The Music Thread

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Completely different direction. Haven't heard that song in a while, but it was on the car radio today. I like music that moves me, that hits the right mood and gives emotions, and that song is an example where everything just fits together, the voice, the melody and the general vibes.

Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member

Last week, Summerfall Studios in partnership with Humble Games hosted a live show for Stray Gods called Myth and Music from the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles. Now a VOD of the show is available! Within the show, we can see performances by Laura Bailey, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Ashley Johnson - as well as Q&As with some of the cast members.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
This was my favorite live music performance of all time and it's a tragedy that it's only gotten two likes on Youtube in 16 years. Something tells me my fellow RPG geeks will get it- or at least kind of get it.

Btw, we've increased the like total by 50%. One more like and we'll have doubled it! Hooray!

Last edited:

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
Speaking of soundtracks, how many of you still listen to the original game music when playing games? I stopped listening to the music in Baldur's Gate a decade ago. Instead, I stream dark ambient music that I find is more suitable for the game, and also less tiresome (how many times can you listen to the same music?). I rarely play new games, but it's a given that, if I do, I'll only listen to the OST a couple of times before switching to other music.

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Speaking of soundtracks, how many of you still listen to the original game music when playing games? I stopped listening to the music in Baldur's Gate a decade ago. Instead, I stream dark ambient music that I find is more suitable for the game, and also less tiresome (how many times can you listen to the same music?). I rarely play new games, but it's a given that, if I do, I'll only listen to the OST a couple of times before switching to other music.

I never do that. I always listen to the game soundtrack when I play a game. But I also haven't played any game so many times that I get tired of it, and I really like most game soundtracks, maybe even all of them. I could imagine maybe in a strategy game to listen to something else, but not in an RPG.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I never do that. I always listen to the game soundtrack when I play a game. But I also haven't played any game so many times that I get tired of it, and I really like most game soundtracks, maybe even all of them. I could imagine maybe in a strategy game to listen to something else, but not in an RPG.

Same here. I could stream the music in the games like Football Manager, or strategy games like Civilization, where music (or lack of it) does not impact my impression of the game. In any game where there is at least a hint of story, I find in-game music essential to my good experience.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
I always, always, always listen to the original game sounds in BG, since there is a lot of tactically relevant information conveyed via sound, most notably the incantations. If you know the level of your opponent, and a little bit about their scripts, you can usually deduce which spell they're about to cast based on whether they say cupio, facio, incertus, praeses, manus, scio, veritas or vita. That can help you deploy the right counter at the right time.

If you enjoy listening to your own soundtrack in BG, consider installing the Jimfix mod, which will give you a transcript of the incantations in the battle record. The knowledge may not be actionable to you now, at this stage of your development as a player, but you should give yourself the option of learning how to use it.

In the alternative, try to get good at identifying spell schools based on the animations. With the exception of Divination, this is harder, but it is possible

(As an FYI, I don't use JimFix's spell school identification component, since I prefer to rely on the information provided in the original game, but if I listened to my own soundtrack while I played, I'd definitely consider it.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom