The Candlekeep Annex: RPed Baldur’s Gate No and Low Reload Adventures

Alesia_BH

Habitué
First of all, congrats on completing SoA. Sorsha will be remembered for that and that alone. Well done! :)

And then, of course, sorry for your loss. On the good path PP challenge 1 is a serious threat. It's one of the sketchiest ToB fights. I've long felt that David should rebalance that.

As for what happened, I'm not sure. My guess would be a save lowering effect intersected with a save or else spell. Bodhi doesn't appear to have her Deathly Shroud up, so we can rule that out. Level drain does imposes a massive save penalty, ofc. As a test, try spawning Bodhi and then letting her level drain you. See how it affects Sorsha's saves. I just tried with my L19 beastmaster. She lost 8.

Borco

Habitué
As for what happened, I'm not sure. My guess would be a save lowering effect intersected with a save or else spell. Bodhi doesn't appear to have her Deathly Shroud up, so we can rule that out. Level drain does imposes a massive save penalty, ofc. As a test, try spawning Bodhi and then letting her level drain you. See how it affects Sorsha's saves. I just tried with my L19 beastmaster. She lost 8.

I've just tested it and you're right - I never knew that the impact of level drain on saves is so significant and I had always assumed that it only reverts any level-based reductions (whereby bards hit the last milestone at L21).

Saving throws at L39:
2024-03-22_2328_1.jpg

Reduced saves at L34:
2024-03-22_2327_1.jpg

The hypothesis: Sitting at save vs. spell of -11 during the Pocket Plane challenge, Sorsha got level drained by Bodhi for 5 levels in a single hit. This would reduce her save vs. spell by 16 (!) points to the total of 5. Accounting for the ProEvil +2 bonus would effectively make it 3. I believe that SCS never assigns transmuter class to its Smarter Mages (since they're all abjuration freaks, just like no-reloaders), so Jon's Sphere of Death should not carry any penalty. Still, 3 is not 1, and Sorsha failed her save, upon which there was a 10% chance of being disintegrated. And 10% is not 0%. If only we had managed to finish casting Shadow Door before the spell struck, our saves would still remain negative.

I said that we'd been killed by the Amulet of Seldarine. In truth, the run came to an end due to my complacency. Wearing the Amulet of Power during the vast majority of SoA, I've completely lost the ability to recognize level drain as a threat. And the price to be paid for such mistakes is often what we just saw here.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
I never knew that the impact of level drain on saves is so significant and I had always assumed that it only reverts any level-based reductions (whereby bards hit the last milestone at L21).
It's counter intuitive, right? Impossible to anticipate. I learned that one the hard way, too.

In my case it was in Firkraag's pleasure palace. My high level halfling was level drained and then immediately failed her save to Domination. It seemed impossible to me until I checked her saves under level drain. Fooey...

Still, It was a great run, Borco! I'm looking forward to the next one, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that.

Cheers,

A.

Borco

Habitué
Xanthi, human barbarian: Introduction

Technical notes:
Game version: BGEE 2.6.6.0 (no SoD)
Difficulty: Insane
Mods: SCS (v34.3) with all tactical and AI components; BG Tweaks (cosmetic changes - removal of helmet animations and blur effects from items)
Modified SCS components: Giant Spiders (Tactical)

The BG playing fever is in full swing (insofar as other commitments permit) and we have a new Bhaalspawn entering the gauntlet - her name is Xanthi and she's a human barbarian.

1711481324985.jpeg

(Portrait kindly borrowed from ThreeMachine at DeviantArt)

Why human, you might ask? After all, halflings, dwarves and even half-orcs make much better barbarians, right? Right! Although in role playing games, what's best from the power perspective may not always correspond with the desired character concept. With Xanthi, I really wanted to play along this amazon / valkyrie-esque theme and human seemed like the best fit to convey that idea.

Her starting weapon proficiencies are flails 2x and slings 2x.
1711481485488.jpeg
Just like Sorsha before her, Xanthi was also granted a personal item created via NearInfinity.
1711481524608.jpeg
1711481531119.jpeg
It works as a regular Protection of Evil scroll (arcane), with the exception that its single charge per day is renewed upon resting. The spell casts at level 10, lasts for 2 turns and is normally dispellable. Again, the purpose of this was to provide the character with a relevant benefit as well as little bit of flavor, without compromising the game balance. ProEvil came across as a sensible choice in order to partially compensate the lack of shorty saving throw bonuses otherwise available to halfling and dwarven barbarians. To make up for the extra advantage, I deliberately kept Xanthi's stats just below the min-maxing zone by capping her starting STR score at 17.

So, without further ado, let's hit the Sword Coast.

I like to start my runs by posting the screenshot of the dead belt ogre, so here you go.
1711481605148.jpeg
With RoP + 1 and Girdle of Piercing in our possession, we continued north to the FAI, where we collected the Ring of Wizardry and assisted Joia with her little hobgoblin problem.
1711481640429.jpeg
I would normally not dare to face Tarnesh with level 1 solo character, but Xanthi was an exception. She's bold to the point of recklessness and, conveniently, has access to temporary sleep and fear immunities via Barbarian Rage. Where Xanthi wants to go, I merely follow.

With ProEvil (via her personal item) up, Xanthi approached the entrance to the inn where she got intercepted by the mage. I expected nothing less from her then telling him to mind his own business…

1711481692202.png

If it's a fight you want, then a fight you'll get.
1711481737992.jpeg
Xanthi's opening bullet hit one of Tarnesh's insta-cast images and he immediately followed up with an enchantment spell. Ever the fast learner, Xanthi had been capable of recognizing various spell incantations and estimating their probable effects since her Candlekeep days. With the enchantment school at play, she knew it was time to tap into her inner rage.
1711481773305.jpeg
Xanthi felt the instant rush of energy - easily resisting the Sleep spell, she released another bullet from her sling. This time it landed true, its powerful momentum blasting Tarnesh's skull into pieces.
1711481787974.jpeg
Upon searching his body, she discovered the bounty notice. Apparently unperturbed by the fact in light of the more pressing events of the past 48 hours, Xanthi was somewhat disappointed to find out that the prize money on her head is only 200. If nothing else, she was ready to prove that she's worth much more than that.
1711481797709.jpeg
Xanthi then proceeded to the rendezvous with Khalid and Jaheira, as instructed by Gorion, eventually rejecting their offer to travel together. Jaheira insisted that she at least takes the Potion of Invisibility for emergency purposes. Reluctantly, Xanthi accepted the gift, expanding her potion collection comprised of Potion of Clarity (from the Candlekeep Inn), Potion of Antidote (from Hull's chest), 2x Oil of Speed (from Imoen and Montaron) and several Potions of Minor Healing.

1711481816498.jpeg

Next destination: Beregost.

Regards,

B.

Borco

Habitué
Xanthi, human barbarian: Early Days

Xanthi's progress has been swift. She's like Mr Wolf from Pulp Fiction - she thinks fast, she talks fast, and she needs people around her to act fast if they wanna keep up. And I'm lagging behind, at least insofar as the coverage of the run is concerned. While she's dealing with the slavers in Amn, I'm just about to post on how was her first visit to Beregost, how she killed her first wolf and what happened to Melicamp. I'll do my best to get up to speed with my duties.

So yeah, Beregost. Are you also always looking forward to all those juicy experience points for appeasing Marl? I am, totally. But not Xanthi - she was in for a brawl, bare fists and all that. Spaghetti Western style.

