No chance to play yet, how's it feel???

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, at this stage, I feel painful even to argue about that. Almost 4 years of arguing. I guess for some, it will never be "BG3" based on a myriad of reasons, e.g. not isometric, not crunchy, not Bhaalspawn, not BioWare, etc etc.

Even the Early Access of BG3 was full of original games' references. It was enough for me. And as I explained quite a few times, for developers of many studios, the term "BG3" first and foremost, meant a title that can be a successor to the original game in terms of its status, popularity, impact, and ratings. This has been completed.

Also, considering the original plan for BG3 was to make Durge a default Tav, the Bhaalspawn Saga 3 could very well be true as well. It was reworked based on the community feedback that the game only approves evil actions, and thus a separate Tav was born.

Zaxares

Habitué
I wish all those people who starting from so many years ago were ranting that this game should not be called Baldur's Gate 3 could see what I'm seeing.
I have only started to scratch the surface of Act3, and yet there is already so much, history, so much lore, places in the city, the noble families, lore about Balduran etc.

Sure, the game is not "Bhaalspawn saga 3" but first, there are far more connections to the original games than Minsc, Jaheira and a few books lying around, and second, the city itself with its rich history and lore and everything is so very well done that yes, this is definitely "Baldur's Gate 3" and worthy of the name.
Heh, I'm afraid I'm STILL on the "They shouldn't have called it Baldur's Gate 3" train, but I will admit, they did at least do Minsc and Jaheira justice with regards to their personality and motivations. I am STILL not a fan of some of the plot inconsistencies that happen due to them being there (WHY are they low-level adventurers again, for example?), and
having the Bhaalspawn such as the Dark Urge still be alive at this point basically directly contradicts the ending of BG2 (the Solar unequivocally states that only two Bhaalspawn are still alive, you and Imoen, if she still lives)
, but I've made my peace with it all at this stage. BG3 is a fantastic game by any metric and it well deserves the GOTY award, but I STILL think they could have called it "Baldur's Gate: Rise of the Absolute" etc. and it would STILL have been GOTY. It didn't need to hitch itself to the coattails of BG1/2, which as you point out, was the tale of the Bhaalspawn (specifically Gorion's Ward), and that story was concluded at the end of ToB.

Last edited:

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
This place gave me a serious deja-vu feeling. It's not that similar after actually checking pictures of the location, but it immediately reminded me a lot of that one room in the Shadow Thieves' Guildhall in BG2.

20231211232324_1.jpg

Zaxares

Habitué
This place gave me a serious deja-vu feeling. It's not that similar after actually checking pictures of the location, but it immediately reminded me a lot of that one room in the Shadow Thieves' Guildhall in BG2.

View attachment 6367
Now that you mention it... You're talking about that room in the guild hall with all of the fake locked doors for the Thieves to practice their lockpicking skills on, aren't you? :D

Top Bottom