Industry News / Upcoming Games

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Have we accepted, in general, the idea of a Season Pass as a way for studios to continue working on new content after the game's release?

How about charging extra for content that is ready to play on release day? The decision to lock a whole mission behind a Season Pass and promote it as a "Day 1 Exclusive" can do nothing but upset players who have been planning to spend $70 USD on the game already.

Chronicler

Habitué
Day 1 DLC is not great, but I'm not immediately seeing how packaging it in a Season's Pass is any scummier than it already was. That being said, I've never played a game with a season's pass, and am only going by the article's description of how they work.

tkfanYF.jpeg

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I have never been ok with BattleState Games (developer on Escape From Tarkov) because they supported the invasion of Ukraine. Now there is a chance Escape from Tarkov players will leave en masse.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

Apparently when 10 000+ negative reviews for your product appear in under 24 hours, executives notice.

Yeah, I think it was more than 210k reviews (negative) in 3 days. I'm happy that the community won there. Should be a good example for the whole industry going forward, same as with Hasbro and the DnD license just 1 year ago.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

JustKneller

Habitué
Holy hell. I'm a big fan of Obsidian and inXile and I'm generally aware of Bethesda because they now have Fallout. There was a lot of chatter after the MS acquisition of Bethesda about how, maybe if we're lucky, MS will push the Fallout IP over to Obsidian for another title (since New Vegas was a fan fav). However, the larger dialogue was about how they doubt MS was going to be hands on because (at the time) people believed their goal/strategy was just to gain ownership of anything of value and they were more focused on their console wars with Sony.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, this is probably the worst studio closure in the last 2 years. And it doesn't say anything good re/Obsidian's or even Bethesda's futures in case their games do not sell "enough" no matter what critical and player reception they get.

'

JustKneller

Habitué
And it doesn't say anything good re/Obsidian's or even Bethesda's futures

No joke! Like Obsidian isn't really a lowest common denominator developer and inXile is even less so. Bethesda has the chops for it, but attempting it with the Fallout IP hasn't done themselves any favors. I'm telling ya, this is like that critical mass theory I mentioned in another post. Eventually, no success will be good enough.

Chronicler

Habitué
That was the story with Banjo Kazooie back in the day, wasn't it?

Rare makes two beloved and financially successful games. Gets bought by Microsoft. Gets immediately dismantled. Twenty years later Microsoft remembers they have that IP and makes something with an entirely different crew that has none of the same magic or charm to it.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

Hellblade 2 can launch, be a good game, get good reviews, even win awards, and a studio like Ninja Theory still cannot feel safe, cannot know for sure if something like what happened with Hi-Fi Rush and Tango can happen to them. And if Microsoft reassures them that it won’t, how can they be trusted now?

Especially considering this:

Black Elk

Habitué
"It's In the Game!"

lol Good job Electronic Arts! 'Dynamic Ad Insertion' sounds like the fastest and most expedient way to fuck your whole player base at once hehe.

Meet "Nifty" our new personal assistant/ad assassin dominatrix (for only 4.99 more per month than the standard not quite freemium plan) powered by AI CRYPTO for a dying world... Noms!

We believe that 50% of our development processes will be positively impacted by 100% of our greed and indifference. I mean why settle for less, when we can gamble on those 1000% returns that our savviest investors keep imagining must exist? Who needs a sensible 5-10% profit margin, when you could lose it all for one shot at the advertisers Mega Lotto?! Quick, fire everyone!!! Then gather together for a big board meeting where we can take turns putting our feet in each other's mouths. Sounds rad

ps. BREAKING!

lulz.png

heheh

Last edited:
Top Bottom