Games you're looking forward to

InGameScientist

Habitué
@Antimatter I wrote that and then a few days afterwards, I learned about the regrettable (but respectful) decision for them to push out the launch date. It just means more to look forward to in 2024!!

I will say there's a dramatic decrease in releases in December - not many games with confirmed release dates, but I wrote about some games that I was interested here: https://ingamescientist.substack.com/p/new-games-to-whet-your-appetite-in-445 (hope this is ok to include external links, please please let me know if this isn't).

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the whole of the PC Gaming Show: Most Wanted video now, and here is their Top list - the whole list is cool, I didn't expect games like Holstin or Harold Halibut:

They showed a lot of trailers in-between, and this one was new for me personally - Unforetold: Witchstone:

The game has classic turn-based combat and stealth systems, and steeped in a universe from the mind of Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms. The trailer looked a bit rough but it showed a very early alpha version. The developer, Spearhead Games, positions the game as an "RPG sandbox", so definitely will keep an eye on it.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Stumbled upon it today and I'm curious how this one will develop:

A cleric and a goblin work together to solve a mystery in an urban weird fantasy world. Uses D&D 5E rules, and has plenty of Planescape: Torment and Disco Elysium in its DNA.

"In ESOTERIC EBB (by Christoffer Bodegård) you're a ridiculous cleric on a divine mission. Unravel a political web of incompetency as you delve deep into this ancient city full of devils, drunk sphinxes, and all manner of fantastical fools."

From the FAQ:

What's the current state of development?

In October of 2022 I finished the so-called 'DEMO' of Esoteric Ebb. This was a broad vertical slice -- a proof of concept -- containing ten unique characters, 50k words of dialog, two short quests, and one encounter. I am currently looking to pursue a full production of Esoteric Ebb.

Who am I?

I'm Chris! I'm a writer and game developer from Sweden. I've worked on a handful of titles in my career and I wrote my master's thesis on the topic of agency in dynamic dialog choices in interactive narratives. Don't look it up, it's terrible.

Why call it a 'Disco-like'?

The development of EBBRPG (as it is known internally) began in 2018 as an attempt to make another spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment actually. When Disco arrived in 2019 with its sexy vertical dialog box, open-ended interactive design, and talking skill system, I knew I wanted this to be a future path for the genre. So I took my old design and merged it with elements of Disco.So then I've been calling Ebb a 'Disco-like'. Will I keep calling it that? Who knows. Using a trendsetting game to codify genres has been a staple of games since... Pong? Doom? I don't know. It's old. But I honestly don't care about labels, Disco-like is just catchier than 'Non-combat focused text-heavy talking skill system RPG'. For now at least.

Isn't that a Point and Click Adventure game?

Oh, yeah! Right, I mean, sure. Esoteric Ebb is a Point and Click adventure game. Or an RPG. Or both. Fun!

"Esoteric Ebb has that spark⁠—not merely an imitation of our 2019 game of the year (Disco Elysium), but using that familiar format to go on its own RPG adventure.

You play as the world's worst cleric, already maybe the dumpiest of Dungeons & Dragons' classes. Sorry, cleric fans, but the ecclesiastical fantasy just doesn't do it for me, though their healing magic is always welcome. As Obsidian design director Josh Sawyer once quipped, echoing the great Ronnie Coleman, "everybody wants a cleric in the party, but ain't nobody want to main one."

All of which is to say I kind of appreciate being forced into that role by the game, building out and reconstructing this archetype in a new way. Even though your class is set, you still have freedom to choose the cleric's stats and play them any which way, maybe leaning into that "world's worst cleric" bit by giving them booboo Wisdom and cranked up Strength to be a bully-priest, or maxing Dexterity and Charisma for a more flashy, self-involved man of the cloth.

Esoteric Ebb adapts 5th edition D&D to Disco Elysium's style of exploratory, dialogue-focused RPG, and the retrofit works. Your attributes talk to you in the manner of Disco's skills, but you're rolling D20s now instead of Disco Elysium's bespoke system of 2d6 rolls. Even with the changes, Esoteric Ebb nails the slapstick, jittery feeling of your first run through Disco, with failed checks and ill-advised decisions leading to situations you just don't see in other RPGs."

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
KC: D 2 has been announced, and the trailer is masterfully done. Seems like the team is dedicated and are honest fans of what they're creating. The true vision, that wasn't possible in KC: D 1 due to the lack of resources and experience, is going to happen now. HYYYYYPE!

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
BG3...I KNOW! I know. I'm not a real RPG gamer if I haven't played it. lol I knew I would get sucked in at a time I didn't have a couple hours a day to do it, plus I wanted to wait for patches/dlc etc.

Soon...very soon, I'll grab a bowl of ice cream, dim the lights and dive into it.

LOL
There is an another big patch incoming, so better wait for it to go live, before starting. And I envy you get to play it for the first time 😁

Black Elk

Habitué
Not sure on the Mac stuff other than that I heard it was sorta lagging behind on the patches there for a hot minute, but I think it's caught up now? This is legit the first game in a long ass time where I've felt ever inch of my hardware translating directly into my overall experience of playing the game. Like every +1 anything seemed to make such a difference, pretty wild, cause usually I don't really get that. Like running at recommended specs or in 1080 and I'm usually happy, but here it was kinda jank, particularly in the EA where the system requirements were much lower. But then after it launched up it was like the difference between wearing a static electricity onesy vs glowing platemail +3, depending on whether nvidia wanted to play nice with settings and my riggins lol. I just bumped up my RAM again yesterday, cause I had a gift card I'd forgotten about, decided to juice this laptop to the hilts and double it up there! Made a huge difference. Same deal when I swooped the larger ssd, totally felt it. Or like running DLAA vs DLSS and that sort of stuff. It's just that sorta game where the min/max leans heavily towards max I guess lol.

BG3 makes me wish Frys Electronics was still a thing, like with some kinda giant cardboard Lae'zel pointing her swords towards the aisles and endcaps that had all the bonus kit and upgrades on super saver's discount!

I bet for the first leg of the game it's probably chill on whatever laptop, but then as it gets towards the tail end of the game especially, that's where I felt it the most and would be all playing with the settings overmuch and getting lost in that maze.

I was in a bit of a malaise lately on account of the no sequel news, but then inspired by Dev'zel season 2 and decided to get githranchy for whatever last patch might still be in the offing. Trying to keep it extra smooth and extra cool. It's funny for me cause I have a hardcore aversion to the mayo and the fancy aiolis and all that nonsense, like ever since I was a little kid, but in this case githyanki protocol is clear: 32-64gb is the new 16-24gb battering ram it would seem - I had to go for broke and dress it up hehe. This one is like quick quick fleet feet, and cranking the fans. Whatever it takes to keep it humming. Also, like for whatever afterlife poltergeist type stuff the mods might be able to summon up, though I haven't delved much into that for a while now. My timing is always off, second I try to mod something up, like guaranteed a hotfix happens within a couple hours, but the vanilla is pretty good for me. All I really prefer is the WASD and camera tweaks Mods, though I can play it without them well enough, it's more comfortable for me to have some pitch control and some steading cruising options for the run around. Still pretty fun though! I envy a first out! Wish I had that time stop time warp spell to have that experience again hahah. Enjoy!

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
Interesting… I may wait until my next computer for BG3. I still want to give the Pathfinder games a whirl, anyway.

Funnily enough, I remember hoping that BG 1&2 would play on my systems, back in the day. BG2 pushed my pc to its limits. 😂

Top Bottom