The Core of Diablo

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

Eurogamer spoke to Diablo general manager Rod Fergusson and Diablo 4 game director Joe Shely, and they managed "to cover most of the hot topics from the weekend". A few quotes:

"Joe and I have been talking about that in order for D4 to succeed, it had to walk this line between nostalgia of what is the best essence from D1, D2 and D3, and then what's the new innovation for D4? Because if it's too nostalgic, it's the same old game, why am I playing? And if it's too new then it's not a Diablo game, where's the stuff I love?

And I found the Butcher hits the nostalgia note for everybody who's ever fought a Butcher before, and especially in the way that it's done. The Butcher existed in D3 as a boss in an arena and that didn't feel as true to the expression of what it was in D1, whereas this feels like a much truer expression that can surprise you and so it really plays off that nostalgia. But if you've never seen a Butcher before and you don't know what it is, it's still exciting and fun to play, and it still creates that really memorable moment because we're seeing streamers and creators post their "What the heck is this?!" [content] which is awesome."

"Whenever we make changes to the game, it affects the balance, so balance is a continual progression. And in particular, this beta - in addition to the technical aspects that Rod was talking about - is an opportunity for us to look at balance in the wild and make improvements. So certainly there are things like: Hammer of the Ancients is a little bit underpowered and Frost Sorcerers are pretty strong; Arc Lash is a little weak right now. There's a few things like that.

But in general, there are no classes that are only for the really skilled people. When you see that campfire line-up, it's not just mechanics that you're choosing, it's also the class fantasy. So if you have, for example, a fantasy of being a Rogue, we don't want you to pick Rogue because you think that character looks really cool, and then for us to come back and say, "Oh no, that's only for the people who have sixty hours of Diablo".

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
I've finally decided to close another gap in my education and got Diablo 1 on GOG. Been thinking about D2R for a while, but Antimatter suggested D1 is gaming history and should be played first, so I have someone to blame if I try it for science and end up not liking it. If I get into it, I might continue to D2R and find out if it's possible to learn not to suck at it even when starting at advanced age 💀

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I've finally decided to close another gap in my education and got Diablo 1 on GOG. Been thinking about D2R for a while, but Antimatter suggested D1 is gaming history and should be played first, so I have someone to blame if I try it for science and end up not liking it. If I get into it, I might continue to D2R and find out if it's possible to learn not to suck at it even when starting at advanced age 💀

Interesting choice. Diablo 1 has the most grim and dense atmosphere from the three games released so far, but may turn up to be too archaic for your tastes. I'm curious how'd you find in this genre, when 90% of time is to (almost) mindlessly hit the mouse button to kill swarms of enemies. I enjoyed it immensely 20+ years ago, but when I tried D2 Resurrected a couple of months ago, the charm was mostly gone. It was fun still, but not the same. Plus I suck with this game now, and after realizing that with my build I have no chance to kill the Act 3 boss, I lost interest.

If one can grow up from specific type of games, I guess I can say that about myself when it comes to the hack & slash genre.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
The first (and only) time I finished Diablo 1 was in 2021. I could never figure out how to play properly in 1997 and 1998, heh, always died in the Catacombs. I still remember my experience with it from 2021. A unique feeling, almost as if I played an old game and an indie modern game at the same time. It gave me emotion and left something to remember. The game still has an exceptional sound design (even for 2023), gives the player the feeling of progression and horror. And it's not a long game, shouldn't take you more than 15 hours, I think, to finish.

qg7nvp1f5fvw.jpg

348hnqzs6jl7.jpg

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
But if you've never seen a Butcher before and you don't know what it is, it's still exciting and fun to play, and it still creates that really memorable moment because we're seeing streamers and creators post their "What the heck is this?!" [content] which is awesome."

Hah, yeah. I feel thoroughly initiated now that I had my own "What the heck is this?!" moment.

But first things first. I started to play Diablo, chose a warrior, named him Primus because he's my first, and walked around the town.

