I can do without. Show me a clip with DS9 and promises of multigenerational conflicts vs Cardassia and I'm on board. I know what to look out for, and exactly what I want from that. It doesn't need to blow my mind with the graphics hehe. Black construction paper will do, if they can nail the rest! Right? Like of course depending entirely on whether you thought Stellaris was cool I guess. But I did, so gives me that gamma ray of hope for a Halloween still lost in space.

For me, when imagining hopeful humanistic futures, if we don't get the Federation out the deal, then somebody fucked up big time. I still wish they'd get the ball rolling sooner. I want Starfleet, not Space Force or SpaceX. Anything less is bound to be disapointing! hehe

Last edited:

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member

Chronicler

Habitué
Apparently the current CEO of Unity is the former CEO of EA Games or something like that, which explains a lot.

A couple of the games I play use the engine, so I wonder if they're going to transition to something else.

Fate Grand Order has been wrestling with its spaghetti code pretty much since it launched. They were expecting it to just be some shitty mobile game, not a tentpole of the franchise making 7 billion dollars a year. Would probably be worth the investment to take this opportunity to finally sort out their shit, but I suspect it won't come to that.

Black Elk

Habitué
Hehehe like a straight up cartoon villain? Lol

Used to cater for Electonic Arts on rogue occassions during the tail end of this dude's tenure. The whole corporate culture there felt sorta weird and not particularly game oriented. I mean compared to Namco USA or Roblox, or like literally everyone else, who seemed to throw better parties. Just sunday bars there, making a mess, probably cause of the ice cream pedigree lol. Even CBS did that better though, during the same time frame. Like at least they had us dress up as Black Ops II zombie cater-waiters, before showering the carpet with sprinkles and butterscotch and oreo cookie crumbles that I'd have to clean up later. When they launched a new game least people seemed to have fun.

I think it maybe starts at the top sometimes and filters down. Certainly it was a storied legacy at one point for EA. But you can just look at the guy for 2 seconds and know for sure that this individual doesn't have a fucking clue how to "Skate or Die!" Lol. You know what I'm saying.

skate_or_die_01.jpg

Like who puts these mopes in charge anyway? I think the dude who replaced him at EA might have been worse. I judge em all based on how well they fed their employees hehe.

Apparently this blew back so hard with the Unity thing that they had to like cancel work and close offices today? Like a real wingnut thing... kinda depressing.

Pretty crazy

Last edited:

Black Elk

Habitué
Meanwhile in a less dispiriting corner of the galaxy... I'll take this second positive preview of Star Trek: Infinity as a good sign!

Also on the grand strategy 4x front. I saw this the other day. It's a mod overhaul of Empire: Total War, which remains a favorite despite being sorta buggy and half baked on arrival. I still have a preference for the first 2 games in that series before they went all 3d with the campaign map. But Rome and Empire were pretty cool too, and the latter I thought had a good approach for a world map with connecting theaters.

I played a lot of Empire Darth mod, but this seems next level...

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the rumor about a remaster of Oblivion was true.

Before it was acquired by Microsoft, ZeniMax Media, the parent company of studios like Bethesda Game Studios and id Software, was working on remasters of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3, and a new entry in the Doom franchise, according to new documents revealed as part of FTC v. Microsoft.

Chronicler

Habitué
I guess they've rereleased Skyrim enough times. Time to remember there are other Elder Scrolls games. God forbid, maybe even make a new one if they can find time for that.

Wonder what kind of quality of life improvements they could make to it? Oblivion is a game with a lot of charm, that I had a lot of fun with back in the day, but you spend so much time fighting the game as you play it, I haven't been able to enjoy it in a long time.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I once posted a list of mods I used, it solves the main issue of Oblivion. As for the remaster, it's difficult to say, according to the rumor, it was supposed to be using Unreal Engine and the old code in the background (which is a technically possible thing to do). It's a game that gives a very warm feeling, I still plan to return to my playthrough of it from 2 years ago.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Oblivion is the only TES game from the grand 3 (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) I actually haven't finished (main story at least). I tried twice, and both times I fall into the same trap of doing every side and guild quest available, only to lose steam for the main story. I'd be very much interested to give it a go for the third time in refreshed version.

Skatan

Innkeeper
Staff member
Meanwhile in a less dispiriting corner of the galaxy... I'll take this second positive preview of Star Trek: Infinity as a good sign!

Also on the grand strategy 4x front. I saw this the other day. It's a mod overhaul of Empire: Total War, which remains a favorite despite being sorta buggy and half baked on arrival. I still have a preference for the first 2 games in that series before they went all 3d with the campaign map. But Rome and Empire were pretty cool too, and the latter I thought had a good approach for a world map with connecting theaters.

I played a lot of Empire Darth mod, but this seems next level...

I saw these news about "ETW 2" too and I have to try it out sometime! I still have a darthmod install of ETW and play every now and then, though it's getting less and less after I became hooked on the PDX drug called EU4. I can't know how many thousands of hours I have on ETW since almost all of them are before Steam, but it's maaaany (though even more on RTW).

Still, a dream come true would be a stable ETW set in the 17th century or even 16th century. I love ETW and the 18th century, but battle-wise it can get a bit stale after a hundred hours since most battles play out rather similarly.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Another bleak day for people working in the industry. It's an absolutely great year for fans of video games, and also a totally horrible year for general developers.

The trend to gather under big umbrellas of corporations (Microsoft and Embracer acquisitions) over the last 3-5 years started to backfire very badly. I hope what it will lead to is the resurgence of small/mid indie studios around the world working with small/mid publishers.

Black Elk

Habitué
Yeah it's pretty demoralizing. Also the whole trend of trying to aggregate everything under one giant roof has just failed so miserably for anything but massive grift when you consider the space writ large. Like they consolidated a lot at the top, but then the actual workers are left holding the bag? Alas, screw that!

When people keep getting burned over and over, I think of O'Brien in that one Episode of Deep Space Nine. What was his line there, something like 'he wasn't just a hero, he was a union man!' I thought it was funny to see him in Hell on Wheels a decade or so later doing the opposite riff when playing the role of Railroad Baron trying to win at high stakes Monolopy hehe.

The Quark and Rom dynamic was always so great! Next level in that episode...

I did see this buried amidst a bunch of news about studio layoffs, which is probably news worthy as well... 98% of their members voted Yes to authorizoraztion, in case shit gets dicey at the dabo wheel in the days ahead

IGS_IMSAV_MemApprove_v1b.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom