Industry News / Upcoming Games

Black Elk

Habitué
Yeah I mean I don't want to be too harsh, looking 'over their shoulder' while they're still in the kitchen, but there are only so many ways one can animate a knife or a broadsword slashing across the screen. This is the paradox with the 1st Person POV in this type of game, because they'll do all this stuff to make the view seem naturalistic, complete with head bob to make sure people get sufficiently dizzy when watching someone else play, but then sorta ruin it by using that same convention that the earliest 3d games adopted from the earliest attempts at this sort of thing. Aiming down the barrel, like Turok in 1997. Sure the overall look is much cleaner now, but it's got that same thing going on, of always needing to see the weapon so the player knows what's currently equipped. I don't know what to call it, since it's so ubiquitous now, but I guess we can just call it Jazz hands melee? heheh

I mean if this was our actual view, in order to achieve it we would have to walk around with our elbows at the same height as our shoulders, totally off balance with our weapons held way out in front of us, at such a distance that they could actually been seen by our eyes this way. This is why it cannot be animated to look any more realistic than it already does, because human beings don't ever move like this in reality. Now I'm thinking back to some flash in the pan games for comparison at the other end of the spectrum - anyone remember Demon Stone? The game kinda sucked, and I only picked it up because they got Patrick Stewart to narrate and it was based on a Salvatore story, but for all it's flaws it had some very beautiful early 3rd person animation that I see everywhere now. For example, the sorts of movements the half-drow rogue Zhai would do when she was sneaking or backstabbing. It was impressive for the time, despite the low poly by todays standards, because it was keying of a figure we could see.

If she did a backflip slice to go for the jugular, it looked like a choreographed Ballet or olympic gymnastics, whereas the same thing in a 1st person POV would probably just look as if someone tossed their shaky hand-held cam end over end - like a tomahawk, cause that's literally all you can do. They have to suggest the movement somehow though, by what's happening to all the other things in frame, so they do the GoPro thing. If I watched someone snowboarding down a half-pipe like that, I'm not really seeing the 1080 in full glory as a spectator, instead I'd see a whirl and spin in a flash, but without the benefit of my inner ear or a track/return for the eye's focal point, so that I could actually stick the landing without instant death from over-rotation or whatever lol.

Doing the POV/FOV like what we see promo'd, you can't rotoscope that, mocap or animate that stuff frame for frame using an actor, because people don't hold their hands like that in reality, like ever. It's an invented convention going back to the early shooters or the run and guns.

Try to do it in your living room with a broomstick and a butterknife, and see how weird it feels, like how high you have to crane your neck and shoulders, or how awkwardly you'd have to swing your weapons, to even approach this sort of camera view. Then compare that to the Fighting games, and how insane those looks now compared to Street Fighter II. I mean it's insane how much room there is to grow, when you can see the full figure. But then of course I'm super biased I suppose, cause I love figurative art! I like to see the figure. There's a reason why nobody ever does cover art in first person, why films adopt the 1st person sort of view only very sparingly, cause it makes a pretty poor illustration and a disorienting experience, we want to see the stuff that's going on. I even dream in 3rd person half the time now, cause the conventions are just that deeply engrained haha

ps. Random aside, so among the ancients, many thought the seat of consciousness was located in the chest rather than the head. So in Greek for example, the Thumos was where the spirit resided, the heart over the head. In order for the view to work, this is where the camera would have to be - body cam. Which is fine I suppose, except that we know how shit works now. It did alright for me in Morrowind though, and Skyrim. I enjoyed Bioshock, don't get me wrong! I can suspend disbelief as much as the next dude, but it's just that issue of not having a yardstick to properly measure against, for when something looks good vs whack. I can tell the difference between say an Iron Fist on netflix vs a Daredevil where they actually took the time, but if they were both shot fisheye lens mounted on the chest, would I ever be able to tell the difference there? Probably not, it would just be a blur lol. Hundred Eyes in Marco Polo was 100 times cooler, even though he was blind, cause we could still see him do all that badass Kung Fu! lol. Or I don't know, say we're watching Ali vs Frazier, but the whole time we only see Frazier hehe. Is it really still a rumble at that point? If they're going to save on animating the main figure, which I'm sure is the principle motivation more than anything in the mood or ambiance of the FOV, then that needs to be compensated for elsewhere. Skyrim did this quite well I think, where it's like OK not exactly my top choice for a view, but then the game made up for that in the environments and such, and also by just providing a 3rd person option too, even if it was a bit bare bones there. Anytime I found a new Thuum, I'd chest bump a bit and pretend that my soul was right there, in the core, rather than how I sometimes imagine it, as being sorta exactly where the camera sits in a typical 3rd person view and hovering in that position. I don't know, just the things that come to mind.

Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
There has been a lot of chatter about Palworld, but I haven't played that game, or a Pokemon game, so I can't really compare. However, this is bigger news now:

While this all started with a report, and datamined confirmation, that Hi-Fi Rush was coming to PlayStation and Switch, it has now grown to the point where an apparent massive shift in Xbox’s entire gaming philosophy is on the way. Reports are that it may release its biggest game of the generation so far, Starfield, on PS5 some time in the coming year (via XboxEra). And past that, they may be doing the same with Indiana Jones and the Great Circle (via The Verge), the just-previewed actioner from MachineGames.