2023-03-22_1811_2.png

My first impression was that the graphics are dated of course, but in a charming way, and the look is relatively familiar, reminding of BG1, only slightly older.
What I absolutely like is the sound. The music in the town is nice, the haunting sound in the dungeon with the anticipating drums, and the cute sound effects when gold or loot are flying, or when you kill a zombie or skeleton and their head or limbs pop off :).
Combat on level 1 and 2 of the church was fairly easy, if I remembered not to let myself be flanked (melee... using one-handed weapon and shield) and find a nice door to stand in and let the monsters line up for killing.

And then, yes, of course, on the second level, I saw a room within a room, there seemed to be corpses hanging in there, I opened the door, something came out and started hacking me to death with the speed of a sewing machine, I tried to flee but I got... butchered.

2023-03-22_2006_1.png

So yes, now I know the "What the heck???" feeling of running into the Butcher.

I reloaded, went about my way and left him for another time.

I didn't quite know how to level my character, thought vitality and strength were probably best to invest in, but asked the internet and the usual advice was to max out Dexterity first, because what use is the warrior's damage bonus through strength when he misses half of his hits? A miss is exactly 0 damage, so that made sense to me, and until now it has paid off.
Combat continued to be easy, even with monsters that dealt more damage or attacked faster or drained mana (which I'm not using anyway at this point), as long as I remembered not getting flanked, until I reached the 4th level of the dungeon and met archers.
It's fun! They shot at me, I ran (well... walked. movement speed is the one thing in this game that would drive me nuts if there weren't Town Portal scrolls) towards them, they walked away at the same speed, so this felt like trying to corner the king with one pawn only... and of course following one enemy if I don't have a ranged weapon led to interesting surprises:

2023-03-23_1845_1.png

Yay, aggroing the whole large mob just because I walked after that one guy!
Or opening a door and facing all those arrows:

2023-03-23_1835_1.png

Zigazagging, trying to avoid them, draw them out, split them up, or corner them to be able to finally hit them is surprisingly fun!
Of course I could simply try using a bow myself, but right now it's more fun this way, and boosting Dexterity also gives me good AC, plus the shield for blocking.

And then I got my first unique item!

2023-03-23_1930_1.png

+200% damage vs demons!

I had cleared the 4th floor of the dungeon, my character has level 10, I have a good weapon against demons, so I figured I should go and get my revenge against the Butcher! I was really, really nervous about facing him again, but my AC and To Hit are quite good for my current level I think, and that weapon is perfect against him. I didn't even take any damage against him. Sweet revenge!

2023-03-24_1758_1.png

Nice!

I'm sure it will become harder soon, so I'll try to remain vigilant, but I'm really surprised how much fun I'm having until now!

Diablo_stats.png

Here's the weapon I'm using when I don't need the demon cudgel:

Mace.png

And my shield:

Shield.png

Also, a ring that gives +8 Dex, and another one that gives light radius and 16% magic resistance.

The 5th level looks different from the ones before, not surer what to expect, something more difficult and probably at some point magic users too... for now, my only reload was that first unexpected meeting with the Butcher, and I'd like to keep that counter low, but I have no idea what I'm going to find down there, and the slightly nervous anticipation is a great feeling!

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Big people from Wall Street call Diablo 4 "a surprise hit". I guess gaming still has some grounds to win over.

The Diablo franchise is one of the most popular. Diablo 2 won the Guinness Book of World Records title as the "Fastest Game Ever Sold" in 2000 and is still considered to be one of the best aRPGs of all time. Diablo 3 was the "Fastest Selling PC Game" and held that title for 10 years.

Full quote from the article:

"One of those delayed titles—“Diablo IV”—is now shaping up to be a major hit. A beta test of the game in March gave an early indication: Activision said more than a million players reached at least level 20 in the game. “This is an impressive number considering it was pre-orders only, likely took 15+ hours, and when the game launches, all progress resets,” wrote Andrew Uerkwitz of Jefferies in a note to clients. He boosted his sales target for “Diablo IV” this year by 20% to 18 million units following its planned release in June. Its predecessor sold 12 million units during its release year in 2012."

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so I was about to give an update on Kristin and something bad happened. BAsically, I am unable to find any material on my PC from beating act I nightmare, nor anything related to some Andariel runs I did. So I did Radament quest from Act II just to give at the very least, some update.