1711753412688.jpeg

Marl was drunk, so the fight might not have been completely fair. In India, they have these official road signs that read like "After whisky, driving risky." or "You drive, you booze, you lose.", so maybe they ought to put one up at Feldepost's - "After whisky, driving fighting risky."
1711753441507.jpeg
Thank you Dunkin, I can tell. But he also cost us two health potions, so we don't like him either. We'll just grab the History of the Fateful Coin from the bar we're outta here. Goodbye.
1711753463827.jpeg
Did you know that Mr Borland living across the street from the Red Sheaf will let you couch surf at his place for free?! I did not!
1711753486191.jpeg
We took a nap, bought sling +1 from the smithy and set about dealing with the ogrillions and hobgoblins south of town. Xanthi even bumped into a Flaming Fist patrol while fighting off large bands of hobgoblins, but they just kept asking questions and did not seem to care at all about helping out. I can see why she hates cops.
1711753767369.jpeg
1711753758132.jpeg

1711753507545.jpeg
Roe's letter was delivered to Mirianne and Zhurlong got his boots back. He was so grateful that he even tipped off Xanthi that one of the local Flaming Fist officers keeps a valuable potion locked up in a chest at his home. Flaming Fist, you say? We'll rob 'em clean.
1711753526148.jpeg
Xanthi got to level 2 (I'll note that all my characters are allowed MAX HP roll for the first level up) and moved on to High Hedge, where we bought Wand of Sleep, Potion of Magic Blocking, Potion of Freedom and the potion case. With access to Sleep, Perdue's gnolls, Melickamp's wolf, Zargal's band and Landrin's spiders all became easy targets.
1711753542492.jpeg
1711753546737.jpeg
1711753570853.jpeg
1711753583023.jpeg
Karlat, the hired gun in the Red Sheaf, was slightly more tricky. He likes to quaff strength potions and can pose a serious threat. Using her movement speed advantage, Xanthi kited him at range. One thing I've been struggling with during the run was is 1.5 APR of our sling - I can kite with 3 APR darts, 2 APR bows or even 1 APR slings, but with 1.5 APR I could not get the hang of the proper timing. More often than not, Xanthi ended up attacking only once per round. Nevertheless, the extra 1/2 APR at level 7 was on the horizon and that should fix it.
1711753604232.jpeg
Xanthi then wanted a magical shield and so I took her to the lake area to earn it by defeating Bjornin's half-ogres. While there, I decided to check out Teyngan's three-man band. I usually avoid them, because they're more trouble than they're worth, but Xanthi felt confident enough to handle them.

Alright then, what have we here? A fighter, a mage and an archer. That's a pretty heavy combination for early stages of the game.
1711753630552.jpeg
After Teyngan opened with an Oil of Speed quaff, I realized that we shouldn't be here. Xanthi countered Jemby's Sleep via Barbarian Rage and retreated.
1711753647923.jpeg
With the hasted fighter at her heels, Xanthi got tagged by another enchantment spell from Jemby. What could it be? Another Sleep? Unlikely. Dire Charm? We should be safe against that. But we were wrong.
1711753659399.jpeg
It's my first playthrough on Insane and I don't recall Hardcore SCS mages using Ray of Enfeeblement. I like it, despite putting Xanthi into this sticky situation. We had two options - either Potion of Magic Blocking or Potion of Invisibility. We opted for the cheaper alternative, of course only relatively speaking given that PoIs are not easily accessible at this stage of the game.
1711753677792.jpeg
We were at risk of divination, but fortunately Jemby did not seem to have any. Xanthi waited for her strength to recover and escaped. She now carries an emergency Potion of Strength, should Ray of Enfeeblement come into play once again in the future.

Oh yes, and Melickamp died. We take comfort from the fact that he at least hadn't become wolf food.
1711753693137.jpeg

Regards,

B.

Last edited:

JustKneller

Habitué
I would squeeze a little more thieving out of Imoen before she dualed <<risk reward balance choice= FUN FACTOR ...I recall that exact tower and the same dilemma 20 years ago.

I might have mentioned this elsewhere, but Imoen's dual is weird in the original game. She is listed as a Thief 7/Mage X in BG2, but her skills are actually Thief 6/Mage X. The latter makes much more sense because (with six levels) she can max FT have respectable OL, and still max her mage levels in the first game. The EE "fixes" this by giving Thief 7 skill points, but mostly puts them into worthless things.

I've started dualing her at level 6 some time ago and that's canon to me. :)

Top Bottom