Chronicler

Habitué
Does anyone even like Starfield? I've heard only bad things about it. Even from diehard Bethesda fans who like a lot of their poorly reviewed work.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Does anyone even like Starfield? I've heard only bad things about it. Even from diehard Bethesda fans who like a lot of their poorly reviewed work.
Yeah, I really liked Starfield. But approach to it with limited expectations. I basically wanted another Bethesda game, specifically Fallout in space, and I've got exactly what I wanted. I'd rate it 7/10 (in general) and 9/10 (as a Bethesda game). I wouldn't buy it for a full price, though.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
That's great to hear amid everything going on in the industry. Hopefully, more similar cases will follow.

Chronicler

Habitué
I've heard about a few games that have experimented with that. Forget some details, but I read about some remake of an old adventure game with one of those Text Loaders. You know "Pickup Ye Flask" type stuff. The developers thought it would be a good idea to hook it up with generative AI, so it could more intelligently respond to player prompts.

It had the opposite effect. The AI didn't understand context any better than the original text loader, but at least the original would reliably respond the same way to the same prompt every time. The new system became even more arcane and esoteric in its inner workings than the old system.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

In an interview at last week's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, the developers behind indie sensations Slay the Spire and Darkest Dungeon said that the deal some small developers have come to rely on for funding in recent years—like Epic Game Store exclusives and Xbox Game Pass—are no longer what they once were.

JustKneller

Habitué
I'm curious about this, too. I could think of a number of things that are happening here. The industry is getting more volatile so maybe investing in an indie project with an expected lower return is now too risky. Maybe platform managers (particularly the MS vs PS rivalry) are making things more insular. Maybe production budgets are rising for indie games much like games in general and they just aren't "cheap enough" investments any more. Maybe there's too much market saturation like there is/was in tabletop and the indie development scene has exceeded critical mass. I'm not nearly as well versed in the industry as I was 10 or so years ago. I know it's getting pretty brutal for everyone and good indie games are getting fewer and far between. At this rate, I think indie designers may have to go back to more grassroots methods like KS, but that's a lot of extra work for a questionable return. Maybe this will shift the orientation of indie design to be a little more retro and smaller scale, requiring less staff. I've played some pretty interesting games created by a single developer/person (Iji, Axiom Verge, Braid, Cave Story, etc.). Additionally, in order to stand out from the pack, this might push developers to explore/challenge various game mechanics and evolve gameplay itself. This is one advantage that scene has over AAA studios, who have to keep it pretty and play it safe in order to not risk their bottom line. Though, I'm probably pretty optimistic on this last point. The indie tabletop scene had the same opportunity but most of what was produced was watered down faff.

m7600

Habitué
When a huge corporation manages to pass off a game like Dave the Diver as an indie game, you know that something has gone wrong.

I definitely agree that real indie developers are likely to go back to a more grassroots way of doing things. To some extent this has already happened with the Old-School Renaissance (OSR) in tabletop. And I suspect that the same will be true of software in the near future. Personally, I'll take a mechanically clunky game with crude graphics over a super-polished but ultimately soulless AAA game any day of the week.

JustKneller

Habitué
To some extent this has already happened with the Old-School Renaissance (OSR) in tabletop.
Not to get off on a tangent, but I kind of consider OSR to be its own animal, partly due to the subculture, and partly due to the design goals. I found (what I read) was essentially a bunch of B/X (or other early edition) hacks with slight variations on the theme. My take on it was that everyone was creating what was/would have been the original core system with some house rules. A number of designers attempted high fidelity versions of earlier editions, but it was ironically entertaining to see some arguments about "how things were supposed to be done" with authentically original D&D. I never designed anything in that arena, but I've read/toyed around with a few of the entries in that genre, and the differences between were ever so slight in most cases. I didn't think there were any differences worth arguing about.

I think that Old School Essentials was the leader of the pack for OSR games, or at least one of them. I don't think it had anything to do with the design, though. I think it was mostly the presentation and marketing that nudged it ahead of its peers. I mean, I'm not saying their version was bad in any way, but that they all were so similar that one could have picked up really any of the free ones out there and had virtually the same experience.

Personally, I'll take a mechanically clunky game with crude graphics over a super-polished but ultimately soulless AAA game any day of the week.

I couldn't agree with this more. I think the thing that finally broke me for AAA games was Fallout 4. It was really just an overblown walking simulator with god awful writing and superficial RPG elements. While I was somewhat impressed by certain visuals (e.g. some things I saw in the Glowing Sea), I didn't feel like I was even playing a game. A lot of mainstream games give me the same vibes. Pretty, but vapid. I think if you totalled all of my time in AAA games from the past 10 years, it wouldn't come close to touching my play time of a single indie game I've played more extensively (i.e. Terraria).

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
This might turn out good.

Yeah, it turned out good. You can watch the VOD on YT now:

Top Bottom