The other thing is, I am not feeling like playing this character at the moment for a reason I am unable to specify. I migth as well roll another character in meanwhile.
View attachment 3551
View attachment 3552
View attachment 3553
Oddly enough, because of all the Diablo discussions lately, I felt a pull of my last assassin, Mara (do you remember her?). And looks like Mara will continue where your Kristin stopped (especially since Radament dropped (a rare occurrence!) 2 unique items, something like that always makes me want to play D2 more). These 2 are very similar, concept-wise, with a few differences in their builds:

Screenshot086.png

Screenshot087.png

Screenshot088.png

Screenshot089.png

Actually, comparing Kristin's and Mara's stats, I can't help but notice a big difference in Attack Rating--did you have problems with hitting targets, @O_Bruce?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
So, D4 got released for Ultimate pre-order players, and it seems the launch is very smooth (unless you're on PS5). When was the last time when a gigantic live-service game launched without many issues?

D4 Tavern users, Antimatter asks to provide screenshots and impressions. You know, for science!

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
So, D4 got released for Ultimate pre-order players, and it seems the launch is very smooth (unless you're on PS5). When was the last time when a gigantic live-service game launched without many issues?

D4 Tavern users, Antimatter asks to provide screenshots and impressions. You know, for science!
I can confirm I had no problems on XBox... took around one or two minutes to login to Battle.net instead of a few seconds, but otherwise it was quite stable.

O_Bruce

Habitué

Aramaki the Druid playthrough

Greetings, denizens of the Tavern. Due to me not feeling like continuing my Assassin playthrough at the moment,
I have decided to focus on something else. Due to the fact that my appreciation for Druids in fantasy rose lately for some
unspecified reason, I have decided to do Druid hardcore run. So, what rules will Aaramaki be forced to obey?

- Hardcore playthrough only, obviously
- Players 1
- No grinding, meaning playing just through the story content
- Must find every Waypoint
- Must visit every side dungeon and find the special chest in there
- For small side areas like temples in Kurast, the goal is to clear the whole area
- No resetting for more manageable monster spawns

What's the game plan?

- Arctic Blast for main cold damage attack
- Wolves and Bear for dealing physical damage
- Either Rogue or Iron Wolf for dealing Fire-type damage
- Cyclone Armor for synergy with Arctic Blast and additional protection from elemental damage
In other words, WINTERFRESH POWER

... Until I will be forced to respect due to Arctic Blast damage falling way too behind, that is.

Let's start!

... That being said, my playthrough through Normal difficulty will be very short and I won't have much to say. Having played through Diablo 2 tons of times,
I am done with normal difficulty on autopilot almost. Excuse me for almost no description at all. Also, I'm playing in the Polish language. Ok, screw this. Have some videos that will give you a picture:

So:
1685739237069.png

Aramaki has become a Destroyer. Cain seems to be happy about it!
PS. Moo

1685739328384.png

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I feel ever stronger urge to buy Diablo IV, but the pricing is killing me right now :( From what I see, the game is a blast and the Polish version is very well done (with the one and only the best narrator voice ever).

O_Bruce

Habitué
I feel ever stronger urge to buy Diablo IV, but the pricing is killing me right now :( From what I see, the game is a blast and the Polish version is very well done (with the one and only the best narrator voice ever).
Yeah, the pricing is huge. Though if you consider its value per hour played, it might be more than worth the price.
And yes, Polish version appears to be really well done. And Fronczewski isn't going to disappoint

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
All right... bad things happened. I got swayed by ancient evil being. Being so strikingly beautiful, and yet... disturbingly intimidating. She said gold is just a wordly possession, that I don't need, to feel alive. She also said, that the true knowledge can be found in a place, called Sanctuary. This... city... is guarded by an ancient warden, who can get me in, if I give up some of the gold, that I supposedly don't need. A mere 89.99 gold, she said - a small price for an infinite knowledge that lies there, just waiting for me to reach for it.

The name of this magnificent creature was... Lilith. And I bowed before her wisdom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom