Baldur's Gate III News

Nimran

Habitué
Druids are fun! You can do practically anything as a Druid. Wanna go full caster? Druid spells are some of the most unique spells in the game, and in 5E in general! Wanna play a tank? Circle of the Moon shapeshifting can give you that! Wanna make a bunch of undead minions? Circle of Spores makes you a better necromancer than an actual necromancer (at least at lower levels, which is most of the game)! I’d argue that druids are great for beginners, as they can support any play style.

Butters

Habitué
Druids are fun! You can do practically anything as a Druid. Wanna go full caster? Druid spells are some of the most unique spells in the game, and in 5E in general! Wanna play a tank? Circle of the Moon shapeshifting can give you that! Wanna make a bunch of undead minions? Circle of Spores makes you a better necromancer than an actual necromancer (at least at lower levels, which is most of the game)! I’d argue that druids are great for beginners, as they can support any play style.
Love that! thanks for the encouragement. So nice to see such positive feedback especially since I rarely see Druid as one of the top picks when I read through everyone's anticipated choices before the game came out.

Zaxares

Habitué
I'm actually quite impressed with how well the game is running on my 5-year old machine (with an nVidia GeForce 1080 GTX), although I think that as I get further out into the world and take on bigger battles, the strain will start to show. I might have to consider an upgrade soon. XD

Butters

Habitué
Just found the best news for Druids: Bears in Chairs!

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 9.33.42 AM.png

Zaxares

Habitué
I'm actually quite impressed with how well the game is running on my 5-year old machine (with an nVidia GeForce 1080 GTX), although I think that as I get further out into the world and take on bigger battles, the strain will start to show. I might have to consider an upgrade soon. XD
So yeah, I reached Chapter 1 (wooooo!) and I definitely do need to upgrade my machine. :/ It struggled to load all the textures in time for the cinematics during the Nautiloid crash so during this one part where it showed a bunch of goblins running across a bridge, the bridge textures couldn't load fast enough and the goblins were just running across thin air. :p Time to start looking up PC parts, I guess! Hopefully by now graphics card prices have returned to normal after the stupid cryptocurrency craze.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
So yeah, I reached Chapter 1 (wooooo!) and I definitely do need to upgrade my machine. :/ It struggled to load all the textures in time for the cinematics during the Nautiloid crash so during this one part where it showed a bunch of goblins running across a bridge, the bridge textures couldn't load fast enough and the goblins were just running across thin air. :p Time to start looking up PC parts, I guess! Hopefully by now graphics card prices have returned to normal after the stupid cryptocurrency craze.
As long as you don't go for the latest tech, you should find them at a reasonable price.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member

Did you try to switch between Vulcan and Direct 11? I have a I7-9750h, 16gb RAM, GTX 1660Ti (6gb), SSD driver, I'm playing on mix of Ultra and High, and I have those texture loading issues just occasionally (almost never). In fact it runs surprisingly great on my 2019 laptop.

Zaxares

Habitué
Did you try to switch between Vulcan and Direct 11? I have a I7-9750h, 16gb RAM, GTX 1660Ti (6gb), SSD driver, I'm playing on mix of Ultra and High, and I have those texture loading issues just occasionally (almost never). In fact it runs surprisingly great on my 2019 laptop.
I switched to DX11 right from the start since I heard that Vulkan was only suitable for more recent graphics cards. Generally, I don't experience many texture loading issues either, but I don't want the experience to be ruined by it (especially once I reach Baldur's Gate and there'll be a LOT more NPCs moving around.)

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I switched to DX11 right from the start since I heard that Vulkan was only suitable for more recent graphics cards. Generally, I don't experience many texture loading issues either, but I don't want the experience to be ruined by it (especially once I reach Baldur's Gate and there'll be a LOT more NPCs moving around.)
I play on Vulcan on my old GTX 1660Ti without any issues whatsoever. Maybe it's worth checking, if it improves the experience for you?

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
Yeap I was using Vulkan on my RTX 2060 but DirectX looks much better and uses the ray tracing capabilities of the RTX series.

shmity72

Habitué
If you’ve saved since updating, you won’t be able to load those saves until we’ve re-published Hotfix 4. Sorry about the inconvenience.

another reason to wait :) sorry friends

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
PC Gamer released an article where creative forces behind series like Fallout, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls, and Pillars of Eternity reacted to Baldur's Gate 3.

Josh Sawyer

I'm still making my way through Act I content, but I think I've seen enough to form some basic thoughts. The production values are crazy high, especially for a party-based D&D CRPG of this scope. I can see their dialogue trees in my mind's eye and even if a lot of the cinematic setup for those conversations are automated, it's a massive amount of work to stage them.

At its core, it still very much feels like an evolution of Divinity: Original Sin 2 using the 5E ruleset. The tone of the story and the companions feels pretty spot-on for a Baldur's Gate game: mostly light and fun with dark elements thrown in for a gleefully wicked edge. As with D:OS2, the level of interactivity in the world is extremely high and being able to work yourself out of (or into) tight corners by fiddling with the rules is a lot of fun.

I think there are only two areas of real criticism I have. One is that the UI can feel clumsy and clunky for a lot of actions. There are so many contextual actions you can perform on objects that the menus can get overloaded—and a lot of those actions are never tutorialized. The camera also continues to be a weak spot. I admit it's a personal and professional bias, but when I'm fighting the camera just to navigate a space or avoid mis-clicking on a faraway location, it's not an enjoyable experience.

The other is a bit more pervasive, but the way things like conversations and other interactions work in singleplayer feel significantly compromised by supporting a specific type of untethered multiplayer experience. For example, the lack of a straightforward, easily-accessible pause button in singleplayer is extremely jarring, especially considering how easy it is to accidentally start characters pathing toward a distant location via a dangerous route. Also the way that conversations can be entered, with lagging characters hovering in the background because they were a few steps outside of the radius, feels unnecessarily penalizing for someone who's just trying to go with the flow of the singleplayer campaign.

One more thought: I really like how consumables (eg, scrolls) and spells that can affect dialogue are incorporated into dialogue checks. It's something I've always wanted to do and I think it works really well in BG3.

Lis Moberly

What is the most striking to me is how Baldur's Gate 3 has taken part in the wave of plague narratives embraced by fantasy games in the last year, particularly among RPGs. While Baldur's Gate 3 was in development long before the pandemic, the concept of mass infection and its consequences cannot help but be recontextualized for this generation of players. At their core, plague narratives contrast the possible loss of life with the loss of our personhood.

The abundance of dialogue checks reflects this idea of loss amid infection immediately. In many RPGs, it is common to see no more than one or two checks in a dialogue choice bank, which often leads players to select them by default. Some games temper this impulse by ensuring that selecting a unique option does not always guarantee a positive result. However, BG33 pulls back on this impulse and then proceeds to tip it over the edge. Larian provides an avalanche of ways to persuade, intimidate, and use your experience as a specific species or class in each choice bank of all significant conversations. This accurately reflects the narrative BG3 has woven. Infection and plague happen in more than one way. It is physical, psychological, and relational. As Jill Lepore wrote so aptly of plague narratives for the New Yorker in 2020, "Reading is an infection, a burrowing into the brain: books contaminate, metaphorically, and even microbiologically." And as players, that infection is something we want. The conversations of BG3 make us feel powerful. It is the same experience our character is having as they embrace or resist the infection burrowed within them. In this way, BG3's conversation system reflects the story it tells. Like all plague narratives, the crux of your experience in the game is a choice to risk your physical life, or risk who you are as a person by succumbing to the power and control you hold.

And the game makes it clear—who you are as a person is understood by the relationships you choose to build. Your companions demonstrate this through the reactivity you see to the choices made throughout the game. It's my personal opinion that reactivity is the most pointed when characters the player has spent the most time with are impacted. This forces the player and the companion to reorient their relationship to reflect the player's actions. Whereas many would assume reactivity to the larger in-game choices or regional decisions a player made feel the most impactful, Larian reminds us it's the companions' reactions to smaller-scale choices made in side quests or world content that deal significant blows, because our companions were watching. After all, our choices carry the most weight when they impact the people we love.

Jeff Gardiner

My expectations for Balder's Gate 3 could not have been higher. I grew up playing Dungeons & Dragons, DMing campaigns in musty basements for most of my upbringing. After getting my master's degree instead of looking for a job I obsessively played Baldur’s Gate 2. I'd wake up in the morning, order Domino's Pizza and four liters of Diet Coke and proceed to play for 16 hours straight… for eight days straight. Within an hour of booting up BG3, Larian had not only met my unrealistically high expectations but far exceeded them.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a masterpiece. I am constantly astonished by the level of detail, the choices, the tactical decisions in combat, the attention to the character models, the VFX, and the way everything comes together. It's a marvelous, magical masterpiece that immediately suspends my disbelief every second I'm playing. I'm as obsessed with it as I was with Baldur's Gate 2. I'm running a solo campaign as well as a separate campaign playing co-op with my wife. In both campaigns, we're playing as mostly good characters, and despite that—because of the way the persuasion system works and the amount of subtlety in the decisions you make—we are experiencing vastly different games. These aren't just "pinch points" that are common in most RPGs, these are vast differences that build up over time. It's a real marvel to behold in a master class of RPG design.
An example of this sprawling spiraling branching decision-making is something that happens about halfway through Act 1. So if you haven't gotten here, this is a massive spoiler alert!

At this point in the story, you're confronted with a goblin camp. Most of the D&D I played was second edition, where you were taught that you go in spells blazing screaming "Kill 'em all!" However, if you do that in BG3, you end up in a precarious situation that usually ends in a party wipe. Learning this the hard way, I decided to proceed with caution. I've talked to several people and there are so many ways to approach this camp, but I decided to walk up to the front gates and charm my way in. Despite succeeding on all my rolls, the goblin asked me to do something. He asked me to rub shit on my face. Not only shit, but Worg shit. So, grimacing, I proceeded to do so and then my character model for the next several hours had a big schmear of crusted turd running down his face. Not only that, but I proceeded to be ridiculed and mocked by every goblin in the camp. This level of detail and thoughtfulness is put into every corner of this game.

I'm thrilled by wonderful RPGs, am thrilled that this game exists, and I cannot wait to play more. Larian deserves all the praise and success being heaped on them.

Check out more reactions in the article (by Brian Fargo, Mike Laidlaw, and Jeff Vogel).

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Larian released a Community Update about the way forward, and Swen also gave an interview to IGN:

I'd like to look at these bits critically because I am not happy about the language they use and the reasoning.

On July 18, 16 days before the game release, the Internet was hyping the 17k endings discovery, and this was supported by the Larian messaging as well.

Hundreds of media outlets wrote about it, and it helped to increase the hype (when BG3 was #1 as the top-selling game) to sky-high levels.

Turned out, it was a lie. No endings, no epilogues.

Now the Community Update says:

"We’re pretty strict with ourselves and our ideas. If it isn’t good - if it isn’t fun to play - it doesn’t make it into the game. One of the reasons why we trimmed the epilogue is because we were afraid the ending cinematics were becoming too long and would detract from the epicness of the experience. But clearly, not everyone agrees with us! So we’re going to do something about it."

What is that even? How? And how does it correspond with the previous expectations they have given players and rode their popularity with? I'd say it's to be expected to see epilogues after a 100+ hour adventure. There are multiple other games that provide a rewarding conclusion after hours and hours spent with your companions and other characters.

On July 31, 3 days before the game release, Larian released a Community Update about tadpoles and using them.

"While these creatures may be a source of great power, all that they offer comes with a cost. As the parasites' hosts, you must make a choice. Will you resist the powers and the corruption that comes with them or will you embrace them, risking your body, mind and soul to save the Realms... or destroy them?

The deeper you go through the illithid skill tree, the more powers you'll discover. But nothing comes without cost. While your companions can also consume parasites to gain their powers, not everyone in your party will agree to it, and your companions' perception of you can undergo a significant shift based on how you approach this opportunity."

Turned out, it was a lie. Companions don't mind you using tadpoles and consuming them. There are no consequences, unless you get to the 3rd tier of those abilities (and thus consume a lot of tadpoles actually).

Now the Community Update says:

"Baldur’s Gate 3 is a game with many release dates, and despite us moving its launch up by around a month, it’s still a couple years late. It was late because we grew teams, ambition, and ideas in function of it being the best game it could possibly be. Thankfully, not every idea makes it into the final launch. It wouldn’t be the game you enjoy if they did."

So does it mean the current situation where me not using any tadpoles in Act 1 when there is no consequence for using them is more fun? Does it mean that it's the best it could possibly be?

The Community Update says:

"What’s been datamined is not really cut content but content that we didn’t want to release because we didn’t think it worked."

Does that really say that cut content is not cut content? Then why later in the Update it says: "But that’s not to say Baldur’s Gate 3 didn’t see cuts just as every game."

And finally, about the Upper City.

"It’s just important to know that what ultimately shipped was planned long ago, in function primarily of making Baldur’s Gate 3 fun to play, not for us to close development quickly."

Well, on June 12 another update from them said:

"This weekend, we unveiled the city of Baldur's Gate for the very first time, with a glimpse behind its walls and around its familiar labyrinthine streets. It's been about 20 years since we last had a pint in the Elfsong Tavern or crawled through the sewers beneath the city streets and, as you might have spotted during the PC Gaming Show, many of these locations are back, and many news ones are waiting to be discovered for the first time - giving you a chance to explore the menacing roads of the Outer City, the opulent estates of the Upper City, and the dark alleys and pubs of the Lower City."

This huge section of the city was mentioned specifically by Swen in the final Panel From Hell on July 7, just four weeks before the full release.

So was it planned long ago to trim it? Read more about the Upper City's importance for companion quests and just the general story here (spoilers, though):

Black Elk

Habitué
I feel like everything newsworthy about BG3 has been sorta hearsay from the start of EA till now lol. I had so many BG3 articles coming at me the last few months, and unless they were interviews, lot of times it felt like something between robots culling reddit or their official forums to just kinda rehash whatever speculations were percolating there. I was never able to watch a full Panel from Hell, but the Niara cliffnotes were usually amusing for counterpoints. I do feel like for stuff that was sorta promo'd or winks or teases from the higher ups about what they're hoping to achieve for patch whatever carries a little more weight. To me what they didn't really do is build out an independent place, or hire a few mouthpieces to do the PR circus stuff, like all their moderators are volunteers on those home boards which still feel very Divinity themed, and it's like they've just always got their heads down or something. For me this game and everything about it has a lot of super charged emotions and my expectations are so high, cause BG, of course. I think I got a couple thousand hours out of my 65 bucks, so I can't really complain, but what I really want from them is something like a commitment to an expansion/sequel so we know it will have legs in the afterlife.

I feel like their choice to do an EA and invite feedback there, means that now that they've released it, pretty much everyone is in on the EA now. Like had this been the thing we'd been playing for 3 years, it would be pretty clean by this point I gotta imagine. It's a really nice template, it just needs like another couple hundred million dollars worth of content on top, and some sprucing for the UI and things like mod tools to get the unlock. Like a legit Sunday, all the toppings hehe. They should really set up a stand alone set site for BG3, and try to build that out to keep their community/playerbase cohesive, even when it's split across platforms.

Speaking of which, has anyone played on the PC using a controller? I forgot to try that, but might have to give it a go to see what the PS5 and eventually XBOX players are likely to get. I heard the UI has a different feel there. I just want to see them crack open some of those features so the peeps on Nexus can go to town. I think I might be at the point where I want to start trying to bust things up with mods, even though I still haven't completed the third Act hehe

Ps. Seems patch 2 just dropped, like a couple hours ago. That was rather sooner than I was guessing lol. Downloading now to see what's new

Last edited:
Top Bottom